Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i'm sitting here wondering if the noise i thought i heard was a rat trap in the attic going off and then suddenly had a realization. if I got a bluetooth beacon board, put a normally closed magnetic reed switch between the battery and the board, glued a small magnet on the rat-crushing part of the trap, and stuck the beacon board under where the magnet would be when the trap is set I would be able to tell without going up into the attic.

or I could just check sometime tomorrow and not spend $10 to instrument a $1.50 trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the dead rat is already part of a botnet posting fake news on facebook

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pity bump

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pram posted:

pity bump

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

good idea

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bloody posted:

good idea

the pity bump? yeah by far the best in this thread's history.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

computer with bluetooth

it's bad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Poniard posted:

computer with bluetooth

it's bad

actually, it’s good

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I love bluetooth. it’s a wonderful thing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

President Beep posted:

dont sign my posts

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i want to find an old boombox and add bluetooth

i just need to find one w/ the right ~aesthetic~

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i want to find an old boombox and add bluetooth

i just need to find one w/ the right ~aesthetic~

if you're in the us a goodwill store is likely to have a selection of ghetto blasters.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

President Beep posted:

I use the protocol every day

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
a hat with rgb leds in it that light up in a pattern you specify

but it is not synced to your phone, but your buddy’s. then you can use it to find each other in a big crowd

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

NFX posted:

a hat with rgb leds in it that light up in a pattern you specify

but it is not synced to your phone, but your buddy’s. then you can use it to find each other in a big crowd

oooh! how about a similar display, only it goes in your car’s rear window and it does speech to text!

i have no idea if this is even possible. I’m just an ideas guy. like, I don’t even know how to “make the wiki”.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Bluetooth speaker on my toliet so when I flush meaty turds it goes "omnomnomnom"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

PyPy posted:

Bluetooth speaker on my toliet so when I flush meaty turds it goes "omnomnomnom"
lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PyPy posted:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

PyPy posted:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Shifty Pony posted:

i'm sitting here wondering if the noise i thought i heard was a rat trap in the attic going off and then suddenly had a realization. if I got a bluetooth beacon board, put a normally closed magnetic reed switch between the battery and the board, glued a small magnet on the rat-crushing part of the trap, and stuck the beacon board under where the magnet would be when the trap is set I would be able to tell without going up into the attic.

or I could just check sometime tomorrow and not spend $10 to instrument a $1.50 trap.

A team from a major pest control company prototyped this at the last hackathon I went to. They also had a camera recording when went in to it wired up to goog's photo recognition thing. They rejected my request for that camera to activate slowmo mode when the trap actually went off

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

gonadic io posted:

They rejected my request for that camera to activate slowmo mode when the trap actually went off

lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PyPy posted:

this was a plot point on better call saul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83KLxQ1jjdg&hd=1

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bluetooth book

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a motorcycle and helmet both with bluetooth. the biek only has a speed limiter if you're wearing the helmet

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

a motorcycle and helmet both with bluetooth. the biek only has a speed limiter brakes if you're wearing the helmet

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

PyPy posted:

This except it also measures water displacement and has online leaderboards for biggest poops

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

gonadic io posted:

This except it also measures water displacement and has online leaderboards for biggest poops

This but it measures piss velocity & duration

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
literal pissing contests

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

bluetooth door hinges that play a person-specific little melody whenever someone enters a room.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gonadic io posted:

there you go. that's the hook right there.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i bought a 2$ bluetooth adapter for my car stereo on aliexpress

i didn't want something with a flimsy 3.5mm jack + microusb to power it. so i got one that was just usb, thinking that there's no way in hell that how i imagine it works is true

turns out, it's 100% true. this little fucker emulates a usb key with 10 mp3 files on it and streams the bluetooth audio on-the-fly. i'm guessing it only works with lovely car stereos with like 1 meg of ram that can't buffer the file at all.

it even works out pretty well when you skip a track using the car stereo. the usb key recognizes the stereo is trying to read the next file and it's sending the "next song" command via bluetooth.

the chinese guy in a basement who wrote that firmware is a genius

welp that's my bluetooth story

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
that's pretty good

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shifty Pony posted:

bluetooth door hinges that play a person-specific little melody whenever someone enters a room.

*dad in time with the door to create a duet as it opens slowly*

hiiii kiiiiiids were hoooome earllllyyyyyy

go play outside Skyler posted:

thats rad as hell and impressively clever

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

go play outside Skyler posted:

i bought a 2$ bluetooth adapter for my car stereo on aliexpress

i didn't want something with a flimsy 3.5mm jack + microusb to power it. so i got one that was just usb, thinking that there's no way in hell that how i imagine it works is true

turns out, it's 100% true. this little fucker emulates a usb key with 10 mp3 files on it and streams the bluetooth audio on-the-fly. i'm guessing it only works with lovely car stereos with like 1 meg of ram that can't buffer the file at all.

it even works out pretty well when you skip a track using the car stereo. the usb key recognizes the stereo is trying to read the next file and it's sending the "next song" command via bluetooth.

the chinese guy in a basement who wrote that firmware is a genius

that's a good story

it's the "shady 256 kb usb stick says it's 128gb" tech turned back to the side of good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

pity bump

pity gently caress

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

*dad in time with the door to create a duet as it opens slowly*

hiiii kiiiiiids were hoooome earllllyyyyyy

lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

echinopsis posted:

pity gently caress

these are usually sad and not mutually satisfying

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
one of those bluetooth things like tile except they're not the size/weight of a slate coaster.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

https://www.xignal.com/products/xignal-mousetrap

however i know that my mouse traps have caught a mouse when they run around the house meowing before dropping the mouse in my lap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

https://www.xignal.com/products/xignal-mousetrap

however i know that my mouse traps have caught a mouse when they run around the house meowing before dropping the mouse in my lap

They're practing for when the cattes rise up (against we who have invited an apex predator into our homes as the virgin invites in the vampire) and eat our eyeballs as we sleep.

Hth?

• Locked thread