Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Froghammer posted:

Does offensive white magic key off of Magic or Mind? I'm trying to make Rem work and it's kind of pertinent

Same question for summoners. I assume magic but there's a lot of overlap between summoner and healers.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
I don't NEED anything here, but there's a lot of great stuff including +ice equipment AND I have almost no dupes, so sure let's do one pull:

Rikku LMR/11

Always never pull.

Bruceski posted:

Same question for summoners. I assume magic but there's a lot of overlap between summoner and healers.

Summons are always magic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

All summon magic abilities scale with MAG, including Madeen. All white magic abilities scale with MND.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Not pulling on this banner, as six dupes is too risky for my blood. However, I decided to take a stab at my first 4* magicite after clearing all of the 3* a couple weeks ago. I have solid characters, but no water chain or imperils. I surely didn't expect to do well on attempt #1.

Kind of ugly, but it was good enough for a mastered win. I'll take it. :toot:

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.

Froghammer posted:

Does offensive white magic key off of Magic or Mind? I'm trying to make Rem work and it's kind of pertinent

Rem runs off MND, as do Minwu and Arc. Raines and Hope are fueled by MAG.

Also, hello new thread! :yayclod:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

on an unrelated note does anyone have a link to the list of answers for the current trivia game? i’m sitting out in the sun on my porch and it seems as good a time to knock those out as any but i literally know nothing about final fantasy games except that i think one has a guy called greg

About 80% of these questions have been things from the part of the games recreated in the record dungeons. I've never played 13 and I aced that one.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

All summon magic abilities scale with MAG, including Madeen. All white magic abilities scale with MND.

This is important enough to bear repeating. Aside from Ninjutsu (which has both MAG-based and ATK-based skills) and a few NAT-coded SBs, the ability type determines what stat an ability scales off of.

Black Magic, Summons, Witch Skills, and NAT-based damaging SBs (Trigger Happy's entry/CMD1, Wishing Star, etc) key off of MAG. In addition, a handful of Ninjutsu skills (the 3* Veils, Phantasm, Gust, Smoldering Fire, and Raging Storm) key off of MAG, but have a much lower hard cap since they pierce RES.

White Magic keys off of MND. This increases the amount of damage and healing you do with white magic, so high MND helps Rem as much as it helps Deuce. Mind also extends the length of dispellable buffs (Protect/Shell/Haste/Reflect) and Esuna-able debuffs (poison/stop/paralyze/silence/blind). NAT-based medica SBs (Trigger Happy CMD2, Selphie USB, etc) also keys off of MND, though they don't get boosts from +White in legend dives.

Everything else keys off of ATK. A couple of Knight skills (Armor Strike, Aegis Strike) and SBs (Steiner's SSB1) consider DEF in the equation for damage and are terrible because of it, but they still scale off of ATK as well.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 1, 2018

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm sleepy and Rikku is cool so I decided to do two pulls on Phase IV.

Turns out this game really, really wants me to use Tidus; got his ASB, USB, Glint, and Materia along with Squall's Materia/Glint. Poor Rikku.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

I wasn't sure if I should pull on this banner but all the cool people were doing it so I figured why not.

How useful is all that stuff? Please tell me the Snow thing is the worst because he's easily my least favorite Final Fantasy character of all time. I mean I care more about plowing through poo poo, but still.

A surfing dog?! fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 1, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Snow sucks, a chain is a chain though so you'd probably still want to use him unless you get the soon to be released Laguna chain. Squall's glint is great mostly for being race ice armor.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

This is important enough to bear repeating. Aside from Ninjutsu (which has both MAG-based and ATK-based skills) and a few NAT-coded SBs, the ability type determines what stat an ability scales off of.

Black Magic, Summons, Witch Skills, and NAT-based damaging SBs (Trigger Happy's entry/CMD1, Wishing Star, etc) key off of MAG. In addition, a handful of Ninjutsu skills (the 3* Veils, Phantasm, Gust, Smoldering Fire, and Raging Storm) key off of MAG, but have a much lower hard cap since they pierce RES.

White Magic keys off of MND. This increases the amount of damage and healing you do with white magic, so high MND helps Rem as much as it helps Deuce. Mind also extends the length of dispellable buffs (Protect/Shell/Haste/Reflect) and Esuna-able debuffs (poison/stop/paralyze/silence/blind). NAT-based medica SBs (Trigger Happy CMD2, Selphie USB, etc) also keys off of MND, though they don't get boosts from +White in legend dives.

Everything else keys off of ATK. A couple of Knight skills (Armor Strike, Aegis Strike) and SBs (Steiner's SSB1) consider DEF in the equation for damage and are terrible because of it, but they still scale off of ATK as well.
darkness is also mixed

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Indecisive posted:

Last fest I got boned by the water banner, 3 pulls with no good water gear, lets see if this one can remedy it

ACCEPTABLE

the LMR is tidus' only enwater so i guess i'll just have to hope he + yuffie can kill maliris quickfastly

:hfive:

Got the same draw myself, aside from also getting Squall's AOSB. Sadly it was just before bed so I forgot to screen cap it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

A surfing dog?! posted:

I wasn't sure if I should pull on this banner but all the cool people were doing it so I figured why not.

How useful is all that stuff? Please tell me the Snow thing is the worst because he's easily my least favorite Final Fantasy character of all time. I mean I care more about plowing through poo poo, but still.

People will tell you Snow's chain sucks compared to the others but I disagree. The hit point stock is the only reason my sub 30 Tiamat team doesn't immediately die.

It is also plenty good. The only ice breaks I use for Tiamat are his chain and Squall's AOSB.

I pulled it last fest while hoping for Rinoa's chain. I was salty but in the end it worked out well for me and I was so very wrong about it being bad.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 1, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Snow's Chain was probably the worst in the game back when Snow had no way of contributing to it without his other relics. These days, I don't know, Locke probably. I'm also really not a fan of Edward's new Holy Chain for a couple of reasons

Regardless, All Chains Are Good

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Poison Chain when

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Snow’s csb is fine, as is Snow himself. It’s the weakest chain and his ice skill is weaker than others’ but it gets the job done.

Snow also has the ice radiant shield (usb), a lifesiphonable last stand (bsb1) and a vessel of fate buff (bsb2).

His dive is miserable which is not uncommon for chain holders.

Problem is Laguna has the 2.0 ice chain that gets released later this week. Laguna has an excellent dive, has a great 5* ice ability and of course has the better chain.

Does that make Snow bad? I don’t think so. Just means Laguna’s the better deal but A Snow Is Fine Too.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

It took 3 years but I finally got my free 5 star

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Poison Magicite when

NE chains too plz

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sub-3% wipe on emerald weapon. i'm starting to think this guy's some kinda rear end in a top hat

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

emerald weapon is a huge dick yes

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Ive neglected the torments so Ive been kinda working on getting them done. Just did 250/300CM XIV today, so now I have an assortment of IV-VII, XI, and XII left to do

Probably not gonna get the IV 200CM done, my IV gear is absolutely poo poo* but I dont want to pull on the banner

*Well, not that bad, just not set up for this torment; Pencil BSB1, Rosa USB, Edge USB/BSB, Kain Chain/bsb. But nothing coherent or even one element. XI is pretty scattered too now that I think about it

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You will be totally fine with that gear on the FF4 200 CM. It's not hard to hit-and-run the trash if you need to, and the biggest concern you might have had in killing the Shadow Dragon fast is made easy by your AoEs. 200 CMs used to be more difficult because you'd have problems fitting a whole suite of Proshellga/hastega/Wall/damage buffs in, but nowadays you can just go with RW Tyro USB3 and win via sheer tenacity.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Are there any characters I should prioritize when trading in Hero Souls?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Tidus, Ramza, and Steiner give good RM's that are useful through all game, especially Tidus and Ramza.
TG cid also has a really good one, but at lvl 99.

The rest are whoever you want or get good relics for. Tyro and Cloud you get basically as you start the game so no need to nab them. Hero Souls are plentiful

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Grabbed OK's LMR. Thinking of grabbing Terra's OSB since I just pulled her USB and BSB.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 2, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I totally forgot I didnt do the FF1-3 summer relic draws

nabbed me Call of Duty's USB for FF3
Emperor BSSB for FF2, eyyy + Earth Rod
Wol BSSB for FF1

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
hello friends another dickensian dilemma for you all:

Do I grab Tyro LMR (Have Godwall) or OK LMR (Have m/pUSBs, VoF, SSB)?

I'm honestly leaning towards OK since he's going to be a mainstay in all my Mage teams, I think. That being said, Tyro LMR goodness cannot be overstated.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That's a tough one. OK with both USBs is gonna be a staple in a lot of parties, but generally if you need to bring Godwall you want it up ASAP, so an LMR for him could bean getting to stick the Thunder God RM on someone else.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I would also lean OK, just for allowing faster and stronger pew pew from the get go.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

there's a lot of bosses these days that force us to pick between old wall and OK not-burst for RW

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
So the only chain I currently have is Ramza's, is it worth pulling on this banner in hopes of getting a second (because there are two up for grabs) or waiting for the Laguna banner and pulling on that

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Depends on your Ice/Water situation. This is the worst of the fest banners, but if you really need Water it's your only option for a long time. Better ice banners are coming (this week in fact, I think).

That being said, Snow is fine and his chain is fine.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 2, 2018

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Ice is the one I'm really hoping for. Looks like I'm waiting, then.

YinLuKuei
Mar 6, 2004
Lurking for fun and profit
So a friend of mine decided to try this game after I did a couple days ago, and he did not get the 100 free mythril like I did. Was that a temporary thing?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
As I was sitting here a minute ago looking at my fully dived setzer I started wondering what the odds are that Dena makes any decent support skills in the future... maybe 5* versions of the breakdowns that hit multiple times? As of now a no poo poo support character seems like a waste of a slot. I guess this is a weird complaint since on content where pentabreaks work hes awesome.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Froghammer posted:

Ice is the one I'm really hoping for. Looks like I'm waiting, then.

If you're really looking to optimize, there's an FF8 banner in around 2 months or so that's absolutely amazing. The one coming this week is great, but the other is better.

YinLuKuei posted:

So a friend of mine decided to try this game after I did a couple days ago, and he did not get the 100 free mythril like I did. Was that a temporary thing?

Pretty sure it was temporary. I'm not sure when it ended, but if he didn't get it that's probably why.

PneumonicBook posted:

As I was sitting here a minute ago looking at my fully dived setzer I started wondering what the odds are that Dena makes any decent support skills in the future... maybe 5* versions of the breakdowns that hit multiple times? As of now a no poo poo support character seems like a waste of a slot. I guess this is a weird complaint since on content where pentabreaks work hes awesome.

Breaks are useful for every super boss up right now! In addition, 5* magicites are less break resistant than their precursors, so you may yet find a use for him!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ceaselessfuture posted:

Breaks are useful for every super boss up right now! In addition, 5* magicites are less break resistant than their precursors, so you may yet find a use for him!

I didn't know that about the 5* magicites, excellent. He'll also be able to put in work in the ff6 new torment I spose.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Breaks... are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

hello friends another dickensian dilemma for you all:

Do I grab Tyro LMR (Have Godwall) or OK LMR (Have m/pUSBs, VoF, SSB)?

I'm honestly leaning towards OK since he's going to be a mainstay in all my Mage teams, I think. That being said, Tyro LMR goodness cannot be overstated.

Facing a similar dilemma, but I'm missing OK mUSB, which makes me want to lean Tyro. Granted I've only used Tyro for multiplayer (I just got godwall in the USB draw, so I haven't worked him into anything yet) and OK is in most of my magicite teams, but I've got Ramaza BSB2+LMR for physical buffing (giving up that critfix does suck though). Anyone want to convince me one way or the other?

I'd definitely go with OK in your case though, he's a magic powerhouse with that USB. The good news is that, either way, you're just putting off the one you don't pick until next fest (or sooner) since I can't think of any better LMRs that have come out.