Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Final fest banner unless we get some kind of surprise draw yet. It’s a strong banner but how good it is for you personally will always need to be assessed individually, plus there’s always something else good comming soon after, too.

I do think it’s a banner that if you do pull, you you want to go heavy on.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Kheldarn posted:

Is this the final banner? As a returning player (who might as well be a new player), should I dump what I have into it?

It is the final fest banner, but if you're a new(ish) player it might not necessarily be the best for you. It's a really good banner in a vacuum though so it's not a bad idea to pull on.

For newbies, it has Aphmau and Relm BSBs which are both great tools to have.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Please rate my loot.

Aerith: BSB (White Materia)
Aerith: LRM (Flower Of The Slums)
Ayame: LMR (No Hesitation)
Cid (XIV): USB (Gauss Round)
Cloud: USB (Climirage)
Cloud Of Darkness: LMR (Spawn Of Darkness)
Cyan: BSB (Bushido Tempest)
Echo: SSB (Breaker's Gift)
Emperor: LMR (Soul Of Rebirth)
Garnet: LMR (Lover Of The Arts)
Gilgamesh: Chain (Historic Splendor)
Ignis: LRM (Earnest Chef)
Jecht: OSB (Blitz King)
Kefka: LMR (Conniving Clown)
Krile: LMR (Unbridled Enthusiasm)
Lightning: BSB (Focused Bolts)
Locke: USB (Burning Steel)
Marcus: BSB (Poison Impulse)
Maria: BSB (Meteor XVI)
Noctis: BSB (Kings Of Old)
Onion Knight: USB (Forbidden Wisdom)
Orlandeau: LRM (Supreme Swordsman)
Ovelia: USB (Divine Dispelna)
Porom: SSB (Sync)
Quistis: BSB (Hail to the Queen)
Rikku: LMR (Fixer Upper)
Rufus: SSB (Mako Barrage)
Rydia: LMR (Gifted Summoner)
Serah: SSB (Endless Blessings)
Squall: SSB (Blasting Zone)
Thancred: BSB (Kassatsu Katon)
Tidus: BSB (Sonic Strike)
Tifa: Glint (Zangan Awakening)
Umaro: BSB (Master's Voice)
Vaan: LMR (Undaunted Courage)
Yuffie: SSB (Gauntlet)

From what I gathered while trying to find out what each thingy was, it looks like I should build a Fire team...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You have a good Firestarter kit - Cid (XIV)/Gilgamesh/Locke is a strong setup, but they're pretty much completely reliant on abilities so depending on your orb stash it might have to wait for a bit. Thancred can fill in a slot with his BSB for an Imperil option as well and he can survive on his BSB commands.

There's the bones of a mage team in there as well - Onion Knight/Serah for buffing and Maria/Quistis as DPS. Not very elementally focused but it does the job til you have the options to start focusing on elements. Marcus also works as a pseudo-debuffer alongside Onion (who can be dived to use Full Break).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Scraped together one last pull.

I got... my god,

I GOT...

A fourth Tifa AOSB.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Please rate my loot.
From what I gathered while trying to find out what each thingy was, it looks like I should build a Fire team...

Ovelia's is a very solid healer USB, sadly she's kinda limited in what utility stuff she can do but she'll be a good healer for you. Mage teams generally want 2 stacking mag buffs, so with Serah's SSB + Onion Knight mUSB, you have the buffs to make a solid mage team, and Maria BSB is a very strong Earth mage tool (which are pretty rare). That Tidus BSB isn't terribly strong on it's own, but will become extremely useful if you get more powerful stuff for him. And yea with Gilgamesh chain + Locke USB + CidXIV USB you can probably do some very strong fire things. Cloud's USB2 there is solid as well, if not particularly overpowered by itself. Aeris will probably be an acceptable healer for content below the top-level stuff. The rest is pretty unremarkable I think, some good LMR's but without soul breaks to use an LMR alone isn't really enough reason to use someone. Tifa Glint will at least make her your top monk for now, and will probably help her do good damage with just monk skills.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Did anyone do a review of Banner 5 they could link me to? I know NZT used to do Banner reviews but I'm like 3000 posts behind in the old thread so skipped here to ask :downs:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

IllegallySober posted:

Did anyone do a review of Banner 5 they could link me to? I know NZT used to do Banner reviews but I'm like 3000 posts behind in the old thread so skipped here to ask :downs:
its good

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Finishing up some content I put off until a day off. I ended up not using my complete Ramza—I assumed he’d already been picked and used Minfilia and Curilla to support instead.

Maybe the best thing I picked up in a fest haul with three chains and half a dozen worthwhile USBs was Deuce’s BSB. That, plus a little luck with Zidane’s USB follow ups, plus the existence of a four-hit Wind spellblade, let me take out Bahamut just before everything completely fell apart for my party. It took about ten tries over the last week just to get there.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

IDK if anyone did a full banner review but I agree banner 5 is very good, Garnet chain is the prize obviously but Tifa / Ashe's USB's are amazing and the AOSBs are obviously very strong boss finishers but might not be good enough on their own. The BSB's are also all good ones if you dont have them already, the LMR/11 risk is ever-present of course but with only 3 lmr's its unlikely.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One note about Tifa usb - monk abilities are kind of meh, and while doubling does obviously make up for that in a big way - a much better one is coming soonish, might want to hold off on honing up too many gaia rushes now.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

5 pulls on festival banners, including three on Banner #4.

Still no chain.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm having a hard time with Hades. I'll keep banging my head against it on occasion but I'm wondering when we'll get another good holy banner. Any ideas?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

You have a good Firestarter kit - Cid (XIV)/Gilgamesh/Locke is a strong setup, but they're pretty much completely reliant on abilities so depending on your orb stash it might have to wait for a bit.

I've barely crafted anything, so my stash is OK, I guess? What do I need to look into crafting?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Four pulls on Banner #5 got me FIVE Tifa ASBs and no other discos.

At least I have her Glint and LMR to go with it?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

dragon_pamcake posted:

Four pulls on Banner #5 got me FIVE Tifa ASBs and no other discos.

At least I have her Glint and LMR to go with it?

That looks like a great combination to me. Fastcast, +monk, enElement, and a massive finisher.

Her LMR + Glint is better than Lightning's USB, isn't it?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

one more ill-advised pull

all dupes, nice

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IllegallySober posted:

Here's a Cliff Notes version:

Tifa ASB:
It's an ASB. +Earth fist which is cool and rare (but is a selectable option from Acolyte Archives if you haven't picked books 7/8 yet). Nice addition if you have the rest of her kit.

Ashe ASB:
It's an ASB. +Lightning mage sword, which is niche but if you don't have issues with hitting ATK caps can be thrown onto physical characters. You'll want either her BSB or USB to go along with this (the former is selectable).

Garnet CSB:
Gen-2 chains are always good, and this one is on a character that can Bard, Summon and/or backup heal. Also a +lightning armour if you so desire. Garnet has a few issues making the most use of her chain since she's limited to the 3-hit Valigarmanda, but if she has a battery meter, it combos well with her BSB2/USB. Gen-2 Magic chains are also the only source of MAG+50% other than a full stack of Mage's Hymn, so this'll help make hitting MAG caps much easier.

Tifa USB2:
Monk Ability Double that doesn't recur in the (known) future, and Tifa makes really good use of it. Her potential is somewhat limited to the iffy Gaia Rush until we get the 6* Earth Monk ability, but when we do Tifa is up there with Cinque as a top-tier Earth DPS. +Earth armour as well. Tifa can Fire spam if you're really struggling, but there are more than enough Fire Monks that you shouldn't ever need to.

Ashe USB:
Solid as you can expect. The chase doesn't trigger off Witch or Summoning for Ashe's version, so you'll have to hone Chain Thundaga. Palom is slightly stronger and more versatile, but also more hone hungry; chase based on the rest of your banner needs.

Maria BSB:
Works well enough, although the age will rapidly show in the future especially once we get Chain Stoneja. Doesn't quite compare to her USB, but still does the job well enough especially if you have an Earth chain. Maria's bad LM2 sets her back compared to Papalymo and Edea.

Ashe BSB:
+Lightning mage armour, decent offensive option due to the untaxed entry and commands. Doesn't hold a candle to the real top-tier options, but does the BSB job very well.

Garnet BSB2:
A lot of effects in one package, granting a (common) hybrid buff, Imperil Lightning, and access to 4/5-hit commands for helping the otherwise limited Garnet build a chain. A great swiss army knife option, and an otherwise rare +Lightning mage weapon. Recurs fairly often, however.

Aphmau BSB:
Mage buff + healing. Commands have Lightning element in case you want to tie it to a Lightning chain. Aphmau is a bit worse at the buffing healer job compared to Deuce, since her buff doesn't help physical teams and she can't Bard or W-Cast. She'll still do the job fine if you really need an extra source of buffing/healing.

Relm BSB:
Last Stand + instant heal commands. Not much to say here. Good enough for Crystal Tower, especially since Hastega is an ability now.

Tifa Glint:
You only really want to use it once for the double speed and maybe to refresh the duration, since you're subject to diminishing returns after that. Great for USB2, though keep an eye on those hones.

Ashe Glint:
Standard Empowered Infusion Glint.

Tifa/Ashe LMR:
Standard Enspell LMR. Good for starting the fight or if you're going the OSB/ASB spam route, but if you're getting the USBs up quickly this won't be of that much use. It's +Earth/Lightning armour at least.

Garnet LMR:
Great for a support-oriented Garnet. Her Trance lets her Bardsong much faster, which increases the chance of a Medica as well. Switch between this and her LM1 depending on what she's doing in a fight.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
I'm thrilled with how things went. Godwall eluded me again but my 6* ratio was great The good stuff I got:

Banner 1 (3 pulls): Both 2.0 chains, TGC USB, Seifer LMR
Banner 2 (2 pulls): Locke USB, dupe Terra AOSB
Banner 3 (1 pull): Cloud LMR2
Banner 4 (1 pull): Squall AOSB/Glint
Banner 5 (1 pull): Ashe USB

I have some considerations on potential characters to dive. I got Lightning's LMR on one of the freebie pulls to go along with her USB, OSB, BSB2 and Glint. I know her USB is considered to be a bit overrated since it was one of the first, but I imagine she'll continue to get great stuff down the road.
Ashe seems like a good candidate as well with that USB.
I'm not gonna do anything right now since I can sub-30 Kraken but I'll probably consider one of these two since I don't have any dedicated lightning characters with a LD.

Cloud's LMR2 is kinda neat. Does it proc separately from his LM2 so his BSB2 commands have two chances to dualcast?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Philouza posted:

Cloud's LMR2 is kinda neat. Does it proc separately from his LM2 so his BSB2 commands have two chances to dualcast?

Yes, though the chance is negligible enough where you are better off with his +damage one I think.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Scraped together one last pull.

I got... my god,

I GOT...

A fourth Tifa AOSB.

On the plus side that’s one sweet 8* +earth fist or two 7* ones?

Avalerion posted:

One note about Tifa usb - monk abilities are kind of meh, and while doubling does obviously make up for that in a big way - a much better one is coming soonish, might want to hold off on honing up too many gaia rushes now.

Thanks for this tip, you saved me a bunch of orbs.

With her USB2 is Tifa worth diving?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Good review. Ashe BSB actually isn’t on the banner oddly enough.

A bonus reason to pull here is that earth is needed against the first 5* magicite and lightning the immediate second. That’s why I kind of want to go in for a fourth pull but hopefully I can control myself.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

A bonus reason to pull here is that earth is needed against the first 5* magicite and lightning the immediate second.
This is why I pulled! And I was rewarded with Tifa USB and Garnet chain. Thanks DeNA.

Avalerion posted:

Earth and Fire Ironfist came out right before 5* magicite fights were released on JP which would be really convenient

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
i'm even pulling horribly in the JP version, I pretty much 0/11ed FFVI's banner 2.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

ApplesandOranges posted:

Here's a Cliff Notes version:

Tifa ASB:
It's an ASB. +Earth fist which is cool and rare (but is a selectable option from Acolyte Archives if you haven't picked books 7/8 yet). Nice addition if you have the rest of her kit.

Ashe ASB:
It's an ASB. +Lightning mage sword, which is niche but if you don't have issues with hitting ATK caps can be thrown onto physical characters. You'll want either her BSB or USB to go along with this (the former is selectable).

Garnet CSB:
Gen-2 chains are always good, and this one is on a character that can Bard, Summon and/or backup heal. Also a +lightning armour if you so desire. Garnet has a few issues making the most use of her chain since she's limited to the 3-hit Valigarmanda, but if she has a battery meter, it combos well with her BSB2/USB. Gen-2 Magic chains are also the only source of MAG+50% other than a full stack of Mage's Hymn, so this'll help make hitting MAG caps much easier.

Tifa USB2:
Monk Ability Double that doesn't recur in the (known) future, and Tifa makes really good use of it. Her potential is somewhat limited to the iffy Gaia Rush until we get the 6* Earth Monk ability, but when we do Tifa is up there with Cinque as a top-tier Earth DPS. +Earth armour as well. Tifa can Fire spam if you're really struggling, but there are more than enough Fire Monks that you shouldn't ever need to.

Ashe USB:
Solid as you can expect. The chase doesn't trigger off Witch or Summoning for Ashe's version, so you'll have to hone Chain Thundaga. Palom is slightly stronger and more versatile, but also more hone hungry; chase based on the rest of your banner needs.

Maria BSB:
Works well enough, although the age will rapidly show in the future especially once we get Chain Stoneja. Doesn't quite compare to her USB, but still does the job well enough especially if you have an Earth chain. Maria's bad LM2 sets her back compared to Papalymo and Edea.

Ashe BSB:
+Lightning mage armour, decent offensive option due to the untaxed entry and commands. Doesn't hold a candle to the real top-tier options, but does the BSB job very well.

Garnet BSB2:
A lot of effects in one package, granting a (common) hybrid buff, Imperil Lightning, and access to 4/5-hit commands for helping the otherwise limited Garnet build a chain. A great swiss army knife option, and an otherwise rare +Lightning mage weapon. Recurs fairly often, however.

Aphmau BSB:
Mage buff + healing. Commands have Lightning element in case you want to tie it to a Lightning chain. Aphmau is a bit worse at the buffing healer job compared to Deuce, since her buff doesn't help physical teams and she can't Bard or W-Cast. She'll still do the job fine if you really need an extra source of buffing/healing.

Relm BSB:
Last Stand + instant heal commands. Not much to say here. Good enough for Crystal Tower, especially since Hastega is an ability now.

Tifa Glint:
You only really want to use it once for the double speed and maybe to refresh the duration, since you're subject to diminishing returns after that. Great for USB2, though keep an eye on those hones.

Ashe Glint:
Standard Empowered Infusion Glint.

Tifa/Ashe LMR:
Standard Enspell LMR. Good for starting the fight or if you're going the OSB/ASB spam route, but if you're getting the USBs up quickly this won't be of that much use. It's +Earth/Lightning armour at least.

Garnet LMR:
Great for a support-oriented Garnet. Her Trance lets her Bardsong much faster, which increases the chance of a Medica as well. Switch between this and her LM1 depending on what she's doing in a fight.

This is great, thank you. Let's see what I get, only spending 100 gems and one pull here since I have a ton of stuff to catch up on and I'm not 100% certain of what I have or don't to go with these things:

100-gem: trash
Pull:

(turns out it's a dupe. Sigh)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Guess who has two thumbs and spent 100 mythril on Tifa's glint and LMR? (I have nothing else for Tifa)

Ugh, this game has just been a series of nut kicks recently.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
What's the advance word on Banner 1 from the next fest?

Just curious because I thought it might be a good place to try and snag a lightning chain down the line, but from some comments in Discord it sounds like it's not a well-regarded banner at all.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If you'd like to see the banners, start here (banner 1) and use the 'next' button near the top to move to the further banners. IMO it seems alright for a single-element banner, I'll almost certainly be pulling once or twice when it comes. The exact details of the banner will probably change anyway.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
100 gem:
Garnet LMR
3 pulls:
Ashe AOSB, Maria BSB (dupe), Tifa LMR
Ashe Glint, Maria BSB (dupe)
Tifa AOSB

Really wanted those USBs, but I gotta stop. At least that's some nice +element equipment; I can finally retire my 4* Gaia Gear.

If I wanted to dump a pull on the FFIV banners, I'm assuming chasing the double cast dream of Porom is better than the Cecils in terms of immediate application? How do the Cecils fair in the neo-torment?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i got myself garnet csb and bsb2 on banner 5, which is objectively good while being simultaneously irritating as i was pulling for earth stuff. my earth and wind will forever be bad i suppose. altho getting two things for one character that compliment each other is quite good, and adding a fourth character to my ffix synergy is also quite good.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Alright, the following is all I got during this Fest "Season":

Buff Lucky: 1/11 Tellah's Burst
Healer Lucky: 3/11 Minwu's Super, Aerith's First Ultra, Aphmau's Ultra

Realms on Parade
T/0/XV: Rem's Ultra (dupe)
XIV: Minfilia's Ultra
XIII: Snow's First Burst
XII: Vaan's Super (dupe)
XI: Prishe's Super
X: Jecht's Ultra
IX: Steiner's First Burst (dupe)
VIII: Selphie's Ultra
VII: Rude's Burst
VI: Sabin's Overstrike (dupe)
V: 2/3 Krile's Chain (dupe) AND Bartz's Fire Burst
IV: Tellah's Burst (dupe)
III: Luneth's Burst (dupe)
II: Firion's Burst (dupe)
I: Meia's Materia and Thief's Materia...

En-Element Lucky: 2/11 Leon's Ultra and Estinien's Ultra.
Overstrike Lucky: Skipped.
Ultra Lucky: 3/11 Kimahri's Ultra, Tifa's Super and Zidane's EnWind Super(dupe)

Banner 1: 5/22 Seifer's Chain, Tyro's "Godwall" Ultra, Seifer's Materia (times 2), Vanille's Burst (dupe).
Banner 2: 1/11 Krile's Burst (dupe)
Banner 3: Skipped.
Banner 4: Skipped.
Banner 5: 2/11 Tifa's Arcane (times 2)

With a very few exceptions (Mainly Godwall and Seifer's Chain), I felt like my luck peaked on RoP's VII Realm Pull, and from then on RNG went very hard against my desires on Fest: I pulled Banner 1 for Elarra, I get to reforge Mystletein; I pulled Banner for Terra & Greg, I get the one Dupe DeNA couldn't resist swapping in place of Bartz's Burst; I pulled for any Lightning-element SBs, I get Tifa Tech and not even the one that gives her an actual edge over Ursula and her Burst+LMR Combo...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So I was doing a dollar draw last night and was clearly not paying attention as I was pushing the usual buttons and found myself accidentally buying $30 of gems. I didn't see this until I'd just hit the 100 gem draw button since I did it from the banner menu. I immediately sent support an email about it because gently caress man I didn't want to be a whale. They got back to me finally tonight and basically said tough luck idiot you spent some of it we're not doing a drat thing.

I'll take this as a lesson and unlink my card from google play since honestly I've just been doing 100 gem pulls mindlessly despite not playing this game a massive amount anymore and it was really just wasting money.

Since DeNA told me to gently caress off and I had a stash of gems I was stuck with I said gently caress it and did a whale pull on Banner 5 to end the fest in a weird mix of apathy and irritating.

Naturally it's the money draws that produce results.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I've just unlocked magicites and honestly, what on earth do they want from me? Lightning's probably my strongest element so I went in the water one and got most of my team flattened by 8k damage spells before I could even get Godwall going. After plinking at it for 1000 damage a hit a few times everyone was dead. What is it demanding of me? I don't have 5x every element resist accessories for everyone, because I haven't been playing since the beginning of time itself.

I later tried the ice one after and got it to about 33% before wiping, mostly through Vincent's damage reflect.

Am I supposed to be running two healers, because that feels like the only feasible way to keep everyone standing. It takes 3x 30% Faith buffs to get Terra to do over 5k damage a hit. Godwall and 2 Medicas per turn might just keep everyone upright, assuming I can maintain them indefinitely. It'd be a million year battle without huge buffs though. The only other thing I can think of is dropping the Terra/Vivi damage dealer idea and grinding up Gilgamesh and Sabin or Locke to 99. Gilgamesh has his chain, and I have numerous things for the other two. Certainly a USB each at least.

I know this is one of the thing where getting a foot on the ladder is the hardest part, since you can leverage each magicite against the next, but god drat.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i've just started doing magicite recently as well and one thing i've noticed about it is that a few things make an enormous difference. i've always considered my water my best element but my water team of literally just edge and tidus did living flame in 26 seconds with zero magicites equipped, and then with the help of a magicite on sea lion and with three dps its a bit of a struggle to break 30 seconds.

i cant put a dent in golem and fenrir, and it took me something like 41 seconds to do bismarck and hydra. i knew my wind and earth were kind of shabby but i thought my lightning was Pretty Good. and in other content i think my various elements are relatively on par. you know what the difference is my two sub 30 clears and my 40+ or cant clear at all is? vivi can triple cast with his USB and legend dive. none of my lightning team has w-cast of any kind (technically vivi can do this as well but no en-element for lightning) none of my wind team has double cast other than vivi but i dont have the hones on tornado and meltdown to deal with his w-ability eating up charges. and the reason i absolutely crush living flame with just two dps when all the others require three? edge can en-water and double cast and has a chase. edge can add 17 hits to a chain and honestly i would say he probably did 80% of the damage even with tidus chain.

i know people have done 3* magicites without chains at all but from my personal experience doing them en-element and chain building vastly outweigh whatever else you can be doing. as for boosts it helps to not have a mixed damage team. i had one for hydra and i felt like i was barely plinking it. i should probably be able to sub 30 all of the magicites with what i have but that probably requires more dives. but yeah, chain+en-element and double cast absolutely whips the rear end of these things. edit: i had a chain for all of the magicite i've beaten so i want to emphasize that edge in particular is what helps me blast living flame so hard. i wonder if just slapping the earth ninja skills on him would help with my earth team and take away the mixed damage or if the lack of en-element will hurt it too much.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 4, 2018

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I've just unlocked magicites and honestly, what on earth do they want from me? Lightning's probably my strongest element so I went in the water one and got most of my team flattened by 8k damage spells before I could even get Godwall going. After plinking at it for 1000 damage a hit a few times everyone was dead. What is it demanding of me? I don't have 5x every element resist accessories for everyone, because I haven't been playing since the beginning of time itself.

I later tried the ice one after and got it to about 33% before wiping, mostly through Vincent's damage reflect.

Am I supposed to be running two healers, because that feels like the only feasible way to keep everyone standing. It takes 3x 30% Faith buffs to get Terra to do over 5k damage a hit. Godwall and 2 Medicas per turn might just keep everyone upright, assuming I can maintain them indefinitely. It'd be a million year battle without huge buffs though. The only other thing I can think of is dropping the Terra/Vivi damage dealer idea and grinding up Gilgamesh and Sabin or Locke to 99. Gilgamesh has his chain, and I have numerous things for the other two. Certainly a USB each at least.

I know this is one of the thing where getting a foot on the ladder is the hardest part, since you can leverage each magicite against the next, but god drat.

You 100% need wall, haste, and either a 50% atk boost or 2 30% mag boosts (depending on team makeup) minimum for every magicite, beyond that shell/protect are semi-optional depending on the fight - shell is the more commonly necessary one, personally I don't think I've brought protect to a single magicite yet (but I'm not done with 4*'s). The healing requirements are tough, I almost always have the healer start with a bar ready to medica away the opening aoe damage. Having someone with IC3 (starts with haste and 3 charges of instacast) from their legend dive is AMAZING for getting wall up in time, such as Shelke or Orlando or Ace or like a dozen other people. Shelke is a common choice for magicite since she is a high powered entrust bot with 0 relics, and entrusting strategies can help with the high healing requirements, letting you do big party heals more often.

Also, I know it's not what you want to hear, but having elemental resist accessories IS kinda required for everybody - some people with higher hp + defense stats might get by without, but they'll take significantly more damage and put more pressure on the healer. At the very least, you have the full set of major resist ones from the Nightmare dungeons, those should go on the lowest HP party member generally. Bismark, the water magicite is particularly nasty to start with because he has higher than average AOE damage and in multiple elements so it's impossible to gear to resist it all, he's definitely a shell mandatory one. Don't feel like you have to rush to beat them though, they're not going anywhere and the more events that pass mean the more accessories you'll collect, before long you'll have plenty for every element.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Decided to do a pull on banner 5 because I needed som earth tech, got 1/11 Tifa LMR (I have nothing else for Tifa). I feel like fest banners should give some kind of protection from 1/11 LMR considering it's a festival of (ostensibly) fun and happiness. I would say I can't complain because my Banner 1 pulls got me a complete Elarra but that took 8 loving pulls. GAMBLING!!!!!!!!!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You could post your Sealion team either here or discord, and we could probably provide more feedback. Still, couple of thoughts based on your post:

Getting hit for 8k before Godwall sounds like you are applying the wall too slow. Mitigation should definitely be going up as your very first action, and at game speed 1 that should be enough to only get hit by some weaker early attacks. You are using one of the free Soul Break record materias on Tyro, right?

Double healers is feasible especially early on to a new magicite, but by no means required. But since magicite has very high break resistance, you usually want to drop your support anyways, so that might be a good slot for a second healer, if you can also cover buffs. Something like DPS + DPS + DPS + Healer + Healer. Another option is to use someone with the support skills Wrath and Entrust to feed SB gauge to your healer. If you're already using Tyro for his godwall, he might be a good candidate for Entrusting.

Also, Magicite is the point where older BSB healers start showing their age, mostly due to slower cast times on the entry. What are your healer options, BSB or USB? Any healer dived yet?

As far as buffs go, you definitely want at least a +50% Atk for physical teams, or the double +30% for magical DPS. Also try to transition every DPS to using some kind of +Damage% record materia, instead of the ones that build SB gauge. Leave those for people who buff or heal. You can still run Lifesiphon, Wrath, etc to build SB bar faster. Stuff like +Element damage%, +Weapon damage%, +Magic%, etc is what you want for DPS. Good reference of the best ones can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/8p35sj/musthave_record_materia_june_2018_edition/

As far as DPS goes, I'm not sure what your Terra and Vivi are working with, but get that Gilgamesh going ASAP. Chains are incredibly good, even if you'd be using him in an otherwise magical team. But as far as physical teams go, Gilgamesh Chain, Sabin + Locke USB, Healer, and Tyro with Godwall should be crushing 3* magicite as long as your party is setup properly. But Vivi + Terra + Vincent also sounds like a fine team. What are you working with there, SB wise?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Also, Vivi with Trance will do PLENTY of damage even without the enelement.

I pulled twice on banner 5-
1/11, Maria BSB. I have her OSB and could use the magic Earth coverage, so that's a welcome BSB.
4/11, dupe Garnet BSB2, Ashe AOSB, Glint and LMR. I really wanted either of the USBs or the chain, but I can't really complain about an AOSB and so much lightning boost gear. 3/4 items in that draw boost lightning, and the last one has KO resist instead.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Indecisive posted:

You 100% need wall, haste, and either a 50% atk boost or 2 30% mag boosts (depending on team makeup) minimum for every magicite, beyond that shell/protect are semi-optional depending on the fight - shell is the more commonly necessary one, personally I don't think I've brought protect to a single magicite yet (but I'm not done with 4*'s). The healing requirements are tough, I almost always have the healer start with a bar ready to medica away the opening aoe damage. Having someone with IC3 (starts with haste and 3 charges of instacast) from their legend dive is AMAZING for getting wall up in time, such as Shelke or Orlando or Ace or like a dozen other people. Shelke is a common choice for magicite since she is a high powered entrust bot with 0 relics, and entrusting strategies can help with the high healing requirements, letting you do big party heals more often.

The only Shout-alikes I have are Ramza and Gilgamesh's chains. Ramza's levelled, Gilga isn't. For my magic team I was stacking Garnet's BSB2 buff and Vivi's BSB2 buff. I've got Godwall. Nobody has legend materia that isn't earned from gear.

Attestant posted:

Getting hit for 8k before Godwall sounds like you are applying the wall too slow. Mitigation should definitely be going up as your very first action, and at game speed 1 that should be enough to only get hit by some weaker early attacks. You are using one of the free Soul Break record materias on Tyro, right?

Yeah, still got blasted by Thundara or something before it could go off though. I've got Celes levelled, will Runic help with that?

Attestant posted:

Also, Magicite is the point where older BSB healers start showing their age, mostly due to slower cast times on the entry. What are your healer options, BSB or USB? Any healer dived yet?

Relm BSB/USB, Y'shtola BSB is about the long and short of it. Garnet's two BSBs have some minor healing commands, I suppose. And her BSB2's buff is what I use to stack with Vivi's BSB2 buff, as said above.

Attestant posted:

As far as buffs go, you definitely want at least a +50% Atk for physical teams, or the double +30% for magical DPS. Also try to transition every DPS to using some kind of +Damage% record materia, instead of the ones that build SB gauge. Leave those for people who buff or heal. You can still run Lifesiphon, Wrath, etc to build SB bar faster. Stuff like +Element damage%, +Weapon damage%, +Magic%, etc is what you want for DPS. Good reference of the best ones can be found here:

I've got Vivi's RM99 on him, and Tyro's RM99 on Terra.

Attestant posted:

As far as DPS goes, I'm not sure what your Terra and Vivi are working with, but get that Gilgamesh going ASAP. Chains are incredibly good, even if you'd be using him in an otherwise magical team. But as far as physical teams go, Gilgamesh Chain, Sabin + Locke USB, Healer, and Tyro with Godwall should be crushing 3* magicite as long as your party is setup properly. But Vivi + Terra + Vincent also sounds like a fine team. What are you working with there, SB wise?

Trouble is I only have the one Lodestone III left right now, which I should probably give to Gilgamesh I'm guessing. So I'm trying to get by with what I have. I dunno how often new ones are given out. I've not even been playing a month yet.

Vivi has both BSBs, Terra has SSB+USB+BSB2, Vincent just has his BSB.

I've tried again and gotten really close with Vivi/Terra/Garnet/Ysh/Tyro. Once everything gets going Terra's throwing out 8k damage a hit because she has all the +fire gear, plus she has her Fire doublecast LM. Vivi lags behind somewhat. Ysh heals while having the Battleforged RM, Tyro throws Entrusts at Terra. Garnet's mostly not doing anything meaningful besides reapplying her BSB2 buff, though I did give her the Regen bard song to slot in when she's not spamming her BSB2 command 1 for minor additional healing. I'm guessing the +MAG bard song fails to stack with everything else? I know Faith doesn't. She could have Ifrit but it's honestly unimpressive, and I haven't honed Valigarmanda at all yet.

Does the "Magic Bargain" effect from Terra and Vivi's BSB2 command 2s stack with everything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You'll have enough lodestones before long, almost each regular event comes with one.