Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Problem description: Around a week ago ACDSee started acting out all of the sudden. I have it as my default picture viewer but no longer runs when I try to open a picture. It just gets stuck as a background process but it never starts. The only way for it to run is to open the program either via the direct access at the desktop or through the program list at the start menu.

The Database option at the program is also broken with the option to rebuild thumbnails greyed out and the Maintenance one opening the pop-up window just to get stuck on screen and needing to force the program to close via the Task Manager. Furthermore, the Image database file (ImageDB.dtf.DFF) is nowhere to be seen at the direction indicated by the program itself.

Attempted fixes:

-Running the program in Compatibility mode
-Running it as Admnistrator
-Removing and reinstalling the program as Administrator. Oddly enough, after uninstalling the program and running Ccleaner to clean the registry, after reinstalling the program it will default to the last visited location; instead of the default location ACDSee opens after a clean install.

Recent changes: Only the default Windows Updates.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home Single Language Edition 64 bits

System specs:
Lenovo ideacentre AOI 520-22AST
AMD A6-9220 Radeon R4, 5 Compute Cores 2C+3G 2.50 GH
8.00 GB in RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Obvious answer is to stop using the ancient 3.1 version with Win10... Why not try upgrading to the 2018 edition (which I think is like v19.xx)? https://www.acdsee.com/en/index

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've tried more modern versions but I've found them to be bloated with features I won't use and the ones I do use, being somewhat contrived. I like 3.1 because it was fast, didn't eat many resources and makes browsing my pictures fast and easy.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I use the image viewer at http://www.faststone.org/ as a "close-ish" replacement for the old ACDSee. It's missing one or two UI features I'd prefer, but is good enough for me to put up with it and have a viewer that still receives updates.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gromit posted:

I use the image viewer at http://www.faststone.org/ as a "close-ish" replacement for the old ACDSee. It's missing one or two UI features I'd prefer, but is good enough for me to put up with it and have a viewer that still receives updates.

I'll give it a look. Thanks!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
You'll have to get into the options to tune it, but I got it close to what I like. Double-click an image in Explorer opens up the image in a window, and mouse wheel moves back and forth through all images in that same folder. Holding down the left button zooms 1:1.

What I miss from ACDSee is two things:
1. If you are quickly scrolling through massive images it would jump to the next one in mid-decode, rather than having to display the entire image before moving on, and
2. You could tell it to make the display window as big as possible if the image is bigger than your screen resolution, but as small as necessary if it is smaller. FastStone just has a fixed window size.
I might email them and ask for that to be added as a feature. It already has a bunch of window sizing options but none of them seem quite right.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gromit posted:

You'll have to get into the options to tune it, but I got it close to what I like. Double-click an image in Explorer opens up the image in a window, and mouse wheel moves back and forth through all images in that same folder. Holding down the left button zooms 1:1.

What I miss from ACDSee is two things:
1. If you are quickly scrolling through massive images it would jump to the next one in mid-decode, rather than having to display the entire image before moving on, and
2. You could tell it to make the display window as big as possible if the image is bigger than your screen resolution, but as small as necessary if it is smaller. FastStone just has a fixed window size.
I might email them and ask for that to be added as a feature. It already has a bunch of window sizing options but none of them seem quite right.

Well, you weren't kidding, is pretty much the same as the old ACDSee. However, it does suck there's no option to go back to the previous folder just with the keyboard (the "..." icon within the folders). If it weren't for that, it would be a perfect replacement.

I'll have to get used to it I guess.

Thanks for linking it to me!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm 100% unfamiliar with ACDSee, but if you're looking into image viewers, you might also want to consider IrfanView, which can do the window resizing thing you mentioned and is quite lightweight.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Geemer posted:

I'm 100% unfamiliar with ACDSee, but if you're looking into image viewers, you might also want to consider IrfanView, which can do the window resizing thing you mentioned and is quite lightweight.

I tried Irfan already and I couldn't get used to its features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Yeah, I tried a bunch and FastStone is the closest to the old ACDSee that I've ever found.
I've no idea if the writers welcome suggestions or not, so maybe email them about that keyboard control you're after?

• Locked thread