Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I forget who it was in this thread that said to read Marauders but I did and I am going to start listening to that person more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I forget who it was in this thread that said to read Marauders

The answer is everyone. Or at least it should have been.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
With Thunderbolts, his own series now and even the recent appearance in the new Iron First book, Taskmaster has become one of my favorite villains. I hope the eventually released Black Widow movie doesn't tarnish this image.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Another Black Cat issue, another triumph. Absolutely floored that part three of an event tie-in / series relaunch can do so much quality character work for Felicia, while still having a cool ending as a cherry on top.

That whole gallery sequence though, take a bow team.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dammit, I didn't realise Magnificent Ms. Marvel was ending.

Black Cat was great, naturally.

ASM was great, too. IMHO.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I forget who it was in this thread that said to read Marauders but I did and I am going to start listening to that person more

It's certainly either it or X-Force as my favourite part of the X-Men reboot. Although Hickman's version of Cyclops is possibly the most I've ever liked Scott. And the end of the first arc of Hellions is extremely messed up in that way where the outcome makes sense, but the reasoning just makes you feel like the council are a stack of dicks.

Is Maraurders also the first time they've been pretty much explicit that Kate's queer? #12 has that big splash panel of her making out with the tattoo artist girl in a way that read to me like Duggan put in his notes to Lolli "Make sure no-one can pretend this is just a 'gal pals' kiss". I'm actually kind of enjoying the Krakoa era being once again embracing the whole sexual freedom element that's crept into the X-Men over the decades. Magik also being basically openly pan, Jean and Logan loving in the hot-tub and Scott seemingly being cool with it, the occasional hint that Jean's also OK with Scott and Emma flirting if not outright indulging in BDSM stuff.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 24, 2021

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

ASM was great, too. IMHO.

Did something....ya know, actually happen?!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If anything ASM added even more plot threads that they never plan on tying up anytime soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheHan posted:

If anything ASM added even more plot threads that they never plan on tying up anytime soon.

Yeah but I think they're going towards one specific thing.

I think they're going to undo the spell.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rhyno posted:

That would be pretty great, but I can't help but feel like they're using the promise of totally undoing OMD this time to string along complete suckers like myself. Even by superhero comic standards ASM has felt wildly decompressed.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure they will effectively undo all the nonsensical magical shenanigans behind it, but realistically speaking...the marriage itself won't be coming back.

Which I'm honestly mostly fine with, at least by this point in time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

wielder posted:

I'm sure they will effectively undo all the nonsensical magical shenanigans behind it, but realistically speaking...the marriage itself won't be coming back.

Which I'm honestly mostly fine with, at least by this point in time.

Considering this issue literally had Peter monologuing about how he was stuck in an endless rut, specifically noting he had neither married nor had children, not to mention he's already got a ring...I think otherwise. Why get rid of the spell if you're just going to disregard the marriage as well? Given the success of RYV & ITSV literally having Peter B. Parker grappling with the possibility of fatherhood, I think there might even be a bouncing baby spiderling coming to the 616 later in this run as added anti-retcon insurance.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gaz-L posted:

Is Maraurders also the first time they've been pretty much explicit that Kate's queer?

Yes and it's about loving time/long overdue. See also: Mystique finally being able to refer to Destiny as her wife.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Marneus Calgar series is pretty good. It's mainly an introduction to the universe, but it sets the right tone. I was worried they might try to tone the sillyness down a bit, but when the Lord of Skulls appears there's an insert explaining that it's left arm is a cannon that shoots giant skulls that explode into a storm of shrapnel and the shrapnel is flaming regular-sized skulls.

I'm feeling good about the Marvel Warhammer universe. But I still hope they do some titles that aren't about Ultramarines soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

But I still hope they do some titles that aren't about Ultramarines soon.
:yeah:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
is anyone reading US Agent? What the gently caress is even going on in that book?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I saw a few issues of a Marvel comic magazine I had never heard of before; Savage Tales. Judging from the covers, it's about two insanely hot babes joyously murdering men. Is it as amazing as the covers make it look? Why does nobody talk about it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The first Savage Tales was a short lived book featuring mostly Conan stories but is notable for being where our beloved Giant Size Man-Thing first appeared.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-O posted:

The first Savage Tales was a short lived book featuring mostly Conan stories but is notable for being where our beloved Giant Size Man-Thing first appeared.

I like Conan, but if I bought that magazine based on that cover and all was inside was a Conan story, I'd be very unhappy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I like Conan, but if I bought that magazine based on that cover and all was inside was a Conan story, I'd be very unhappy.

that cover is from the second version of Savage Tales from the mid 80s

specifically Savage Tales #6

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alaois posted:

that cover is from the second version of Savage Tales from the mid 80s

specifically Savage Tales #6

Ok then, what's the deal with the second version of Strange Tales, the one with the awesome covers? Is it as amazing as it looks and why does no one talk about it?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well, it was a direct market comic in the mid 80s when the direct market hadn't really become The Primary Means of Comic Book Selling so I assume it didn't have a very wide readership!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Savage Tales (v2, the one that Gripweed posted the cover of) wasn't actually a direct market book, it was a black and white magazine, something Marvel tried in the 1970s to skirt the Comics Code Authority, but never really had much success other than Savage Sword of Conan, which was still running as a black and white magazine when they tried their hand at a new round of magazines in the mid-1980s.

The issue with Savage Tales v2 is that most of the covers were sort of cyberpunk dystopian women, but the interiors were definitely not. If you bought the issue with the cover shown above, you'd get

1) "The Regulator", a western story about cattle rustling
2) "Tank Town", a turn of the century boxing noir
3) "Spree Time", basically a funny animal retelling of In Cold Blood
4) "Criss Cross", I guess a vaguely future cyberpunk book with a biker in it, but not any insanely hot babes murdering men.
5) "Of War and Peace", a meditation on dying in the line of duty
6) "War Zone", a Vietnam ambush story

That's basically what every issue was, 90% straight war/western/detective stories that everyone involved fondly remembered from growing up reading comics. The popular 'Nam series spun out of Savage Tales v2 and eventually got its own magazine. But for whatever reason, the covers had nothing to do with the interior and the hot punk rock women were essentially a bait and switch.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you're much better at finding this kind of poo poo than I am, my searches turned up zero description of what was actually inside the book

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It was mostly a non-code anthology with a focus on military adventure stories. The Doug Murray/Michael Golden series The Nam was a loose spin-off (insofar as they started doing gritty Vietnam stories in Savage Tales and then did a whole series of gritty Vietnam stories) which as far as I know is the most notable thing about it.

That being said if you ever see issues in a quarter bin they're worth picking up. Herb Trimpe has a really striking looking serial, "The Sky Warriors," about a fighter ace guy.

As well as a number of Western stories by a young Chuck Dixon and the great John Severin:

Larry Hama edited all eight issues and he did an admirable job of maintaining a consistency of tone and a more or less readable level of quality, although some of the stuff in here is a lot better than others. For what it's worth the covers are not really representative of the insides-- they're all kind of post-apocalyptic ladies waging mayhem whereas the interior stories are in that vague spectrum from "manly men waging battle" to "war is hell," kind of the Ennis Sweetspot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That is the most disappointing thing I have ever heard.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I feel embarrassed that I basically posted the same information as E&C, just seven minutes later because I took too long.

But hey-- please enjoy the nice Herb Trimpe art and a really lovely John Severin page?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I actually thought that first one was a nick fury story at first glance

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
i remember Marvel publishing a number of black-and-white anthology comics circa 2009-10 as homage to the 70s B&W magazines

can't remember any of them, but they had some good writers here and there so there must've been some good material somewhere

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

FoneBone posted:

i remember Marvel publishing a number of black-and-white anthology comics circa 2009-10 as homage to the 70s B&W magazines

can't remember any of them, but they had some good writers here and there so there must've been some good material somewhere
Took me a minute to actually drag up any details about these until I remembered that Jonathan Hickman wrote a Shang-Chi story for one of them, but they were:

Rampaging Wolverine (an homage to the Rampaging Hulk magazine)
Savage Axe of Ares (Savage Sword of Conan)
Shang-Chi: Master of Kung-Fu (Deadly Hands of Kung Fu)
Indomitable Iron Man
Mystic Hands of Dr. Strange

I don't remember reading any of these besides the aforementioned Hickman Shang-Chi/Deadpool team up, but across the five one-shots you've also got a lot of people I like (Tomm Coker, Kieron Gillen, Frazier Irving, Peter Milligan, Frank Brunner, Mike Carey, Marcos Martin, etc) so it's probably worth revisiting. Marvel used to/still does put out so many weird one-shots that are like 80% dross that it's really easy to overlook the good ones; just in the past year alone there have been three really fun Fantastic four one shots (Grimm Noir by Gerry Duggan and Ron Garney, 4 Yancy Street by Dugan, Greg Smallwood/Mark Bagley/etc., and Road Trip by Christopher Cantwell and Filipe Andrade) that nearly make up for all of the Slottiness of the main book. Nearly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
honestly just give the FF to Duggan

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

you could give a lot of books to Duggan and it'll solve some problems

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

FoneBone posted:

There was also a one-shot revival of Bizarre Adventures (née Marvel Preview) a year and a half ago or so.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I actually want Zdarsky on it. I suppose you could split the difference and Chip could draw it?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Gripweed posted:

I saw a few issues of a Marvel comic magazine I had never heard of before; Savage Tales. Judging from the covers, it's about two insanely hot babes joyously murdering men. Is it as amazing as the covers make it look? Why does nobody talk about it?

This is obviously about questionable women with variably loose morals and their lust for blatantly murdering all authority.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I will never forgive Marvel Comics until they release an ongoing series that lives up to that cover.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

you could give a lot of books to Duggan and it'll solve some problems

I'm opposed to any move that would extend Duggan to a point where he can't write Cable.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Ms. Marvel's adventures continue in... Champions #5? What? I'm not reading Champions! Every time I give it a chance I end up hating it!
Man, I thought Ms. Marvel was cancel-proof, especially right now. What the hell.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't think it was cancelled, I think Ahmed left the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

I don't think it was cancelled, I think Ahmed left the book.

No, the last issue was the last issue as far as I know. Kamala just had her actress cast so I wouldn't be surprised if she has a new ongoing soon but right now there's nothing.