Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Never heard of the Simpsons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Rhyno posted:

Is that Northstar?

Apparently so. This could just be a stealth issue of X-Factor and nobody would notice. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's an elf now?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

He's an elf now?

He's an anime boy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

He's an elf now?

Don't make me remind you of that one awful John Byrne attempted retcon.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sad exclusion of breakout hit star creation "Snowflake" and uhhh idk the other one. Whatstheirname

Also like, Northstar's had elf ears longer than most of us have been alive, how are we just now noticing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Sad exclusion of breakout hit star creation "Snowflake" and uhhh idk the other one. Whatstheirname

Also like, Northstar's had elf ears longer than most of us have been alive, how are we just now noticing.

How dare you forget character find of the decade Safe Space.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it isnt exactly inexplicable that someone could get some pointy ears, living on an island where there are countless mutants with powers to modify bodies, and the option to request some mods every resurrection

let the man elf if he wants to elf, imo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The cover looks like dogshit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's especially telling that DC's Pride offering has a bunch of prominent film and TV characters on the cover, and Marvel has the chick from Power Pack (and I love Julie, I do, but c'mon)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

It's especially telling that DC's Pride offering has a bunch of prominent film and TV characters on the cover, and Marvel has the chick from Power Pack (and I love Julie, I do, but c'mon)
Batwoman, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and ??? So basically Batman characters are more prominent than most other characters from either company. I suppose Renee Montoya being on the cover as the Question also kind of counts, as she was in the old animated series, but has she been in any non-comics projects since she a) became the Question or b) came out?

It's a positive sign and I'm not casting aspersions on that cover/one-shot/DC in 2021, but it has one character whose book was derailed repeatedly, first due to unspecified concerns and later because they wouldn't let her get married.

The other two prominent characters on the cover were pretty much officially denied as a romantic couple up until about a year ago, up to and including editing out scenes of them kissing.

The press release from Marvel promises stories featuring Nico and Karolina from Runaways, Wiccan/Hulkling, and Iceman, who are all characters who seem part of Marvel's MCU plans and general marketing.

Both companies have made a lot of progress, both companies could stand to make a lot more, but this seems like a weird framing of the 'race' to say this is so telling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Edge & Christian posted:

Batwoman, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and ???

Dreamer from Supergirl.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Squizzle posted:

it isnt exactly inexplicable that someone could get some pointy ears, living on an island where there are countless mutants with powers to modify bodies, and the option to request some mods every resurrection

let the man elf if he wants to elf, imo

X-Force had this recently with Quiten going through a list of all the body mods he wants each time he's been resurrected. Stuff like, making him bald his face and sides of his head so he doesn't have to shave, etc.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Gaz-L posted:

Don't make me remind you of that one awful John Byrne attempted retcon.

that was Bill Mantlo. the rumor I've always heard was that he intended to write a story where Northstar had AIDS and it got shot down, so instead it turned out Northstar and Aurora's mom was an elf. Mantlo Alpha Flight is a super weird book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Batwoman, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and ??? So basically Batman characters are more prominent than most other characters from either company. I suppose Renee Montoya being on the cover as the Question also kind of counts, as she was in the old animated series, but has she been in any non-comics projects since she a) became the Question or b) came out?
She's been in multiple animated projects, the Gotham TV show, the Birds of Prey movie, and a bunch of video games since coming out (and I think many are since she became the Question), but has yet to appear as the Question as far as I can tell. She is explicitly or implicitly depicted as queer in several of those.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

She's been in multiple animated projects, the Gotham TV show, the Birds of Prey movie, and a bunch of video games since coming out (and I think many are since she became the Question), but has yet to appear as the Question as far as I can tell. She is explicitly or implicitly depicted as queer in several of those.

what video games has Renee Montoya been in other than as a background character in Batman: A Telltale Series and a minor NPC in DC Universe Online

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

what video games has Renee Montoya been in other than as a background character in Batman: A Telltale Series and a minor NPC in DC Universe Online

Lego DC and the upcoming Gotham Knights

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

It's a positive sign and I'm not casting aspersions on that cover/one-shot/DC in 2021, but it has one character whose book was derailed repeatedly, first due to unspecified concerns and later because they wouldn't let her get married.

The other two prominent characters on the cover were pretty much officially denied as a romantic couple up until about a year ago, up to and including editing out scenes of them kissing.

The press release from Marvel promises stories featuring Nico and Karolina from Runaways, Wiccan/Hulkling, and Iceman, who are all characters who seem part of Marvel's MCU plans and general marketing.

Both companies have made a lot of progress, both companies could stand to make a lot more, but this seems like a weird framing of the 'race' to say this is so telling.

These are all solid points, but I do think it's legitimately telling in how the two companies have decided to market themselves to the LGBTQ+ slice of the market. DC are displaying a bunch of characters that are prominent in their various non-comics ventures (ie your average person on the street would be able to go "Hey, I know Harley Quinn, and ooh, is that the Flash, they look different?"), Marvel are showing off a handful of D-listers. There's nothing stopping Marvel putting Hulking and Wiccan and Iceman and Kate Pryde and the Runaways on there, but they didn't ask the cover artist for that.

Also, as noted, Montoya was in the Birds of Prey movie and was queer in it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

These are all solid points, but I do think it's legitimately telling in how the two companies have decided to market themselves to the LGBTQ+ slice of the market. DC are displaying a bunch of characters that are prominent in their various non-comics ventures (ie your average person on the street would be able to go "Hey, I know Harley Quinn, and ooh, is that the Flash, they look different?"), Marvel are showing off a handful of D-listers. There's nothing stopping Marvel putting Hulking and Wiccan and Iceman and Kate Pryde and the Runaways on there, but they didn't ask the cover artist for that.

Also, as noted, Montoya was in the Birds of Prey movie and was queer in it.
I'm pretty out of the loop on some of the DC projects, I had no idea Dreamer was on Supergirl and I haven't seen Birds of Prey, so I wasn't aware Montoya was in it, I stand corrected on all of that. I don't know if the average person on the street would be more likely to purchase this comic on the street because of either character, or even that they'd immediately recognize Future State Flash as a Flash.

Northstar (a D-lister on some level, sure) is also a character who's existed for over forty years and got a lot of mainstream attention for being the 'first openly gay superhero*' when he came out in 1992, and got a good amount of mainstream media attention about a decade ago when he was "the first gay superior to get married**", and is actively appearing in a Marvel comic book right now, (X-Factor, alongside Daken) unlike (to my knowledge) anyone but the three Bat-Family characters on the DC cover.

I also don't want to immediately pass judgment on "they told the cover artist who they had to feature", it's entirely possible they did. If the implication is that they're trying to minimize/hide the fact that more prominent characters are LGBTQ, they probably wouldn't be including them in the interior of the book, or giving them separate "Pride Month" covers.

I honestly don't think it's a particularly great cover, but I also don't think it's revealing of any sort of hidden agenda.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
doing a pride cover without any trans characters lmao, reminds me of Comixology's book The Pride that sells itself on being a team of LGBTQ+ superheroes where the only character even T-adjacent is a cis drag queen

kinda telling the DC had to pull a character from their tv shows to get a trans character on theirs given they unceremoniously killed Coagula forever ago

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not like marvel is doing much better, angela is on the cover but sera got shunted off into never never land

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is Angela in any books nowadays?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is Angela in any books nowadays?

She was in War of the Realms I think, no idea if she's in anything currently being published. No Sera (who is trans, right?) in War of the Realms.

Are there any trans characters in the big two currently being published, aside from that one doctor in Immortal Hulk?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

not like marvel is doing much better, angela is on the cover but sera got shunted off into never never land

Have either of them been in a book since Asgardians of the Galaxy ended?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Does anyone know if Marvel has the movie rights to Angela? If Gaiman still owns that, or would get too big of a cut if they made an Angela movie that might be why she's permanently shunted into just cameos, though they were publishing like 3 books with Conan for awhile (maybe still are) and Disney definitely doesn't own the film rights to that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

Have either of them been in a book since Asgardians of the Galaxy ended?

angela was in strikeforce but i can't remember when that ended compared to asguardians

radlum
May 13, 2013
Strikeforce is after WotR and I think Asgardians ended with WotR.

I live that both Marvel and DC are gonna do Pride specials, but I hope this means more work for LGBT creators and also more prominent roles for LGBT characters (though DC has an easier job with Harley and Ivy since Harley is such a big character).

Who would be the most prominent trans comic book writer? I can only name Mags Visaggio and I think some (non bigoted) parts of Comics Twitter don't like her work.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I looked into this a bit out of curiosity. Apparently Vita Ayala has announced on twitter that some of the new young mutants in... New Mutants are trans or nonbinary. I guess all of these kids first showed up in her Prisoner X series with plans to expand on them in 616.

Monica Sellers here is nonbinary and has some kind of bladed arm weapon power.

This kid, Cam, is nonbinary as well, with powers I have not been able to discern. Looks kind of like just agility and leaping and stuff?

Jacob Williams is a trans man.

and finally Leonora Eng is a trans woman.

Vita Ayala is both nonbinary and imo a very talented writer so I'm hopeful for all four of these characters, even if they never really become breakout hits.

There are other trans Marvel characters but several of them are rooted in gross jokes or harmful stereotypes, such as the Ron Zimmerman-created Rothstein sisters or Ed Brubaker's somewhat misguided Hydra Queen. However that still leaves pretty cool and fun characters like Sera, Jessie Drake from a somewhat outdated but still fairly compelling Ann Nocenti story from 1994, Koi Boi, and Tong the adorable moloid.

As for DC G. Willow Wilson's delightful The Dreaming: Waking Hours has a trans woman as one of the protagonists, a former apprentice of John Constantine named Heather After. She rules.

I should also note Aerie from Tom Taylor's recently finished Suicide Squad was nonbinary and a very fun character, Porcelain from Gail Simone's most recent (I think?) Secret Six was genderfluid, and Demon Knights eventually did establish Ystin as genderqueer or nonbinary. Ragdoll, another Gail Simone signature character, is apparently also nonbinary? Trans characters are a little more scarce. There's Alysia Yeoh, a supporting character from Gail Simone's Batgirl, a character named Susan Su from Scott Lobdell's Red Hood who seems... like an iffy move on Lobdell's part... Pado, a young trans boy from Gail Simone's Plastic Man, apparently some kind of hovering on fire lady from a recent Azrael series I have never heard of until right now, and Victoria October, a character from James Tynion's Detective Comics who becomes a Batman ally in a pretty nice little arc.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

New Mutants is really good, didn't know about those kids, but it hasn't had a ton of space for it to come up organically so I understand why the writer hasn't made it explicit to people like me who haven't read Prisoner X.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah they really are throwing a humungous cast out there from the outset which just makes me kind of cross my fingers that the queer kids get some solid screentime. It's such a fun series so far though and it handles such a large cast well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

As for DC G. Willow Wilson's delightful The Dreaming: Waking Hours has a trans woman as one of the protagonists, a former apprentice of John Constantine named Heather After. She rules.

This I'm calling bullshit on, not that I think Constantine would object to having a trans apprentice, just that someone could be an apprentice of John Constantine for any length of time and still be breathing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That cover reminded me that Daken is bi and while I guess any representation is good representation it also reminded me of all the unfortunate implications of Daken's creepy pheromone power.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

That cover reminded me that Daken is bi and while I guess any representation is good representation it also reminded me of all the unfortunate implications of Daken's creepy pheromone power.

X Factor has done a lot to redeem him and make his pheromone powers less creepy, I'll see of I can find a good scan of the relevant pages.

Edit, here we go

from here
https://www.cbr.com/daken-pheromones-explained/

there's some other context in the article.

And I think it's a serious conscious choice regarding Daken to explain him better, since you still have Empath being a sociopath in Hellions at the same time

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 13, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

TwoPair posted:

You should check out Leah Williams' X-Factor, she has done a really stellar job of walking back and retooling what precisely his powers do that make them a lot less creepy and a lot more interesting.

Skwirl posted:

This I'm calling bullshit on, not that I think Constantine would object to having a trans apprentice, just that someone could be an apprentice of John Constantine for any length of time and still be breathing.

Well she's currently enmeshed in an escalating cascade of awful decisions so she's carrying on the Constantine mantle proudly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, kinda sucks that they introduce a trans character that's going to have to die in six months cause she's friends with Constantine.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

radlum posted:

Who would be the most prominent trans comic book writer? I can only name Mags Visaggio and I think some (non bigoted) parts of Comics Twitter don't like her work.

Sophie Campbell, probably. Her TMNT stuff has been really good.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Counting YA and kids comics maybe Dana SImpson or Lilah Sturges.

I can also think of the great Rachel Pollack who has not written comics in some time, or Maddie Blaustein who wrote a few things for Milestone in the 90s.

That's leaving out a host of webcomic people and indie creators like Annie Mok or Carta Monir.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 13, 2021

radlum
May 13, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sophie Campbell, probably. Her TMNT stuff has been really good.

I had no idea! And I've been enjoying her TMNT stuff

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radlum posted:

I had no idea! And I've been enjoying her TMNT stuff

Reread the scene when the new mutant calls her parents with the knowledge of her past, and it reads a lot more heartbreaking then it already was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

And I think it's a serious conscious choice regarding Daken to explain him better, since you still have Empath being a sociopath in Hellions at the same time

It reminds me of the character in Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad who could manipulate people into feeling the Six Deadly Sins. He wouldn't use lust because that was creepy.