Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

I was talking to he guy who does my tattoos a while ago and he said that even though he loves Jack Kirby, Jack Kirby is the only comic book artist people want to use as a reference for tattoos. He named a few other people he'd really like to do pieces based off of and both Romitas were on the list, which made a lot of sense to me and caused me to look at their art with a new appreciation. I've also been idly rereading Claremont's X-Men and that really shows off JRJR at a really interesting and impressive moment in his trajectory. I don't know-- I think he's really easy for an inker to mangle but I still think he's very impressive and singular.

I think Walt Simonson's work would make great tattoos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Black Cat #4 ruled. Great way to onboard new readers, and plenty there for those there from the start.
I always enjoy these recaps/discussions, incidentally: https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/03/31/queen-cat-comes-back-in-black-cat-4/

Silk #1 was a solid start. I enjoyed out of touch Jonah, whom everyone rolls their eyes at, but he still won't back down to external opposition/pressure when there's news to be published, of course. Cindy now being a bit more confident in herself was nicely judged too.

Return Of The Valkyries #4 was a great mix of heart, heroics and Norse stuff, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Mighty Valkyries series.

Beta Ray Bill #1: great fight with wonderful, dynamic art, but a bit predictable either side of that, story-wise. Glad that the new crested helmet is sticking around though, it's rad.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Bret Blevins would work as tattoos. Provided it wasn't just "sexy teenagers."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think if you are ok with the fiddly line work there are some great Quitely panels that would work. I only have one directly comics-related tattoo right now and it's a panel by Alex Degan, very bold simple linework and a lot of flat expanses of color so that made sense to me.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'd get a Sienkiewicz Warlock tattoo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

getting perez crowd scenes as full sleeves

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

Better yet, Perez rubble.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gonna get steve dillon face on my thumb

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Thank you for getting it correct and not making it plural.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Surprisingly I have no comic-related tattoos yet. I want to get a Thing face though

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Squizzle posted:

this would actually be the sickest sleeve imaginable

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Getting a Joe Mad tattoo and dying of blood loss.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Getting a Joe Mad tattoo and dying of blood loss.
For a true Joe Mad tattoo experience, the tattoo artist has to wander off halfway through to play Final Fantasy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Squizzle posted:

I’m gonna get the cover to JLA/Avengers #3 on my back.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
I want this one, right across the lumbar.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I won't lie, one of my favorite parts of my job is people showing me their bad comic tattoos. Sometimes it is gorgeous stuff, but boy oh boy are bad ones hilarious.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Larry Stroman faces at the ready to tattoo on my worst enemies

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
drat, so Odin's enchantment makes Bill a Ken doll? loving rough.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Vince MechMahon posted:

Every face he draws looks exactly the same, and they all look like someone who got hit in the face with a shovel so now their face is totally flat and smushed out.

I seriously thought I would learn to appreciate JRJR's drawings as I got older but if anything I get less and less impressed. I honestly never understood what people saw in him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You can say that JRJR's art isn't for you, or that he's gotten a little sloppy over the years, but his Spider-Man and Daredevil stuff is fantastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JRJR works for me on some stuff but not so much on others. For instance I love him Daredevil but I really don't like him on Spider-Man.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

You can say that JRJR's art isn't for you, or that he's gotten a little sloppy over the years, but his Spider-Man and Daredevil stuff is fantastic.

His run with JMS on Spider-Man is where I learned to hate him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Protagorean posted:

I thought it just made him an ugly horse faced motherfucker

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I think Sif was DTF someone without a nose, but draws the line at a horse face. Which is unusual for a Norse god, but still.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
just do it horse style Sif, you prude. you'd think she was one of those posh Asgardian ponies instead of good Vanir stock

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My personal theory about the new USAgent in the ongoing arc is that Priest was so irritated about Red Hulk's moustache disappearing when he transforms, he created a character who would grow a moustache when he powers up

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
lmao

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i really liked the artwork in beta ray bill

felt really bad for him the whole time though :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i never got the idea that bill resented his horse form before. sure, he had the option of reverting to his original form, but he almost never bothered.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Does Beta Ray Bill still possess the body of a random homeless Canadian man?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Does Beta Ray Bill still possess the body of a random homeless Canadian man?

Logan?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Protagorean posted:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i never got the idea that bill resented his horse form before. sure, he had the option of reverting to his original form, but he almost never bothered.

That wasn't from Odin, that was what his people did to him in order to make their protector, they transformed him into a more predatory, monster shape. Maybe they took away his horse junk too, idk

site posted:

i really liked the artwork in beta ray bill

felt really bad for him the whole time though :(

I'm fairly certain, without checking, that this was the artist who did Murder Falcon, which is the only comic about a heavy metal bird man that has ever made me cry.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really liked the lettering in Beta Ray Bill.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Soonmot posted:

I'm fairly certain, without checking, that this was the artist who did Murder Falcon, which is the only comic about a heavy metal bird man that has ever made me cry.

Yeah, it's Daniel Warren Johnson - he has a pretty distinct style and he's one of my faves in recent years. Check out Extremity too if you haven't yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yes, it is the artist who did Murder Falcon, which is the only comic about a heavy metal bird man that has ever made me cry.

Read Murder Falcon everyone. It's only like 5 or 6 issues.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Soonmot posted:

That wasn't from Odin, that was what his people did to him in order to make their protector, they transformed him into a more predatory, monster shape. Maybe they took away his horse junk too, idk

Isn’t he practically a cyborg too?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Isn’t he practically a cyborg too?

It's been a bit since I read Simonson's Thor, but I think so. I think Odin's enchantment was what allowed him to look like a normal member of his race.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Googling it yeah it looks like he's traditionally always had a horse-face but apparently a few recent writers have written it so the horse schnoz goes away when he powers down so I suppose that's what they're going with in this current series.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Soonmot posted:

It's been a bit since I read Simonson's Thor, but I think so. I think Odin's enchantment was what allowed him to look like a normal member of his race.

Odin lifted the enchantment off of Mjolnir and put it onto Stormbringer, yeah. Bill could look like a normal whatever he is and Stormbringer would turn into a cane. Horse face was a cyborg enhancement his people did to make him into a superhero in the first place, everything else was Odin being pretty chill for like forty pages in a row, or probably setting somebody else up to count as "Thor" when Ragnarok came around again, I can't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Odin is only nice to people to be lovely to Thor.