Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Open Marriage Night posted:

Venom isn’t over yet.

Don't you threaten me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Right there's one more issue but the book is ending.

It looks like they're not going to do a relaunch with Flash instead opting for another Carnage event with him as the protagonist

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think it's fair to say that that "Everyone is _____" is a trend, from the Death of Cap you had everyone trying to be Cap, everyone packing Asgardian weapons in Fear Itself, World War Hulks, Thor Corps, the way Aaron treats the Phoenix, and now King in Black being Planet of the Symbiotes II

Makes me wonder who's next. Maybe the plant aliens from Empyre make a comeback and the next event will be "We Are All Groot"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Probably not. Symbiotes as this galaxy spanning threat is stupid right from the start. You can’t make that cool when all anyone knows of symbiotes is Venom, Carnage, and.... also Venom but when Flash had it?

Do people/aliens/anyone else anywhere else show up with a symbiote in any other book? Like in Guardians or any of the space books?

There was an alien with a symbiote in Venom Spaceknight with Flash but apparently people didn't like that so I think they're in character limbo.

Anyway I don't think symbiotes being a big deal is intrinsically bad. It's making them a coordinated force led by a dark god that can kill celestials that's bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Silver Surfer had encountered symbiotes before in the 90s Spider-man comic that gave us "The Carnage Surfer", and there was a near-feral symbiote-clad alien as a minor character in the Guardians of the Galaxy ongoing as part of a space pirate crew. They're out there in the universe, although due to a combination of the fallout of Planet of the Symbiotes and Galactus annihilating their homeworld, they're few and far between.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think it's fair to say that that "Everyone is _____" is a trend, from the Death of Cap you had everyone trying to be Cap, everyone packing Asgardian weapons in Fear Itself, World War Hulks, Thor Corps, the way Aaron treats the Phoenix, and now King in Black being Planet of the Symbiotes II

Makes me wonder who's next. Maybe the plant aliens from Empyre make a comeback and the next event will be "We Are All Groot"

Don't forget Spider-island, where everyone was Spider-man.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
is it really a trend if it's been going on for like 15 years

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 13, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Nilbop posted:

I'm so beyond done with Donny Cates' pulling from other authors to show how much better his project is in incredibly hamfisted ways.

I'm going to listen to some Babblebrook Inn.

*hi five* Goodnight Moon has a new vid up in the series after like years.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ugh, another carnage event? dude needs to go away for a few years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

Space Black Panther had one

Space Killmonger, really. And now literally. (For those not reading Black Panther, TNC's answer to 'a bunch of the popular movie characters aren't anything like they are in the comics' was 'Wakandan astronauts went back in time in a wormhole and now there's a space empire and a bunch of the good guy rebel faction have the same names as existing characters as a tribute to their history, so now there's a cool honourable M'Baku like in the film'... The space Wakanadan emperor had a panther costume that turned out to be a symbiote, and also he's called N'Jadaka, Killmonger's Wakandan name. He then got killed... his mind lived on in the goo... and some other villains went to Earth, resurrected the original Killmonger and put the symbiote on him)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The next event should be that everyone gets the Mr. Hyde serum and becomes a big gross monster guy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

Space Killmonger, really. And now literally. (For those not reading Black Panther, TNC's answer to 'a bunch of the popular movie characters aren't anything like they are in the comics' was 'Wakandan astronauts went back in time in a wormhole and now there's a space empire and a bunch of the good guy rebel faction have the same names as existing characters as a tribute to their history, so now there's a cool honourable M'Baku like in the film'... The space Wakanadan emperor had a panther costume that turned out to be a symbiote, and also he's called N'Jadaka, Killmonger's Wakandan name. He then got killed... his mind lived on in the goo... and some other villains went to Earth, resurrected the original Killmonger and put the symbiote on him)

How has Coates space Black Panther, and his Captain America stuff been? His stuff, and Immortal Hulk, are on the top of my “Unlimited when I have time” list when I need a break from Claremont X-Men.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i've been enjoying his cap run the whole way through but once his black panther went into the space epic it got so tedious i ended up dropping it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ugh, another carnage event? dude needs to go away for a few years.

Bendis hated the character so much he had the Sentry tear him in half and chuck him in two directions.

It didn't last.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
E: I misread like an idiot

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

Bendis hated the character so much he had the Sentry tear him in half and chuck him in two directions.

It didn't last.

It lasted for about six years which might as well be fifty in comic book time

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Six years is just enough time to get nostalgic for the idea of Carnage and forget the reality of Carnage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He also had that stupid symbiote bomb arc in Mighty Avengers so he's a part of the problem.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Brubaker has just spent the last hour on the Kevin Smith podcast talking about how little he’s getting from Marvel for creating the Winter Soldier. They’re still live and he’s still going.

This is obviously a big thing for him. I’ve never seen Kevin not be able to get a word in for so long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw some reports of that last week. I hate Kevin Smith so I'll have to find a cliff notes of the interview.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Brubaker has just spent the last hour on the Kevin Smith podcast talking about how little he’s getting from Marvel for creating the Winter Soldier. They’re still live and he’s still going.

This is obviously a big thing for him. I’ve never seen Kevin not be able to get a word in for so long.

I'm surprised he's getting anything, would've figured Marvel/Disney would've been happy to point out that he didn't create Bucky and they only need to piss on Simon and Kirby's graves.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
He covers it. He goes out of his way to say that he’s been mostly paid in favours, like James Gunn inviting him to parties but notes that he’s not even on the overflow list for Winter Soldier’s premier.

He’s still going even now. It’s a tough, strange listen, and not just because it’s tragic. Ed rambles and repeats himself a lot and has probably spent half his time saying he’s not bitter when clearly it’s eating him up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Ed rambles and repeats himself a lot and has probably spent half his time saying he’s not bitter when clearly it’s eating him up.

He's not retired yet so I'd imagine he's just trying to avoid burning bridges.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC/CW had bent over backwards to avoid paying royalties to creators over characters appearing in TV shows, I guess Bru must not be getting a dime outside of reprint royalties.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rhyno posted:

DC/CW had bent over backwards to avoid paying royalties to creators over characters appearing in TV shows, I guess Bru must not be getting a dime outside of reprint royalties.

I remember Jim Starlin saying he got paid a ton more for KGBeast appearing (pretty much unnamed) in BvsS than he did for all his creations in Marvel movies combined.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
DC has been known to have better royalties than Marvel for a very long time. They used to brag that Kirby made way more off New Gods than he did off everything he created for Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I remember Jim Starlin saying he got paid a ton more for KGBeast appearing (pretty much unnamed) in BvsS than he did for all his creations in Marvel movies combined.

Yeah I remember that as well. But there's still the case where they tried to deny payment over Killer Frost to the writers that created each version.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

i've been enjoying his cap run the whole way through but once his black panther went into the space epic it got so tedious i ended up dropping it

This is a pretty good summation. His Cap run has been great. And his BP run was great before it went into space and then it just completely lost me. And I live for the Cosmic Marvel stuff. I think it's partly because it's boring as hell and partly because it replaced what was a great run that didn't feel finished.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The saving grace of Wakandans Iiiiiinnn Spaaaace is that Coates is clearly passionate about getting to write this massive space opera even if it's been kind of a slog to read. I'll be interested to see how it reads all at once, maybe it will hold up better as a complete piece. His Cap run has been excellent but man I wish they gave him better artists.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I caught up on the space stuff after the fact and can confirm it flows better that way. It was the same with the start of his run.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Len Wein said in one interview that he'd gotten paid more for co-creating Lucius Fox than for Wolverine

DC's (comparative) generosity re royalties probably stemmed more from rear end-covering (after Siegel and Shuster's economic straits circa Donner Superman gave them bad publicity) than anything else, though

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

FoneBone posted:

Len Wein said in one interview that he'd gotten paid more for co-creating Lucius Fox than for Wolverine

DC's (comparative) generosity re royalties probably stemmed more from rear end-covering (after Siegel and Shuster's economic straits circa Donner Superman gave them bad publicity) than anything else, though
Even starker than the contrast between Marvel and DC's generosity (which is significant) is the contrast between generosity between characters created at either prior to like 1978, when no one was even pretending to compensate the creators, and post-1978, where they at least pay lip service to it. Had Thanos or Wolverine been created in 1990 (like say, Deadpool) Wein/Starlin would be contractually obligated to get a bigger check from their respective movies.

This is not a defense of either/any company, and it's also obviously external to any lawsuit-generated crediting that has been retroactively given to the Siegel/Shuster/Kirby/et al. estates, not that they should have had to have sued for the credit/money.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

when DC was doing those black and white Showcase trades like fifteen years ago it felt like they'd go right up to the edge of where they'd have to cut like Tony DeZuniga an eight cent check for Jonah Hex so the last quarter of the book would be Outlaw reprints

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

I caught up on the space stuff after the fact and can confirm it flows better that way. It was the same with the start of his run.

Is it done? I did intend on giving it a second chance once i could read the whole thing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Is it done? I did intend on giving it a second chance once i could read the whole thing

I think the final issue is out tomorrow? Or maybe next week? This last chapter has felt a bit rushed, as if Coates was expecting a few more issues or is shorthanding through some stuff, and I'm ambivalent about the 'Wakanda calls for aid' elements, because I'm 100% not the target audience (read: am painfully white) so I can't tell you if it feels authentic and empowering or like the 'grrrrl power' shot in Endgame.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 13, 2021

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I mostly liked King in Black. 🤷‍♂️

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Man, GOTG is really fun this week. How the heck is Ewing writing (at least?) two monthly titles of this quality??

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Black Cat is still killing it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

nemesis_hub posted:

Man, GOTG is really fun this week. How the heck is Ewing writing (at least?) two monthly titles of this quality??

Did they start the new story arc yet? Been waiting to jump in on Guardians.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
The ending to the Thor arc that came out this week was rad. I'm always down to see Loki get to be Loki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
America's adoptive parents kinda suck. They seem to be nice people, but honestly who wants to read a super hero story where the family is just paralyzed with concern? Doig reckless acts of bravery is part of the deal, and holding that back feels weak. Of course there's also the racial (appearance) aspect of it, but still.
I'm liking that series so far. Nice bit of backstory for her. And the art is pretty.