Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I posted all of that already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think a lot of the most popular stuff in fanfiction, or at least in the past which is totally outdated and I'm loving old leave me alone, is stuff that's kind of built on being relationship misery wanking. Stuff like Whedon. Where the instant anyone is happy horrible things happen and nothing ever gets a loving chance to breathe and establish a baseline. I remember being incredibly frustrated by that watching stuff like Buffy. Not to the point I wrote fanfic but I get it.
It's interesting because from what I have gathered of the O.G. Kirk/Spock slash fiction, a lot of it was - leaving aside the explicit homosexuality - kind of the opposite of this. The fanfic was providing anguish, suffering, long term consequences, loss, etc. Stuff that the show tended to wrap up fairly neatly due to its episodic nature.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bendis had stark and gamora gently caress more people need to be loving these are super powered beings and gods. It’s like saying there’s no banging during the olympics. Completely unbelievable.

Bendis also made it a point to show that Superman fucks. Brian not at all concerned about horny jail.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, people lost their minds over Unthinkable when it came out. Some of them because they thought Doom wouldn't... murder... a person?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
More they thought he wouldn't murder one of the few people he deems worthy of his affection.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

More they thought he wouldn't murder one of the few people he deems worthy of his affection.

That was the entire point though. He had crossed a line. It's in the name of the arc even!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

a suit of woman-leather is a gross and dumb idea

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

That was the entire point though. He had crossed a line. It's in the name of the arc even!

Many were also the people who think that Doom cares about honor as opposed to the appearance of honor.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Squizzle posted:

a suit of woman-leather is a gross and dumb idea

In retrospect, I think it's mostly this. It's the sort of gross that you'd normally get out of '90s Avatar, not Mark Waid writing Doctor Doom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was dumb because doom decided to abandon all of his technology.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Huh. I thought I remembered it being a lot rougher looking, more Hills have Eyes. That just kinda seems like his regular armor, but beige and with stitching. Oh well, thanks for finding that for me!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah Mike Wieringo was a fantastic, fantastic artist but almost everything he drew had a very sleek, warm, fluid feel to it. He was probably not the best choice to convey a suit of human skin, although tbh I feel like the best choice about suits of human skin is just not conveying them at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Leinil Francis Yu could probably have drawn the hell out of a suit of armor made of human flesh.

Steve Dillion too, and keeping the normal Doom mask handily get's around his biggest weakness as an artist.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I feel like that was just Waid trying to keep up with the times. The Ultimates seemed like one of those things, like Liefeld art, that had a huge cultural impact on comics for a time.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Marriage Night posted:

I feel like that was just Waid trying to keep up with the times. The Ultimates seemed like one of those things, like Liefeld art, that had a huge cultural impact on comics for a time.
I'm not sure if that really lines up, either chronologically or thematically.

Waid wrote a whole *thing* in his series pitch/"manifesto" about how he's tired of everyone writing Doom as this noble soul when he's really a dirtbag who pretends to be noble:

quote:

The truism that Victor von Doom is, despite his villainy, a noble person is absolute crap. A man whose entire motivating force is jealousy is ridiculously petty, not grandly noble. Yes, Doom is regal and yes, whenever possible, Doom likes to act as though he possesses great moral character because to him that's what great men have... [but Doom] would tear the head off a newborn baby and eat it like an apple while his mother watched if it would somehow prove he was smarter than Reed.

Waid's first issue of FF came out the same month as the sixth issue of Ultimates (August 2002), and I always thought of it as a companion piece to Morrison's handling of Magneto -- the reveal of Magneto-is-Xorn didn't drop until a few months after Skin Armor Doom, but Waid and Morrison were friendly at the time, and Morrison's "Morrison Manifesto" which contains the Magneto pitch would have been circulating months before Waid wrote his own manifesto.

I guess on one level you can just look at "skin armor" and "Hulk trying to eat Freddie Prinze Jr. and rape Betty Banner" or whatever as part of an "edgy" zeitgeist or whatever, but any sort of Authority/Ultimates zeitgeist that existed seemed very much to be an attempt to make superheroes "serious" by making them feel more like 'the real world' (for some definitions of the real world) and Waid's whole arc of Doom using magic spells and skin armor and literally traveling to Hell and eventually the Fantastic Four going to Heaven to resurrect Ben Grimm with Jack Kirby's blessing feels like the opposite of "making things less comic booky".

If anything, Waid/Morrison's respective runs feel like a 9/11 slash build up to the Iraq Invasion reminder that some people are actually not good people and as dril would say years later, you do not have to "hand it" to Doctor Doom because he cried on 9/11, despite repeatedly (often successfully) attempting to use terrorism to destroy skyscrapers in Manhattan and other various crimes against humanity. Whether you are part of the Bush administration or had a Marvel Superhero Secret Wars action figure, crying at one funeral/tragedy or giving a high minded speech doesn't actually make up for your actions. Which doesn't seem like an "Ultimates" type of concept at all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That makes much more sense. Reminding everyone that Magneto and Doom are bastards did happen relatively close together.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah though neither of those stuck. People like Doom and Magneto too much and the attempts to make them utterly villainous always fall flat. Like people hated how Doom's last series ended. Now Ewing has him in Guardians where he's acting like a jerk, but not someone who killed an entire universe and will never do anything good again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Magneto is just flat out better as a hero. And as much as I like Doom's moments of flirting with reform he's absolutely better as a villain. Bastard Doom is the best Doom.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
You can have an ostensibly well-intentioned character who is prone to fits of hypocritical genocidal rage stemming from personal tragedy and a cynical outlook backed up by the entire real world history of humanity

and you can have a rat bastard villain who will often do the "right" thing because it is also the most self-aggrandizing thing, and a way to get one up over his nemesis

actually when i put it like that doom is basically lex luthor except with a deeper appreciation for theatrics and a less interesting target for his obsession

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Magneto is just flat out better as a hero. And as much as I like Doom's moments of flirting with reform he's absolutely better as a villain. Bastard Doom is the best Doom.

Post Secret Wars Doom will forever be my favorite version of the character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One fun Doom moment is in Infinity Gauntlet when everybody's disappearing and Doom says something like 'these are MY people disappearing and none should dare tamper with what belongs to Doctor Doom' so even his altruistic act is filtered through his utter selfishness and Doom also makes his own play for the Gauntlet because of course.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Post Secret Wars Doom will forever be my favorite version of the character.

Infamous Iron Man was really, really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Infamous Iron Man was really, really good.

It was and so was Iron Man. It was the best work Bendis did in ages.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Since this started because of Waid’s Doom. His appearance in Waid’s Daredevil was good. They even redo the classic body swap. A move I was happy to see pop up again in the latest issue of Guardians of the Galaxy to great effect.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, I loved his work on Doom and Riri was a great new character. I think that for all the flaws Bendis has as a writer, he writes young people better than a lot of people his age.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah, I loved his work on Doom and Riri was a great new character. I think that for all the flaws Bendis has as a writer, he writes young people better than a lot of people his age.

I think it's partly because his kids are clearly huge in his life and are pretty young

Bendis seems like a good guy

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rhyno posted:

Also some really cool David Marquez art. Really glad I read that before they had him do Civil War 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So yesterday they announced the new team taking over black panther after TNC but has there been any word on who is taking over Cap?

site fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

So yesterday they announced the new team taking over black panther after TNC but had there been any word on who is taking over Cap?

Have they announced that TNC is leaving Cap?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ahh, well, doing a quick search I just see news about the United States of Captain America mini where one of the other Captain Americas Steve meets is a member of the Kickapoo tribe, and having a first nations person don the stars and stripes seems really loving tone deaf to me.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/united-states-captain-america-character-reveal-joe-gomez

I could see someone like that being inspired by Steve Rogers' bravery, but not wearing the costume or using that particular name.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Credit where credit is due, this month's Ultraman featured a Gomora that escaped Ultramans attacks by burrowing underground, and a Jirass that is the artificial creation of a Dr. Nikaido. They are now demonstrating a baseline familiarity with Ultraman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel announced a new Darkhawk series and a new Defenders mini. Didn't know it was my birthday today. Hmm.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wow, I can't believe FB groups moved from memes about Darkhawk to memes about the Defenders!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

Marvel announced a new Darkhawk series and a new Defenders mini. Didn't know it was my birthday today. Hmm.

A new Darkhawk series about a new person in the Darkhawk armor. Which is an interesting choice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's a fine choice. There's multiple Raptors out there and having a new guy with the name lets people start from a fresh perspective because it's not like anyone but me and like five other people care about Darkhawk continuity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

howe_sam posted:

A new Darkhawk series about a new person in the Darkhawk armor. Which is an interesting choice.

didn't they just bring back darkhawk like 6mo ago. were the sales that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was a one issue anniversary special.