Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I’ll give anything Whitley does a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

at the time Marvel wanted to claim Peter was a virgin until he married Mary Jane

Wait, seriously? That’s ridiculous lol. Was this stated in the comics or is it behind the scenes stuff?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Speaking of Aaron, I am continuing to enjoy his Avengers run but McGuinness' art is the opposite of exciting for me.

Same here, I like it a lot from a writing standpoint, but the art has been so inconsistent and lackluster that it brings the run overall down a lot. McGuinness is fine at splash pages and the like, but there's something oddly cramped and awkward about his style.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I like some of Cates ' work (I even thought his brief GOTG run was quite fun) but I have to agree about Thor. The art is nice but the story and dialogue are tiresome. I hope this doesn't drag on too long.

Meanwhile, I'm reading through a lot of 2000's era Marvel I missed out on, and while the overall arc of Civil War/World War Hulk/Secret Invasion/Dark Reign/Siege seems cool in the abstract if you squint a bit, and there is no doubt some great stuff in there, the actual meat of it is pretty lackluster. I was shocked by how terrible Disassembled is, and the thread of sexism in it seems to surface in a lot of other moments for Bendis.

His Daredevil was really good, but I'm kinda baffled at how he became the main architect for Marvel of that period. A lot of his more conventional superhero comics are full of glib contempt for the genre, weird pacing, anti-climaxes, giving a feeling that he's bored. Honestly he seems best suited for crime stories and comedy. So the sort of "spine" or through-line of that era is cool in theory but really kind of weak when you look at it too closely.

I only got back into Marvel around the time of Hickman's lead up to Secret Wars and I like 2015-now Marvel overall a lot better than the 2000's.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Right, I completely agree that he writes a good Spidey (especially from the humour point of view as I was saying). The team being more street-level and having the most popular characters on it are all good ideas, I just feel like he could have done a lot more with them.

Now that I've finished that era, the Heroic Age stuff seems less tightly interconnected. What are the best titles from that period that I should be checking out? Roughly 2010-2015 does seem to be its own distinct chunk.

Oh, another thing I wanted to mention about my reading of 2000's Marvel is the way it reflects 9/11 and the War on Terror. At times I was pretty uncomfortable with it tbh. Siege is like a weird capper on the Bush 2 era, almost a retroactive condemnation of the Iraq War, which is weird because in much of that era many of the heroes seem to be active participants in the WoT. So it was all rah-rah let's fight terrorists, until it wasn't.

And then it ends with Obama taking office and everything is ok again! You can see this in Brubaker's Cap run (which to be clear I think is great so far), where a lot of is about corporations run amok, and then after Obama is elected, and after Steve is back, the bad guys are Tea Party types (being led by the insane 50's Cap) and now the bad guys are "anti-government".

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you haven't yet, check out Madrox(a six issue mini) and X-Factor(2005). It's street level Xmen dealing with fallout from Decimation.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of rec I was looking for as it wouldn’t even have occurred to me to look there. All the Decimation stuff seems like such a step backwards from Morrison. But I like me some Peter David so I’ll check it out.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I couldn’t care less about King in Black, but I just read the new Iron Man and it’s quite fun. I hope this is the start of a solid run after years of meandering for the character.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Has the Kyle Richmond Nighthawk ever said or done anything cool? He shows up near the end of Nicieza’s Thunderbolts that I’ve been rereading and he seems like a huge dork. He comes across like Batman without the badass or Iron Man without the charisma. And his costume is terrible, too.

nemesis_hub fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 8, 2020

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

My random guess is that Kindred is more of a concept personified than a pre-existing character. He’s the idea of family, or inheritance, legacy, love/connection, something like that, and he’ll manifest with different faces, making the guesses that he’s Harry, Gwen, baby May etc, all simultaneously correct.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Having just read the new Amazing Spidey, I can tell you that Kindred is Harry Osborn. I wonder if there will be any further twists though.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

gently caress I can't wait until Slott is off Fantastic Four. Anyone read the new Ironman now that he's off that?

I enjoyed the first issue of the new IM, soooo much better than Slott. It has a sort of retro feel to it but in a contemporary way, if that makes sense. Tony has the old mustache back, his suit is simpler, and he’s living in an apartment in NYC. Also the art is beautiful. And Hellcat is in it!

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Spencer’s ASM has been really good overall (a lot better than his Cap/Secret Empire stuff, yeesh), but I completely agree that these last few issues have been pretty boring. It’s odd that the centerpiece that the run has been building to is a big whiff so far, while I just want more Lizard as Peter’s prof, Boomerang, etc.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Nilbop posted:

I hate to deviate from my own tangent so quickly but I just got done with Hulk 40 and I was smiling like a dope the entire chapter long. Ewing's ability to jump between tones is unparalleled. And he gave me two of my favourite lines in a long, long time.

Three if you include the title drop. That wonderful title drop.

I was in a terrible mood and that issue perked me right up. we’ve gotta be building to something big with issue 50 right?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Wow, now that I’ve read the whole thing, I can confidently say: Last Remains was terrible! Absolutely nothing happened after all that build up. Might stop reading from here on tbh. I just want Spider-Man to be good again, for an extended period. More Zdarsky or Taylor, less Slott or Spencer.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Got it finally, yeah that was..a big rear end meh.

It’s too bad, I thought the run was going well before Spencer tried to do another Big Important Story. He should really stick to goofy hijinks, it’s much more his forte.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I must have missed something because I thought Norman was rendered un-evil by the Sin-Eater. Maybe that wore off when I wasn't paying attention.

I don’t know, I had the exact same reaction as you, so we both missed it. Just one of the many irritating things about this story.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Today’s Hellions continues to be great. Disturbing ending, in a good and interesting way.

X-Factor continues to feature interesting character interactions amidst kind of boring plots.

Eternals was good but I was so hype for it that I was a bit disappointed, probably inevitable after all this time. Ribic’s art looks... off somehow? Didn’t make as much of an impression as his Thor or Secret Wars stuff.

I dropped ASM and Thor, so if anyone wants to share what happens in them please do.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Lucca Blight posted:

Maybe I missed what the big deal was, but I think I'm done with ASM.

Wasn’t there a new issue this week? Did anything...ya know...actually happen yet?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

ASM was great, too. IMHO.

Did something....ya know, actually happen?!

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Man, GOTG is really fun this week. How the heck is Ewing writing (at least?) two monthly titles of this quality??

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Did they start the new story arc yet? Been waiting to jump in on Guardians.

Yep, this is the first issue of the new arc/new status quo. Seems like the perfect time to jump on.

And, fair point everyone about how being a prolific writer isn’t so rare.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Yeah I thought Spencer’s Spidey was really good (especially compared to his Cap, euygh) but then the Kindred stuff really feels like it derailed the aspects of it that I was enjoying. I don’t even get what Spencer is going for with all this. Last Remains wasn’t just bad, it was baffling, and got me to drop the title.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Black Cat continues to be wonderful.

Heroes Reborn is surprisingly fun with its goofy conceit that these are the comics of an alternate universe 1992.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

There absolutely should be characters defined by their identity. But if the writer isn't equipped to write a character defined by that identity, they shouldn't. They should instead find something that defines the character that they are equipped to write about.

I think your post said it very well. I’d love more middle eastern characters, but only if they’re written, you know...well. Speaking of which, what are the most prominent MENA characters in Marvel?

Monet is the first one that comes to mind. Then Sabra I guess. And then uh....Arabian Knight? Who is pretty much a blank state for me.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I know she's British by nationality, but does Faiza Hussain count?

Oh good one yes, I’d count her. And I forgot about Apocalypse and Shadow King, of course.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Count me in as someone who also likes Star. I like the juxtaposition of her colourful costume which looks heroic and her being a shithead as a person, but in a way that is oddly relatable at times.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Does Unlimited have the funky coloring?

Even weirder, it has both. It switches back and forth throughout the run.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

At the risk of sounding silly, Hickman and Ewing leaving Marvel at the same time Black Cat is canceled would kinda break my heart.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

site posted:

image is at least an actual comics publisher, as in, that is its specific purpose. substack is offering big deals to comics pros solely as a way to chase vc money and possibly movie deals, and they aren't in it for the craft or longevity

Exactly, even if you set aside my main concerns, ie, 1) I love the Marvel universe and I want these great writers to tell stories in it and 2) Substack hosts the blogs of some awful people, your point is important. This doesn’t feel like a well thought out effort to move digital comics forward, it feels like the kind of “disruption” that leaves a huge mess in its wake.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I’ve been a fan of Bennett’s work for a long time so this really stings. It’s naive of me but sometimes I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how people involved in fun, silly things like superhero comics can have such hateful views. I guess people can get “fascist supermen” out of it or the “fight injustice, embrace difference” aspect, which is what always appealed to me.

Any day now we’ll find out that the person who sang the Muppet Babies theme song is an anti-vaxx turbo-racist, or something.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I mean it’s even more baffling because Spencer’s run started out seeming like it was going to be exactly what we wanted, lots of fun stuff with him back in grad school with Lizard as his prof, Boomerang roommate hijinks, MJ back, etc. And then he for some reason felt compelled to tell his own 90s Clone Saga style convoluted “epic”, which sucks.

But the fact that he’s capable of telling better Spidey stories makes it even more galling.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Good lord, the ending to the “Kindred Saga” in ASM is a complete mess. Almost perversely pointless.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

So is Spider-man good now?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Avengers 1 is great! Classic but fresh feeling, just what I wanted.

I also enjoyed X-Men and FF this week. The Spider-Man stuff is just…baffling, but I’ll continue to simply read what seems cool and ignore what doesn’t.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Yeah, personally I think a lot of what Marvel is putting out right now is great. Thor, Hulk, X-Men, Avengers, She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Iron Man, all range from Good to Great. I’m probably forgetting other cool stuff too. New Captain America and Daredevil seem promising.

Spider-Man is the one sore spot for me but that’s been the case for a long time. Zdarsky and Taylor’s stuff was the only Spidey stuff I’ve liked in….over a decade now? Longer?

Aside from that, one complaint I have would be that I think Captain Marvel still lacks some really grand and defining storylines.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Agree that Ultimate Spidey was good.

I also really like McKay's Avengers so far. It feels rare these days to get what is essentially an entire issue fight scene that also contains characterization, intrigue, and legible action rather than a couple of impressionistic panels.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Captain Marvel is in a weird place as a character where she is really prominent in the comics and is part of the MCU but feels kind of boring and ill-defined. At the same time, I feel like they've emphasized her past air force background way more than they used to? Which I also feel happened to...Rhodey, who used to have all kinds of weird stuff going on with him and now seems just like...iron man's army friend. So in a weird way pairing them up fits as both characters have been "streamlined" in a way I don't find very compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This but for Roxxon's Thor.

Such a good and hilarious issue, love Al Ewing.