Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Anyone else still enjoying the Avengers? It's kind of a weird helter-skelter comic at the moment, but it's giving Robbie Reyes a ton to do and that's been really entertaining for me.

I'm finding that I'm not the biggest fan of Jason Aaron's approach to Loki, though. The issues are much more magnified in this book where he's just outright playing a speechifying villain role, but there's shades of this pretentious "lol you all suck and I'm the greatest even though I haven't really done anything all that cool or interesting" persona in Aaron's Thor book as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

e: OOPS WRONG THREAD

umm yay more Jessica Drew is good

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I see trans kids on tumblr making the two genders joke all the time. Not trying to excuse what Loeb said if it really is lovely, but have we actually determined why we think so? Like is there actually a clip people are watching of this, or even just a transcript of any kind, that we can use to determine the actual context and response here? 'Cuz to be honest I'm feeling kind of a stretch, here, from "There are only two genders: Cloak fans and Dagger fans" into "and also gender fluidity is nonsense! Binary biologies or bust! Have you checked out these TERF pamphlets I have, yet?"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Honest question: is that the comparison here? The two genders joke is comparable (or at least kind of similar) to saying the n-word in jest?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't mean to suggest that the two...things?...are comparably bad or that it would even matter if they are ('cuz playing oppression Olympics is obvs the most super funnest thing to do in the world ever). I'm gay and Asian and just for the record Loeb could get bent for all I care, but it genuinely just never occurred to me that the two genders joke is appropriating someone's issues because the communities I'm involved in just...kinda toss it out there all the time for memes and giggles, specifically in mockery of the gender binary, in response to the uptight exclusionists who keep maintaining that there are only two genders.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Avengers would just be a "Well, this is pretty neat I guess" comic for me if not for the limelight it's shining on Robbie Reyes. He's...a weeeee bit of a different character than how he used to be (he almost feels like Peter Parker, right now), but I like being able to follow his continuing adventures nonetheless.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The idea that a mental block from Teen Jean is going to persist through two whole resurrections for herself and, like, six brain rewrites for Warren strains belief, just a tad bit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Roth posted:

I don't because Cassandra is a better Batgirl.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

"There's literally nothing wrong with this, so let's mess it up for fun" is the modus operandi of many a comic book creator

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Captain Marvel did a really good job of pointing out why exactly it's been hard to connect with some of Carol's previous runs, but then it ends the issue by doing the exact same thing that it just lampshaded! Seriously, there's not much difference between "off in space doing space things" and "off in a parallel dimension doing parallel dimension things" in terms of things that make it hard to relate with Carol's life.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's...cute...but. Why Peter and Hulk? What possible relationship do they have with each other that would make this homage work?

At first I thought the strip was about Banner and Hulk. That at least would have some kind of...anything...behind the concept. But with this...it might as well be Wolverine or Ben Grimm in Pete's place and nothing would be different.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

A bear :allears:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I can only assume Asians and Asian-Americans feel about "Marvel's greatest Asian and Asian-American superheroes" the same way I feel whenever they trot out whatever forgotten baggage stereotype they last saddled Europe with the last time they wanted to go to Paris or Rome.
You would assume wrong. :shrug:

Like...I'm supposed to be offended about Shang Chi with nunchucks? Forreal?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Was Infinity Wars worth reading? Because no part of it looked interesting to me but I'm hearing stuff about universe-resets and all kinda whosits. I guess Gamora got a sword? Like what even happened?
Probably the only consequential thing that happened was...well, it doesn't really matter because most writers had already been ignoring it before this point, but there's the thing where Drax's soul got totally and completely separated from Arthur Douglas' soul so that there's is only Drax and only Arthur Douglas from now on and they're not the same person anymore. I mean, they're both currently still in the Soul Stone or whatever, but you know that at some point Drax will be back, and when he does come back he's pretty much just going to be his movie self from now on. Which...again, most writers had been writing him that way anyway, but now it's official :airquote:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

One of the best moments of any X-book that I've ever read, and I say this with full sincerity, is the shouting match/heart-to-heart between Juggernaut and Professor X near the beginning of Austen's run. Cain says that Xavier could've used his powers to stop their father from hitting them. Xavier says that Cain was outright strong enough to do the same. But at the time, both of them felt like they deserved it. The scene ends with them finally forgiving each other for making it seem like they had both been on their own. It was a genuinely nice, earned moment of catharsis from two characters that I never would've thought would earn that moment.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 24, 2019

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Quire isn’t even fit to polish Damian Wayne’s boots

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I just recently caught up with this series as well and yeah.

Yeah.

It's unfathomably great.

Also: :barf::frogsiren::byodame::psyboom::cthulhu:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm quite liking War of the Realms. It's working for me as this whole series of vignettes of heroes doing epic/hilarious poo poo. The only tie-ins that aren't really working for me are the ones taking this stuff too seriously.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The Finesse portrayal in Unstoppable Wasp, which was an otherwise drat near flawless series, always stood out to me. The idea of her becoming a villain, well, it's a bit disappointing, but ultimately not that weird and it's not like the Avengers Academy kids have had a great run of things or anything remotely like a support network lately.

But her being a cackling, condescending queen bee just reads like the sort of thing you'd write if you've never read the character in anything before, and that really doesn't seem like Whitley's style.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The art on Aero is just peak quality anime enough for it to be pretty fun to experience instead of being an awkward fit for Western comics. I think most of us still have some trauma from the Marvel Mangaverse, and this thankfully ain't it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

What else has Percy done that makes him bad for this? I only know him from GA and Teen Titans, and I know for a fact that no one can make Teen Titans good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Why do you all insist on reminding me of the worst parts of Civil War II, like I had completely forgotten that Ulysses existed much less what a ballpiss character he was and all the ways Bendis broke his own spine bending over backwards to fluff up his super precious OC Do Not Steal, and yet here y'all are. Just. Just mentioning it. Like no big deal.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Y'know, it's as if we've never met before or something 'cuz I feel like y'all are under the impression that I don't have a multi-paragraph essay specifically prepared to complain about something that annoys me in comics in utter intricate detail that I will cheerfully relay for everyone given even the most meager of rationales so yip yip fuckers here we go

Ulysses is Geldoff. He's Matthew Malloy. He's that one kid in that one Ultimate X-Men story that Bendis wrote who killed people in his town before Wolverine was forced to kill him. He is a literal running gag, Bendis' oldest, trickest, poniest pony that Bendis keeps on trying pull out like it's shiny and new and innovative except that it's old and irritating at this point and never even worked all that well in the first place. He's Bendis showing up at four different parties held at four different months and telling the hook hand killer urban legend at all of them to anyone within earshot, convinced that it's the coolest story that no one has ever heard before, while in fact everyone is just too polite to correct him.

Ulysses/Geldoff/Malloy/random boy is the guy who suddenly, out of the blue, manifests dangerous or outrageous powers that he can't control and then spends the entire rest. Of his panel time. Shouting things like "I didn't want this!" "Get away from me!" "I don't understand!" "You can't help me!" nonstop like we didn't hear him the first seven pages.

Ulysses is Bendis' personal "trolley problem" except that he doesn't actually have any satisfying solutions for the problem or anything particularly interesting to even depict about it, so the end result is usually that Bendis solves it by cheating. In Ulysses' case that means he literally ascends to another plane of being out of loving nowhere so that the heroes don't actually have to deal with him anymore now that the event has reached the amount of issues that it needs to reach. In Malloy's case Bendis utilizes time travel so that nothing ever actually happened in the first place. Again, don't have to think about actually dealing with any philosophical or ethical issues that you keep invoking if you just have the problem magically go away, right?

But we'll see this Ulysses character again, you can count on that. What, you really think Bendis is done with him? You think he's actually gone? Please, I can already envision the scene in DC Comics where Superman is just trying to help some guy whose dangerous powers are just kersploding everywhere -- he's got shaggy unkempt hair, a bit of stubble, he's dressed like a college student, his name is some boring guy name like "Richard" or "Shawn" -- and he just won't calm down because his powers are soooo overwhelming and you just don't understaaaaaand he just haaaaaas to freak out and put everyone in danger so Superman has to wrestle so haaaard with having to kill him or have him kill other people and in the end, I dunno, aliens from another Earth drop out of the sky and abduct Richard Shawn so the problem gets solved without the heroes actually doing anything at all. This takes six issues to happen.

After all, he's Bendis' precious OC Do Not Steal.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The whole point of the OC do not steal remark is that, in the original meme -- you know, an internet meme? like on the internet? -- someone ironically made the most generic, slapdash Sonic character and then slapped that warning label on him like anyone in their right minds would ever want to see the character again much less use it for themselves. All I meant is that there's a character the creator thinks is really cool but is actually poo poo instead. That's all. The goalposts didn't shift. Y'all just built like three new ones on the field and then started kicking balls into those instead.

Maybe Brubaker or other writers have their own variations on a theme that they keep revisiting. But...as far as I know, Brubaker didn't write The Winter Soldier storyline four different times though with some names and adjectives changed and call it a day. As far as I remember, he doesn't bring back to life the same mop-headed, stubbly white guy with the exact same personality and exact same dialogue and then have everyone react to him in the exact same helpless way they did when he wrote them doing so the first four times.

I mean hey I know that not everyone here thinks Bendis is one of the worst writers around like I do and that's fine, nobody's perfect, but going to bat for Ulysses this hard? Forreal? Do any of you actually like the character?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I even prefaced this by saying I'm not defending Ulysses or Civil War 2, I'm just saying calling a character made by a comic creator "an OC" is a worthless criticism, because it's a worthless criticism. It means nothing. You keep trying to make it mean things, but it's not working.
You keep trying to make it not mean something, but that's not working.

See? Words can word just because meanings can have. Dill with.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like this literally started as a whole page of people bitching about Civil War, but whoops I post one (1) meme reference and suddenly we white-knight Bendis into the loving grave.

Witness my complete bewilderment at the prospect of people having bad opinions here. Give me like four seconds to deal with this guys.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah good luck with that endeavor lol

Alaois posted:

the meme very specifically is about fan characters and unless something has changed i don't think anything Brian Michael Bendis has created in like 20 years has counted as a "fan character"

and even then, the meme would apply way more to characters like Miles Morales or Riri Williams than loving Ulysses.
Yes but...I'm not complaining about them so why would I roast them like that? :shrug:

Like if we're being so rear end-stretchingly-nitpicky that we're going to quibble over the technicalities of what "original character" is supposed to be mean then, no, Miles and Riri and Ulysses are all "original characters," but that's obviously not what I was talking about, and you all obviously knew that's not what I was talking about and in fact knew precisely why and how I used the term, but we have to have this extraordinarily fun derail because evidently we have to have a semantic deathmatch over the precise King James Canon Arbitration of "OC Do Not Steal" on this here dead. Gay. Forums.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yes! Literally That. Just without the irony.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Did you just compare me bitching about Bendis to...what, Pepe the Frog?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for the advice! I respectfully decline though, because bitching about things is fun, even though I forget this forum has this weird kneejerky tendency to get tilted about criticism against some of the select poor defenseless comic book writers around, despite the fact that y'all were literally doing the same thing before I came along last night :buddy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

you're right, it's all a big conspiracy against you, because of how absolutely everyone else in this forum just loves brian michael bendis. it's not because you're being a loving weird tool about this.
If you don't actually disagree with me. If you don't actually like this character or like the story that he appears in. Why the gently caress the dogpile then? Who the gently caress cares how hard I bash a writer or how many swear words I loving spout when loving doing so or how many dicks I talk about anyone suckin to make that point? Yes, of course I'm loving annoyed, because if the target of my rants isn't the problem? Then as far as I can tell the only reason people are offended at me is because I cited a meme incorrectly. Or...in a way they didn't like? Too smugly? Too assholishly? What's the takeaway, here?

This has become a lovely little pattern with the posters here. It's always the same people who get extra tilted when I unreservedly insult certain writers like Bendis or Tom King or James Robinson, and then slide back into passive aggressive behavior when I explain exactly why I have problems with them. It's always the same people who seem, for whatever reason that I don't understand, to take it very personally when I'm not sugary nice about the stories I hate, and are in fact very transparent about the fact that they take it personally, even though they think they're being quite shrewd about it, as if this were any of our first rodeos here. Yeah, I don't understand it for sure, all I see is the patterns. Maybe there is a certain way I post that sets people's nerves on edge 'cuz I'm not going to censor my thoughts about really loving lovely writers, but if that's the case then that's those peoples' problems and not mine, because I didn't insult anyone here. I didn't start any fights with anyone. If this isn't the place to be the ornery rear end in a top hat about comics that I am and to make the long bitchy posts about comics I hate that I want to make, then put that in the loving rules and I'll find somewhere else to do so.

Skwirl posted:

I seriously have no clue what the gently caress you are talking about at this point.
Do you seriously not? Here. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you honestly don't understand me right now, instead of that you're being purposely obtuse so as to not have to engage with what I'm saying, and I'll try to explain what I said there in that post in a more upfront way:

There's a lot of ways to interpret the term "original character," or even "fan character" as Alaois puts it, and if we're taking it completely at face value then that means Miles and Riri and Ulysses are in fact all original/fan characters, yes. But that's obviously not what I was originally saying. Obviously I wasn't hammering Bendis for the sole fact hat he, a fan, created a character that was original. That is a straw man built over my original point...and you all knew that. Even if I hadn't literally explained what I meant in a subsequent post, it was understandable from context that I was actually hammering Bendis for creating a character that he thinks is so great -- because he continues to create this same character archetype over and over and over again -- when in fact the character just sucks. You all understood this...again, if not at first, then you had to have known when I outright told you what I meant.

But instead of engaging with what I plainly meant -- or even just ignoring it if you don't like it and have nothing to say about it -- we apparently instead have to bicker back and forth about whether I referenced the precise right meme to illustrate my criticism, right down to literally waffling over the exact technical definitions of words like "original" or "fan." Which is ridiculous on top of patronizing; we've already established what I meant, I'm sorry the online slang I chose didn't communicate my point to you the exact way you wanted it to but I couldn't actually care less about belaboring that point. Blockhouse goes as far as to claim that by referencing that term I was making a "worthless criticism" that doesn't mean anything, right after I explained what I meant when I said it. Of course I have no response to that but bitchy ones, which are the only ones it deserves.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So first off I am gay so go ahead and jot that down.

site posted:

Brian's the person who wrote so many angry paragraphs in defense of zack snyder and mos he literally got both topics banned from the movie thread right
This...:saddowns: is literally the most hurtful someone has said to date. To accuse someone of defending Zack Snyder...I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies...just wOw

Archyduchess posted:

Me because slamming somebody by talking about how many dicks they suck is homophobic dogshit?

Anyway, the more I've grown and the more I've spoken to younger people involved in whatever branch of nerd culture, and have gotten to know people my age who were just involved in different corners of it, the more I respect fan-fiction and the people who make it, and wish I hadn't jumped so eagerly on the easy "lmao fan-fiction sucks" train back when that seemed like the only train in town.

It seems like a really crucial outlet for fans who wanted and continue to want representation that isn't there in the media they consume-- more and better female characters, queer characters, PoC, etc..-- and decide to patch together these ad hoc communities to make that representation happen. It seems like a really cool thing to do, a lot cooler than the way I engaged with comics as a teen, which was mostly just getting into shouting matches on the CBR forums, and I meet a lot of people for whom it was a really meaningful stage in their development as writers.

Also as I got more into zine-making and micropresses in college and grad school I realized how flimsy the distinction between "fan" and "not fan" felt-- especially in superhero comics where presumably most writers are fans to some degree-- and that I really much more admire people who want to make something so they just go ahead and make it.

I always have one or two students who say at the beginning of the semester that they don't have any writing experience, but turn in exquisitely written and way sophisticated first pieces. It turns out that in many cases these students cut their teeth on fan-fiction, but are so conditioned into thinking that that isn't "real writing" that they don't even count it.

So that's why I'm being a little pedantic about your argument using fan-fiction terms in a nonsense way. It's not an argument, it's just saying "<x> is like <y> because they both suck."
I'm sorry that I want to address this a little, because I don't want to leave a lovely impression with one of the people on here that I actually do respect.

When I referenced the term "OC do not steal," my intention was to indicate a very specific meme that invoked a very specific criticism I wanted to invoke, which is that someone created a character they believe is cool but is actually the opposite. Can we, at the least, come to an accord that this was what I intended, and if that intent couldn't be inferred from the original context of the post or a google search of the term, then that by now I have hopefully explained what the expression is to an understandable degree? It is not "<x> is like <y> because they both suck." It wasn't intended as an indictment of general fan works, or fan creators, or original characters on any broader scale than the one single character it was directed towards. It's a little bewildering to me that so many people here have projected my criticism onto those things, but I guess at the end of the day I just misread the audience. Y'all don't like memes. Y'all don't like being told what they mean. 'Kay. Message received. That's on me.

But -- and I am sorry if this comes across combative, but it is what it is -- I continue to take umbrage at the idea that I used the term in a "nonsense way" or that I made a "worthless criticism" that doesn't mean anything. The term means something, in fact it means exactly what I said and is used exactly how I used it to illustrate my criticism, and that is not subjective, that is not actually debatable, the fact that people here -- who claim to be above using online parlance in the first place -- aren't familiar with the way I used it doesn't mean that I don't know how to use it. Y'all are going to get turnt if I tell you to literally look up what OC Do Not Steal means in internet slang, but if we're going to talk about fan works and fan communities and fan identities and if, for instance, what I said may be derogatory towards them? Then we actually put in the bit of work that requires, maybe peruse a few wikis, get acquainted with the vernacular that they -- that we -- in fact use. No professor, I didn't get that answer on the test wrong, not even if everyone else answered differently. No, I will not accept the lowered grade, not for something I know more about than anyone else here does.

'Cuz those kids you talk about who participated in fan culture, who created fan works as an outlet, who are invested in fanon? Yeah so that's me. That was me years ago and it's me now, albeit less consistently. I've actually shared my works here before and been mocked for it by some of the same posters who are so quick now to defend the invisible honor of hypothetical content creators from...their own idioms.

And here's the thing about fan cultures: we're completely aware of how silly our poo poo can be. We're entirely aware of our own quirks and foibles. It is an utter culture of self-deprecation from multiple generations of kids desperate for validation instead. Self-awareness spawns self-acceptance and self-acceptance spawns in-jokes. Yes, there's a healthy amount of pride and reclamation as well, particularly in the progressive feminist circles, particularly around the idea that young girls should be able to write or indulge in any shmaltzy embarrassing thing they want to without being judged for it so, yes, some terms like "Mary Sue" are no longer used as critique by anyone who's not angrily shouting about Rey ruining Star Wars.

At the same time though?...we're not afraid to laugh at ourselves and at each other. Ask your students sometime if they ever did coffee shop AU, or what they think of the roommates trope (oh god they were roomates!), or if they're old enough to have been around for Superwholock. Wincing at your own indulgent teenage selves is part of the fun of being in fandom. People here do it too! It's not all that different from cringing at the comics you consumed in the 90s, or the fact that literally everyone here enjoyed Dan Slott once upon a time.

My longwinded point being that, as much as I understand and agree with the urge to be protective of fanwork culture, there's, uh...how can I put this? Even if I were intentionally denigrating the very concept of every single OC every written into every fic in order to drive home a point, it's...just not that big a deal? Like I feel like this is an instance of me making some inside joke about a social group that I'm literally a part of in the way that I would if I were amongst that very group, and then a bunch of people who aren't really part of the same social demographic going "Oh my god you can't say that! That's so rude!" as if that's not...literally the way we, that very group, talk to each other all the time.

And again, it's the same thing here! There's things that people say here to each other -- offhand command, snide in-jokes -- that would get you side-eyed the gently caress out of in any other context. "Dead Gay Forums" being one. The thing about SA though is that there's such a degree of unearned elitism here, so I do see why you'd think that I'm just some goon making fun of teen girls like a thousand others have done before. It's one of my biggest peeves about this place, and every community does have its own peeves; just like Tumblr takes discourse far too far, and Reddit takes it far too far in the other direction, SA has this weird high-fallutin' air like it's somehow better than the rest of the internet. But we're not, dudes. It's okay to let the dank impurity of referencing memes pervade our sacred space. Live a little, really.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 18, 2019

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Immortal Hulk was definitely interesting. I feel like the Amadeus of a few years ago might've been right by Banner's side in all this, but it certainly makes sense that the Amadeus who's been hanging out with the Champions and the Agents of Atlas these past couple years might not be extraordinarily gung ho about Woke Hulk's fun new radicalism.

Namor, though. :allears:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This...sounds...actually kinda good, I say very warily.

There has been a greater number of younger heroes at Marvel than ever before, they're basically an entire separate community all on their own, and it's completely fair to really delve into that and the topical stuff that arises from it.

The only worry I have for it is how they're gonna keep this from being as profoundly one-sided as the story appears to be. "Should young people be heroes?" Well. Yeah. Pretty much just yeah.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's not really clear, from what i recall. We know the SHRA was repealed but presumably there's still something in place. I think for the most part writers just operate from a "costumed vigilantism is okay so long as you don't mess with actual law enforcement" sort of place for their stories.

Unless you're a mutant. Mutants can do whatever they want now! :buddy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Eh I'm down for an epic event centered around an A+ quality gay character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Meh. Nothing beats the motor-jacket look.

I didn't know she was getting a new ongoing, though. Who's the writer?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 17, 2019

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

As epic and evocative as that is, I could do another forever without the whole Drunken Abusive Odin concept that Aaron keeps on trying to force into these books.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It’s definitely a weird cover; as was mentioned, we saw in the preview that Cap is firmly on the side of the youngins. And if it’s meant to mirror the Kamala/Miles/Sam variant cover, then Iron Man or Black Panther would probably be a better stand-in than Cap. But at the end of the day it’s difficult to imagine anyone at all in favor of locking down the teen heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, I should clarify: it’s difficult to imagine anyone giving enough of a crap about teen heroes to be out actively arresting them.

Also holy gently caress Mr. Horse is the best character of the decade :allears: