Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gripweed posted:

I'm not sure about a bitter Ultraman who doesn't believe humanity can improve. That's kinda the opposite of Ultraman

It basically sets up a pretty bog-standard character arc, though

Which is really my problems with Marvel Ultraman in a nutshell. They shoulda got a real freaky scifi guy to write it. I bet Grant Morrison could right the living daylights out of Ultraman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the big difference between the Joker Who Wears Black and Knull is that the former is, in the context of the actual story, not particularly terrible; he's treated in a very self-aware fashion (in the core books at least) and even beyond that, one of the meta points of Metal and Death Metal is "Enough with the freaking Batmen who always win already". The problem is, people are so frustrated with the aspects of Joker and Batman that Judge Batdeath embodies, it's hard for certain people to see through that pre-existing irritation to appreciate the comic going "Look, we get it; this is pretty stupid conceptually, HOWEVER..."

Meanwhile Knull is just not very good.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gaz-L posted:

I know Psylocke put them in an impossible position, and the compromise they hit on was probably the closest you could manage without the luxury of, say, being a movie that can just cast a British-Asian actor as her, but have they managed to make anyone give a poo poo about Revanche?

She's pretty good in Hellions, but she's basically just a slightly more ornery classic Psylocke in terms of disposition. If the fact that she was back in her own body wasn't a pre-established plot point, I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference.

I do like her more than Betsy, but that's mostly just because Captain Britain and Otherworld stuff makes me roll my eyes, even if the actual Excalibur book has been pretty good.

Also just in general I really like Hellions as a comic. It feels more X-Force-y than X-Force.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BrianWilly posted:

Read the Power Rangers comics instead, honestly. v:v:v

The Power Rangers comic is just as egregiously American Superhero Comics (TM) as what Rise does with Ultraman

I mean, on some level that's just the exact nature of what's being done but at the same time I can't help but feel there should be a way to do these properties as comics without having them lose so much of their distinctive identity as a result. This isn't just limited to these books, though, as that "Ultraman except now he's Iron Man mixed with Kamen Rider" manga has the same problem.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Non-Stop Spider-Man is finally out and while it's a little light, I'm just enjoying it for being a Spidey book that's not connected to fall this OMD BND D&D BDSM stuff that the mainline title is about nowadays

Quippy Zemo is new though, right? That said, I don't entirely dislike the notion, the idea of someone who is completely self-possessed with the idea of his own superiority talking down at other people mockingly feels like a good match

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
what does "of the railways" mean

The text makes him sound like he protects displaced and otherwise homeless people, but "of the railways" makes him sound he carries his shield in a bindle on a stick while freighthopping during the great depression

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lurdiak posted:

"What if Superman: Grounded, but good"

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions there, Walker is with them. I have to imagine it's a scenario where Steve invited him along to be nice and now Sam and Buck are going to be resenting it for the entire trip.

actually what am i talking about that does sound good

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kinda didn't have hopes for the Ultra Comics (Marvel) when I heard who was gonna be writing it. I don't know if writing comics almost exclusively about MMPR was dude's perogative or if it was a publishing side thing, but the result was extremely tepid either way, and that bodes poorly for another comic based on another tokusatsu franchise

but I doubt they were gonna get like, Grant Morrison to write it, so...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gripweed posted:

I know Marvel has a bunch of heroes that get big. Giant-Man, Goliath, Stature. But they seem like they're always on teams. Have any of them every gotten their own series about getting big to stop crime?

BIG in comics is something that seems to have trouble working, probably just due to the deadlines involved. Scale requires lots of detail, and even talented artists have trouble with it. There's a reason that there isn't a ton of beloved giant robot manga in Japan despite... giant robots, manga, and Japan being what they are to each other.

Meanwhile, big works pretty well on weekly kids TV because it's fun to see guys dressed in weird outfits stomp around miniature sets, especially when it's shot with a bit of expertise. I'm sure there are artists out there who could crack the formula on how to do consistent striking action that plays with scale, but there's not exactly a ton of incentive for them to, is there?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My personal theory about the new USAgent in the ongoing arc is that Priest was so irritated about Red Hulk's moustache disappearing when he transforms, he created a character who would grow a moustache when he powers up

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
since it was on sale because of Falcon & Winter Soldier I just finished reading the Cap VS Cap paperback that covered John Walker's stint in the red white and blue and am shocked by how much it reminded me of Knight's Quest

I know that superhero stories tend to "echo" each other a lot, sometimes at the exact same time (Winter Soldier/Red Hood) and sometimes separated by distance of time

and it probably wasn't the first instance of a character having their identity usurped by an edgier guy

but

i still feel like maybe chuck dixon and the gang owed mark gruenwald a steak dinner

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 5, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
my favorite part of last hunt is that like 30 years later grim hunt came out and i remember that being kind of fun, especially the part where the extended spider family beat up a bunch of aristocrats

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
so's Independence Day, but that doesn't keep it from being entertaining

Conversely I never really got the appeal of Last Hunt other than nice art and being really really moody.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think it's fair to say that that "Everyone is _____" is a trend, from the Death of Cap you had everyone trying to be Cap, everyone packing Asgardian weapons in Fear Itself, World War Hulks, Thor Corps, the way Aaron treats the Phoenix, and now King in Black being Planet of the Symbiotes II

Makes me wonder who's next. Maybe the plant aliens from Empyre make a comeback and the next event will be "We Are All Groot"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
You can have an ostensibly well-intentioned character who is prone to fits of hypocritical genocidal rage stemming from personal tragedy and a cynical outlook backed up by the entire real world history of humanity

and you can have a rat bastard villain who will often do the "right" thing because it is also the most self-aggrandizing thing, and a way to get one up over his nemesis

actually when i put it like that doom is basically lex luthor except with a deeper appreciation for theatrics and a less interesting target for his obsession

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I am in way too deep on Power Rangers/Super Sentai to have anything resembling an objective point to make about Higgins books, so I'll just point out he was able to make me sick of the Green Ranger which is something Marvel has not managed to do with Wolverine or Venom or Deadpool despite those characters having been around for anywhere between 10-30 years longer. He did what Donny Cates and Daniel Way failed to do.

The first issue of Mark Russell's F4 Life Story is out this week and while I thought it was generally good, I can't help but feel it could've done with a lot less JFK and a lot more Galactus. But that's probably me expecting it to follow the "HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS DECADE" format of Zdarsky's Spidey book too closely.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Blockhouse posted:

on the flip side pumped for Ram V/Al Ewing Venom but uh Bryan Hitch would not really be my first choice for art on a Venom book

I kind of hope Hitch brings a back a little more "Spider-Man, but also a xenomorph and a gorilla" to Venom's look. All tentacles all the time works in the 2D Capcom games, but in comics it turns him into Diet Carnage

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Barry Convex posted:

siiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhh maybe this is an out-of-continuity The End-type thing?

https://twitter.com/DrStrange/status/1400905968544890882

Is there any reason Dr. Strange can't come back as a ghost

I mean it's comics, they can all come back as a ghost if the writer wants it, but Strange seems like he could literally arrange so that if he dies, he can come back as a ghost and keep doing most of the poo poo he was already doing

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I enjoy the "Logan as the dirtbag protective older brother/Peter as the dweeby younger brother" relationship, and adding Steve to the formula as the successful straight laced older brother that the two younger fuckups both love and hate would work great

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ben last showed up doing all that screwy Nu-Jackal poo poo in Slott's run, right?

I've got some tertiary fondness for the character's oldschool version, but I'm curious how they intend to square that with... the other thing. Then again if he's going to be with the Beyond Corporation, there's a good chance he's still gonna be compromised and then it's up to the SUPERIOR SPIDER-CLONE, KAINE, TO SAVE THE DAY!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Did anyone read "Captain America(s): Grounded featuring the League of Mini Caps" today? I thought it sounded kinda interesting at first (mostly because the idea of Walker traveling with Steve, Bucky, and Sam seems like a recipe for fireworks) but the kerfuffle about whether or not the Filipino Cap's name was the Tagalog equivalent of Seymour Butts made me a bit more skeptical

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm really curious about how this works on a pure nuts and bolts level, because given the shape of the comic book industry, the idea of throwing out a bunch of money to wrangle exclusive contracts with even the biggest names seems...not like a move that would be a great idea?

Is there a lot of overhead involved with the traditional retail model that makes comics-via-newsletter a less hazardous financially?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
zombo is good though

It's probably obvious, but the inherent advantage of licensed comics (and that's what big two books really are, it's just that the company making the comics are also the license holders) is familiarity with the pieces involved. So people who enjoy Spider-Man are inclined to check out the new Spider-Man book just based on the fact that Spider-Man's in it, whereas when you're launching your own book you need to either have a homerun of a concept or a diehard reader base to get your stuff checked out.

The most recent creator owned thing I got into was Once and Future and it took me like three years of people saying "Yes it's very good" in the background before I bothered checking it out.

The fact that it seems to be all writers so far is a bit eyebrow raising too, because while the age of the superstar comic artist has kind of passed at this point, I'd be way more interested in checking outa Al Ewing x Ed McGuiness book or Al Ewing x Olivier Coipel over Al Ewing x some competent but workmanlike indie comics person that they can probably get for less money

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There are stories where two bad guys of varying degrees of severity fight

If I was the judge, I'd declare in favor of Ditko's relatives, but give all the money to Gruenwald's daughter instead

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Reading this week's ASM has got me thinking, have there been a lot of solo superheros who operate with what amounts to a pit crew? I know that Iron Man can resemble that in certain runs, and that's kind of what the original Canary/Oracle Birds of Prey was on some level, but it's a dynamic I don't think is used too often which is weird because it provides a pretty elegantly built-in supporting cast along with allowing you to have protagonists who don't have to be omnicompetent polymaths capable of doing literally everything

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If Kirby was the actual god of the Marvel Universe, would that make Spider-Man hellspawn, and does that explain Mephisto's obsession with him?

I didn't mind the religious stuff in the Hulk finale because if you're looking to humanize an all-knowing all-powerful creator deity then him having a Hulk to explain all the pain and suffering in the universe makes a fair amount of Marvel Universe sense, along with the idea that sometimes you have to be willing to conscientiously not flip out and smash poo poo in order to prevent things from getting worse. That kinda philosophical moralistic poo poo normally makes my eyes roll pretty hard but considering the story had committed 100% to the metaphysical angle at that point, I felt it had earned it.

I mean, having Hulk be a spiritual creature with one foot in the afterlife isn't any weirder to me than mutants being the result of a couple of random dice rolls by the Celestials. It's actually a lot more interesting than that, at least to me, because the Celestials might look cool but gently caress are they boring

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Azubah posted:

Is she staying in her more monster form? I liked it.

It also made some people very mad.

I never minded super shredded mega muscle She Hulk, but her being a monosyllabic rage monster is like taking Batgirl and making her an angsty billionaire orphan

Spin-off oughta be different. There's a reason that Lauraverine doesn't go around in cowboy boots and flannel drinking beer non-stop.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Was Wandavision really that much bigger of a hit than Loki?

People really like Loki. The show and the character as played by Hiddleston. Even if the ending was "CHECK THIS GUY OUT HE'S GONNA BE A BIG DEAL IN THE FUTURE"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Who's that green basset hound and why does he get a slot and not Cosmo?

Why is Cosmo not on one of the SWORD stations? The X-Men love monopolizing psychics, they should be all over him

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
moon knight is so good why is moon knight so loving good its loving moon knight what the hell

Also, did I miss an issue of Amazing Spider-Man, or was the fight with the U-foes skipped over? The issue gap makes what would otherwise a "this was unimportant and handled off-camera" a bit less clear to me

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Skwirl posted:

Maybe they're relaunching Iron Fist with Colleen Wing in the role like the Netflix show and this is the build up?

Maybe this is just old man brain talking, but it seems weird to me to have her primary M.O. for fighting suddenly become a dragon chi-infused punch after she and Misty have been "Sword Girl and Bionic Arm+Gun Girl" for so long

I'm sure the Netflix stuff is some part of the equation, but, haven't Luke and Danny's prominence in general significantly shrunk with Bendis' departure? He was the big booster for characters like them and Spider-Woman

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
One thing I think is kind of weird about ASM is how big of a fuckup Ben is being depicted as. Granted that's like the trademark Spider-Man move, but Misty and Collen had to clean up the Morbius mess for him, and we aren't privvy to him paying the U-Foes back for what happened to Peter (which makes me wonder if there are some Beyond Corp shenannigans going on there)

It's not really a PROBLEM at the moment, but I hope the book doesn't develop a Young Justice-esque pattern of "oh not again" regarding an inability to get any satisfying wins (unless Kaine or Miles[Morales] show up to bully him, in which casje Ben should take his medicine)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1460363752839299079

I'm guessing this is "What if Miles spun out of Logan's whole deal and not Peter's?" which begs the question:

Will there be "What if Laura Kinney was (yet another) clone of Peter Parker?"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If I've got my chronology right, it led directly into freedom fighter Cyclops, which led into the original 5 X-Men becoming time displaced, which was right before Marvel tried to quietly shove all of the mutants into a locker hoping people would forget about them

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really hope that one day Knull goes the way of Deadpool's dueling narration boxes (complete with the more coherent and fun explanation for why, and then immediate and permanent dismissal thereof)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gologle posted:

So is Zdarsky's run on Daredevil over? I'll admit, I lost the plot a few times, mostly because I kept accidentally skipping issues. Did Electra's kid die? How is Matt out of prison? When did the Kingpin get remarried? Isn't Butch Kingpin's son? I thought Mike knew that Daredevil was Matt? Why is Mr. Fantastic fighting at street level? What does that last page imply? What about the clone Bullseyes?

This makes it sound like you read every other issue

The Daredevils power couple is a neat concept that I hope sticks around for a bit. I also hope Chip can eventually make the Hand interesting, which no one else has been able to do by my reckoning, which is baffling considering they're like, evil ninja wizards and poo poo

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Devil's Reign reads to me like Zdarsky was reading Civil War and getting irritated by how often it devolved into anticlimactic Hero VS Hero punch-ups instead of tackling the outlaw heroes thing in greater detail

I like it! Miles new costume is still terrible, though, especially when you have his new Spider-Verse costume to contrast it against

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
"The fun thing about Civil War is that both sides have good points!" Mark Millar shouts while gleefully typing about a berserk aryan robot that kills a black dude and indefinite incarceration without trial in a hell dimension

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Clea as sorceror supreme is cool, but is there some rule now that says everybody has to wear Steven's pajamas if they take over his job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you do a board with red string about marvel conspiracies, the central node always has to be HOT CLAWS!?

If I remember right, hot claws came along after Aaron introduced the idea of Phoenixverine, so I assume someone was just saw that and went "Hm, what if just hot claws though?"