Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Billzasilver posted:

Speaking of runs and Alan Moore, what the gently caress is the status of miracle man now? Indefinitely hiatus for another 5 years?

Newsarama posted:

At the 2018 San Diego Comic Con at a retailer only event Marvel announced legal hurdles causing the cancellation had been resolved and the new series will begin publication in 2019 with the previously announced creative team of Gaiman and Buckingham on board.

Source.

...so yeah, 5 years is a safe bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lobok posted:

It's so we can get cool panels of him out in the cold with steam rising from the claws.

Or to lower the amount of blood in his comics since all the wounds he inflicts are instantly cauterized.

I can't wait for them to rebrand Sabertooth as Lightsabertooth!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Yes please!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

X-O posted:

I really liked the first issue of Shatterstar a lot. Like I wouldn't mind an entire series of Landlord Shatterstar and his Time/Space/Dimensional Displaced Tenants.

Also is Pug Smasher a new character? Because if so he's now my favorite new character.

Yeah, I liked it too. I don't know much about Shatterstar but I'm generally down for small-scale stories focusing on C or D level characters.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gatts posted:

It's probably Cerebro and he can wear it wherever.

I call it...wear-ebro.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Where's that Throg in all this?

Unsuccessfully trying to save the frogs of Central Park.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/JeffLemire/status/1126538886002413569

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1126534605710950400

Totally down for North/Harren, Lemire, and Zdarsky.

Unrelated, but this Canadian comic writer Twitter discussion about milk bags was a bright spot for me yesterday (read the whole thread):

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1126206952860729345

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

At some point Immortal Hulk has to stop outdoing itself, right?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God I hope not.

That last page belongs on the side of a van.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looking for an old post of me that’s very loving relevant today. Found it:

HULK. SNGASH.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s Peter Parker under the sheet because Marvel is doing the same thing to Sony it did to Fox with the FF. All Spider-Man books are cancelled until Disney can buy Sony. Mystery solved, where’s my No-Prize?

Moving forward all Spiderman comics will be replaced with Spider Ma'am.

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1169931558314291200

I'm okay with it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Panama Red posted:

I'm randomly picked up "Gwenpool Strikes Back" issues 1 and 2 because I like the idea of Gwenpool but unfortunately they forgot to make the books funny

I hear Immortal Hulk is a good series, plus he's traditionally been one of my favorite characters, although it sounds like they went in a very different direction (more horror than superhero)

Can anyone recommend any other good Marvel series?

I guess I should be more specific and say that I like thoughtful, creative comics that still fit the conventional action-adventure superhero story. It doesn't have to be a series where I could pick up the #1 at my local comic book shop (Fantom Comics in DC) but ideally something that would be accessible to someone who hasn't been into Marvel in awhile.

Squirrel Girl is one of my faves.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Mulva posted:

Incidentally spoil tags are useless when there is no context for what they are spoiling.

Immortal Hulk by the way.

Right, I just avoid the general thread entirely until I'm done my weekly reads. Apologies.

...so did Hulk's evil dad eat the universe or what?

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 2, 2019

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

In other Immortal Hulk news the Absolute Carnage tie-in that came out this week is worth a read. It makes some of what's been going on in Immortal Hulk a bit more explicit and you don't really need to know what's happening in Absolute Carnage to follow.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

JordanKai posted:

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1180224394897039362

Cates is a wonderful writer, but I'm not digging the vibes on this one. Thranduil-lookin' Thor. :cenobite:

Between Cates and Ewing it's only a matter of time before we get King Thor vs. Symbiote Hulk at the end of the universe.

And yes, Ewing on Guardians should be great

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

‘Halt And Catch Fire’ Showrunner Wants You To Please Stop Confusing Him With A White Supremacist

Halt and Catch Fire was a really good show; it took a little bit to set up the board and get moving, but I'd recommend it to just about anyone.

Agreed. He previously wrote She Could Fly as well, which was a great exploration of mental illness if a bit scattered (probably appropriately), so. I'm looking forward to what he does with Doom.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Kind of a slow month for Immortal Hulk but I guess the cosmic stuff they built up last week will tie back in pretty soon. I'm in for Hulk smashing capitalism in any case.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Android Blues posted:

It's cool to see Amadeus show up. Also, that political cartoon with the Hulk labelled DEBT? Perfect satire.

On the other hand I'm not sure this is a writing error or a commentary on how dumb shock jocks are...

In non-Hulk matters it was fun to see Drumheller in the Absolute Carnage Weapon Plus tie-in but I'd have liked to see more terrible giant dinosaur statues and fewer rolling hills of evergreens to get the true Drumheller vibe.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 6, 2019

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

We were going to put Carnage in a Wexit shirt but thought it would take away from his credibility.

:golfclap:

I'd take Cletus over Jason Kenney in a heartbeat.

Cloks posted:

Edit: Enjoyed Black Cat as well. It stole a blender for my heart.

Agreed. Beautiful writing on Batroc who I hope we see again soon.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

We were going to put Carnage in a Wexit shirt but thought it would take away from his credibility.

I mean, he is building a mindess doomsday cult that worships black goo so it's not far off.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 7, 2019

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Environmentalist Hulk vs. the capitalist minotaur is a bit on the nose but I'm on board for the smashing of corporations. Love how Bennett draws the minotaur as well.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Absolute Carnage didn't do a whole lot for me, but the Maker using symbiotes to facilitate interdimensional travel while attempting to restore the Ultimate universe with the blessing of the council of Reeds is an interesting idea to spin out of the event.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Still not sure how I feel about Cates' Thor yet, but I'll give it a few more issues.

Casually chumping out the Justice League in the into pages was mildly amusing, though. I guess I've read more Marvel than DC, but it seems like they make a lot more references to the competition than vice versa.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Not surprisingly, Tom Taylor's Immortal Hulk/Spider-Man one-shot is really good. I wouldn't have picked it up if I hadn't seen his name on the cover but I'm glad I did.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Hulk chat: I was a bit surprised at how easily Dario and Xemnu went down, but it was satisfying in these times to see a parasitic capitalist hoisted by his own (super gross) petard.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

ASM was pretty :kimchi: today.

I love that Peter & Fred have a pet Gog now.

And hey, next issue we finally get moving on the Kindred plot! :toot:

In July! :negative:

Yeah, I'm a sucker for a sad animal story with a happy ending.

Now only a month or so until the next Hulk. :smith:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

So good to have Immortal Hulk back! Mostly a place-setting episode, but as someone with little knowledge of past runs it was nice to get some history on the Leader.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

howe_sam posted:

The Squirrel Girl War of the Realms arc was how to do a tie in story right.

The Immortal Hulk issue of whatever the last Carnage event was (Absolute?) was really good.

I was wondering when they'd update the release list as the one in Empyre #0 Avengers indicated that the event was almost over. I didn't particularly care for the issue but it's Al Ewing so I'll give him a chance.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The only good Knull appearance is as a sword. Pretty sure I don't need any more at this point.

Well too bad, because KNULL IS COMING.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I really enjoyed this week's Guardians of the Galaxy. After a bit of a shaky start it looks like Ewing has found his stride!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

After a couple slower issues poo poo's hitting the fan again in Immortal Hulk. Well, poo poo, gamma radiation, blood, and various other things. As usual, I can't wait til the next issue!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Looking at the new Marvel Previews, and I have to wonder... How many First Nations people were involved in the production of their Native American Cover theme this month.

Zero, or just near zero?

It looks like the artist who did all the covers is Native American, so one?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

KaosMachina posted:

honestly the Jason Aaron run has been, at some level, a big "Shove all the toys together! Also they're bigger and more powerful and the stakes are EVEN GRANDER and-" kind of story for a bit now.

Yeah, I cracked up at "now Moon Knight has the Phoenix Force" because of course he does.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cartridgeblowers posted:

What was the Rocket/Groot epilogue in Guardians this week referencing?

I'm not sure either - something Thor-related, I guess?

Speaking of Guardians, I'm not sure Rocket Raccoon investigating a space murder is the most appropriate direction for the series, but I'm down for it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Knull is the new Mantis.

Yeah I enjoyed the self contained murder mystery in this month's Guardians but then WHAM I got Knulled.

Similarly, not too keen on Morlun being involved in the current ASM plot.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

King in Black #1 is exactly like I expected it to be, for the most part. A great issue if you are reading the current Venom stuff but I wonder what people who don't read that book will think.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

God Knull is just so boring to look at. I don't know if this would be a good comic if he had a decent design but having an abysmally dull one sure doesn't help.

The fact that his logo is a riff on Spider-Man's even though he's the oldest being in the universe really irks me. I guess maybe he added it when he encountered Venom but I don't think he's been depicted without it at any point.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It was pretty ballsy to have an entire issue of Venom take place in the time it took Eddie to fall from the top of a building and end before he even hit the ground.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

JordanKai posted:

New Beta Ray Bill series by the author and artist of Murder Falcon and Extremity! :stoked:

https://twitter.com/danielwarrenart/status/1339303260180582401

Sweet, DWJ is great and Beta Ray Bill seems sufficiently METAL for his aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

IUG posted:

So I was given a free copy of King in Black since they missed one of the comics I wanted. King in Black is easily one of the worst comics I've ever read, holy poo poo. I feel bad for anyone who likes it, and the one million tie ins.

I was surprised that the reading guide at the end of each issue indicated that the event was ending in December after KiB 2 but it turns out they just didn't include January, February, or...possibly later, I don't know.