Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

nemesis_hub posted:

Wow, now that I’ve read the whole thing, I can confidently say: Last Remains was terrible! Absolutely nothing happened after all that build up. Might stop reading from here on tbh. I just want Spider-Man to be good again, for an extended period. More Zdarsky or Taylor, less Slott or Spencer.

I must have missed something because I thought Norman was rendered un-evil by the Sin-Eater. Maybe that wore off when I wasn't paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh hey, so (ASM spoilers) Norman was faking being evil again. What a rollercoaster!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

Eternals #1 is real good, you guys

I have no familiarity with the characters and I'm here for Gillen and Ribic, but it seemed okay to me. A lot to take in for a newcomer but a promising start. Some of the art on Spite's face was...questionable though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

When was the last time Punisher was in anything?

He's in the Savage Avengers ongoing, or he was in the first arc anyway. If he's still a member of the team he's so overshadowed by the others that I've blanked on his continued presence.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

Al Ewing is really going all in on the King in Black tie-ins. S.W.O.R.D. was a fun way to use the event as a pretense for showing his team in action, and Immortal Hulk I'm not sure about. Maybe I'm misreading but it seems like he's tying Knull into the overall sweep of his narrative in a pretty fundamental way?

I guess the red text could be a Knull reference but I didn't read it that way initially and I expect there would have been more visual cues if that was the case.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm not particularly into King in Black, but Si Spurrier has a fun Black Knight tie-in this week. He's mostly taking the piss out of the character which I found amusing, but if you happen to be a big Black Knight fan you might not appreciate it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

Apparently Doctor Doom is joining the Guardians of the Galaxy. How has that book been?

Good to very good, as per usual for Ewing. I like it anyway!

I'd prefer if he brought back the Prince of Power over Doom, though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I kind of like the new Spidey direction in theory but in practice it came off as half baked. If they kill Gog I'm out.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I'm fairly certain, without checking, that this was the artist who did Murder Falcon, which is the only comic about a heavy metal bird man that has ever made me cry.

Yeah, it's Daniel Warren Johnson - he has a pretty distinct style and he's one of my faves in recent years. Check out Extremity too if you haven't yet.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

X-O posted:

The Marvels is the kind of book I've been hoping for as long as I can remember. I thought the concept was too close to an anthology book to be viable in the modern market and it might be. But having a book with no set roster where literally any Marvel character could pop up at any time for just one page or for a whole storyline is a great idea. Well it's a great idea provided you can get someone to write it that can actually write pretty much everyone well. Fortunately they've got one of the few people I'd trust to do that well in Kurt Busiek. I don't know if it'll last but it's going to be one of the books I look forward to the most as long as it does.

Not surprisingly it kind of reminds me of Astro City, with Threadneedle in place of the Broken Man from the last Astro City run.

I hope Busiek can stay healthy enough to keep a regular schedule with Marvels.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Interesting developments in this month's Hulk! Looking forward to see where things go now that Jennifer Walters aka: She-Hulk to make the spoiler text longer is directly involved.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so is ewing going to finish this arc, at least?

Yeah. Three more issues to hit 50. Hell of a run - I'll miss it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm loving Hellions - has Zeb Wells had any other runs that are worth looking into? Based on Wiki it looks like he's mostly done one shots here and there with a few brief runs.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Yeah, me too. I was reading it on marvel unlimited and once I heard it was going to be an even fifty issues I decided to just wait for it to be done and binge it. It was by far my favorite current title, but I’m glad it’ll have a definite conclusion as opposed to just petering out or get taken over by a different writer. I know some dipshit, I think Cates is taking over Hulk but they’re not going to be still calling it Immortal Hulk, right? It’ll be some status quo revamp?

E:^well that answers that. : )

Brace yourself for the Inevitable Knullk.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

drat of Donny Cates didn't put the most pure expression of things he likes on the last few pages of Venom #200. Legit laughing about how dumb it is, but also sure. Why not?

I didn't much care for King in Black, but 200 had some funny bits and some good ideas, so the series ended on a relatively positive note. Now bring on the Ewing!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, that run has had a lot of build-up with no real climax.
Also, I wouldn't call 875 a milestone.

Yeah, I can't imagine how all the Kindred stuff will be resolved by September.

Speaking of, I worry a bit that Immortal Hulk will feel rushed based on where things stand now but Ewing's been planning for 50 issues all along so I'm reasonably confident that we'll get a satisfying conclusion.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Seems like Ewing hit a triple this week, because any Hulk fans shouldn't sleep on Gamma Flight. I thought it was gonna be another one shot, but it's def at least a mini, because there's some interesting subplots set up (and Titania and Creel are actually very sweet in their own way).

The redemption of Crusher Creel starting in Saladin Ahmed's Black Bolt is one of my favourite storylines running through multiple comics in the past few years. I also dug Gamma Flight, and I think it was listed as a 5-issue mini so we have more to look forward to. I fully agree that all of the Ewing books were great this week. It will be fun to have SWORD more directly connected with his cosmic stuff than the other Krakoa-related X-Books.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gologle posted:

Man, the Hulk is so cool you guys

So good!

Guardians of the Galaxy annual was super great too, in an entirely different way. Good week for fans of Al Ewing!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Boy, you know the author is Canadian when a character is singing Stan Rogers. (In reference to the backup story in Miles Morales Annual #1).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I've been pretty ambivalent on Donny Cates's Thor, but he's assembled a team that will get me back for the next issue at least:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

speaking of Ryan North and Halloween, his Darkhold: Iron Man one-shot from the other week was quite good imo. he should write more horror comics

Yeah that was shockingly good and pretty disturbing. I kept thinking it was Jeff Lemire because it didn't seem like something North would do and all Canadians are the same.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gatts posted:

Hickman taking on Spider-man is something I'd love to read. I hope it happens and he has something new in concept to bring into it. Though the current hot thing is the Spider-verse for movies.

I loved the re-imagining of the X-Men in this way.

After his success with Krakoa, perhaps it's time for some sort of spider island.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I'm of the mind that Savage Avengers is a perfect Marvel book that maybe too many people slept on.

It was really great and made the most of what seemed like a questionable premise. Definitely worth catching up on for those who missed it, especially as it's done now.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Speaking of space marines, Marvel just reissued a chunk of Dark Horse Alien comics. Colonial Marines was terrible, Music of the Spears was wacky enough to be interesting with a really chunky Alien design, Stronghold was surprisingly good for a book in which one of the covers featured an Alien smoking a cigar, and Salvation was a pretty standard story but worth checking out for Mignola on art.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Boxman posted:

Reading marvel for the first time in 7 years update - I jumped to Go Down Fighting to see what Spider-Man was up to and boy howdy Dan Slott really never improved his moment-to-moment writing, huh?

His very straight forward, describe everything writing is just about perfect for a big flagship book like that, I suppose. I'd imagine Zdarsky's work on the character was good. Any other highlights?

Tom Taylor's run on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man was great.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, they were married. I just realized I read most of the books leading into their relationship and marriage and while Clea, even in 1970s writing, never struck me as the kinda girl that would take her husband's name, I'm not sure if her last name ever came up.

According to today's issue her people don't have last names so she went for it.

Weird of this week's Elektra Daredevil to spoil next week's Devil's Reign, but I guess that sometimes happens with events.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah Ribic can sometimes just make people look ugly/old as hell

I like this book a lot, but his Sprite just continues to baffle me. She's supposed to be 13 or something!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm petty sure that what they say happens in Woman Without Fear isn't exactly what happens in Devil's Reign.

My guess is Mike gets killed, not Matt. But since he's been pretending to be Matt, that's who people think is killed.

Good call! I've been enjoying Zdarsky's Daredevil but this event is a bit of a mess - the multiversal octopus stuff in particular.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I haven't been loving Spider-Man Beyond, but this week's issue is worth picking up for a fraction of a Nextwave reunion. I guess it's wrapping up next week - do we still not know what's happening afterwards?

Edit: oh, it's Zeb Wells. I remember hearing about that but I think I misinterpreted it as him running Beyond and leaving after.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 16, 2022

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair you aren’t missing much, they already socilited the first issues of Zebs run and 900 and to be honest none of them sound interesting at all

Oh right the whole "everyone hates Peter" and "WHAT HAVE I DONE" business. Guess it wasn't memorable enough to really register.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

Wait what have I got to read to watch my lovely lovely government get their comeuppance?

It's not X-Men but Gillen's Once & Future covers this nicely.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Oh my god it literally is Joker Spiderman. That owns so much.

https://imgur.com/cqEAQdC

Haha I actually missed this because it appeared after the ad for the next issue so I assumed the story was done. Post credits scenes are in print now!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Rick posted:

I will always think Jack of Hearts is cool because in one of the first comics I read, they found him and like apparently half hiis body had rotted away or something and someone had hosed with his powers so he had to fly into space and blow himself up.

I don't remember which comic this was actually from but it stuck with me.

This is in fact directly addressed in She-Hulk! Or...in the process of being addressed, anyway. I didn't read the original story but he flew into space after siphoning She-Hulks gamma.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I liked how he no-sold Daredevil's Purple Man penance stare. The series was a bit messy overall but the Kingpin parts hold together pretty well and tell a good story.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I still don't really care about the Eternals as characters, but I really like Gillen's Eternals. Hope the upcoming EVENT isn't a total disaster!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1516041805535531011

Will this be the first podcast I ever listen to? Eh, maybe. But it sounds fun!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

Madelyn Pryor. Clone of Jean. Goblin Queen.

As opposed to Ben's recent psychiatrist, the Queen Goblin.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I agree that the writing was good, but the main plot hooks didn't do much for me. I appreciate that Tombstone saved his cat though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lobok posted:

The gig economy makes sense for Peter but for the reader it's a bit hollow if there's no central location or consistent supporting cast.

Who needs Peter, imagine how much money Spider-Man could make as an Uber!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Splint Chesthair posted:

Wasn’t there just a bit where Spidey was basically a streamer?

Yeah, there was a sponsorship deal with a wacky new costume as a part of Spencer's run.