Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

Dang you're right I should've ran 4 concurrent teaser threads for a few months before merging them into a return of the marvel thread

I wouldn't be interested at all in what those threads are leading up to, but I would read one or two of them if they had posters I liked in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I was really hoping for a 2099 thread

Now where am I gonna talk about Ravage? :(

anywhere you want baybee

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nilbop posted:

I'm sure someone could correct me on what the top consistent sellers generally are.

What's that steel chair shaped spotlight in the sky?!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nilbop posted:

People cannot seriously be saying that the better version of a character is "time-displaced teenager that ignores 50 years of story" can they?

Murder the time-displaced X-men and feed their spirits into my nefarious soul-engine so that original Scott can come back and knock some sense into you. I want the Scott who did nothing wrong, not the Scott who did nothing wrong.

time-displaced teenager Scott never left his wife and child in Alaska without a moments hesitation

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there's a difference between liking a character warts and all and thinking that the many huge, disgusting, disfiguring warts are so essential that they are the entirety of what defines the character, and giving them a fresh chance at developing new, potentially more interesting and less deal-breaking warts is sacrilege.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Metalshark posted:

Ok, this is cool: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/peter-parker-as-the-punisher-and-more-marvel-what-ifs-coming-this-fall

Domino having Major Kusanagi's hair in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is incredible. :pusheen:

Miniseries giving lesser characters a chance and fun projects like this are an excellent direction to take.

Also, echoing the X-23 love. Just a fantastic comic, and some of the little touches in the art and lettering really set it apart beyond it having an intriguing plot and compelling characterisation.

huh i just vibrated off my chair for some reason, weird

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Onmi posted:

Illuminating Comics, who does text edits of Marvel properties (currently doing Secret Empire) put out a review of TLofCM, because despite what people think, they really like Carol. Their review was... interesting.

http://illuminatingcomics.tumblr.com/page/2

The only thing I remember about this guy is getting the impression that he reads far too much /co/ from his text edits

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Excited to see oneshots featuring Nanny, Warwolves, Dracula and Mojo II.

This but unironically?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The symbiotes came from you, the fans, in all of your hearts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

much

your

posting

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

He's probably too busy working on the Daily Show.

He hasn't been writing for the Daily Show for the past like 3 years, I don't remember if he left when Jon Stewart did or before that but it's been a while.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Domino and X-23 are both good.

:same:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

^burtle posted:

That was like one run of Spider Man #1 in 1995 tho.

3/5ths of those sales were the same people buying 3 copies of all 71 variant covers though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Crowbcat Generation

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

:toot:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Sabretooth still trying to be Pepsi to Wolverine's Coca Cola or is he bad again?

(please do not derail with how you like one drink more than the other, nobody fuckin' cares)

he's currently the leader of Weapon X, the incredibly heroic team consisting of himself, Lady Deathstrike, Omega Red, Mystique and Domino.

so yes, he's still good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sorry, The All-New Weapon X-Force

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Does Kelly Thompson just straight up write everything at Marvel now? She gets to write a series about one of the mayor characters during the time their movie comes out. That's huge!
Remember when Hawkeye was canceled and people speculated that she wont be around anymore?

Seriously, how many concurrent comics are that? This, Mr. & Mrs. X, West Coast Avengers, Jessica Jones, I think there was another upcoming X-men book, the Nancy Drew book. Am I forgetting something here?

every Marvel comic is written by Kelly Thompson, Greg Pak or a pseudonym of one of them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I feel like this even happens on the bigger/richer characters, I've lost track of how many times that Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Lex Luthor, or Bruce Wayne have lost their fortune and had to operate leaner and smarter and oh wait someone got bored with this status quo, they're a multi-billionaire again.

Speaking of which, did anyone read the last issue of Slott's Tony Stark: Iron Man comic? The entire comic was built around the idea that some shadowy company launched Tinder, except the way this Tinder worked was that a human would fill out a profile and (unbeknownst to them) the Tinder company would build an incredibly lifelike AI robot/life model decoy that was their perfect mate and then I guess they'd just seed the world with hundreds/thousands/millions(?) of these perfect AI soulmates until one of them got security clearance to a big company like Stark Industries and then they'd immediately transform into Hivemind Thief Robots and try to steal all the technology they can to profit!!!

Think of all of the technological advancements they could steal, all for the mere cost of seeding the world with countless perfect human duplicates that could initially fool even the world's greatest technologist! That can't cost that much money, right?

the plan only needs to go on until the VC money runs dry, duh

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

aww man I didn't realize Weapon X was ending in December

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

I almost read half of this

Impressive fortitude

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I think I'm in the vast minority but Greg Pak's whole Weapon X/Weapon H/Weapon X-Force run has really threaded the needle of clever-stupid in an enjoyable way. Weapon H as a character is ridiculous on the face of it but is done with just enough of a straight face, and the book itself draws in a bunch of stuff I enjoy (Dario Agger trying to profit from the natural resources of Weirdworld and hiring Weapon H, Korg, Titania, etc. as private contractors, weird Hulk/Brood/Wendigo/etc. hybrids, etc.)

I assume that Pak is wrapping this all up with this final mini-series, and not unlike Sabretooth leading his Weapon X-Force of every C-list 1990s X-Villain (Omega Red! The Nasty Boys! The Original Next Wave ft. The Original Agent X!) into Hell by getting killed by a bored and louche Azazel is a fitting ending to that series, a big dumb Hulk & Wolverine vs. Hulkverine should be a fun wrap-up.

Greg Pak and Weapon X rules

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kikkoman posted:

I love Pak's Planet Hulk and Red Hulk stories but have fallen off the Marvel train these last few years... If I want to check out that stuff, do I need to start with Weapon X? I just looked it up on Comixology and noticed it's got Greg Land's name attached to it.

it's just the first like, 4 issues that have Land art, after that it's Marc Borstel and Ibraim Roberson for a bit before Yildray Cinar takes over for regular art duties with a few fill-ins sprinkled in.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

please don't oversaturate Gabby

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no Domino in the February solicits? :wth:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

when Counter X started, the first thing Ellis had happen in X-Force was Pete Wisdom showed up and convinced the team to let him replace Domino as the team leader because he could show them how the world really worked

Alaois fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 5, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wait wait wait i know my marvel history i can answer this

Rick Jones

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

And y'all were worried about Gabby being oversaturated

no that was just me, everyone else was saying "Gabby should be in everything"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think the Technarks Magus and Warlock were explicitly named as reference to Adam Warlock and Magus but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the optimist in me wants to say that Rachel is still a hound because the first arc of the new X-Force book is gonna be about X-Force chasing down Ahab and she's gonna be involved in that but the pessimist in me wants to say it was because gently caress You, Rachel Gray which is a depressingly common sentiment in the Marvel universe

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and isn't the Marvel Noir universe dead? the last Noir series was 8 years ago

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

big, if true

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

go to your room, franklin

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

Miles got put on the main avengers team like the second he got brought over to 616

ssh, let him have his weird misinformed hot take, he's not from around here

maybe next he can tell us about how the manga model is so much better and more effective, why don't american comics just try using that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do any of them have writing creds other than for videogame websites?

I think the only one of them who even reads comics is Clint

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Goldballs sounds hilarious. What other hilarious mutants have been made this decade?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

Is glob this decade

2001, amazingly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

e2: guess i missed this last month but domino ending actually has simone rolling it into a team book called hotshots with her and black widow and some other people??

it's a fuckin weird situation, the solo series ending was clearly super rushed, but they're starting a 5-issue series with the exact same creative team and mostly the same characters because ????????

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Minister of Sound posted:

Hi! I letter comics for Virtual Calligraphy/Marvel. We use a few dozen fonts developed exclusively for VC (there isn't really a standard font anymore). Unfortunately, they're not available to the public or anyone outside the company.

are you Clayton Cowles because if so thank you for lettering seemingly every comic book i've ever bought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why do my jokes keep being real

legit though, you do great work