Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

trailer for Rise of Ultraman. Not much new, except that it shows Ultraman and Ultraseven fighting. Which is absurd, Ultraman and Ultraseven are both Ultras from The Land of Light who fight to protect the earth. Why would they be fighting each other?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eumtx4wqRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

Since I know you love animes: Goku and Spiky Goku are both Gokus from Gokuplanet and they fight all the time.

No that comparison doesn't work. Goku and Vegeta are both Saiyans from the planet Vegeta, but Goku was sent to earth as a baby where he sustained brain damage and was then raised as a good guy by Gohan. Meanwhile Vegeta grew up in Saiyan culture, working for Frieza. Their conflict began when Vegeta came to earth to conquer it for Frieza, and of course Goku didn't want that to happen. And they don't fight all the time, they fought twice. First when Vegeta came to earth to conquer it, and again almost a decade later when Vegeta allowed Babidi to turn him evil.

That's not comparable to Ultraman and Ultraseven at all. They are both Ultras from Nebula M78, the Land of Light. Ultraman was chasing the criminal Bemular and SSSP member Shin Hayata got caught in the middle and died. Ultraman fused his life force with Shin's to save his life, and stayed on earth to defend it until the SSSP could handle itself. Ultraseven was a cartographer exploring the milky way when he noticed that earth was the target of numerous alien invasion schemes. So he took the form of a human called Dan Moroboshi and joined the Ultra Guard to defend the planet. He left when his time on earth was taking too much of a toll on his Ultra body for him to continue, and the Ultra Guard had shown itself capable of defending the earth without him.

The earths Ultraman and Ultraseven defended existed in different universes, and they have regularly ppked their heads into other universes to help other Ultramen, and even worked together. There is no conflict between Ultraman and Ultraseven.

edit: I'm dumb, it's probably an Alien Babarue disguising itself as either Ultraman or Ultraseven

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 13, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dreqqus posted:

Thank you for this, I love tokusatsu stuff but Ultraman has always been a blind spot for me.

I'm just an Ultra novitiate, I've only seen like 5 and a half seasons of it so far. But when the comic comes out I'll be more than happy to explain any extra Ultra stuff in it that I catch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If the Infinity Gems are sentient, does that mean they could get the Phoenix Force?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How many variant covers are they gonna do? They;ve shown like a half dozen, it's nuts.

Binary Badger posted:

Yet another Rise of Ultraman cover, this one by Yuji Kaida..

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alaois posted:

1st issue means its gonna get all the variants they can throw at it

That's going to make it hard for people who want to get all the different covers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

You better hope it doesn't go into multiple printings.

I do hope it's successful enough to get multiple printings. I guess I'll probably end up grabbing just a couple covers I really like.

Binary Badger posted:

I dunno if Ultraman mugging Zetton for his lunch money is gonna be much of a thing anyway.

I think like the sixth or seventh Ultraman's whole deal was that he was a master of Space Martial Arts, which basically meant that he was the first Ultraman who had a fighting style more advanced than the sort of crude brawling of the previous Ultras

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

It's all BS, anyway. He's like 10 feet tall and can easily put Chompsky up and climb out.

But what would he have to gain by lying about being stuck in a hole?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yvonmukluk posted:

So November's solicits are out.

Pretty hyped to see Vulpes' take on Taskmaster.

jesus christ you guys weren't kidding

VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKO
VARIANT COVER BY ALAN DAVIS
VARIANT COVER BY ART ADAMS
VARIANT COVER BY MAHMUD ASRAR
VARIANT COVER BY JEN BARTEL
VARIANT COVER BY BOSSLOGIC
VARIANT COVER BY RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
VARIANT COVER BY DAVE JOHNSON
VARIANT COVER BY JEFF JOHNSON
VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEL MUNDO
VARIANT COVER BY JENNY FRISON
VARIANT COVER BY RIAN GONZALES
VARIANT COVER BY INHYUK LEE
VARIANT COVER BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY JOHN ROMITA, JR.
HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY JACK KIRBY HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN PELLETIER
VARIANT COVER BY JOE QUESADA
VARIANT COVER BY KHARY RANDOLPH
DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY ESAD RIBIC
LAUNCH VARIANT COVER BY HUMBERTO RAMOS
PREMIERE VARIANT COVER BY ESAD RIBIC
VARIANT COVER BY WALT SIMONSON
VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
VARIANT COVER BY OTTO SCHMIDT
VARIANT COVER BY SUPERLOG
HEADSHOT VARIANT COVER BY TODD NAUCK
VARIANT COVER BY GREG LAND VARIANT COVER BY TAKASHI OKAZAKI
VARIANT COVER BY DAN PANOSIAN
VARIANT COVER BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
VARIANT COVER BY FRANK CHO
BLANK VARIANT COVER AND KIRBY CRACKLE VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
NEVER DIE. NEVER WIN. ETERNALS.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

also holy poo poo this looks awesome

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Have they done an event yet where every superhero got their own Iron Man suit?

If not you can have that idea, that's a freebie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is this Fortnite event canon?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dan Didio posted:

Apparently, maybe, yes.

Oh poo poo apparently it is not only canon, you need to play it to understand the upcoming event

https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1299017714552451073?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

He killed a terrorist on like national television or something in that run that started shortly after 9/11. It's why he publicly revealed his identity, which I thought was cool. Like, masked vigilantes capturing bad guys is one thing, but when they're killing terrorists they need be able to be held publicly accountable.

How does that make him more accountable? Captain America was created by the US government, presumably they know his real name. If he does a crime, the government can get him for it. And as far as I know, Steve Rogers mainly does super hero stuff under his Captain America identity, so if the public turned on "Captain America" that would be the same as it turning on "Steve Rogers". Making his identity publicly known just makes him slightly more vulnerable to public opinion on a personal level. It makes Steve Rogers cancelable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Same reason cops shouldn't be covering up their name on their badges.

But there are a lot of cops. If you know their badge number, you can determine which specific cop did a specific crime. There is one Captain America. If Captain America does a bad shoot, you don't need to identify which Captain America it was and which other Captains America were at the scene. Because you know it was Captain America.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Except several other people both before and since have been Captain America.

At the same time, in the same costume? If someone who wasn't Steve Rogers committed a crime while dressed as Captain America, then Captain America has to clear his name. If everybody knows Steve Rogers is Captain America, then Steve Rogers has to clear his name. But that's still the same thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BrianWilly posted:

I think the one of the key points here is that individual citizens with names and histories and social security numbers and so forth can be held accountable under a civil society, while a masked superhero -- however public they might be -- can't undergo that same process.

Let's say Captain America is forced, in a combat situation, to kill Crossbones or else he kills a bunch of innocent people. In a court of law, 99% of jurors would consider that a justifiable killing and so acquit Cap of murder charges. But you can't call "Captain America" to court; "Captain America" could be anyone, he could live anywhere, Clint Barton could conceivably put on the Captain America costume and appear as him. In order to get to the point where a civil system exonerates Cap for doing what he did, the people first need to know him as Steve Rogers, an unmasked U.S. citizen with a history and background.

If the issue is taking Captain America to court, then the fact that the government knows who he is would be enough. The NYPD could call up the military and be like, hey we need to know who that guy is. Or they could literally pull up to the Avengers Mansion with a warrant for the man known as Captain America, and arrest Captain America or Steve Rogers could be like, "yeah that's me"

If the issue is the jury automatically siding with "Captain America", then them knowing that Captain America is Steve Rogers isn't going to be super helpful by itself. Especially considering that that doesn't demystify Captain America, if anything it super mystifies him. Who is that under the Captain America mask? Oh it's a WW2 war hero who was given super powers by a secret military experiment and fought nazis and then gave up his life to save people but survived because it turns out he could survive being frozen in a glacier.

But none of that matters, really, if the issues is whether or not Captain America would stand trial for doing something bad. If Captain America does something bad and is repentant, he'll turn himself in. If he's unrepentant, then either he'll just run away using his superhero resources, or the other heroes will stop him and take him in themselves. It would depend on the nature of his bad deed and how many heroes thought he should be brought in. I suppose. Whether or not his identity is known doesn't enter into it.

I think this is the real value of Captain America revealing his identity

Skwirl posted:

That would make it easier to clear his name. I can't have been the Captain America that robbed that bank, fifteen people saw Steve Rogers at a grocery store.

It has nothing to do with Steve Rogers, it's about Captain America. It establishes that if Steve Rogers is in the suit, then that's the genuine bonafide original Captain America accept no substitutes. So whatever someone else does in the costume doesn't really matter. That's as long as Steve Rogers is a good guy. But if Steve Rogers becomes a bad guy, then they can say, that Steve Rogers is bad, but Captain America must live on, so everybody say hello to New Captain America!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dan Didio posted:

Did that not also happen, almost word for word in The Other?

They should establish that that's just a period all Spider heroes go through. It's like an embarrassing teenage goth phase.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't want to be a prude, but if the year you were born ends with "BC" you shouldn't be trying to pick up college students.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is anybody who is not already an Ultraman fan going to be picking up Rise of Ultraman this week?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As a man in my mid 30s I have no idea why anyone cares about/knows what Ultraman is. My stores owner seems to believe otherwise, but this thing is going to be dead in the water unless it is genuinely incredible. At 6 bucks? Oof.

There's the anime on Netflix that seems reasonably popular, and they just recently started releasing seasons of Ultraman on bluray for pretty cheap in America, and they've started streaming the current season of Ultraman, Ultraman Z, with English sub on Youtube as it airs in Japan. It's a big push to make Ultraman popular in America.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lol the Ultraman comic sure is an American comic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lurdiak posted:

Sounds cool!

They made the earth defense organization morally suspect with dark secrets, Fuji is a rookie instead of a respected equal member of the team, Shin is a hot shot with everything to prove instead of just a regular guy. And in the Ultra Q backup they replaced plucky lady reporter Yuriko with a new character who is a monster hunter with an electric sword. They made changes from the original Ultraman and the standard Ultraman format to make it feel more like a American comic.

I'm not opposed to that, but I do hope the USP's dark secrets are cleared up quickly and not actually that dark.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

MCU Spider-Man films being all about Tony Stark bullshit is far worse than whatever Venom bullshit you're pretending the movies would be about. There's also 7 Spider-Man movies and exactly one of them has Venom in it.

8 Spider-Man movies, counting Spider-Verse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ironically, the Venom movie is better than any of the Spider-Man movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Spider-Man 2 (the Raimi/Toby Maguire one) and Into the Spiderverse are better than the vast majority of superhero movies in general, so I'm not gonna take your word for it, but it does make me want to watch Venom.

Venom feels like it came from a universe where the Blade movies were the start of the superhero movie boom instead of the X-Men movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I basically was begging people to read Gillens Journey Into Mystery but nobody would bite for the most part. At this point his Darth Vader was years ago, and Die and Wicked and Divine don't exactly light my shelves on fire sales wise. I think I have had more people sign up for his new 40k comic than Eternals.

the 40k comic is a lot more attention grabbing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The best part is when a character gets popular and Marvel puts a book out featuring their first appearance. Like this, Gamora's first adventure.

Look at that cover. You can tell that's going to a fun Gamora space adventure. Why, the one thing that cover basically guarantees is that the story contained inside won't be the final chapter of a story about a space Superman fighting an evil god who is actually himself from the future, featuring Gamora as a minor character who appears less than Pip the Troll

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Is that just a straight reprint or a retelling? because if it's a reprint then it also has Gamora's first costume which.. yeah...

Straight reprint. And yeah that costume is great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm not sure about a bitter Ultraman who doesn't believe humanity can improve. That's kinda the opposite of Ultraman

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I haven't been reading the story, but doesn't the name imply its someone related to Peter? My guess is it's his dead baby

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Defenders defender has logged on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've been reading this collection of Typhoid Mary stories and I gotta be honest, I do not feel like this character is a very good exploration of mental illness, trauma, or feminism.

It's fun to see her costume change. It changes not only from issue to issue, but sometimes from one page to the next. It's like every artist was tasked with designing the absolute sexiest lady supervillain costume they could and it causes some kind of stack overflow where the costume is so sexy it looks horrible and they have to keep trying again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

I'm not super familiar with the character (partially cause a lot of it is missing from Unlimited) but is it the original Ann Nocenti Daredevil stuff or later stuff?

It's this collection, Daredevil: Typhoid's Kiss

It starts with her meeting Wolverine, and then a story where she meets Ghost Rider, adn then a big meetup with her, Wolverine, new spiky Ghost Rider, Dardevil, and Steel Raven. And there's dialogue establishing that she had met Daredevil before so I'm guessing it's all after that original run

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Looking at the reviews it's definitely all later stuff, but still written by Nocenti.

Nocenti really likes stories about women deciding all men are evil and need to be killed, only to be talked down by a man.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Warhammer Comic is good. A Marneus Calgar origin story is a very safe way to start the comics, but it gets the vibe of the universe well

How clever of a writer is Keiron Gillem? The first issue sets up an extremely obvious and kinda dumb twist, but it's so obvious I'm wondering if it's a misdirection and the actual twist is going to be that there is no twist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dawgstar posted:

He's both very smart and a Warhammer fan and player so it'll be fine, one imagines.

Skwirl posted:

Kieron Gillen is one of the smartest writers to exist in comics in terms of set up and pay off. He wrote the Kid Loki Journey into Mystery run for gently caress's sake.

Good, I hope you're right. It won't be a big deal if the dumb obvious twist happens, but it would be a little disappointing.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Care to spoil? It's going to be a few months before I actually get to read it, if it even is going to be allowed on the app.

The comic flashes back and forth between Marneus Calgar now as the Chapter Master of the Ultramarines, and in his childhood as the young scion of rich Ultramar nobility preparing to take the trial to become a Space Marine. As a child he's accompanied to the training by his two friends and his helot. Both his friends objected to bringing his helot, pointing out that its a waste of time, he's just a helot, but Marneus was like, "you never know, Space Marines can come from any walk of life". Marneus Calgar and his helot have the same skin tone and hair color and wouldn't look that different if not for their different styles of dress.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

radlum posted:

Does Calgar have a canon origin in the lore of the game or a Black Library book? I don't care much for Ultramarines, but that would be a neat twist. I liked the comic and the tone; the data pages went from kind of serious to over the top in a good way and I liked how the Mechanicus guys behaved.

AFAIK Calgar doesn't have a canon origin story before this comic, but a Space Marine's origin doesn't matter that much. The amount of brain surgery and psycho conditioning they go through means that most of them don't remember their life before they were a Space Marine. The Space Marine selection process looks for a core of mental strength, and then strips away everything else around it and builds a Space Marine on top of it.

And Calgar having been born a lowly helot doesn't make him more impressive considering that most Space Marines start out as illiterate savages on Feral Worlds. I just read the novel about the Blood Angels' Chapter Master, Mephiston. He started out as part of a tribe of cancer-ridden wandering scrap dealers on the rad-blasted hellhole Baal Secundus. A helot in a palace in Ultramar has a far more pleasant life than 99% of other aspiring Space Marines.

That's why I think the twist would be dumb. It adds a rags to riches story that isn't impressive in the larger canon and also doesn't matter to the character in the modern day. It's adding a feel-good element purely for it's own sake, which is the opposite of the whole point of 40k.

But if it's a double reverse twist, setting up non-40k fans to expect that standard kind of story but then just not doing it, welcome to 40k buddy that kind of stuff doesn't happen, then its pretty clever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tsuburaya put out a trailer for the first issue of Rise of Ultraman. I did laugh a little at "The original Shin Hayata was a dignified, experienced member of the Science Patrol, whose sense of justice allowed him to bond with Ultraman. Marvel's Shin Hayata isn't."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua3psn4Kay4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think since his show was a big success he deserves to change his name to Canwell