Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

site posted:

Why is Spider-Man in hell :ohdear:
Don't you read the Bugle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gatts posted:

John Byrne is one year removed from 69.

69 guys.

:newlol:
Not nice. Maybe next year.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

At a certain point, Dr. Redneck would just be a guy with an annoyingly written accent and a mullet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Whenever Gabby's not on screen, all the other characters should ask "where's Gabby?"
Also, she should have access to a device that converts other characters into Wolverine clones.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Covok posted:

I'm Puerto Rican. I dare you to literally name one Puerto Rican superhero. I mean I know all of them because there are a few. But I'm daring you name one. I'm not going to let you name sideways because he came out last year.
Skin? Yolanda Montez?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

site posted:

didnt know chocobos were in the marvel u

Wow that's amazingly blatant. Then again Square is doing the Avengers game so maybe they won't mind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I love Black Cat, but why are superhero paparazzi called "Cape chasers"? Aside from Thor twenty years ago none of the popular (both in universe and in the real world) heroes wear capes.
No-prize explanation: DC Comics is publishing in Marvel, and so most people are aware of characters like Batman and Superman, even if they "know" the real superheroes are the Avengers, led by Captain America and History's Greatest Monster, Tony Stark.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Just caught up with Immortal Hulk. Wow-ee.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am glad my weird love of Xenmu is finally being vindicated. Honestly Dario Agger is one of my favorite villains in years, so glad to see him outside the Thor book.
It's some drat fine comic books and it's made a Hulk fan out of me. I've never disliked the character exactly but now I'm into it. I have enough media awareness to have spotted some of the places that were probably references, but the entire thing just had a really fun pulsating psychobilly energy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TwoPair posted:

So I know people haven't talked about it much, probably because it's still an ongoing concern in the real world and so it's awkward to talk about... but I'm gonna: How does everyone think Marvel's gonna handle COVID? They always like to mirror our world, and especially because 90% of Marvel heroes live and operate in NYC where the virus has hit the hardest, it's gonna be downright impossible to ignore. I know in 20 years or so they can sliding timeline it to where no one could be doing much of anything to help because a lot of origin stories wouldn't have happened, but right now it'll be real awkward to have Reed Richards and every other super-scientist in the world loving stymied about this virus. Will we get another classic "Mutants can't get AIDS"-style reveal on Krakoa? Will they just outright ignore it in the ol' 616?

Also much more importantly than any of that, will Doom cry?
I think the most sensible thing to do will be to ignore it completely for right now and have a fictional equivalent/parallel get retconned in in the background, because it seems to be exactly contrary to most of the things you can do with superheroes. I have liked some of the fan comics I have seen of Spidey doing poo poo during social distancing and I could definitely see some one-off gags with people like Machine Man etc. who would not be capable of carrying it around.

It could also mean the end of monthly print comix as we know them potentially, which would throw a big ol wrench into the works of everything.

e: Yes, Doom will shed a single tear

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Is it pronounced "null," "kah-null," "Kin-ull," or "Connell"?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

They keep saying they were CIA, but they talk about them saving the world with ray guns from Hyrda and poo poo, and when Teresa contacts her old handler and finds her birth certificate it's Nick Fury Sr, so not really sure why they're not outright just said to be SHIELD?
Movie rights poo poo maybe?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Homeless populations across the country have been drastically increasing adjacent to freight tracks over the last few years. There's been concerted 'out of sight, out of mind' efforts lately where those all but abandoned areas are the only place they won't be harassed by cops.
I assume if you are willing to take the risk, the old fashioned hobo style of travel still works, too. The main difference would be you might have to go sit in the gravel or coal bin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Train yards have armed guards that shoot trespassers.
They did in the Depression as well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Seems it was Bleeding Cool saying it, so no official announcement yet.

Between this, Taskmaster, the Marvel Mecha book, and the Magic: The Gathering comic, it seems like he’s the go to guy when they want a comic to coincide with some other form of media (movie/tv show/toy/game).

He’ll always be the Spider Punk guy to me.
Looking forward to Vulpes' 5-part maxi-series that's a commentary on Miracleman's impact on the comics field and is also about Charleston Chew.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Blue hair is from the Kelly Thompson West Coast Avengers and is currently America's gf (hence why they're next to each other in matching poses). I forget her name or even codename. I think it's Alloy or something about how she has vibranium skin?

Also kinda hosed up that even on a variant cover they have Mystique holding her dead wife's mask instead of just having Destiny be there. Also, I feel like there's a couple of characters missing that could be there (Kate Pryde) and... I certainly feel like Vulpes, for instance, has been writing Cat as queer, but has it ever been made explicit?
Felicia was getting pretty handy-holdsy with a woman in the flashback in that one issue, but she's also on that lineup. I can't spot out Kitty tho.

BrianWilly posted:

I kinda like that Destiny is shown via mask. It's indicates the book is keeping up with current status quo and hints that this is an ongoing situation that people should be paying attention to.

...Wait, I just checked the picture twice, and where's Loki? They can't possibly have forgotten Loki, right? Am I going more blind?
Any of them could be Loki :tinfoil:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I meant it makes sense for Felicia to be LGBTQ+ but I wasn't sure it had ever been made explicit. Although I'm starting to feel a little hesitant or wary of the notion that any female character that's very sexually open/active is queer as it feels like it dances up against the line of some not-great stereotypes.

It's also definitely not meant to be exhaustive given that Charlene from Hulk is there and she's 100% categorically not a superhero, but like, Northstar's hubby ain't there.

Like she didn't kiss Tamara here on the mouth or look at the camera and say "I also am sexually attracted to women" but this seems pretty unambiguous.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

This is about 20% down to that Madripoor issue being like a year ago, and 80% me being dumb. That page posted is definitely every bit as explicit as a dialogue balloon of like "As you know, I am a bisexual woman who dated Tamara in the past" but way better. (I'd forgotten who she was by this last issue so because Fox is the one who mentioned her, i figured she was a contemporary of his and was like an aunt or something to Felicia :shobon:)
It's cool, it's been a year and Black Cat tends to go down smooth, easy and delightfully, so we don't end up arguing about it on the Internet

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

To clarify re: Infinite Destinies, I am not co-writing everyone else's annuals, I'm not sure how that made it into the press release. I'm writing/have written the Iron Man, Black Cat and the Avengers annuals, as well as the Fury backups that run through the whole thing (and yes, I am aware that I'm about the only person who likes Fury, but you should see what Juan Ferreyra is doing with them).

And thanks for supporting Black Cat over the last couple of years, goons, I appreciate it.
Your Black Cat comics are a delight, like Jupiter, with a light and turbulently energetic outer layer and a dense solid core of metallic feelings. Put that on your LinkedIn, true believer

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think a lot of the most popular stuff in fanfiction, or at least in the past which is totally outdated and I'm loving old leave me alone, is stuff that's kind of built on being relationship misery wanking. Stuff like Whedon. Where the instant anyone is happy horrible things happen and nothing ever gets a loving chance to breathe and establish a baseline. I remember being incredibly frustrated by that watching stuff like Buffy. Not to the point I wrote fanfic but I get it.
It's interesting because from what I have gathered of the O.G. Kirk/Spock slash fiction, a lot of it was - leaving aside the explicit homosexuality - kind of the opposite of this. The fanfic was providing anguish, suffering, long term consequences, loss, etc. Stuff that the show tended to wrap up fairly neatly due to its episodic nature.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Honestly, this is how I handled Steve Rogers coming back to life. Captain America Reborn was nonsense, so he was just suddenly OK in an issue of New Avengers and I never thought about it again.
Sonic the Hedgehog did it right:

https://twitter.com/poisonjams_/status/1392152675752419328

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Be sure that you're not talking about Catholic gilt, which can be seen in a lot of cathedrals, especially in Italy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I think for American creators the trick would be to have an idea for a superhero and come up with their backstory and personality and everything, and then throw a dartboard at a map to figure out their nationality.
I think Claremont beat the average although he didn't develop the original eight second-generation X-Men. If nothing else they didn't end up with National Stereotype Powers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ilikedirt posted:

gently caress is it that easy?
It was like an Asgardian desert. They all ended up in Asgard for... reasons. At the end of it even Loki was like "Yeah I'm taking back all your good poo poo but you know what I'mma let Shan there stay "not five hundred pounds" because gently caress the Shadow King."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Also, if the idea is 'every creator sets up their own paywalled site'... I'm not sure that's gonna be sustainable? Going to a store or a digital platform like Comixology, while having their own issues, has the element where big names like this can get eyes on their work. This is very much, to me, like asking the mountain to go to Mohammed.

Like, hey, sure, get paid, but I'd want to know the model is workable, is gonna have legs for more than a couple years and that an audience is actually willing to use it.

Edit: Like... looking at Tynion's statement about these deals... Substack isn't taking any stake in the publishing rights? So... like... can they just sell these comics through Image later? What about on Kindle or Nook or whatever other ebook platform? Like, I know it's a VC thing... but like... this looks like a loving money laundering scheme.
People have been paying $3 or $4 a month for 20-odd pages of art and story plus advertisements for a while, at least to some extent.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jiro posted:

:psypop:

What the gently caress is wrong with having a fun Spider-Man adventure where he teaches kids at the Jean Grey School? And he keeps doing it while foiling bank robbers or something.
The fact that hanging with the X-Men and dealing with their bullshit would be less baffling tells us that something has gone wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

One thing I actually did like about those panels was Logan's healing factor in its slower, OG version, was never a fan of the way it became almost supercharged in later years and trivialised almost any injury. The first time I saw it in action was after Scalphunter went full auto on him and the next issue opened with him lying on the ground wrecked and waiting helplessly while everything knit back together. Nowadays, he'd probably just shrug it off and keep fighting without missing a beat.
Hell, in the original version it wasn't fast enough to save him if you deliberately cut major arteries. (Though that came up in Murderworld, so Arcade could have done his math wrong.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

So long story short, Hate Monger was always *a* Hitler, and is still a Hitler.
I hear this new director of SHIELD, Adam Hilt, is going to take care of that. It's funny, he's all American, but he sounds like an Austrian guy! Sort of like Christoph Waltz, but angrier.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It failed because, as we discussed long ago, big heroes aren't interesting
What about big heroines? Those have a market niche.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nilbop posted:

Yeah I'm gotta flat-out disagree with Chip there. I don't care that he's his peer or corporate bedfellow, tenure does not dictate quality.
I figure quality is absolutely fair but I read what Chip is saying more as, when a guy has published over a hundred Spider-Man comics, at a certain point the critique is "I don't like how this guy writes Spider-Man,' not "this is out of character for Spider-Man." The latter would be more plausible to someone writing Spidey in a guest one shot where you could just go 'Yeah the Power Pack guy doesn't really get Spider-Man.' If you cared you could say he was having an unusually Ayn Rand day or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gripweed posted:

A science incident throws Spider-Man back in time, to the height of the Bird People civilization. When their floating island comes to demand tribute from the first settlers of the island of Manhattan, Spider-Man has to lead the humans to fight back against their avian oppressors, and even faces a prototype Bi-Beast! Six issues right there, easy.

edit: that can even be a lead-in to a mini-event where it turns out that time travel escapade created a centuries long animosity for Spider-People among the Bird People, so in modern times they unleash an army of super advanced Bi-Beasts on New York and all the Spider-Men and Women have to work together to fight them!
The Bi-Beast Saga: Choose A Side

e: I have been informed I am now Editor in Chief at Marvel Comics, but also, that I have been fired

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Completely coating the bone seems like a sucker's move. I have a titanium rod in my leg, just put adamantium rods in all of Wolverine's legs. All ten of them.

Normally I'd say 'OK, maybe some kind of skeletal coating is less traumatic' but we're discussing Wolverine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rick posted:

I get Lady Deathstrike and Spiral confused all the time. I wonder what Spiral is up to.
Spiral is doing poo poo in Mojoworld but seemed to be among the less malicious entities operating there, which mostly meant her organized snuff filming for ratings was relatively judicious. I like her hair lately though, it's a great look, so who can say if she is good or bad?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm trying real hard to think of a Marvel character who died and was reborn in some kind of spectacular form that was responsible for the salvation of the universe, but it raises the troubling spectre of the Dark Jesus Saga.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

How much does it cost to get one of these comics? Could we commission Marvel to do a promo comic for us?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I assume the Mouse is setting Vulpes up to mastermind the new hero of phase 6 of the MCU:

Bats the Ghost Hound.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What's probably more important is that Vulpes already has a plan and isn't going to compromise his artistic vision by listening to goons.

We'll truly know when we hear whether or not Felicia describes this period of her life as "it was really something awful"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's almost a palatable explanation for Hydra!Cap.

I loving hated Hydra!Cap.
I don't care much for 'the gods are their worshippers' thing if you're using the gods as actual characters because it smacks of 1970s fantasy in a bad way to me; but you know who you could get some mileage out of that premise with? The Punisher.

I don't think he'd like it, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

I always thought the Krakoan's justification of "If humanity was going to do it, why didn't they do it already? It's within their means" held water pretty well. And unlike Krakoa, Arrako pretty clearly doesn't have a no-humans-allowed policy, even if it's a bit more hostile in the general sense

I wonder if there's a timeline where Krakoa was not headlined by several of worst mutants ever to live, where humanity started cooperating more in order to compete with mutants, but in a less genocidal way than Orchis does it
Yeah, like, Captain America's regret makes sense... but it's Captain America saying it, and even he wasn't like NO!! OUR PLANET!! NO!!!!

Did anyone else hear that one line from Sauron? In fact, has Sauron shown up in the X-books at all, given his deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

wiegieman posted:

Krakoa also failed because a giant globe-spanning supervillain fascist organization lead by a genocidal super-AI from the future and another AI who is the last weapon humanity will ever build blew it the hell up.
In this local diner, all they can agree is that both sides share blame.