Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/DarcelTribune/status/1031542275871059968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

tangentially related to tonight’s big MCU news: how much longer can it really be before someone undoes the stupid Remender retcon of Magneto not being Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch’s father? That was canon for over thirty years, and I can’t imagine that there are that many creators or fans who think the High Evolutionary origin is an improvement.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It'll happen eventually but that was clearly an editorial mandate that span out of the ongoing Fox and DIsney drama at the time. I doubt that was a major component of Rick's plans. It felt very shoe horned in.

yeah, you’re probably right that that was editorially mandated, especially since it came not long before the release of Age of Ultron. of course, Marvel denied that, but they would, wouldn’t they?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

pubic works project posted:

Yeah it was in the first couple issues of the second Uncanny Avengers series.

More or less. the retcon that Magneto wasn't their father was in one of the latter few issues of Axis. the new origin was in the very short-lived Uncanny Avengers vol. 2

IIRC, the recent Scarlet Witch ongoing did give the twins a new canonical mother instead of Magda, but didn't reveal who their biological father was, so that's a convenient opening for a future writer to undo this dumb thing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

The Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch thing is actually just an undoing of a retcon more than just a retcon. They weren't originally Magneto's kids and their origin has always been tied to High Evolutionary in some way. I kind of like how freeing it was for them personally, and especially Pietro, that Magneto was not their father.

well, to each his own, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say you're probably in the minority there

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1062052518384070657

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FoneBone posted:

Re: extermination—what about that story from a few years ago where the original X-Men returned to their time but found out they couldn’t go back because “the timeline” or whatever had already replaced them? Did that get retconned?

yeah, X-Men Blue retconned them as being the evil future X-Men from Battle of the Atom, who were using image inducers or whatever to impersonate the O5 X-Men for some reason

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, Dan. :allears:

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1138054282371043328

If you ever wanted to see Twitter form like Voltron and dunk on Slott, now's your chance.

tweet deleted, what did this say

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

lol, who wants to bet that JJ is far too busy with Hollywood stuff to be more than barely involved in this project and that he mainly agreed to it to advance his son's career

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/ronchronchronch/status/1141712971422457856

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

I was wondering how they were going to approach History of the Marvel Universe, but the framing device on the first pages instantly sold me.

I'm curious how/whether this was coordinated with Hickman, because it seems likely that Powers of X will introduce some sort of major retcon(s) to X-history that may or may not be represented here.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

radlum posted:

It was pretty mediocre, but made me laugh a couple of times. Wasn't a Marvel equivalent in development but wasn't actually made because DC did it first?

You're thinking of Damage Control at ABC, yeah. it's not clear exactly why it didn't go anywhere, but Powerless having a similar premise and getting greenlit first probably didn't help

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Ewing following up on the Kree/Skrull hybrids story arc from his already mostly-forgotten New Avengers run seems like an odd thing to use as the foundation for a big crossover event years later, but I can certainly think of worse ideas.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/Carabas_co_uk/status/1169710203798982663

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

Brian's the person who wrote so many angry paragraphs in defense of zack snyder and mos he literally got both topics banned from the movie thread right

no that was McCloud iirc

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Conan isn't in the public domain, or at least Conan Properties International actively asserts the copyright and trademark for the Conan character. Apparently some of Robert E. Howard's original stories fell into the public domain because they hadn't been reprinted/filed for a period of time in the 1970s (the same way the Fleisher Superman cartoons are in the public domain and can be freely reproduced, but Superman isn't in the public domain).

Which is to say you can reprint old REH Conan stories, but if you're creating new Conan stories, comics, movies, posters, statues, etc. etc. you still need the Conan Properties license. Which Marvel did not have from like 1999-2018 and therefore didn't make or reprint or reference any Conan comics, but Dark Horse did. Marvel literally announced they'd struck a deal with CPI last year.

Related rights question: why is it that the Red Sonja rights are completely separate from Conan? She was created by Marvel for their Conan comics back in the 70s, so I would think she'd be with Marvel (either all along, or currently as part of the Conan license), but that isn't the case.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Technically Red Sonja is loosely based on/inspired by Red Sonya, an unrelated Robert E. Howard character. From the first solo issue of Red Sonja, Marvel credited it as "featuring the heroine created by Robert E. Howard", so she was considered part of the Conan the Barbarian Intellectual Property, same as Kulan Gath and other characters Roy Thomas and company created for the Conan comics. The same thing is true of most licensed comics, from Star Wars to GI Joe to anything else, just about the only exception I can think of is Marvel still having the rights to Red Ronin despite debuting in the Godzilla comic; maybe Toho had an unusual licensing contract?

Anyway, when they made the Red Sonja movie in the 1980s, Howard's estate split the Conan and Red Sonja rights into two separate holding companies to make licensing and promotion for each character easier, though Marvel's Conan license was grandfathered in to include Red Sonja. Once Marvel let the rights lapse, Dark Horse grabbed the Conan rights but presumably didn't want to pay up for Red Sonja, or maybe Dynamite outbid them? Regardless, Dynamite still has the Red Sonja license.

ah, that explains it, thanks.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

well, goddamn. Kevin Feige is now overseeing Marvel's publishing as well as animation and live-action television, with Dan Buckley now reporting to him instead of to Perlmutter (edit: only on the creative/editorial end, Buckley is still apparently reporting to Perlmutter on the business end of things, don't ask me how that's supposed to work)

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1184172169296633861

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 15, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

About time Ike got kicked to the fuckin curb.

it sounds like Perlmutter still has some say over the non-creative aspects of Marvel Publishing's operations, which could result in some... interesting friction

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

e2: on the flip side, i hope feige doesnt try and make marvel comics into the side adventures of the mcu

unsurprisingly, I'm seeing a lot of cynical takes predicting this, and while I can kinda understand them - I'm a fan of the MCU, but there's no question that Marvel Studios does have a house style, even if it's not quite as homogeneous as its detractors like to claim - I honestly don't think this is going to happen.

there will be changes at Marvel, but let's face it, superhero comics are not an enormously lucrative business in 2019. their main value is as an IP farm for other media, and I think/hope Feige would understand that heavy-handed interference to make comics more like the MCU would be completely counterproductive

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

IIRC, one of the things Bendis complained about when he took on Avengers back in 2004 was that there were too many B- and C-list characters he wasn't allowed to use in Alias because of their ties to the Avengers, hence putting Spider-Man and Wolverine on the team instead of Stingray or Firebird or whoever

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't remember this, but I also don't fully understand how this would work?

Literally the first issue of Alias guest stars Captain America (an Avenger). Carol Danvers (an Avenger) becomes a supporting character within a few issues. Scott Lang (an Avenger) becomes a supporting character not long after. The entire Avengers team is referred to consistently and appears in flashbacks throughout the final arc of Alias, which ends about a year before Bendis takes over the Avengers.

And then when he takes over the Avengers, he almost immediately adds Luke Cage to the team.

Was the logic that if he 'couldn't' use the Avengers in Alias, that he'd put A-listers on the team so he could use the C-listers in a hypothetical follow-up Alias book that wasn't the Pulse? I'm legitimately confused.

I can't be bothered to dig up the quote (and it might not even be possible given that the interview in question would have been a good 16 years ago), but I'm 95% certain that that's what he said. But you're right that it doesn't make much sense if taken literally.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I seem to remember hearing Fear Itself was originally supposed to be a much smaller Thor/Captain America crossover that got massively expanded after Matt Fraction's original pitch. Is there any truth to that? If so I kinda wonder what his original idea would have looked like.

yeah, I can't be bothered to find the quote but I definitely recall reading that it began as a Thor/Captain America miniseries to tie in with the two 2011 Marvel Studios releases. Brubaker was supposed to co-write it too, but he ended up just doing prologue and epilogue one-shots.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Marvel is trimming their COVID retail schedule by releasing single issues of their lower-selling books as digital exclusives

https://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-going-digital-only-with-select-single-issues/

Wednesday, May 13:
ANT-MAN #4
AVENGERS OF THE WASTELANDS #4
GHOST-SPIDER #9
RAVENCROFT #4

Wednesday, May 20:
2020 IRONHEART #1
MARVEL’S SPIDER-MAN: THE BLACK CAT STRIKES #4
HAWKEYE: FREEFALL #5
STAR #4

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

that's a lot smaller than the original checklist

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

the Hulkling one-shot was fun but I cringed hard at the "I want that twink obliterated" meme. if you have to shoehorn that into your script, you should at least put it in the mouth of a character who might plausibly say the word "twink"

also, Speed is now gay/bi and he and Prodigy are an item? was that previously established anywhere?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Kinda sorta in the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers except not at all. They were work friends then Speed vanished mysteriously, then a weird mystery person dressed like Patriot kissed Prodigy and Speed suddenly bodyswapped in and then freaked out and told Prodigy he wasn't into dudes. said he was moving too fast.

Phone posting so I can't inline it, but here's the relevant pages

http://imgur.com/a/sw8qtXT

thanks, I remembered the Prodigy/Speed issue but had forgotten about that particular scene. still strikes me as a stretch but I guess it's not totally out of nowhere

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Wanderer posted:

I could swear there was another issue at some point that further established Prodigy/Speed.

apparently there have been "Thinkfast" shippers for a while but idk what it's based on besides a few scenes in the Gillen/McKelvie run

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

JMS and Loeb pitched World War Hulk as the big 2006 Marvel crossover event, but it was way more basic "Hulk gets shot into space, takes over all of space off-panel, and comes back with an invading force of a million Hulks! The Fantastic Four fight Skrull Hulks! The X-Men fight Shi'ar Hulks! Thor fights Saturn Men Hulks! Daredevil fights... flips through OHOTMUDE appendix Rigellian Hulks!

A bunch of people were not enthused for this story and Millar/Bendis counter-pitched Civil War, which is obviously what they went with. JMS passive aggressively bitched about Civil War in all of his tie-in books, and Planet/World War Hulk rolled downhill to Greg Pak, who had basically just written some fill-ins and mini-series prior to the assignment. If it wasn't going to be the event of the year, Loeb wasn't interested in it.

Once World War Hulk was a big hit, Loeb remembered how he'd wanted to do Hulk after all, and obviously his run was a murder mystery with a ton of big name guest stars, because that's mostly what Loeb writes.

huh, I don't recall this. what I recall hearing was that the originally planned crossover for 2006 was "superheroes vs. SHIELD" and that Millar didn't like the idea and turned it into Civil War through several editorial meetings

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FoneBone posted:

i'm in, very happy to see Gillen returning to the Marvel Universe for the first time in... 5 years? his last was the Secret Wars: Siege mini, right?

aside from a one-page Loki story in Marvel Comics #1000, I believe so, yes. very excited for this

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, he was cagey when asked about it from what I recall. It's entirely possible that he, like unfortunately a lot of people, didn't read Future Foundation.

what does Future Foundation have to do with Squirrel Girl and one of her supporting characters? I don't recall either of them appearing in that book

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

They didnt, but Julie and Rikki got together in FF and due to North's previous handling of Doreen and Nancy and the fact that his power pack was announced when FF and Julie/Rikkis story hadn't even been a thing yet I doubt Rikki will show up

ah, got it, thanks.

btw, interesting that there's a dark-skinned female Makkari design in that Eternals promo video. Yeah, film synergy and all, but I'm very curious to see where Gillen goes with this.

fyi, here's what he says about it in his newsletter today

Kieron Gillen posted:

It’s been a while. I just checked, and by the time Eternals 1 drops, it’ll be over five years since I took lead on a Marvel Superhero book (Siege, during Secret Wars, for the records). I took a break. I was burned out and wanted to do other stuff, mainly my own. What lured me back?

Partially as it has been five years. I’m not burned out any more. Planting clover for a while your superhero bit of your brain works. Plus, I’ve kind of been missing it a bit. Seeing old peers and people who came after me tear things up is a delight, and you do get an itch to get involved.

Secondly, and most importantly, it’s always the chance to do something different, something I haven’t done yet. As in, taking a set of characters who’ve been a way for a while, deconstructing their engine apart, and re-assembling it and unleashing it.

Thirdly, Esad Ribic. I’d said yes before Esad jumped aboard, but my yes changed to YES! the second he did. I expect some YES! yelping from you lot when you see more. It goes without saying it’s good to be working with Matt again, and he and Esad are just magical together. Clayton has yet to escape me, but I’m especially interested to see what he does with the lettering challenge of the book.

Clearly, there’s going to be a lot more chat about Eternals down the line. Here’s the quote I gave for the press-release…

"I said if I was ever to do a book again at Marvel, it would have to be something I've never done before. This is exactly that. This is me teaming up with literally my favourite artist of the epic, taking one of those lightning-storm Kirby visions and re-making it to be as new as the day it was forged,” Gillen said. “While Esad makes whole worlds on the page, I'm applying all the skills I've developed when I was away. It's a lot. It's everything. There's enough scale packed in here that I believe that when you look at the comic, you'll see the pages slightly bulge. Essentially 'Eternal' has to mean 'never going out of style,' which means we're aiming for 'instant classic.' Also -- fight scenes, horror, human drama, emotions, explosions. Comics!"

…which has me laughing at myself. People always ask me for quotes at the end of the day when my brain is fried and my resistance to my own nonsense is low.

Key facts: it’s a clean, accessible book. It’s set in the Marvel universe, and will impact it hard, but it’s also designed to be picked up by anyone and enjoyed. Plus it’s very much me trying to bring to bear the skillset I’ve developed when I’ve been away (especially from WicDiv and DIE) and a whole bunch of other things I’ve been chewing over, in terms of things one could do.

Suffice to say, a huge bible document is involved, as I can’t help myself. In this case, I really can’t. One of my things I’ve tried to be doing more with my work is to do the stuff only I would consider doing, and there’s a lot of that here. Issue 3 has something so offkilter I’m even giving myself side-eye.

I think you’ll like this. Out November. Speak to you retailer. More press soon.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gillen also mentions further on in the newsletter that he's doing some kind of historical research for Eternals #4. hope we get lots of flashbacks throughout the run

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Charles Soule had the Supreme Court make it legal for vigilantes to give testimony in court without removing their masks

Both Civil Wars have basically the same idea at their core (those being "maybe these superhumans should operate with some level of oversight" for 1 and "actually an early-warning system is a good idea when the world nearly ends every other week" for 2) and both go south because the status quo needs to be upheld and so a bunch of heroes get real stupid and use take those good ideas and warp them into justifications to start being fascists.

Civil War II was bad in a bunch of ways, but I still prefer it to the original in that Bendis at least attempted to follow through on the ramifications of using precognition to predict crimes and crises, even in an extremely stupid and hamfisted way. Civil War I, on the other hand, had absolutely no interest in the idea of superhero registration except as a pretext for a Good Superheroes vs. Bad Superheroes conflict; basically nothing of consequence that happens after the first issue or so happens as a logical consequence of registration, as opposed to the arbitrary villainy of the pro-registration side, and that's before you get into the godawful ending that suddenly expects readers to buy that the side written as unambiguous villains for most of the event was right all along.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Cartridgeblowers posted:

What was the Rocket/Groot epilogue in Guardians this week referencing?

the Fortnite crossover. yes, really

so is this another attempt to introduce Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie into comics continuity? (I say "another" because there was previously the one in Exiles that was visually modeled after her, though she wasn't written much of anything like the MCU character)

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 21, 2020

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

This bugged me with Juggernaut this week. Xavier says Krakoa is for mutants only so Cain isn't welcome. But there are humans there for sure, and relatives are welcome there.

that's actually a notable inconsistency in the Krakoa worldbuilding; tbh. most of the DoX books hadn't (and still haven't) suggested that humans are normally allowed on Krakoa until a couple months ago, but X-Factor has Northstar's human husband living on the island like it's no big deal. The X of Swords handbook's Krakoa entry even mentions that a special exemption was made for him to explain it away.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

they already did this a decade and a half ago

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

KaosMachina posted:

On the one hand, KiB is fun. Like, it feels like the goal is "Make a big fun punch-em-up with Venom as the focal character", and... sure, okay, I'm down for that.
On the other hand this is WWE-tier storytelling on display on top of glaring continuity errors.

what are the glaring continuity errors?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

nm

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

KaosMachina posted:

Sentry should be red, but I guess they thought that whole plotline wasn't particularly important?
And they have the wrong Cable when the X-Men show up, too.
I feel like there's another one I've forgotten (I haven't slept much) and I may have oversold it, but these seem like things you'd pick up
Then again... gestures vaguely at Hazmat

edit: also, given how the entire page is a reference to Seige and there's a new euro-team I wonder if we're gonna get Ares

I just assumed that Sentry merging with Void had been undone in some other comic I hadn't read, but maybe it wasn't

this may also just be me, but I found the visual storytelling on the Knull/Sentry splash to be unclear. couldn't tell at first if he was meant to be tearing Void off as though it were a symbiote or ripping Sentry apart a la Ares