Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I cannot believe how quickly the thread was resurrected after it died. Just cheapens the whole idea of threads being closed when readers know the threads will be brought back right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Real talk, I've put off reading current Marvel for so long because with Marvel Unlimited and a few trades that I have yet to read I wanted to get caught up on pre-Secret Wars first. But I finally admitted to myself that catching up on all the pre- stuff I want to read and then also the post-stuff simply to catch up is really never going to happen. I didn't want to skip ahead for silly completionist reasons, but if for most of my life reading comics meant having to constantly fill in the blanks of what came before then I can do that again. And I had been reading Coates' Black Panther run so really I was being inconsistent anyway.

So I just said gently caress it and started reading Zdarsky's Marvel 2-in-1 a couple days ago. And it was great! Screw waiting to get to the good stuff.

I hear the most current run of Doctor Strange is awesome?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wow. Ditko. The past couple years I've been expecting Lee to go and didn't think about how Ditko must also be getting on in his years.

Spider-Man has meant a lot to me, but it's weird to think that if I had ever expressed that to him (Ditko, not Spider-Man) he wouldn't have given a crap.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mary Jane is a rich and famous supermodel at the start of the run and Peter was employed in this high-tech R&D company with other geniuses, but they were keen on making Peter poor and single again, so Peter loses his job, MJ is seemingly killed when her stalker blows up her plane, then her agent absconds with all their money, so Aunt May moves back into her old house in Queens, Peter is evicted from his penthouse and ends up sleeping rough (where his costume and webshooters are stolen by a passerby and eventually sold to Jameson) until Robbie Robertson arranges for him to move into a swinging bachelor pad with his son, Randy.

Right at the end of your summary is where I dropped out of comics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

You mean you missed the part where Obsorn uses drugged toothpaste to compel Peter to have dreams where he's the Green Goblin?!

Yeah after MJ "dies" there's just a big Reel Missing sign in my memory until... JMS?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Was MJ's plane death presented as an obvious red herring, something fishy going on for a couple months or was it a complety bizarre way to shelf a character? I read the issue where she comes back but no idea when she died.

Guess it depends on how familiar a reader is with the whole notion of "no body". We didn't see her actually die or ever see her dead body so it was suspicious to me. And while it may not have been bizarre for any character, for someone so high-profile it was definitely weird.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JordanKai posted:

Cyclops unlocks his new power: shooting lasers out of his peen.

For a guy named Cyclops it's a long time coming.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Marvel 2099 - A Fresh Start IDW Takin' Our Jobs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

The followup on how jj is gonna work is kinda interesting

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1019590740416950272?s=19

I know the brick & mortar stores always get brought up in discussions of changing the distribution model but each of these three points is something I've wanted for comics in general for quite a while. Each piece of the story is larger, the collected trade can come out faster, and there's time out between "stories" so that readers can use the same amount of time and dollars to read something else while they wait.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine must be a nice, quaint show for them set in a universe where nothing weird or wild happens.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Daughters of the Dragon, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist are all following the same double size digital issues then trades model as Jessica Jones. I really hope this model catches fire.

Meant to appeal to the Netflix watchers?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

The amount of Spider-Man books coming out in October is insane. Like, more spidey u books than the the rest of whats being put out combined it feels like. The redesign of spiderlings costume on the spider-girls variant specifically so you can see the cleavage of a teenage girl is pretty gross too

pubic works project posted:

Infinity Wars looks loving confusing to me.

I generally don't look through solicits so it was kinda shocking how front-loaded it was just with alternate versions of heroes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does that mean when Peter had the symbiote he was Parker, the Necro-Spider?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

I was going back and looking at some older stuff in my Comixology library and opened up the first Marvel Point One issue that came out a little while before Avengers vs X-Men and found something really interesting. The framing story is about two people sneaking into the Watcher's place on the moon and trying to view his secrets while he's in a sleep like state. They talk about how their boss sent them there and with the data collected he will be able to take out the Watcher and get all his secrets. They even refer to their boss as The Unseen. This came out in 2011 and Original Sin was still several years off at this point. I had no idea they set that story up so far in advance.

Did anyone remember that, though?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kraven isn't wacky. He's a very self-serious aristocrat who jumps around rooftops in flats, animal print tights, and a bifurcated lion's face as a vest over top a bare chest while making murderous threats to a teenager who gets the best of him every time.

It's important that he be treated with the proper respect.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, but you can have that and also have Kraven's Last Hunt.

You're right, I should have said "...a teenager who gets the best of him every time except for once when he dressed up as and pretended to be the teenager and then killed himself."

Seriously though, there is room for Kraven to be both. Spider-Man's villains, simply by virtue of being Spider-Man villains, are prime targets to be taken down a peg but we should just let readers appreciate the tones and styles of different books and stories because a character can go from serious to silly and back again (or the reverse). Shocker's a good example. I like serious, dangerous Kraven and Shocker. And I like funny Kraven and Shocker. I'm also reading Howard the Duck and Spider-Man is presented as a hilariously broken, sobbing do-nothing but those stores don't take away from him being Marvel's premier superhero elsewhere, like in Spectacular Spider-Man written by the same author!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

God the cover art and costume design is atrocious

Even Carrion has more meat on his bones.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The costume kinda makes him look like he's in Magneto's crew.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Why do people keep saying Magneto's Team? X-Men Black isn't a team. It's a series of one shots about villains of which the first issue is about Magneto.

I have no idea what's going on with the teams or Magneto. I just thought the costume design was reminiscent of Magneto.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pitwar posted:

I still don't really get the point of the hot claws. It's not like the standard adamantium claws aren't deadly enough. Seems like putting a hat on a hat.

It's so we can get cool panels of him out in the cold with steam rising from the claws.

Or to lower the amount of blood in his comics since all the wounds he inflicts are instantly cauterized.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I can't wait for them to rebrand Sabertooth as Lightsabertooth!

Creed, are you making that electric hum?
Ith muh teeth, they may'h that thound when I o'en muh mouth

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

That was brought up too. Like uuuuh whats going on there?

I have some issues with the geography in Life of Captain Marvel. The Somewhere in Canada looks a hell of a lot like the west, so Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. Blue lady steals a boat to go to Maine, which is closest to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and the boats seen there are very clearly east coast fishing boats. Driving across most of Canada in a lovely pickup would take months, and its clear that this issue happens fairly soon.

If it's not America then just expect a mish-mash of notable scenery and favourite stereotypes. Mounties earn their stripes by making the one-week horseback trip from the CN Tower to the Rockies where they climb to the top to be anointed by the Prime Minister using beer from the Stanley Cup.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

Gothic eyeliner Cannonball is pretty hilarious. Also, because his eyebrows are drawn in the exact same shade and texture as his eyeliner, it looks as though he's naturally hairless and painted them on. What's going on with you, Sam?

Maybe he was born with it.
Maybe it's the X-gene.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If more people speak up and speak out maybe things will change.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blockhouse posted:

yeah Hobgoblin and Doctor Octopus were basically been the #1 Spider-Man archnemesis during that whole gap

Green Goblin looms large in hindsight because of the death of Gwen but in the stories before that it seemed that Ock was treated with more reverence and fear. Norman was important to Peter as a villain because of the secret identity issues and because of Harry but I always got the sense that Ock was the more dangerous foe. Norman had the big girlfriend killing moment but then of course also immediately died afterwards.

It wasn't until Hobgoblin where I'd say it was the first time Ock stopped being #1. And then in the years after that you have Harry as Goblin, Venom, and Norman's return.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's relatively easy to manage the secrecy of a comic book plot point. Movie plots still remain pretty secret and parts of movies are often filmed out in the open, involve thousands of people, and need the plots literally written and printed out as physical copies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

So I know it might be annoying how I use this thread as a running plug for stuff I have coming out and I'm sorry, but I have a backup in Superior Octopus #1 tomorrow drawn by Mark fuckin' Bagley!!!!

This is the kind of thing that should be advertised on the cover.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I mostly liked Superior Spider-Man except for how it shits on Peter. It didn't seem like it went on for too long for me but that's because I read through it all after it had finished.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

I've always loved that Ock has his own superhero battle cry. It's a good one too, I mean if it's good enough for Caesar it's good enough for Ock.

And the real Octavius was a Caesar.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He ruled as an ottoautocrat and as Caesar was in many ways superior to Julius.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does Ghost Rider need a helmet so that he can get oxygen or so that his skull fire can get oxygen?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Garbage. C'mon.
I'm very much looking forward to the next ish with a promised fight featuring everyone who's ever been an FF member.

Is it called Fantastic-Verse?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

For the MCU I kind of like the idea I read somewhere else of they went up into space about 10 years ago in the MCU Timeline and disappeared. They finally return home after being across several dimensions like the Negative Zone and Microverse and have had their powers for years at this point so it's already a fully formed team used to their abilities.

"You're saying I can't call Sue "Woman" anymore? Can't tell her to get back in the kitchen?!"
"Reed, you disappeared from 2008. Not the Sixties."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Archyduke posted:

One way or another, I found myself wondering how the conversation would go when it came out that every Stark employee's new partner was homeless, unemployed, and had no friends or family, unless the robots also had fake homes, and fake jobes, and pretended to all know each other.

"You never once asked her about her friends, family, what she does for a living, anything?"
"I uhhh, well... look. She was hot and she was into all the same anime as me. Didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, y'know?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You don't need a multi-verse full of other Spider-Men if it's just Morlun by himself so an entire Morlun Squad had to be created.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Some of those are more impressive than others. Wolverine/Emma seemed especially lame because it was just Patch with white hair.

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of what Wolverine crossed with Emma would be is Dr. Frank-N-Furter but in white and with claws.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I prefer to think that I've just been out of the loop and that winged horse Cap is riding is just a thing that's part of the character now and has nothing to do with War of the Realms.

He's got wings on his head, why not wings on his horse?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Spidey's like right next to the logo, though, that makes him unmissable

The Unmissable Spider-Man

X-O posted:

The X-Men have their own stuff going on.

Whenever there's a big event the X-Men aren't a part of I imagine someone like Iron Man or Cap going over to the mansion to ask for help but they just turn around and go home cuz it's like that Community GIF of Donald Glover walking into a room of complete calamity. Four different Cyclops' are duking it out, there's a time vortex roiling untended in the foyer, children are doing aerial donuts with the Blackbird, half the school are phasing in and out of existence, someone's screams of pyschic rage keep going off like a fire alarm, the rest of the school are fighting Sentinels that are pouring out of the Danger Room and Sinister is there just creepily chuckling to himself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

She's only getting her first issue now? I feel like I first heard it was coming and saw the cover art a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edge & Christian posted:

Full list so far:
Who Really Gave the Fantastic Four Their Powers
Who Brought Spider-Man Back After "Spider-Man No More"
Who Found Captain America On Ice Before the Avengers
Who Saved Jean Grey from Dark Phoenix

The Stonecutters?