Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
For their professionalism, their sacrifice, and their courage in slaughtering each other and being randomly slaughtered? Can I get a like a fave a retweet or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

those guys are the real heroes of the story...

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The real heroes are the US soldiers that ground their bones to dust against the Vietcong war machine.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
bleem blong

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Thasnk you lady NHU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
one people from Saigon to Hanoi, OP

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jigglesby posted:

Thasnk you lady NHU

would x4

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
The world already recognizes the Vietnamese forces exemplary courage and sacrifice OP

I'm sure the american dogs are likewise remembered and honored by their Wall Street paymasters

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Thank you for Battlefield: Vietnam, the best FPS game ever. And thank the Vietnamese people for transitioning from a people's democracy into just another third-world plantation state making sneakers for rich fat capitalists.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Well done, everyone! That was a great war!

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Bao Dai be like "it's all very sad, now let me see them tiddies"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

The world already recognizes the Vietnamese forces exemplary courage and sacrifice OP

I'm sure the american dogs are likewise remembered and honored by their Wall Street paymasters

Well the american elite got to get a free pass out of the war while everybody else got to have their legs blown off by land mines so I wouldn't say it's too evil to give them a shout out. The pilots who dumped napalm on villages are not so much heroes in my opinion

But I shout out the NVA and Viet Cong as well as their Russian advisors who helped keep the air war a stalemate for a few years

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Glad to see OP is still around making some fairly good woke-style posts...

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

shoutout to the south vietnamese generals who made the game a fair match by disposing a relatively functional autocratic government and replacing it with dozens of unfunctional autocratic governments to give the VC a fair fight. We were blessed to see this level of sportsmanship!

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Shoutout to all the women of Vietnam.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dejan Bimble posted:

Well the american elite got to get a free pass out of the war while everybody else got to have their legs blown off by land mines so I wouldn't say it's too evil to give them a shout out. The pilots who dumped napalm on villages are not so much heroes in my opinion

But I shout out the NVA and Viet Cong as well as their Russian advisors who helped keep the air war a stalemate for a few years

john mccain was the son of an admiral and he kept loving up and crashing planes and getting away with it and one time he crashed a plane and got tortured by the VC so imo the war was a success

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
The Ken Burns Nam doc is some good poo poo

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hey OP I feel like you're forgetting the fine, brave young men of France who gave everything for a chance to serve their country by sitting in a valley getting owned by artillery fire for weeks

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Thanka for ousting the khmer rouge, vietnam

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ferroque posted:

Thanka for ousting the khmer rouge, vietnam
voulez vous coucher etc etc

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stark Fist posted:

The Ken Burns Nam doc is some good poo poo

I just started watching that. The Vietnamese people put up with a lot of poo poo for a long time.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i thank the french for bringing everybody together

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Same but x5

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the reason we got loving wrecked in the tet offensive is that the vietcong performed an impossible feat of military logistics which is of immense historical and military significance

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

the reason we got loving wrecked in the tet offensive is that the vietcong performed an impossible feat of military logistics which is of immense historical and military significance

They actually gave a poo poo

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BONE DOG posted:

The home team usually does.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Don't forget the brave men who began throwing grenades at their own officers and contributed to a near total breakdown in discipline that forced their masters to stop conscripting people and pull out of the war.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Forrest Gump got shot in the butt lol

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poverty goat posted:

quote:

Vơ Nguyên Giáp is considered one of the greatest military strategists of the 20th century.[1] He first grew to prominence during World War II, where he served as the military leader of the Viet Minh resistance against the Japanese occupation of Vietnam. Giáp was a crucial military commander in two wars: the First Indochina War (1946–54) and the Vietnam War (1955–75), participating in several historically significant battles: Lạng Sơn (1950), Ḥa B́nh (1951–52), Điện Biên Phủ (1954), the Tết Offensive (1968), the Easter Offensive (1972), and the final Ho Chi Minh Campaign (1975).

but also

BONE DOG posted:

Vơ Nguyên Giáp posted:

The Democratic Republic of Viet Nam was born, the first people's democracy in South-east Asia. But the imperialists intended to nip the republican regime in the bud and once again transform Viet Nam into a colony. Three weeks had hardly gone by when, on September 23rd, 1945, the French Expeditionary Corps opened fire in Saigon. The whole was to be carried on for nine years at the cost of unprecedented heroism and amidst unimaginable difficulties, to end by the shining victory of our people and the crushing defeat of the aggressive imperialists at Dien Bien Phu. ... Never before had there been so many foreign troops on the soil of Viet Nam. But never before either, had the Vietnamese people been so determined to rise up in combat to defend their country.

Bonus lol

MLK Jr posted:

They must see Americans as strange liberators. The Vietnamese people proclaimed their own independence in 1945 after a combined French and Japanese occupation, and before the Communist revolution in China. They were led by Ho Chi Minh. Even though they quoted the American Declaration of Independence in their own document of freedom, we refused to recognize them. Instead, we decided to support France in its reconquest of her former colony.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 30, 2018

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

poverty goat posted:

I thought the tet offensive was a military victory for the good guys (us) but ultimately dashed our resolve to continue fighting

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Forrest Rump

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Irom posted:

I thought the tet offensive was a military victory for the good guys (us) but ultimately dashed our resolve to continue fighting

The north Vietnamese were huffing their own farts and imagined the general population would rise up and join them.

This obviously didn't happen. Most civilians do not want to participate in a war ever.

This kinda hosed with their plans. Had they just planned with what they had available instead of very dumbly assuming south Vietnamese farmers were remotely interested in fighting Americans they might've pulled off doing a lot more lol

But yeah, the Americans "won" but the attack on the American embassy where live cameras happened to be probably completelysapped the public's will to keep liberating vietnam

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

basic hitler posted:

The north Vietnamese were huffing their own farts and imagined the general population would rise up and join them.

This obviously didn't happen. Most civilians do not want to participate in a war ever.

This kinda hosed with their plans. Had they just planned with what they had available instead of very dumbly assuming south Vietnamese farmers were remotely interested in fighting Americans they might've pulled off doing a lot more lol

But yeah, the Americans "won" but the attack on the American embassy where live cameras happened to be probably completelysapped the public's will to keep liberating vietnam

Insane revisionism lol

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm mostly summarizing the Ken burns thing so what's the truth

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

COMRADES posted:

Insane revisionism lol

Yeah that's some funny poo poo

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well, to start with, the Tet Offensive had less to do with cameras at the US embassy and a general "oh gently caress how do they still have this many people willing to fight? we need to start mobilizing reserves..." moment of clarity in the US command structure. The general in command of the theater requested another 200,000 soldiers for a counteroffensive and then even the warhawks started going "you know what gently caress this actually."

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 30, 2018

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

You used the term both in your thread title but listed three groups of people, both implies two specifically, just thought you should be aware.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Play Rising Storm 2 and get PTSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Sure was the end of Westmoreland

• Locked thread