Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Marvak's Orrery

In The Light Of The Orrery posted:

Behind you, the Orrery ticks in perfect tune - tracking the motion of every molecule in the universe, outlined in weak copper orange light. When you blink it is always a new scene. Stars, rubble, or atoms zipping between one another. The tape computers in the room hum and spin their spools, punchcards jump back and forth as their programs run.

Cat - Today at 1:49 PM
Cat regards it with...curiosity, following the Orrery's movement moreso than showing any understanding of the actual device. He seems unphased by the carnage of the Crash, or at least seems to be. Parts of his fur coat are ragged in places.

VOTH - Today at 1:54 PM
VOTH gazed upon the scene, form stoic, unmoving. He did not look directly at any divinity, as he spoke, voice imperious though strangely muted. "WELCOME", he spoke, "To the GRAND ORRERY, the home and sanctum of MARVAK THE ARBITRATOR, she who stood upon the PILLAR OF LAW. A former member of THE THREE PILLARS. No longer. But recognize that only be her VIGILANCE do we continue too persist."

"Offer your GRATITUDE."(edited)
VOTH lowered his head in silence.

Siderous - Today at 1:56 PM
Siderous has conformed himself into a humanoid shape to fit into this place, following the distress signal and ticking clocks. He glows in a rainbow of greens, reds and blues - a nebula formed into a man, drifting through the halls with eyes glowing yellow and casting light around. Next to him is a crystalline being, a humanoid that shifts and shimmers with heat and potential, the face seeming to be a billion faces all at once. A Gestalt of a whole species, a reincarnation cycle that collapsed in the moment into something akin to a neutron star. They both listen to VOTH speak, bowing there heads together for a moment, before speaking himself.
"I am Siderous, the Star-Heart. Member of the United Senate of Solar Divinities. What has happened? Do you know?"

Cat - Today at 2:00 PM
Cat hopped up onto the desk, nosed Marvak's corpse, then hopped back down onto the ground. The perspective was a little strange - he seemed to be housecat sized one moment, then as tall as a man (or god) the next, whichever was more convenient. "There was a loud noise and then everything broke."

VOTH - Today at 2:02 PM
VOTH, too, kept his silence for a moment, before responding. "HAIL, Siderous the STAR-HEART. Your works, your contributions to CREATION were known to THE THREE PILLARS."

"I am VOTH, he who was formerly the EDUCATOR, he who formerly stood upon the PILLAR OF JUSTICE. Then, one of THREE. Now, ALONE."

"As for what has transpired", VOTH looked around, "Some entity has INVADED this most holy of SANCTUMS. The PILLARS lie in shatters except for the few my LATE SISTER had managed to save. Clear signs of ASSAULT. Destroyed REFLECTIONS and stolen COLORS."

"As for the CAUSE. I do not KNOW."(edited)

Virric - Today at 2:03 PM
The Microcosm of Genesis Status changes from "OFFLINE" to "TO BE SORRY". The mint-green words drip and crawl down the damaged display.

VOTH - Today at 2:05 PM
VOTH placed a hand upon the consoles as he gazed upon the dials. His face was hidden, but his scorn was not. "CORRUPTION", he merely stated.

Siderous - Today at 2:10 PM
The nebula seemed to flair in surprised recognition, bowing deeply, "Voth the Educator, your wisdom was well known to the United Stars. Please, I beseech you - the suns of the universe are going out, leaving reality in Darkness. How can this be prevented?"

VOTH - Today at 2:18 PM
VOTH turned to face Siderious, listening to his words but raising a hand in a gentle rebuff. "Your respect for PROPRIETY is noted and APPRECIATED, Siderous the STAR-HEART. But the PILLARS lie in shatters. THE THREE PILLARS are now naught but ONE. ONE greatly WEAKENED. ONE upon whose shoulders all of ORDER sits akin to a great WEIGHT. Thus am I VOTH THE EDUCATOR no longer. Merely VOTH am I now. And so shall I be until THE THREE PILLARS stand AGAIN."

"As for your question", VOTH scanned the various dials again, "I can FEEL the LAW and STRUCTURE of what remains of CREATION, faintly though it may be. The FUNDAMENTAL INTERACTIONS fray. MATTER questions itself. As does SPACE. Only TIME, and ENTROPY its firstborn child, yet stand. Without these, STARS cannot hold themselves by their own power. And though I maybe able to fix them in TIME, TIME indeed it shall take. Too long for them to live", he turned towards Siderous, " THEN, as their KIN, it would likely be you who must keep them alive until CREATION can support them again, o Siderous the STAR-HEART."(edited)
VOTH crossed his hands behind his back, and gazed into the strange void beyond the windows. "And the deeper I GAZE, so too does the DERELICTION of REALITY deepen as well. Only by the power of the ORRERY do TIME, ENTROPY, CAUSALITY and the last drips of UNIVERSAL STRUCTURE hold in our vicinity."

"Outside I see NAUGHT but CHAOS."

He turned back towards Siderous, a grim aura upon him like a cloak, "And the CHAOS encroaches. We must move with HASTE. And even THEN, we may not save EVERYTHING."

Siderous - Today at 2:31 PM
He listens slowly, a moment stretching out to an infinity as he realizes the depths to which the universe had fallen. Him? The heretic? It takes time to process, but the nebula seems to expand and contract in a breath, "Very well, Voth. I... Will try. I will bring as many of them here as I can. The realm seems most stable around this Orrery."

Siderous steps out of the ruined structure, gazing up at the sky. A sky that had once been filled with friends, and family. Rivals, and allies. Now filled with naught. He reaches up to the heavens, searching - finding. Not all were gone. A few... And perhaps...

He gives out a sigh and floats upward, his form expanding suddenly in a flash as his humanoid shape is abandoned for an amorphous nebula, expanding out in space in all directions, glowing with an internal light. He knew that he didn't have much time - the ticking of the clocks in his head reminding him all too well of what was left in the universe. But it was not the ticking of the clocks that made him work with haste. He could hear them - hear the last cries of his peers as they struggled against the encroaching Chaos that the universe had become. At first one. Then two. Then many more.

He reaches deep into himself, gathering up the stardust that made up his form. He heard the cry of concern from Starkin, his gestalt children, but ignored it. There was no one else. No over-gods to save the day, just him. The pain of his loss was excruciating, a cry of pain muted by the lack of reality around them. A stream of gas and dust gathered in front of him, coiling and compressing over and over, thinner and thinner, until finally it seemed like the mass disappeared altogether as he formed it into a Defect.

The ritual began. A loop of Cosmic String formed, bending space and time around it as it waved to and fro in a nonexistent stellar wind. A topological flaw, a bit of spacetime that should not have been - indeed such a thing was nearly unheard of in the Universe. But there was no universe anymore. Just this bounded island of reality in a sea of lightless vacuum.

Siderous felt his essence bleeding out from the wounds he had inflicted on himself, but again waved away Starkin. His glowing eyes searched the cosmos with hope against hope - there.

She had survived.

As he lifted his new artifact into the air, he tried to rationalize. The exotic stars were more stable by nature. Bringing them here would be enough to save many of them from the unreality, at least long enough to treat whatever injuries they had. Bringing a member of the Sequence here, it might not have saved them.

Or maybe it would have.

He began to twirl the loop of cosmic string in the air, making it stretch out into the cosmos in an ever-tightening spiral coil. At the center of the coil space began to distort and warp, collapsing in on itself - bridging the distance of a galaxy away.

She was there, he could see her through the loops of compressed space - to mortal eyes, it was a neutron star. Cold now, the surface hardened and cracked, spinning listlessly through space as he brought his old friend through the coils and to the Orrery, where reality might reimpose itself. Finally, Siderous turned to Starkin.

"Help Vela. I'm going to bring as many here as I can - save them, whoever you can."

OOC - I'm going to use Immaculate Designer to form the Cosmic Lasso to help to wrangle as many of the surviving stars here as possible, starting with the Exotic stars: white dwarves, neutron stars and other remnants. They should be in the least danger of spontaneous explosion once they are out of Unreality. Rather, starting with Vela the Pulsar, Siderous' best friend from the time before the Crash. After that the rest of the priority will be:

1. Divine Stars
2. Divine Stars that seem like they can be saved.
3. Divine Stars that are unlikely to be saved.
4. Regular Stars that seem like they can be saved.
5. Regular Stars that are unlikely to be saved.

Action 1: Immaculate Designer to take a Level 2 Liver Injury, sacrificing part of myself to form the Cosmic Lasso.

Action 2: Use Gravity +2 and the Cosmic Lasso to retrieve Vela, then as many other divine stars as possible, and if I have any time left over begin rescuing regular stars. I will Push here as well for an extra dice.

Cohort Action: Use Gravity +2 to try and do stellar triage on the stars that come in, try to save as many as possible. Spin up the neutron stars, try to extract the heavy elements from the core of the regular stars, that sort of thing. If nothing else try to increase the gravity in the mantle of stars to make fusion happen there so they stay up and don't collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous

Nothing else exists in the universe except his task. Memories flash through his mind as he calls for his children-made-child, Starkin. He stretches himself across the realm, assuming the guise of a full nebula enveloping the "star ward."

"Help me, Starkin. We must buy more time. I will seal this place as best I can - we must cool them down. Lower gravity in this ward, and I will dim the power of light. Then I will attempt to remove the impurities of a billion years of life lost for our kin."

As reality warps inside this zone, Siderous will reach a ghostly hand down into the ward, then another, and another - it was a desperate act, for a desperate time. He weaves waves of gravity itself, reaching into the heart of these dying stars. He will attempt to pluck out the heavy elements at the heart of his kin, and pull them out. He will try to leave them with cores of light hydrogen, the heart of a young and vibrant star.

He looks up at the sky momentarily. Once, there were trillions upon trillions of his kin. The sky glowed.

Now there was a scarce hundred.

OOC - Siderous, M.D.

Action 1: Use Light +2 to lower C, the speed of light, at a proportional level to a decrease that Starkin is going to do. Basically Siderous is going to turn down the stellar-pressure that is holding up these stars at the same time that Starkin will decrease gravity in the same area, hopefully slowing down their natural processes without causing them to explode/collapse. I will be Pushing for another dice.

Cohort Action: Starkin will use Gravity +2 to turn down G in the "star ward," while Siderous lowers C, in combination slowing down the natural rate of fusion in the core to give more time for the next action.

Action 2: Use Gravity +2 to try and carefully pull the heavy-elements from the cores of the dying stars, leaving them with young and vibrant hydrogen cores once more. I will also be Pushing for another dice here. I am at a total of 6 Hubris.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous

Siderous gives out a sigh of relief as the task is done, the intense focus of his being expanding outward as he begins to relax slightly. The immediate danger was over, but there was still work. Always work. The Universe was ending. There was more to be done.

He looks around at the wreckage of the Orrery and where it was shattered. He breaths, and the "Star Ward" begins to shift and move. Gravity begins to shift, warping space and bringing the wreckage together in quiet harmony. Pieces begin to fit themselves back to the shattered Orrery, not to return it to its former glory - but instead to build something new, something necessary. Around, the 108 stars of the New Universe will orbit in a complex dance, silent sentries orbiting the last remnant of the reality that was. At the center of their orbit will be the new addition, a clockwork construction that seems to collect the light and energy of the surrounding stars.

Light was warmth. Light was life. And as he works he creates a hospital, a place of divine healing for himself and his peers to help in the battles ahead. Concentrating the healing light of all the true stars left in the Universe. Out of respect for the former master of this place, Siderous makes sure the orbits are precise, complicating - a celestial clockwork of precise timing and stellar perfection. The outer walls are golden metal, but also seem cloudlike when you aren't looking straight at them. Inside the hospital is warm, reality itself seeming like a fuzzy blanket wrapping itself around those inside.

Siderous first places Starkin there, letting the healing light suffuse them. He orders them to rest. They protest, but he insists.

He is still a nebula. A vast, mercurial thing. He looks out at the cold darkness of the Universe. He knows this cannot be allowed. There would need to be stars again. Many more - enough to light up the whole sky.

His vast form sees the distant city of Oximil and the endless dust whipped by its wind. He knows what he will do. However, it would require more effort. More sacrifice. The Potential - the remnants of soulstuff from his kin. He says a prayer.

"Dust we were. Dust we are. Dust we will be.
From the brightest star, the to darkest hearts.
And though you are gone, it is not the end.
We will meet again, when the cycle starts.
"

As he whispers his words over the ambrosia, he sends part of himself with it. He feels the breath leave him, more and more. In the darkness a shape begins to form, a twisting spire. He tries to make the foundations of another temple, something to create a new nebula - the first of many. Taking the dust of this land of regrets, and turning it into a new source of light and warmth in the universe. He feels the divine connections forming, the metaphysical matrix and stellar mechanics snapping together as he goes to his work.

He overreaches.

The nebula convulses, a cough - he tries to finish the process, but can't. The temple stands half-completed. The materials unassembled. He tries to continue, but cannot. He has nothing more to give. His vision blurs slightly. He naturally drifts back toward the Divina Hospitium, settling next to it. Inside one of the rooms, a special permanent addition - he can see Vela. Wounded, but stable. Kept so by the constant stream of healing light from the drifting stars.

"It's just us, now. They're all gone. Not just the stars, either. Of the Pillars, only one remains. There are a scant handful of other survivors. Why us? We were not the greatest, the wisest or the most powerful. Not all of us, anyway. I..." the nebula stills. It slowly contracts in on itself, "I don't even know if you can hear me."

Action 1: Using Immaculate Designer and the Remnants of the Orrery to create the Divina Hospitium, the hospital for the gods as part of the Orrery iteslf.

Action 2: I will use Immaculate Designer to take a Level 2 Lung Injury and spend my 2 Ambrosia to begin the material gathering process to construct a Temple of Dust on Oximil, with the intent of using it to generate nebula/star creation areas.

Corhort Action: Starkin will utilize the Divina Hospitium to reduce their Stomach Injury to level 1

Hubris: 6
+2 Stellar Wrangling
+2 Turning down C
+2 Star heart surgery

Injuries [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
---Level 2 Liver Injury (Immaculate Designer)
---Level 2 Lung Injury (Immaculate Designer)

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [0]
---The Cosmic Lasso: Assists in moving objects across great distances in non-combat situations.
---Divina Hospitium [Used]: User can spend 1 action to reduce their injuries by one level. It must
recharge for a full turn before it can be used again. If a PC doesn't take an injury during a turn they
get 1 segment of their healing clock filled from hereon out.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Divina Hospitium

They talked, in the natural way. The vulgar words of the smaller beings were difficult for Vela to articulate in her condition, and there seemed to be a small bit of time without any immediate disaster to pull him away. To the outside it looks like they were unmoving, unwavering. Two glowing beings of light simply existing next to each other - it took a careful eye and knowledge of the Sun Gods to notice the gradual shifts in light, the bursts of radio, infrared and the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum. It was a slow form of communication, as Siderous tries to explain what has happened from his perspective, but it was... comforting. A single mote of familiar nostalgia of what was.

Then a strange thing occurred. A bird that Siderous did not recognize fluttered up and began to offer Potential for the great projects.

"I would welcome... The chance to build once again, to create... Anew," Siderous begins to gather his nebulous form again, "However right now there is... something specific I must... find."

Tetrahedron stars? Siderous can scarcely comprehend such a thing. Even for an a exotic sun-god as himself, such a thing bordered on heresy. What was this strange bird who appeared and disappeared so suddenly?

Questions for later. He excused himself from Vela, for there was still work left undone.

The Scrapball

It had taken time for him to move to this place. He still felt trouble returning to a smaller, less stellar form. However for these purposes his current nebulous shape would do. He can hear the echoes of regret and longing, feeling them like rays of light. Siderous seems to puff up then deflate in his cloud-form, knowing that he will not like what he finds here.

But the universe was in tatters, and there was something in this ball of detritus and memories that could help in its repair. He reaches out a hand - a tendril of gas and dust, compressing down to a size to match the scrapball and beginning to glow with the pressure. He begins to seep into the tangled passages and darkened spaces, his glowing radiance casting aside concealing shadows as he explores this place. A place he felt a strange kinship for - a place of Creation, where the remnants of what came before can be forged into something new for the future. Unbidden thoughts of the black sky come to him. Friends and enemies. Stars he had known since their accretion. Stars that had known him since before he become the Star-Heart.

The regrets begin to flow outward from his mind, drawn forth by this place. He steels himself, and continues. This had to be done.

Action 1: Siderous will Meditate with 1 dice, relaxing from the intense burst of action at the start with an extended chat.

Action 2: I will reach out a cloudlike hand into the scrap pile, glowing with stellar Light +2 to banish the concealing darkness and find the truth of these unspoken words. I will push for an extra dice. My Hubris is now 8-Meditation roll.

Corhort Action: Resting/No Action

+2 Stellar Wrangling
+2 Turning down C
+2 Star heart surgery

Injuries [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Starkin Injuries [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]
---Level 1 Stomach Injury

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [0]
---The Cosmic Lasso: Assists in moving objects across great distances in non-combat situations.
---Divina Hospitium [Free]: User can spend 1 action to reduce their injuries by one level. It must
recharge for a full turn before it can be used again. If a PC doesn't take an injury during a turn they

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
RETCON - None of this happened

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 20, 2018

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Scrapball

Siderous is done. He can barely move anymore. There is nothing in his mind but regrets, some his own and others not. The weight of his failures falls upon him suddenly. All the stars that he couldn't save. All the people lost to this madness. Dimly he is aware of a horde of tiny, irreverent things moving to attack the scrapball. He just wants to stay still, the grief weighing down on him heavier than any physical burden. His divine form is wracked with pain. He is unsure of time - his injuries make time seem so immaterial. A moment stretching to infinity - as though he were falling faster, forever faster. A roar in his senses as it feels like reality recedes from him in every direction. He wants it all to just go away.

He takes a shuddering breath, in preparation to unleash a wave of frustration upon these creatures, these walking reminders of his failure, to make them disappear. But then a divine warning - someone, another god. Another survivor. This one heading straight to the Orrery to steal the stars there. The stars that he had given part of his own essence to save. That he had worked so hard to save. The stars he had arranged in their orbits to power the divine hospital that kept Vela's condition stable. That currently housed his child, also recovering from injuries.

To watch them explode. They were going to steal stars, to make them explode. So they could watch.

He should have been angry. He should have visited upon them wrath unlike the universe had seen in twenty stellar generations. Encase her in a pair of magnetars. Tear her apart with a black hole. Demonstrate the ultimate sanction of the Court of Constellations.

But he can't. He just can't.

He is done.

-------------------------------------------
Space Outside the Orrery
-------------------------------------------

As Chrys flies through space, she passes a strange, vaguely humanoid cloud that seems to look at her as she goes for her prize. Not so strange in this time though. That is until she passes the same cloudman, who waves. After the third time, perhaps she stops. She threatens. Demands.

"So, let me start by saying, I am over four hundred billion years old. My best and/or only friend is slowly dying and I don't know how to save her, and my children-child is in a hospital bed right next to her. I have nearly killed myself in an attempt to keep this universe from completely falling apart, and although there are a few of us to split the weight, it feels like the whole universe is still right there on my shoulders. Let's add onto that the universe seems completely intent on reminding me, over, and over, and over again about all my failures, and I do hope you understand that threatening me won't get you anywhere. I have stopped caring. You can try to kill me if you want. Maybe it will help. Maybe it won't."

Perhaps she tries to flee again. She ends up, once again, where she started.

"That won't work. Gravity in this place has wrapped space and time around us, so the local curvature has become positive. In effect we are in a spherical manifold, or more plainly, no matter where you go you'll always end up right back here. Now I can see you're upset. I must remind you, that I am very much beyond caring right now. So we're going to deal with the fact you are currently heading to my new home to kill my friends and family."

From the quantum foam a massive topological defect in spacetime appears, taking the shape of a celestial chair. Siderous immediately turns that chair backwards and sits in it, looking over the back at Chrys, "So sit down, you and I are gonna rap here for a hot second."

"See, the irony here is that if you had happened along in, I dunno, a week? This wouldn't even be a conversation. You want to blow up stars? Child, we a have a universe to rebuild, where do you think those materials were going to come from? The trick is stars require raw materials. And I have nearly driven myself mad trying to find this loving book of horrors and woe that loving city required to in order to get that process started, so now that I hear a hasty little poo poo is trying to murder everyone I know and also all of reality understand that maybe I'm not in the best head space right now."

"Let me say, I can see what you are. What you can do. You could help us rebuild this universe. You could have a hand in reshaping reality. We are all truly gods now. We can reforge creation in our image, to our whims. Maybe that doesn't interest you. Maybe you just want explosions. But let me just say, the paltry few stars you could steal now are nothing compared to what I have planned. There is an infinity out there, empty and formless. I would see it glow with light and life again - and you could be the Death of Stars, the reaper of suns. Oh child, I can see the destructive impulses inside you. They burn you, as they used to burn me. A raging inferno that consumes until there is nothing left. But I'll make you a deal. I have seen things, things that you could scarcely imagine. I have seen the roiling of a star too large to exist, an explosion that happens again, and again until there is nothing left. I have seen chains of supernova at the edge of what was, a wave of force that reshaped reality. I have seen what happens when two magnetars collide."

The cloud of gas begins to become more distinct, eyes appearing dull and red, almost bloodshot. The whole mass seems to whirble and convulse in small, strange ways. The clouds of the nebula churn, reflecting outward the inner turmoil that echoes through his being. Although his next words are spoken with honesty and without guile or hostility, it is clear that he is also on the brink of some sort of divine break.

"I could show you."

Action 1: Siderous is officially done. His will to do things is gone. So he's gonna go have a sit for a while and he's going to attempt to use Gravity +2 and Push for an extra dice to create a Closed Spacelike Curve - a region of space turned in on itself so no matter what direct you look or where you go you always end up back where you start.

Action 2: I'm gonna realtalk with Chrys using Insight +2 and he will also be Pushing on this roll as well.

Corhort Action: Starkin will use the Hospital to heal themselves. The Starkin and Vela certainly heard the gravity waves from that once they travel far enough.

Hubris: 9 = 5 + 2 + 2
---5 (Previous Meditation)
+2 (Grief - Gravity)
+2 (Rap Talk Real Talk)

Injuries [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Starkin Injuries [] [] [ ] [ ]

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [1]
---Divina Hospitium [Used]: User can spend 1 action to reduce their injuries by one level. It must

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 21, 2018

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Oximil

After the chat with Chrys Siderous will breath a sigh of relief and ask leave of the other divinities that remained. He had a task to accomplish - building. He was always at home building something. And he had certainly go through a time to get the materials needed. But first he stops by the divine hospital and begins to gently unbind Vela's life sustaining magics and technologies for a bit of travel. It wouldn't do for her to be stuck in this place forever - he was sure that despite herself, she too wanted to see what had become of the universe. And besides, he could use another's input on the device he was about to be making.

He greets Starkin, who he is pleased to see fully healed of their injuries. He tells them to do as they would - it has been stressful and they all likely needed time to settle down and come to grips with what was going on. He was going to take Vela and his materials to Oximil, to begin the process of relighting the universe.

He takes her, and the assembled materials to Oximil, the city of dust and regrets. The work is gentle, serene - to those that watched his motions conveyed more a musical conductor than anything else as he subtly manipulated the parts into place. The souls of the dead stars - those that he could save, and hadn't been pilfered by the other gods. An object of regret, to bind the structure to the city. And a piece of himself, that might bind it all together. The form doesn't take a traditional temple shape, but instead is a trio of spires that seem to grow from underneath the city and spiral around it. They will collect the dust on the wind and gather it... for the next step.

But he is not working quickly. He is too tired, too injured. The movements are almost lazy, as he attempts to process everything that has happened.

"I am sorry... Sorry that you are so injured. For some reason it feels like it is my fault," Siderous says, almost... unknowingly. The regrets, guilt and remorse trying to find any way out of his psyche, "I saved them, the Starkin, I reached for them. That was my instinct, and then I looked for you and the other stars. I feel regret for not reaching out in those moments for you, and also feel guilt for that regret. The worst part of it is I'm not even sure where this regret is coming from. We've been reduced to scavenging the bits of divine detritus left from the world that was. I've looked into the deepest regrets of a goddess that still lives, trapped in time. A journal of their innermost thoughts echoing in my head, which if I'm honest hasn't been in the greatest state through all of this anyway. I should feel joy. My closest friend and my children survived this calamity, while everyone else lost... everything. Yet even that is being swallowed by this guilt."

He doesn't have a point when he talks. Even when he finishes it isn't an end of a thought, just a trailing into silence of someone looking for guidance, absolution.

Action 1: Meditate with 1 dice.

Action 2: Begin construction of the Temple of Dust using Gravity +2, but with a Level 2 Lung Injury.

Corhort Action: Starkin will probably go off on the specific action with the Trespasser whenever we work out that.

Hubris: 9

Injuries [X] [X] [ ] [ ]

Starkin Injuries [] [] [ ] [ ]

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [3]
---Divina Hospitium [Free]: User can spend 1 action to reduce their injuries by one level. It must

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Starkin
Children-Child of the Sun That Was

As the Trespasser approaches the pair of Vela and Siderous, a distortion in space seems to turn him around. Floating through space before him in a humanoid figure, wearing a gleaming armored suit with a rounded, blank mask covering the face. As light from Siderous and the nearby stars of the Orrery glint off the mask the face beneath is visible - but with every passing moment the face seems to have changed. When Starkin speaks its voice resonates with a hundred billion smaller voices - but altogether it seems to average out to something that perhaps wasn't expected.

"I'm just gonna stop ya right there birdie, I'm afraid The Sun That Was isn't takin any visitahs. Now if you need somethin of a celestial nature I am sure that I could oblige, providin o'course you aren't trying to play a trick on us. Ya see we're more than old enough to spot snake oil for what it is, but I do admit y'alls got us mighty curious about what it is you're really up to. I'm hopin to be pleasantly surprised."

The Starkin will help The Trespasser with Gravity +2

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Oximil

Siderous quakes with the effort of what he is doing, before Vela's words make him stop. He looks and sees how his construction was slow, sloppy - his every movement, his every breath a distraction from the task at hand. He finally relents and begins to move them both to the hospital.

"You're right.."

Suddenly gravity waves begin to wash over them from the direction of the strange temple, sounding faintly like... music? To their stellar ears. It makes Siderous sigh and furrow a brow. He reconnects the life support systems to the hospital's construction, "Well, it seems like we have guests. No rest for the weary on this day."

------------------
CONVERSATION HAPPENS HERE
------------------

He lays in the hospital "bed" across from Vela. As he listens to the increasingly intense and competitive music coming from the strange temple. He idly thinks that if they didn't keep it down Aldeberan and and Antares would surely be by to complain. But the thought doesn't send him into a dark spiral this time - instead a simple sadness as he fades into a restful sleep.

----------------------
Starkin
Children of the Sun That Was, Temple of Prism
---------------------

"Y'all ain't to bad. But I think it's time we got serious, don't you?"

The armored form of Starkin rises to the center of the large space, gathering energy around herself as she motions for Mhaith to start this bout..

Action 1: Meditate with 1 dice.

Action 2: Utilize the Hospital to heal 1 level of injuries.

Corhort Action: Use Insight +2 to continue the language learning process as they cut heads and duel gravjos at each other.

Injuries [X] [X] [X] [ ]
---Level 1 Liver Injury (Immaculate Designer)
---Level 1 Lung Injury (Immaculate Designer)

Starkin Injuries [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
---Level 1 Stomach Injury (Explorationn)

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [3]
---Divina Hospitium [USED]: User can spend 1 action to reduce their injuries by one level. It must
get 1 segment of their healing clock filled from hereon out.[/i]

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Orrery

Siderous wakes with a start, eyes opening and looking around the room. After a moment he calms himself, smiling at the familiar form of the body that had been forged by his children so long ago. A strange dream... Then he notices the ash on his hand. He looks around the room for other signs of damage, but his fist begins to clench as the dream runs through his mind again. His sanctuary had been violated by something. Something wearing Marvak as a mask, and had left a mark to let him know it. But now his mind was clear, his rest having healed his wounds and given him time to come to grips with the new reality in which he found himself. There were two Stargods left.

He was now the First Consul of the Court of Constellations. Speaker of the Celestial Senate. The Guide Light. But more than all of that, he was the Star-Forge, the Sun that Was and this thing had made a mistake revealing itself to him. He leaves the Hospital and begins to scour the Orrery. The gold in the Newvak's eyes - they were the light of the Orrery. Something was here. It was connected somehow.

He appears and disappears with small booms as space compresses and snaps back as he searches the Orrery for any sign of the thing that might still be there, eyes burning blue with purpose and determination.

Eventually he finds Fa, to whom he gives a small nod, toning down his powers a bit.

"Forgive the sudden appearance. Something just appeared to me while I was resting in the hospital," he raises his hand and the ash that stained it, "It left a mark so I would know it was no mere dream. It wore the countenance of Marvak, and spoke in her voice, but behind its eyes glowed the golden light of the Orrery. Have you found something here?"

As he talks he reaches out and tries to connect to the Light of the Orrery. The creature that visited him seemed to have a connection to here. If he could follow that light back to its source, perhaps he could find another clue about what had transpired here at the moment of the Crash.

----------------------
Starkin
Children of the Sun That Was, Temple of Prism
---------------------

Starkin continues learning and teaching Mhaith, trying to find that breakthrough of communication so they could get a better idea of what was actually going on with these Outsiders. It helped that the "hard time" was somewhat trippy and interesting to a being/species that was known for its mastery of gravity. However in the back of her mind Starkin is also doing calculations. To what extend did this "hard time" overlap and override their own rules of reality? How far could it go?

When would it break?

They may have brought devices to time-form this reality into their own, but this was still the home turf. And although Starkin was enjoying the time playing music with Mhaith, if it came down to it a being's universe was its castle, and although accepting of these uninvited guests for now there was only so much stellar hospitality was willing to tolerate.

They moved on to math. Their base-6 math was interesting, a natural progression of a six-fingered species. Starkin began to teach them the Base-60 math of the Stars and their kin, noting the interesting similarities in form, function and significance.

Action 1: Assuming Fa agrees we will compare emotional impressions between what she just saw and what Siderous experienced when he read Kazumi's notebook. I will roll +2 Insight and will be Pushing for an extra dice.

Action 2: I will use Light +2 and Push for an extra dice to investigate the Light of the Orrery, its source and purpose. If the light in the Newvak's eyes was the color of the orrery, maybe there is something else there?

Corhort Action: Use Insight +2 to continue the language learning process as we progress to Math, the universal language.

Hubris: 4

Injuries [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Starkin Injuries [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [3]
---Divina Hospitium [CHARGING]: User can spend 1 action to reduce their injuries by one level. It must
get 1 segment of their healing clock filled from hereon out.[/i]
[/quote]

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 1, 2018

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Orrery

Siderous motioned for Fa to get behind him, "Go, I will handle these things. We must be close to some truth they don't want us to know!"

He spreads his hands wide and then claps them together, forming a gravity well in the center of the mass of Tapede creatures. Then he slides his hands away from each other like he was spinning a top, setting the gravity well into a vortex that started to pull the creatures to it as an accretion disk. The cosmic tornado slides around the room, scooping up the creatures and crushing them until they began to glow with the pressure and begin fusion, burning the rest of them and hopefully setting the infestation to flight.

He doesn't want to kill them all. He wants them to lead him to whatever is pulling their strings. Contacts Starkin, telling them to go to the Scrapball and find a way to wake Majakazumi, to see what she knew about this disaster.

----------------------
Starkin
Children of the Sun That Was, Majakazumi's Scrapball
---------------------

Starkin has just finished searching the Temple, trying to divine how Mhaith had simply vanished when the message came. She gave an assent then began to warp her way to the scrapball. What she found made her sigh, heavily. Of course the Guardians were here and attacking the Scrapball. Why wouldn't they be?

It wouldn't do to simply destroy them, but the Scrapball couldn't take this punishment forever. So Starkin reached out with her hands in opposite directions and squeezed her hands tight. She created massive points of gravity, one behind the Guardians and one behind the Scrapball, stretching out space between them so that the Guardian ships were constantly being pulled out of range, while she tried to think of a more permanent solution to the problem.

Action 1: I will use Gravity +2 and Push to destroy the Tapedes creatures here and crush them into a ball.

Action 2: I will use Light +2 and scour them from the darkness and attempt to purge the Orrery of their presence - will also fluff this as being how I find my way to the scene later.

Corhort Action: Use Gravity +2 create gravity wells in opposite directions of the Guardians and the Scrapball, to streeeeeetch out space between them so that they go into their separate corners.

After the Scene I look like, before any other complications:

Hubris
: 10

Injuries [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
---Level 2 Heart Injury (Live Scene)
---Level 2 Liver Injury (Live Scene)

Starkin Injuries [X] [X] [ ] [ ]

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [0]
---The Crescent Singularity: +1D to Gravity rolls against Servants of the Lady of the Left Hand / the Quartered Goddess
---Divina Hospitium [CHARGED]: User can spend 1 action to reduce their injuries by one level. It must

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Siderous
The Star-Heart, BIRD

One arm hangs limp, his already nebulous form seeming to shimmer and fade as he looks up at the Trespasser with dull, red eyes barely luminous at all. Even as he moves bright, glowing dust and molecules leak from the numerous wounds that still drip with the godslaying venom, both fading into the ether as they leave him. He reaches up slowly, before with a sudden vortex of gravity drags Trespasser forward with a ferocity unlike the composed, meticulous precision that Siderous usually employed. Siderous stares at the Trespasser for a long moment, bringing the bird close to the glowing red embers that form his eyes as though he is having trouble seeing.

Then just as suddenly he lets Trespasser go, continuing forward to the hospital without a word.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Orrery

Siderous gives a great cry as he snaps his arm back into its proper place, a flash of light and heat emitting into the cold, dark universe as he reforms himself in a massive starquake. He is not healed. His wounds still bleed, his visage flickering at the edges as though he were a photograph burning from the outside in. His existence is pain, regret and doubt. He had reached out for answers and instead was consumed in an inferno of even more calamitous questions. He looks at where he is and sees the half-completed skeleton of the stellar nursery.

He grips his fists tight and wills the structure into place, attempting to block out his internal conflicts with action. Gravity bends space and time to his will, moving the vast arcs and structures into place around the City of Regrets. They would filter its eternal winds and collect the dust, converting it into the stuff of new stars that the Universe might be bright once more. It had seemed like a simple goal. Somehow it felt like an eternity ago. Before there were Titans, Outsiders and Timelines. When there was a problem and he could fix it. A goal to which he could advance all his efforts.

Now he stands, his veins burning from the godkilling venom of the tapede-creatures. His divine essence dripping from the wounds like blood before evaporating into nothingness in the universe. He can feel it now. The inexorable march of entropy, so fast now that it makes the wounds all the worse. And for what. To feebly contest the will of a Titan? What was he accomplishing with all of his struggles and all of his pain, what had he actually done that wasn't already being done for him?

He can hear them. He can hear the screams of the Outsiders, their music sending piercing waves of gravity to his ears. He tries to focus on the work. They were vultures, at best. Seeking to pick this corpse-universe clean. At worst invaders that would reform the universe to their whims, erasing everything left that he knew and loved, just as surely as the crash had.

A high pitched burst of gravity shakes him. A young warrior cut down.

Or a child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqhvIqUPeLo

He clenched his jaw. Why did he care? Or did he care? Was this empathy for those who had come seeking refuge from their universe of horrors, or deep fear of what was set upon them. This Titaness awakened from the dawn of creation. Such power had not walked the Universe in a Quadrillion Generations of stars. This reality was already unstable, and what had they done? As soon as they were released they came in and rewrote the laws of reality seemingly without a thought to the consequences. Did they even investigate the source of the Crash? Did the Lady of the Left Hand even care now that she was free? The only things she had done were to make this reality even more fragile and set off on a crusade against beings that were no more outsiders than she.

Focus.

He tries to concentrate on his work, to build this small thing. A slight gesture to the stability of the world. But the cries through waves of gravity don't disappear. They only seem to grow louder, most desperate. Finally he steps back and with a "pop" vanishes from this region of spacetime, beginning a long voyage out toward what used to be the Cosmos, unable to ignore the pulsing in the back of his mind that echoes in his ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqhvIqUPeLo

----------------------
Starkin
---------------------

With the immediate threat dealt with Starkin moves toward the time-prison of Majakazumi, reading out the list of seemingly random items and their arrangement.

"What in blazes does any of this do? Well alright, I suppose it is worth a shot."

She begins to assemble the list as best she can, helping whoever might be nearby when her head snaps up. She can feel that Siderous has set off at great speed into the darkness, and it makes her bite her lip in worry. Whatever was going on, they needed help and they needed it quickly. Right now, it seemed that this Majakazumi was their best bet in figuring out what was going on before anyone did something foolish, or more likely foolhardy.

"You had best be worth all this effort, honey."

Action 1: I will use Gravity +2 to pull the structure of the Stellar Nursery/Temple of Dust into the correct positions to harvest the winds of Oximil for raw materials to form new stars from.

Action 2: I will use Light +2 and forge the pieces together into one solid structure that it might begin to perform its task. After my actions are done, whether or not it is complete, Siderous is going to fly off where he detects the Gravity Disturbances that the Outsiders make, to try and find some sort of answer to anything that is going on.

Corhort Action: Use Insight +2 to correctly complete and arrange the Mystical Fetch-Quest Mission of Marvak to free Majakazumi, and hopefully find something that will go right in this universe.

Hubris[/u]: 10

Injuries [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]
---Level 2 Heart Injury (Live Scene)
---Level 2 Liver Injury (Live Scene)

Starkin Injuries [X] [X] [X] [ ]

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [0]
---The Crescent Singularity: +1D to Gravity rolls against Servants of the Lady of the Left Hand / the Quartered Goddess
---Divina Hospitium [CHARGED]: User can spend 1 action to reduce their injuries by one level. It must

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Orrery

Siderous takes a moment to solidify the star of healing light over the planet when Erewui and her coterie depart. An... informative discussion. He looks down at the mark on his hand and frowns, conjuring a thick glove to hide this particular mark until a more appropriate time. It could only make things more difficult. Still it is with a hope, for the first time in so long that it felt almost foreign to him. Perhaps there was a light at the end of this tunnel.

He warps space so that he can return to visit with Starkin to see if Majakazumi was free and what she knew. He was not expecting to see Mhaith's Ascent there, but it was a happy coincidence. It would greatly expedite this process if he did not need to find the Outsiders himself, but instead had a guide to where they were. He bows his head in greeting, but then reads the mood of the room and begins to scowl.

"I had come bringing tidings of hope and good fortune. It appears that my mood will be brief."

Mhaith's words fill him with a dull, seething sort of rage. The burning unfairness of it all, as though he were trying to climb out of a pit by grasping at the fog around him. Something so clearly there in front of his eyes, but ephemeral against his touch. It was infuriating. He looks around the room and sighs, attempting to maintain his composer for the moment.

"This is madness of the highest order. I have confronted the Black Serpent and convinced her that there is another way. That I, we, could find another way. She constructed this universe, and she has told me that your presence, your manipulation of Time is straining our reality too much. That it is bringing on aftershocks that will cause great destruction, and she has no reason to lie. This is why she has brought her wrath upon you, and she will finish her work should I fail to complete my end of the bargain. We do not have the time to waste in this pointless conflict. If you hope to construct some weapon to end the Titaness then you are seeking a glorious suicide. She took my soul between two fingers and could have crushed me as though I were nothing. Even if you built a weapon that could destroy her, such a conflict would shatter this universe forever."

He stops his rant for a moment, taking a breath and looking to Starkin, "Find this machine and investigate its purpose. See if it can be brought to useful function. I will find this crusade and stop it if I can - or at least buy some time."

In another moment he blinks away. He stops by the hospital, hovering near the machinery that supported Vela's life. Machinery of his creation - that hopefully will become unnecessary shortly. He smiles, giving a somewhat humorless chuckle, "I'm about to do something very foolish. I only hope I live so you can slap me for it later. I know you'll never forgive me if I don't."

-------------------
The Crusade Path
-----------------------------

Siderous doesn't know what he plans to do really. Frankly, he hadn't been thinking straight in some time. He could vaguely sense the Crusade in the distance. Moving toward the others. What would he do? They were coming to wipe them out. It was self defense at this point, on his part. He and the others were blameless in this ongoing farce at the end of all creation. And yet... Here he was. Why was he here? Simply a guilty conscience?

He realizes with a start that he doesn't have an actual plan at all. He truly was just a photon bouncing from wall to wall without direction or guidance. And Erewui had called him Lodestar?

So much for the Guiding Light.

Think. He needed time to think, to process everything that had happened. And there was one thing that always helped him focus, as he took a seat and twisted spacetime into an instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjAuIcV5aes&t=40s

He begins to pluck at invisible strings, sending a message to this approaching army. He wondered how they would respond - probably poorly, if he had any guess. But perhaps that was what he wanted, deep down. For them to make the choice for him, to take his open hand and slap it away. Absolve him of his indecision through their actions.

No. That didn't seem like him. It had never bothered him before, taking the actions that needed to be taken to defend his home and family. Perhaps it was something simpler. Maybe, he just... Pitied them.

As he plays his aspect begins to change, losing its humanoid shell and taking on a truer appearance. The Healing Star, the Sun that Was, as he thought back to simpler days. The formative years when he figured out who he was. He was alone then - the Senate and Court were nowhere in his mind. So far as he knew he was the only being in the Universe. Alone, and directionless.

When mortals were born on one of his planets, it was a miracle. Something that he had never even considered, life, had happened. He had been part of it, through his presence, but he had never imagined anything like that would be possible. They amazed him, and he loved them for existing in a lonely universe.

The Outsiders, when they find him, find a far more serene being than he had been recently. He does not react to any hostile actions other than to acknowledge their presence and see if they have any words for him.

----------------------
Starkin
---------------------

Starkin had been worried about The Sun that Was for some time, but there was never a good way to address that. His actions were increasingly erratic, the stress and enormity of this disaster hitting him flush and leaving him in a constant state of panic. But there was nothing for it at the moment, as armies approach the gates and things seem to be spiraling increasingly out of any sort of control.

She appears in the basement of the Reclemation Station with a step, searching for the basement to figure out what was going on. Maybe Mhaith would follow, maybe not. It was irrelevant. So far as she could tell this machinery was for basic research of some kind, more than anything else. As she looks around she begins to reassemble the magnetic couplings into a new form, one that might be able to channel the energy here into something productive and hopefully provide some bleedoff in case of a surge in power when the inevitable swarm of investigators and construction began.

Action 1: I will Meditate in the path of the encroaching army.

Action 2: I will use Light +2 to take on the appearance of the Healing Star from his past, basically identical to the one he left over that Outsider world. Maybe that will make them think about things, but maybe not.

Corhort Action: Use Gravity +2 to begin construction of a Temple of Magnetism, using the gravitic manipulation to carefully work around the sensitive equipment that is too delicate to touch and generally just see if building a temple is even feasible here/figure out an ingredient list.

Injuries [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [0]

[/quote]

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous
The Star-Heart, Crusade Path

He could feel his being bending, bowing to the pressure from every direction. But he did not break. Even as they tried to erase him from reality he refused to shift, an Immovable Object in their path that did not comply with their desire for wanton destruction. It was fortunate that Mhaith's Ascent intervened when they did - because Siderous was not a saint. He was giving them an opportunity to end this peacefully, but he was not going to simply die for their satisfaction. The once regal, yellow star had taken on a deep, angry crimson hue as the Outsiders retreated and their leader approached.

The color faded away as Siderous assumed a more humanoid form and began to approach the leader, his mind spinning with ideas of what to actually do. That's when he heard Vela, rather than sensed her approach. She was near, but the gulf of space between them seemed to stretch on forever. As though he were looking at a memory, a vision. It took time for him to recognize that this was not a hallucination or mirage, but that she was healed, returned to her normal spirits. It was as though a part of himself that had been missing was returned.

That is when a plan finally entered his mind. It made him smile, in that mysterious way he did. She was going to hate him for this. He would likely never hear the end of it.

But at least she would be there to speak, and he would be there to listen.

He turned back to Vision of Meidhbhín, and began to speak.

"Hark, for I bring a message of salvation to you weary and injured travelers from afar. You have come from a realm of gloom and shadow, seeking joy and for that I place no blame upon you. However I will speak to you the truth, that your Time and our Time are in conflict deep in the soul of this universe, and this conflict threatens a second Calamity even greater than the first, from which there will be no recovery or survival.

It is for this reason that the Mother of this Universe, the Creator who built this reality which became her prison, has struck a blow so grievous against you and your kin.
"

He begins to float forward, reaching out a hand which glows with the warm light of spring's first dawn. A light that has not forgotten winter's bitter chill, but brings hope and renewal to the world. The light fills the wounds of the Vision of Meidhbhin, beginning to heal them and as many of the others as he can.

"I am but a simple god, a survivor clinging to live in this ruination of reality. I can heal you wounds, but I cannot heal the memories or the hatred which you now feel. I do not ask that you set aside your anger or offer forgiveness to the one who has dealt you such a blow. But I ask that you think also of your children, your children's children and all your descendants which might make this universe home. That might know the joy that you have sought and paid such a dear price for.

If you would put aside this conflict for now, that future generations might know peace then I beseech you - travel to the great Palace that gives Structure to this universe. There you will meet many gods and goddesses, some of which are known to you, many of which are not. Seek out VOTH and FA, unto whom has been given power. They will help you into our universe, that your people and ours will live in harmony into the future.
"

He tries to hide the pain of this action, but it is clear that he struggles as he reaches to his chest and bring out a bright, incandescent blue flame. The fire melds itself into a sort of bandage, which wraps around the Vision's wounds and glows with the seals of the Metatron's Cube. A healing artifact, to help their wounds recover.

"T-take this, a gift, that you might know the pain in your heart is the pain of my heart. Follow its call, and it will lead you to my Children, and they will know you by it. Go in peace, and be friend to us and we will do everything we can to help you."

Siderous turns and walks to Vela, but stops just short and turns back. His eyes, which normally glowed with the light of a sun are black - blacker than black, a depth from which there is no return as he issues a warning, "But if you scorn this offer of friendship know that it was made in faith, an offer of trust freely given. Know that if you raise a sword against my clan and kin then I will show you the terrible wonders of this reality. This universe holds happiness and treasures beyond your dreams, that I would share with you. But if you choose the path of the conqueror I will give you a personal education in horrors unimagined in your darkest nightmares, beyond anything you could hope to comprehend."

Another step and he warps with Vela away.

A moment after that, he collapses.

----------------------
Starkin
Children of the Sun That Was, Temple of Magnetism
---------------------

Unaware of the goings on outside of the Reclemation Engine, the Starkin continue to use their remaining time as a deity to complete their investigations into magnetism, a great wealth of knowledge and power that the Sun that Was could use in his actions.

Action 1: I will take a Level 2 Heart injury to create a Bandage of Light that will help the big wounds on their leader heal over time, using Immaculate Designer

Action 2: I will use Light +2 to attempt to Heal the wounds of these people, I will Push for an extra dice.

Corhort Action: Use Gravity +2 to continue the construction of a Temple of Magnetism, using the gravitic manipulation to carefully work around the sensitive equipment that is too delicate to touch and generally just see if building a temple is even feasible here/figure out an ingredient list.

Injuries [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
---Level 2 Stomach Injury
---Level 2 Heart Injury

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [0]

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous and Vela

"No Vela... Right now I have a child that needs me..." he reaches up a weak hand to caress her cheek. The cracks and scares from millennia weigh down on him, his rage, his pride, his heart having been desperately thrown onto a fire to keep the light burning in this creation for another day, week, month, year... Now he can feel it, the silent cry of a child lost in a world too big for them to understand. A desperate plea, unspoken, that he should have heard but pushed aside for the sake of the disaster of the moment. For all his moralizing and preaching he was failing at his first duty. The most important one.

He looks at the BIRD attacking the leader of the Outsiders, and can't bring himself to care anymore. He turns back and pulls Vela in for a weak hug, whispering, "My part in this farce is at an end. Will you... help me? Take me to her... I kn-" a cough, that sets his core ablaze in pain, breathless, timeless agony.

Shallow breathes, trying to maintain his composure, "I know you like, parties. It's... going to be a birthday today."

-------------------------

The Starkin sit among half-finished experiments, curled into a ball trying to contain their tears. But they are failing. She seems to be at war with herself, the component parts of her eager to reassert themselves as individuals... but she was scared. Angry. It seemed like she was a sacrifice, a temporary, disposable thing to be cast aside when things returned to 'normal.' A normal that didn't include her. When he looked at her, did he even see her? Or just snapshots of a billion faces, of children he longed to see again?

She tried. She tried to tell herself it wasn't so bad, that she could get through this. She had to be strong and bear her pain, like he did his.

But she was going to die. And that was the singularity. The inescapable truth that bent all other thoughts back upon it. She had barely begun to live, and now she was going to die, and it didn't seem that anyone cared. The whole universe seemed to be darkness and it didn't seem like there was any escape.

"I'm sorry."

The sudden noise made her gasp and stand up. Instinctively she tried to wipe the tears from her eyes, compose herself - but his hands stopped her. He was weak. Grievously injured, she could tell. So weak she didn't even sense him arrive. She knew that mortal children would expect to see themselves grow, while their parents would fade away. That was not so for gods and the divine. She had never seen Siderous like this. Old. Sputtering. Weighed down by millennia. Even the star-core he had been, his funeral tomb, had glowed more brightly than he did now.

A child's reaction. She immediately felt guilt welling up inside, blaming herself for this. She had driven him to this somehow, but before she could open her mouth to speak he pulled her close. Hugging her as tightly as he could, but his strength flickered like a low flame. Sometimes strong, sometimes weak. But still warm.

"I have been such a fool. Trespasser has been right all along, I was just too blind to see it. I've been so focused on returning things to the way they were, I missed the wonders of the new. The blessings I have been given even in this tragedy. Oh, dear daughter will you ever be able to forgive me for being so cruel to you?"

Daughter.

The word echoed around in her mind, her heart, her soul. Singular. Not his children, sons and daughters. A new wave of tears, as she clamped onto him like a vice. He gave a soft gasp of pain but did not pull away, stroking her hair and she felt his tears as well. She wouldn't let go. She refused to let this fade away like a dream. It had to be real. It had to be.

After a while he kissed the top of her head and moved to sit down, leaning against the wall of this laboratory. She sat in his lap, face still buried in his chest.

"I have failed you as a father. I was so devoted to my 'duty' that I didn't see you growing before my eyes. I have missed so many things. Your first words, your first thoughts. When you opened your eyes and for the first time were truly you."

Vela was watching, a respectful distance away. She blinked, and in that moment she saw the gestalt of the starkin change. She took on the appearance of a young girl, a child. The truth, now revealed.

"Dad... I don't wanna to go. Not now, please... Just a little longer, please, just let me be me a little longer."

He held her, and used his powers to relieve the pressure upon her. He nuzzled his cheek against the top of her head and cradled her close.

"You aren't going anywhere."

She looked up at him, confused... but now with a flicker of hope. The kind of hope only a child could have in a parent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cIxF4Ex7a4

"You are not just a collection of souls. Those souls aren't you at all, my sweet child. You are the glue between them, the bonds of family, love and hope. You held tightly to your brothers and sisters and kept them safe through all of this, and thoughts of you held me together in the darkest moments of this end of times. You are the attractive force that kept our family together... You saved us all. Now it is our turn."

He reaches a hand out and summons a familiar shape, although surprising in its sudden appearance. For a brief moment all other feelings are replaced with shock as a Metatron's Cube, a perfect copy of the vessel from so long ago appears in the air, "An echo from another time, a potential time, collapsed now into certainty. With this, my children found me. Not the atoms or molecules, the physical matter - the light, the soul and heart, released from a dying prison and given new form. Now I will do the same for you. My youngest, and my eldest. The mediator between father and your siblings, for you have walked both paths. My precious princess of bonds..."

"You are not Starkin. You are one of them, but apart from them also," he leans in to whisper the ancient language of the kin of the stars, that language shared between parent and children, "You are Baand kee Raajakumaree... Maree. You don't need to be afraid any more."

He looks back up to Vela. He is smiling, "Your family is with you now."

----------------------------------
----------------------------------
Starkin is now named "Baand kee Raajakumaree" - or Maree.

Action 1: Use Insight +2 to try and finish the Magnetism temple. Finish the connections that were built and the work that Maree already put into it.

Action 2: Use Gravity +2 to begin preparing the Alt-Timeline Metatron's Cube to make Maree a more permanent being/creating a new cohort.

Cohort Action: Have a family moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Siderous

A Magnetar is Born

Pain, barely blocked out by complete focus. The ritual was ready, as it had been prepared for him so long ago. The Cube was humming with quantum harmonics, singing with the same harmony as Maree's being, her soul. They called to one another, but now was the dreaded part. The most dangerous step, the final moments of uncertainty. Too far forward to stop, but so many things that could still go wrong.

A hand on his shoulder. He sighed, and nodded, then released the gravity he had been holding back.

An explosion, powerful enough to throw him back in his weakened state. Vela has to catch him before he slams hard into the walls of their small workshop in the bottom of the reclamation station. It took all his strength to keep it from tearing this section of the structure apart, leaving himself vulnerable.

"Typical..." he distantly hears.

But he isn't listening. He is frozen, in a moment of terror as he searches for his child. The eternal second.

"Dad!"

Time unfreezes, as he slumps against the wall. Tension was the only thing holding him up, and his relief takes the last of his strength. She is there. He can see her now, a most unusual star in this unusual universe. He closes his mask's eyes and feels her presence as a star. Feeling the gravity, a dense stellar remnant. Her magnetic field danced and tangled with his as she hugged him, and he hugged her back. He would have hugged her forever, but she jumped away, full of new life and purpose. Freed of the weight of her siblings and her father's foolish expectations.

He opens his eyes and sees her there, flying around the room. Around her are a swarm of millions, billions of tiny motes of light. She dances through them, pulling them close for a moment then dancing away as she sees her siblings, the souls that once made up her, for the first time. Siderous watches his children play.

Then faster than was expected, he grabs Vela's hand. She had been moving away, but he pulled her back, "Where are you going?"

"Oh you know, I don't want to interrupt your moment with your children. It's always been a bit of sore point, hasn't it darling?"

A mysterious smile as he stands up, moving behind Vela so he can guide her vision over her shoulder, "Look again. Do you think her eyes are silver because of me? Do my eyes twinkle mischievously? She even has your field lines, if you let them grow stronger. I think you passed the event horizon of 'my' children, and are well toward 'our' child, at least. Why I'll have you know that Maree was scarcely awake before she started poking about old ruins with that Bird - sounds more like a certain hellion I've met, 'Lady of Chaos.'"

"You're part of this cluster. If you wish to be, that is. Will you be my binary?"

------------------

Father and Daughter worked now to build a home for the rest of the Kin of the Stars. High above Oximil, the dust-collection spires had formed a great cloud. Already some protostars were forming, but it would be many thousands of years for things to progress naturally. They concentrated their gravity to the center, and pulled the dust into a new star over Oximil - a dull, reddish yellow that would give Light to the newly formed Polis below. Then they began to build a series of moonlets. Tiny beads of matter that would circle the star like a necklace, and in them raw materials for a civilization to forge itself anew.

A Dyson swarm forming a halo around the new star takes shape, the cradle for the Kin of the Stars.

Action 1: I will use Gravity +2 to help complete the ritual for Maree

Corhort Action: Vela will use Light +1 to help complete the ritual for Maree.

Action 2: Siderous will Meditate.

Housekeeping Actions:

1. Siderous will use Gravity +2 to build a stellar habitat for the Kin of the Stars around a new sun over Oximil, using the dust collection from that thing he built a while back.

2. Maree will use Gravity +1 to also help build a stellar habitat/city 'above' Oximil, but for game purposes on Oximil.

Injuries [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]
---Level 3 Lung Injury

Items/Artifacts
---Ambrosia [0]
---Stellar Nursery
---Temple of Magnetism

• Locked thread