Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:justpost::justpost::justpost:
:orb::orb::orb:

nobody reads the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

i do

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

WTF is this is this weakass op.

IN THIS THREAD WE ONLY SPEAK OF THE CHUGGERNAUT

ALL HAIL THE CHUGGERNAUT

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BraveUlysses posted:

:orb::orb::orb:

nobody reads the op

YEs we do and this one is about as good as one of my Subarus

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

lovely OP. And it was better than any of the rest of us did. Good job, thread poster.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

hai it's july

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

WTF is this is this weakass op.

IN THIS THREAD WE ONLY SPEAK OF THE CHUGGERNAUT

ALL HAIL THE CHUGGERNAUT

I'm the safe labeled savings :homebrew:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Happy Canada Day!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Heading bush for three weeks tomorrow. Cant loving wait!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Fermented Tinal posted:

Happy Canada Day!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
July! OP sucks, OP still better than any alternative op.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
hi i've been lurking literally forever but i don't really post. this might not be the right place but I don't think this is interesting enough for it's own thread

So, I got an unloved 2007 cadillac DTS for free and i've fallen in love with it. I did most of the service on it for the owner for the 4ish years he drove it, and after hitting a raccoon at 90mph and blowing the fucc out of the bumper it sat behind my garage for almost 2 years. I knew he'd never bother fixing it, and I thought it was neat so I let it sit until he reached the same conclusion. He signed the title over, and the rest of the story is below

as it was after sitting 2 years in the same spot. it was in a relatively shady spot, and the plants grew from like 3-4 feet away, i think the reflection off the chrome attracted them. damnest thing, never seen anything like it, I thought somebody glued a wreath to it when i first saw it

I had to take the grille off and the driver's side headlight to get all the loving vines out. the bumper doesn't look terrible but it's only the skin held together with zipties, the foam and plastic supports and wiring harness are gonezo

found a thing

painted a thing (with rattle cans in my backyard)

it turned out way better than it had any right to. I have close to 0 idea what i'm doing with paint, it was scary. the materials cost more than the drat bumper foglight headlight and parking sensors!

this ain't gonna do

cut open and rebuilt! i very much enjoy doing this kind of thing

replaced drat near the whole suspension- rear air suspensions, front struts, all tie rods and sway bar links, all pads and rotors, shock/strut upper mounts front and back, and front lower control arms and ball joints

and it ran and drove great! for a couple weeks. then i found out what the random squeak was when cold when the water pump seized and took out the tensioner, drive pulley, and the belt. and the water pump is a huge bitch and loving everything has to come out

this big af coolant crossover has to come out to get the pump off, and it is just a huge bitch in general to remove. especially the bolts underneath/behind the harness, and the harness doesn't move more than an inch or 2. SUCKED!

blah, blah this post is getting too long but it's running and driving loving great now, I resoldered some connections on the heated/cooled seats module the day after i finished the water pump for maximim c o m f o r t and am now enjoying it as my daily

she be lookin crisp now, for 935$ total invested including transfer fees. I look like a pimp/grandpa driving around but i'm to comfy to care

( i could make a similar post about an evo 9 that was abandoned outside since 2008 i did last year, with a lot of pics. should I?)

Captain Crabsticks fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 1, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can derive enjoyment anytime the northstar v8 causes pain for somebody else because gotdrat do I hate that loving engine in any variety (L37 LD8 idgaf). Was it a hail damage car?

E: the first three seconds are whenever I hear of a free car but also it's got a northstar in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0TQjBRcFo

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 1, 2018

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
oh, and here's some pics of the best barn find ever to ruin your day

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Thread tag is fitting.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Was it a hail damage car?
no, the p.o. hit an aminal on the highway and it destroyed everything in the front end that wasn't metal. head gaskets are still good (somehow) but the midblock/upper oil pan/girdle is starting to seep oil. I'm probably going to drop the engine/trans/subframe next month and take care of that, and replace the timing chains (it's at 130k). otherwise it runs great no check engine lights or weird overheating etc. 06-up northstars had a redesigned head bolt+block threads so they don't normally blow head gaskets unless seriously overheated, but they didn't redo the girdle bolts so that's why mine leaks oil. i actively enjoy pain-in-the-rear end projects, and have tools time and enough knowlege to get me out of trouble so i'm not really worried. even if the engine seizes tomorrow i can get a good one for 500$ and have it driving by wednesday and still be under market value for the car.

Captain Crabsticks fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 1, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OK, since I managed to post in the June thread, I'll repost here:

Uh, guys?
We've got a new game to try:

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/wr...ekly_newsletter

http://www.wreckfestgame.com/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/228380/Wreckfest/

I just noticed that they are developing for consoles, too! Though I have a Steam streaming box, so I can just stream from my PC to the big TV in the living room.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

quote:

How the hell is 2018 halfway over already
Really, where the hell did 2018 go and why do I feel like I haven't accomplished a thing?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So anyone remember when I asked for an engineer's advice on some "fake" pillars "holding up" my carport outside the main beams? And everyone said wtf get rid of them?

Well I started removing them, and the edge of the roof definitely dropped at least an inch maybe more once I removed all the mounting screws and hit the bottom out with a sledge hammer.......Do I need to be worried :ohdear:

Oh and this is what it was mounted to btw, no trusses just the old "soffit" which is plywood....Unless there are trusses under the plywood? idk.

My house was built in the 1957, and you can see the barcode on the mounts so it's obviously recent, I'm just wondering if they were replaced or added on for some dumb reason other than structural.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
do people just put support beams in to look pretty now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everybody plz keep all yo fingats this week.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Captain Crabsticks posted:

do people just put support beams in to look pretty now?

Idk because it sure as hell wasn't pretty, I'm just wondering if I'm making a horrible mistake after watching the roof drop when i took the first two out. Haven't taken the third and last one out yet.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
poo poo postin? hell yea

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Idk because it sure as hell wasn't pretty, I'm just wondering if I'm making a horrible mistake after watching the roof drop when i took the first two out. Haven't taken the third and last one out yet.

RIP your roof

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm in Halifax for Canada and they do this better than the US does 4th of July.

OTO, Roger's 4g internet sucks.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Is it possible that your 1950s roof is poorly engineered or broken and these posts were added as a half-assed support to stop it sagging?

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007

you should get some jacks and put them all back probably lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

she be lookin crisp now, for 935$ total invested including transfer fees. I look like a pimp/grandpa driving around but i'm to comfy to care

( i could make a similar post about an evo 9 that was abandoned outside since 2008 i did last year, with a lot of pics. should I?)

:whatup:

I'm a sucker for old Cadillacs. I had a cheap '93 STS and recently an '02 Deville, and currently an '05 Escalade.

The Deville/DTS/DHS are severely underrated. The Northstar worries are overblown, they make a ton of power and are comfy as your living room. There's no down side to a cheap loving Cadillac. Nice buy.

Edit: Here's the Deville. It was a good car.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 1, 2018

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Giving unloved cars some love is the best. Great job, enjoy your cool nearly free car

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my dog just farted, stared at his butt for a minute, then sniffed it, scowled, and went back to chewing his bone

good boy :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gimpsuitjones posted:

Is it possible that your 1950s roof is poorly engineered or broken and these posts were added as a half-assed support to stop it sagging?

you should get some jacks and put them all back probably lol

Well the whole reason I even considered doing it was an experienced contractor told me I don't need them, and I posted here in addition because of the engineers that post in AI and was told the same thing so I dunno.

I'm gonna call the contractor back and see what he says, until then I'm leaving the last one in for now lol.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
If the support structure is THAT lovely, now would be a good time to reroof! :v:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
1957 should be very good quality house so I don’t know what to say. My 1960 house IS overbuilt in every way. I don’t have any advice but if roof dropped I’d be terrified.

Edit if I literally sound like I am drunk and had a stroke my phone just will not behave posting here I still need to look into the app

everdave fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 1, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well the whole reason I even considered doing it was an experienced contractor told me I don't need them, and I posted here in addition because of the engineers that post in AI and was told the same thing so I dunno.

I'm gonna call the contractor back and see what he says, until then I'm leaving the last one in for now lol.

That's loving insane. Maybe it was some slapped on later addition to deflect rain and they built it the dumbest way possible? Keep us posted.

Unrelated, it's bizarre seeing twitter beef between major corporate bigwigs.

https://twitter.com/StevenArmstrong/status/1013522801834254337

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes a bespoke manufacturer versus the largest manufacturer in the world. Which emoji is the masturbating one again?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Otoh gently caress Tesla and gently caress musk for being a union breaking scab among a bunch of other lovely things that he is

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's also true, but a completely separate topic not related to the Ford guy furiously masturbating as he emails his social media manager.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's also true, but a completely separate topic not related to the Ford guy furiously masturbating as he emails his social media manager.

Fair enough

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

'05 Escalade.

Thanks, I want an escalade like yours so loving bad. I've been messaging people with beat up escalades on craigslist because I want a big cadillac, but this one is almost done and i want something i could more reasonably ghetto turbo. I just saw this one in the junkyard, you need any parts? I'm pretty sure the drivetrain is good. i might take the grille to put on my wall as it looks like my car's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Can I interest you in
:justpost::posthaste:

• Locked thread