Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i'm down with that

put my house up for sale and its quite an experience getting everything tied up and ready to sell it...now the anxiety of how long this will take to sell is hitting us

also its amazing to see what kind of poo poo houses people try to sell for 500k+ in the seattle area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's a lovely, sunny summer day.

A great day to enjoy a crisp, cool beer in the sun. Or in my case, a chilled cider.

I tried some of this - the idea of a cider part- brewed from berries seemed like it could have some interesting and complex tastes. The packaging makes it seems somewhat sophisticated.

Mother fucker is just cider and black in a can. i.e. cider and Ribena

I haven't drunk this poo poo since I was 17 and wearing black jeans and a metallica t-shirt.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

also its amazing to see what kind of poo poo houses people try to sell for 500k+ in the seattle area

Pffft... look what $1M gets you in San Jose: https://www.estately.com/listings/info/1375-bird-avenue--2

Captain Crabsticks posted:

Thanks, I want an escalade like yours so loving bad. I've been messaging people with beat up escalades on craigslist because I want a big cadillac, but this one is almost done and i want something i could more reasonably ghetto turbo. I just saw this one in the junkyard, you need any parts? I'm pretty sure the drivetrain is good. i might take the grille to put on my wall as it looks like my car's

That looks like an '06? LQ9 is a great motor. It'd be SO much better hooked up to a non-stupid transmission.

The only think I need on that car is the last "E" from the "ESCALADE" on the passenger door... mine's missing the top arm. If you can grab it, I'll pay a couple bucks for it!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

I haven't drunk this poo poo since I was 17 and wearing black jeans and a metallica t-shirt.

All the coolest 17 year olds also added lager into it to make it into a proper Snakey B..

I can still remember how bad the hangovers were.... and the purple Vom..

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

A great day to enjoy a crisp, cool beer in the sun. Or in my case, a chilled cider.

I tried some of this - the idea of a cider part- brewed from berries seemed like it could have some interesting and complex tastes. The packaging makes it seems somewhat sophisticated.

I would probably drink the gently caress out of at least one of these and then go "urgh that was way too sweet".

Having said that, I'm on Dry July so I won't be partaking in anything all month.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A few months back 14 inch picked up a long-sought-after stereo for me during his dental trip. I won't get to deep into the details of how much I wanted it because I'm a selfish prick.

About 20 minutes after powering it on and having it run, the it ate its bridge rectifier and a few random PSU transistors on the secondary power supply. Since then, it's been sitting in the corner until I had time to work on it.

This past week was midterms for my first (of five) semesters, and this upcoming week only has two classes as a kind of refractory period, so I decided to open it back up. My supplies are limited, but I do have a few baggies of generic poly capacitors and standard 1N4007 diodes. Like AvE says, if it's hosed you can't gently caress it any more, so why not take a shot at fixing it?

This area got a bit hot when it self-destructed, and took out the traces on the bottom of the board

I've got a few sins to atone for, add this to the pile

As well as my temporary heatsink for the improper transitor

Funny enough it's running right now just fine with that exploded diode (that broke on my first resurrection attempt), but the radio sound output is poo poo. I should probably replace that. But otherwise its running right now, and that's better than not at all. I am not ashamed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

That's loving insane. Maybe it was some slapped on later addition to deflect rain and they built it the dumbest way possible? Keep us posted.

Took the soffit off and found pretty standard joists....

But then stuck the camera up in and to the right.....

That's in between the joists right where the post was, and it all looks original.

Would that piece in between the joists even be able to hold any load? I mean wouldn't have been smarter to put the post directly under the joist if it was meant for any kind of support? I don't get it.

As far as rain deflection, could be because it does not drain off that side at all, the water drains off the pitched part of the roof and makes a hard left creating a giant waterfall at the entrance of the car port even if it's pouring rain it will not go off the side of the roof with the posts on it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 2, 2018

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Pffft... look what $1M gets you in San Jose: https://www.estately.com/listings/info/1375-bird-avenue--2

That looks like an '06? LQ9 is a great motor. It'd be SO much better hooked up to a non-stupid transmission.

The only think I need on that car is the last "E" from the "ESCALADE" on the passenger door... mine's missing the top arm. If you can grab it, I'll pay a couple bucks for it!

i'm going back to the junkyard to get some rocker panels for my cadillac on tuesday, if they're on the car it's yours for shipping cost. i don't have pm's i'll post something in your thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Strongbow makes some tasty drinks and has the best ad campaign in the history of alcoholism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ISRkHHXTgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysLpECSegSI

There's a half dozen of them but they're not on YT anymore for some reason.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Turns out that busted diode was on the lighting circuit for the add-on CD unit, meaning the button lights flicker a bit when it has higher load, like changing CDs. No biggie, gonna throw a big cap on there and play it as is.

E: have it set up in stress test mode right now. Gonna let it chooch for awhile while watching something with BT headphones.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 2, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Some how ex and her mom went to the state and now know I own an Ar and life just got way worse guys. She claims I am never allowed to see my kids again. I am not a felon I can whatever the gently caress I want with guns in tn

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 2, 2018

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

everdave posted:

Some how ex and her mom went to the state and now know I own an Ar and life just got way worse guys. She claims I am never allowed to see my kids again. I am not a felon I can whatever the gently caress I want with guns in tn

The answer is always lawyer

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

everdave posted:

gently caress what she claims, what does a judge say?

epic bird guy posted:

The answer is always lawyer

Ayyyup.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

everdave posted:

Lawyer lawyer lawyer.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Everdave: it is lawyer time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Why you didn’t lawyer up at the start is beyond me

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I’m not crazy, right? No one services window/portable ac units, right? I’ll be damned if I can find anyone that does near me. And I don’t want to shell out $300 for a new one and junk one that mostly works. And I’m not about to shell out for central on a house that we’re definitely not staying at for more than a few years. And this is so dumb. Have I mentioned that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You kinda answered it yourself. If a new one is only $300, who is going to pay for parts and service on fixing one? Seems like nearly any repair would rapidly equal the replacement cost.

If they're like any small refrigerator I've ever seen, they may not even have refrigerant service ports.

Depending on the fault I'd personally at least give it a quick stab of the ol' AVE "can't gently caress it any worse". But then again I live in AZ so I would probably have about five minutes to do that before getting sent to the store to replace the fucker.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Everdave has a lawyer already afaik

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I’m not crazy, right? No one services window/portable ac units, right? I’ll be damned if I can find anyone that does near me. And I don’t want to shell out $300 for a new one and junk one that mostly works. And I’m not about to shell out for central on a house that we’re definitely not staying at for more than a few years. And this is so dumb. Have I mentioned that?

You could get a mini split system and take it when you leave.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Everdave has a lawyer already afaik

Talking to lawyers gets expensive yo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

Talking to lawyers gets expensive yo

Having an ex try and gently caress you over is even more expensive and more to the point, mentaly debillitating

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I guess as the thread HVAC/R tech here, yeah, you crazy bruh.

Nobody is really going to waste their time with a windowshaker, since pretty much any service for it is going to cost as much if not more than a unit.And for the most part, they're really not designed to be serviceable. Like, what is the issue, I'd assume it's not cooling, but is the blower blowing? Is it just not cooling?

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 2, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Previa_fun posted:

I'm the safe labeled savings :homebrew:

I'm the irate horse watching helplessly as its metaphorical and literal death crawls chugs closer

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Saw a first gen F body tonight - probably a Camaro but it was dark and I didn't see the nose - with some amazing LED taillights. They lit up incrementally in the direction of the signal, but with so many individual LEDs and steps that it just looked like a fluid motion.

I now want to see how many columns of LEDs I could fit in my C10's skinny rear end lights.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Speaking of spark plugs, has anyone heard of ruthenium spark plugs yet? I found a listing for some ngk ones on a subaru this week and was kinda intrigued. Some basic googling turned up a patent for ruthenium in spark plugs by federal mogul ignition (Champion), but nothing that really went hardcore into where it falls compared to platinum or iridium plugs.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

I'm the irate horse watching helplessly as its metaphorical and literal death crawls chugs closer

can I bbe mod next?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've got my TV running through my childhood stereo, watching GitS, eating mug cake, and am going through puberty.

Feels like 2004 again but with better resolution.

(Also I found a correct power transistor but I'm going to run the current one until/if it blows, already have belts coming in for the tapedecks)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 2, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Previa_fun posted:

can I bbe mod next?

depends who are you in the pic

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

I fell into this trap when people started chatting about it. It was disappointing at best. I quite like the Stella cidres though, the pear one is so refreshing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh hello July chat thread how are you I plan on posting more this month and--

everdave posted:

Jesus man you're going to start paying that lawyer to be on retainer at this rate.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Having an ex try and gently caress you over is even more expensive and more to the point, mentaly debillitating

Totally, and it's worth the money, but it can be expensive enough to make "talk to a lawyer" not the first response to insane exes/spouses/baby mommas/daddies being more insane than usual

Adiabatic posted:

depends who are you in the pic

I'm the enigmatic, unlabeled bed that's being pulled by an entire family. Does that mean I'm going to become a real boy?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Old mout have a berries cider, I've one cooling in the fridge for later, will post a trip report.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

everdave posted:

"She claims."

If it's not in writing and signed by a judge, then it's her rear end when she doesn't drop off the kids right on time. Write everything down that she's saying and doing, with date and time. Take a breath, call your lawyer. If she or her mother have any particular vices it sounds as though they need to be documented, because they've made their warning shot.

(There's a part of me that thinks you should sell your guns for a dollar to someone who will simply hold them and sell them back for a dollar after it's all said and done. "Judge, I'm so committed to maintaining a healthy and safe household for these children that I sold all of my guns. Here's the bill of sale." But In Tennessee probably no one gives a poo poo except a vindictive ex-wife and her equally vindictive mother.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

All the coolest 17 year olds also added lager into it to make it into a proper Snakey B..

I can still remember how bad the hangovers were.... and the purple Vom..

It's a drink that should only exist when it is prepared by a barman called 'Dave' . It should not be a commerically-available product and it should definitely not be marketed as sophisticated in any way.
It's a bit like beer-and-cornflakes in that regards.

I would ask what the American equivalent of this is, but I remembered that you guys aren't allowed to drink alcohol until ou hit your mid-thirties.

Memento posted:

I would probably drink the gently caress out of at least one of these and then go "urgh that was way too sweet".
My first thought was that I must have forgotten to wash the glass out before pouring the cider after drinking a cherries'n'berries cordial - whihc is many ways was close to the truth

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I fell into this trap when people started chatting about it. It was disappointing at best. I quite like the Stella cidres though, the pear one is so refreshing.
I'll give that a try.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Old mout have a berries cider, I've one cooling in the fridge for later, will post a trip report.
Please.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've got my TV running through my childhood stereo, watching GitS, eating mug cake, and am going through puberty.
Is this a warning that your future posts are going to be 'Urrgh! Whateva. Cars are stupid. I'm going to my room. I HATE YOU!'?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cakesmith handyman posted:

My brother-in-law (wife's sister's husband) is from the West of England (Hereford) and he occasionally gets the two-liter bottles of Old Rosie Cloudy Cider from Dan Murphy's to remind him of home.

He says it reminds him why he moved out here in the first place.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Old Moot is nice.
Strongbow is utter cack. If you're going to buy a tin of hangover like that just nip to Aldi and get Taurus.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Can confirm Old Mout is good poo poo, berries is win. The kiwi and lime one is delicious but is brutally harsh on my stomach.

And there's a reason people refer to it as 'Wrongbow'

Oh and in Ireland they have one called Orchard Thieves, it is the single best cider I've had, that poo poo was so good. So of course I look for it in England and find it and buy a load. It's different. And rank. The Irish bottled stuff is just bang on, the English stuff complete trash.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 2, 2018

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

IOwnCalculus posted:

You kinda answered it yourself. If a new one is only $300, who is going to pay for parts and service on fixing one? Seems like nearly any repair would rapidly equal the replacement cost.

If they're like any small refrigerator I've ever seen, they may not even have refrigerant service ports.

Depending on the fault I'd personally at least give it a quick stab of the ol' AVE "can't gently caress it any worse". But then again I live in AZ so I would probably have about five minutes to do that before getting sent to the store to replace the fucker.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You could get a mini split system and take it when you leave.

ExplodingSims posted:

I guess as the thread HVAC/R tech here, yeah, you crazy bruh.

Nobody is really going to waste their time with a windowshaker, since pretty much any service for it is going to cost as much if not more than a unit.And for the most part, they're really not designed to be serviceable. Like, what is the issue, I'd assume it's not cooling, but is the blower blowing? Is it just not cooling?

Thanks for the confirmation. They're all "functional" but 2 out of the 4 aren't really cutting it for the rooms they're in. I wouldn't even be averse to taking it to a shop, but since no one does it. Guess I'm going to be in the hole for 2 new units. RIP.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

HVAC chat:

Mine is acting weird. When the outside temp is under 85, I'm measuring a 14 degree differential between intake and output. Condo will sit at 74 all day, but will run in low stage all day.

When outside temp is above 85, I'm measuring a 10 degree differential. Condo will sit at 76 all day long but HVAC will run in high stage all day long. Will not go any cooler.

Rooftop unit not showing any signs of icing.

Electric bill is not out of line - $200/mo for 1700 sq ft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm going to SSD my laptop, what's a good price and brand for a 240gb drive?

• Locked thread