Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah but how worthwhile are they?

Or is this a “do whatever you want, games not that hard” thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

no goof, atelier games are consistently pretty good (which is impressive because there are like 20 of them at this point and gust churns em out once a year), and have a pretty distinct kind of mentality to them. like they're usually pretty low key stories about girls that just want to become really good alchemists, and sometimes use alchemy solve some kind of personal crisis, but also making a lot of friends along the way and having fun. not a series with a lot of standard RPG big cataclysmic scenarios. and also they have about as much combat as most RPGs but the focus is always on collecting materials to craft things rather than just killing monsters for the sake of killing things

between the two of them I'd probably put octopath higher tho, but it is a difficult comparison sometimes because the atelier style is very appealing

The Colonel posted:

atelier is good

OK done, I'm gonna rent it. If it's a dud, I still have Captain Toad and Golf Story to tide me over.

I will never trust anyone in the thread again though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah but how worthwhile are they?

Or is this a “do whatever you want, games not that hard” thing?

Here's my VP1 advice. Spoilered stuff isn't really spoilers unless you're pretty strict about that stuff.

-Keep all the items at the end of dungeons
-Only send one hero to Freya per cycle, but try to send one matching her requests
-After recruiting each new einherjar, go back into their town and they'll usually point out some busted item you can pick up
-Max guts on everyone
-The real way to break the game is item transmutation. There's an item you can transmute into a key item that gives you tier two transmutation which is very powerful
-The item mentioned in the spoiler text is in a dungeon that you will never be directed to enter
-The true ending is very obtuse and will probably require a guide. If you want to try to figure it out on your own, the idea is to recover Lenneth's memories. The seal stat on her stat page shows the strength of the seal on them

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Haha, yeah. But you know, like Khimari or Freja or Fran or a moogle or whatever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

they were thinking they were going to get a lot more games because iirc each volume was supposed to have a different protag or somesuch.

Kinda. The original idea iirc was that they were going to have 6 games. The first 2 would be about Shion and her adventures and more-or-less what happened across the original trilogy but I guess spread across 2 games, then the next 2 would be from another character's view in another era, and then the last 2 would be another character in another era.

I think they had a design doc that got released to show what the original plan was, but I don't know if I'm remembering it correctly or not. Hopefully someone else who has a better grasp on this can clarify.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finished prey. It kinda petered out towards the end and I never really enjoyed any of the anti-grav stuff but it was a very cool environment and I enjoyed both the early game tense exploration/fear and the end game OP high speed slomo wrenchgod annihilation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpxX8RSBfTk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In Training posted:

I finished prey. It kinda petered out towards the end and I never really enjoyed any of the anti-grav stuff but it was a very cool environment and I enjoyed both the early game tense exploration/fear and the end game OP high speed slomo wrenchgod annihilation.

Mooncrash is really good too, although the volunteer's story mission sucks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Same

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

FirstAidKite posted:

I think they had a design doc that got released to show what the original plan was, but I don't know if I'm remembering it correctly or not. Hopefully someone else who has a better grasp on this can clarify.
You got it all right.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK done, I'm gonna rent it. If it's a dud, I still have Captain Toad and Golf Story to tide me over.

I will never trust anyone in the thread again though

I played Atelier Sophie on Steam and it was incredibly boring but people keep telling me it's one of the bad ones so I dunno

The new one has a girl with a gun so it's already objectively better but I'm still wary.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

boundry break running out of ideas

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Before you ask, one of them is Taintrunner

I was on vacation, but I accept this honor with pride

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

La mulana 2 is great

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, Metal Fatigue got rereleased on steam today. That game had some interesting ideas, like the quick build phase in the beginning and fighting on different planes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Slightly early
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864740

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel