Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Comptroll The Forums posted:

"its about respect! its about respect!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into Ty Cobb

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

rickiep00h posted:

As soon as players and managers catch the drift that they won’t get ejected they’ll argue any and everything because they’re gigantic children. The game would grind to a halt.

Unless people took something else from the “American ump enforces rules differently from the foreign league he’s in and it has predictable comedic results” story than I did, I dunno.

Sorry I don't want to derail much but, That article is from 1997 during the height of Japan boom scare and is dumb as gently caress. White people need to save baseball from THEM.

quote:

The Japanese and American versions of baseball are as different as sushi and a McDonald's fish sandwich: the same basic ingredients, but adapted to suit two extremely different cultures ... American major leagues are filled with strong personalities and flashy individual performances. Japanese baseball is cautious and dominated by group behavior, with lots of sacrifice bunts, endless on-field conferences and plodding strategy in games that routinely last four hours.

"I don't think I'm going to save Japanese baseball or Japanese umpiring over here in one season. This is probably a first good step. Maybe they're recognizing that they need to change."

Di Muro doesn't speak Japanese and the catcher didn't speak English, but they understood each other.

Maybe I am reading to much into. :shrug:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Outstanding Raul Ibanez tribute

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I guess maybe I’m asking too much in a thread where the NPB is routinely referred to as AAAA and its players are regularly fetishized (in a sport where ethnicity, especially on the west coast, is used as a marketing tactic) that my equally-ridiculous suggestion and hyperbolic follow-up would not be taken at face value. Especially when the original mention was “they should make a movie of this story.”

I guess I done Poe’s Lawed myself.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

rickiep00h posted:

I guess maybe I’m asking too much in a thread where the NPB is routinely referred to as AAAA and its players are regularly fetishized (in a sport where ethnicity, especially on the west coast, is used as a marketing tactic) that my equally-ridiculous suggestion and hyperbolic follow-up would not be taken at face value. Especially when the original mention was “they should make a movie of this story.”

I guess I done Poe’s Lawed myself.

Uh there is a lot going on in this post, but you do realize that this the consensus opinion of most knowledgeable baseball people right? Its not like, a weird opinion at all.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I'm going to Japan later in the year and we're going to see a game, Chunichi Dragons and Hanshin Tigers in Nagoya. I'm very excited.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tampa Bay Rays continue to fail at tanking beating the Yanks and Astros in successive series because gently caress me I guess.

I actually feel bad for teams who are in competitive races that have to play us and its like 50/50 chance you face the team with lock down defence, pitching and clutch hitting or the team that has 1 decent starting pitcher and no outfielder hitting above .200.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

What an insane weekend of baseball Twins @ Cubs, roughly a billion runs scored.

The Cubs gave up 25 runs in a 3-game series and still won every game.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol the rays took 3/4 from the Astros while the athletics beat up on the Indians. Owns.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'll say that my expectations for the Rays did not involve them being above .500 in July. They're fun as hell though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fat man triple

https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2018/07/01/2220316783/1530481107240/asset_2500K.mp4

If the Twins are gonna be bad I hope they keep this guy up all year and let him play

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
N: Six times in major league history, three teams have won 100 games in the same season, but never four. The Seattle Mariners, with the fourth best record in the AL, are on pace for ~100 wins.

V: It's going to be a very cool second half. I want two 100 win teams in the AL WC game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Luis Severino is a killing machine and I love him a lot.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

screaden posted:

I'm going to Japan later in the year and we're going to see a game, Chunichi Dragons and Hanshin Tigers in Nagoya. I'm very excited.

I saw a game in Japan with Mr. Fix It and it was amazing.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
question about rosters. Say I have Joe in AAA and Bob in the majors. Can I switch them back and forth every day between the teams? Is there a limit how often you can move people back and forth? (For this question assume regular season and ignore travel logistics).

There's too many rules I don't know what's going on

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If you send someone down to AAA, you have to wait 10 days before you can call them back up. However, you can recall them immediately if there’s an injury and someone has to go on the DL

Most players that are coming up for the first time have options, meaning that a team can send them up and down without exposing them to waivers where any team can claim them. Typically, young players have three option years, but no one is really sure as to what those eligibility rules are. Rule of thumb is that this only affects your marginal players and not really your star young pieces

Hope that helps

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yes that helps thanks for the info

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Carlosologist posted:

If you send someone down to AAA, you have to wait 10 days before you can call them back up. However, you can recall them immediately if there’s an injury and someone has to go on the DL

Most players that are coming up for the first time have options, meaning that a team can send them up and down without exposing them to waivers where any team can claim them. Typically, young players have three option years, but no one is really sure as to what those eligibility rules are. Rule of thumb is that this only affects your marginal players and not really your star young pieces

Hope that helps

So when a player is put on the 40 man roster they will have 3 option years. A option year is used if they spend 20 or more days on a minor league roster. As long as they have option years they can move freely between Majors and the lower levels as much as a team wants. Once all option years are used in order to move a player to the minor leagues the player is put on irrevocable waivers, if no team claims the player they can be moved or traded. But if the Player has five years of major league service time he can refuse demotion and the only thing a team can do is trade, or cut that player.

I love baseball transaction rules. I can't wrap my head around European Soccer. Reserve teams, Under 21 clubs, Loans, And transfer window. :psyboom:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
do you think the Orioles will be relegated to AAA

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

do you think the Orioles will be relegated to AAA

ohh yeah. A one game loser gets relegated to AAAA Japan playoff with the Royals. :getin:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

rickiep00h posted:

So, Twins. How bout that Lance Lynn, eh? Great pickup, huh?

Why didn’t they look into the future and see he’d have unprecedentedly bad season?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Milovan Drecun posted:

Why didn’t they look into the future and see he’d have unprecedentedly bad season?

Good thing the Cubs signed Tyler Chatwood.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

JoeCL posted:

The Nats aren't very good and aren't gonna make the playoffs.

I'm sad and frustrated, but at least we can enjoy watching Juan Soto be awesome even if the rest of the team stinks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ScottyJSno posted:

I love baseball transaction rules. I can't wrap my head around European Soccer. Reserve teams, Under 21 clubs, Loans, And transfer window. :psyboom:

its way, way less complicated than baseball. like an order of magnitude

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ScottyJSno posted:

Baseball has all these already, apart from loans. AAA is basically reserves and youth teams combined.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The movement rules in baseball are pretty simple, it's just that finding people's eligibility for certain things is nigh-impossible for us laypeople.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

The movement rules in baseball are pretty simple, it's just that finding people's eligibility for certain things is nigh-impossible for us laypeople.

The most important person in the entire Cubs blogsophere is AZPhil, who keeps track of their 40 man roster and 60 day DL in incredible detail and it's going to be really sad when he decides to stop.

https://www.thecubreporter.com/cubs-40-man-roster

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

The most important person in the entire Cubs blogsophere is AZPhil, who keeps track of their 40 man roster and 60 day DL in incredible detail and it's going to be really sad when he decides to stop.

https://www.thecubreporter.com/cubs-40-man-roster

Yeah, that's really nice. Finding option years left or Rule 5 eligibility is a complete shitshow 99% of the time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, that's really nice. Finding option years left or Rule 5 eligibility is a complete shitshow 99% of the time.

After I posted that, I remembered Roster Resource. It does a pretty good job of giving succinct information (there's a column for R5 Eligibility/Options) but any of these sources could be wrong, too.

https://rosterresource.com/mlb-new-york-yankees

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

After I posted that, I remembered Roster Resource. It does a pretty good job of giving succinct information (there's a column for R5 Eligibility/Options) but any of these sources could be wrong, too.

https://rosterresource.com/mlb-new-york-yankees

:aaaaa:

Thank you for this.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The best way to learn all the wacky baseball roster rules is to play OOTP Baseball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The best way to learn all the wacky baseball roster rules is to play OOTP Baseball.

100% accurate.

Also it's international signing day!

https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/1013770168265134080

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just learned that Chris Davis is under contract for 4/92. He comes off the books at the end of 2022. Holy poo poo that contract.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just learned that Chris Davis is under contract for 4/92. He comes off the books at the end of 2022. Holy poo poo that contract.

He has deferred payments of $3.5M annually from 23-32, then $1.4M annually from 33-37.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Monthly reminder that Dan Duquette got tricked into bidding against himself and giving Davis an extra $30 million or so when he was a free agent.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What are the largest contracts that just ended up getting eaten? Boston's contract with Sandoval and the last couple years of A-Rod's are the biggest ones that come to mind for me.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Shiroc posted:

What are the largest contracts that just ended up getting eaten? Boston's contract with Sandoval and the last couple years of A-Rod's are the biggest ones that come to mind for me.

Josh Hamilton's last 3 years of his Angels contract totaled $78M, that might be the most unless you're willing to count the last 6~ year's of Pujols' contract as them eating it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Both the Mariners and the Astros have the day off today. I guess I’ll watch the Pirates?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
N: Edwin Diaz has entered the game with a lead 40 times this year. The Mariners are 40-0 in those games. He's blown three saves, but the Mariners managed to come back and win all of them.

V: :stare:

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Shiroc posted:

Dodgers cut Carl Crawford with a couple years and like $34 million left on his contract.

• Locked thread