Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So what happened to Fowler besides not hitting in front of Kris Bryant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

With Johan Camargo on fire the only thing i think the Braves need at the deadline is bullpen help....but they need a LOT of it. Winkler, Minter and Vizcaino are propping up six feet of trash

This is why I'm surprised Herrera went for so little. There are a lot of teams in need of bullpen help.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeepDickPizza posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1015319657866256386

This guy is modern baseball's finest absolute dipshit.

Remember all those article about how he was some intellectual?

In the book The Arm they talked about his weird training regimen and how it was supposed to improve command. Then followed up by how he led the league in BB/9 the next season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Baez wasn't a great defender when the Cubs drafted him. Most of the talk was that he wasn't good enough to stick at SS despite his great arm. Think he had some disastrous season in the minors where he made close to 50 errors. Now he's probably the best all-around defender in the game.

Edit: beaten

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cubs need starting pitching way more than another bat. Machado is a definite upgrade but it doesn't matter if they're throwing out Chatwood and Montgomery in playoff games.

I'd rather the Cubs use Russell in a deal to get Archer and then try and sign Machado as a free agent in the offseason. The Cubs have a lot of position player depth to survive losing Russell.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 8, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Definitely, and the Cubs also have better 5th starter options like I mentioned in the GDT (e.g. Butler, Farrell, Smyly, Zastzrzrzynzyz, Underwood, literally anyone but Chatwood at this point) but like half of them are injured at any one time plus Darvish.

It's not just the 4th/5th starter spot. Hendricks and Quintana have been really mediocre this year. Lester has been terrific but is likely going to regress a bit in the 2nd half.

Sure the Cubs have a good shot at making the playoffs regardless of what happens. But they need to find someone who can give them 5 solid innings besides Lester in a playoff game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Debatable. Machado's offense has fallen off significantly in the past couple months and he's loving awful defensively at SS. Long term sure, but without the guarantee of an extension he's just not worth Russell at the moment.

e. Also Archer has been loving awful this year, also injured. If the Cubs are going to give up their GG-calibur SS who's actually hitting fairly well this season and has years of TC remaining, I'd like them to go all in on a legitimate ace instead of whatever the gently caress Archer is doing this year. Let's not pull another Quintana trade.

Machado's offense is worth it. That lineup would be scary. I also think you could limit Machado's time at SS. Bryant can play LF or RF against lefties while Machado moves to 3B. You can move Bryant to LF, Machado to 3B, and Baez to SS late in games. My guess is Machado would only be at SS 50% of the time.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Wrigley is by far the worst baseball stadium ive ever been to. The place is a loving dump.

Have you been since the renovations? I mean it was a dump 10 years ago when concrete was falling on people but it's pretty nice now.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also could a pitcher throw it that hard aiming upwards? Pitchers are throwing off a mound with a downward angle.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I guess the running headstart would make it easier. Guys can hit 110 with a running start.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm also wondering if this glass would make it hotter inside? I feel like there is a reason we don't have a lot of glass roofs in the South.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

It will absolutely increase the thermal load on the stadium and the cooling requirements of the HVAC system yes. It's a giant greenhouse.

I was thinking about the Mall of America that has a lot of glass on the roof. It auto-tints which I believe helps in the Summer but it also allows them to not need central heating all the way up in Minnesota. Glass roofs seem like a better idea in the North where Summer is short.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/suntimes_sports/status/1016789393003163648

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The format for the derby was great. Maybe should make it 3 minutes for the first and second round so guys don't get gassed at the end but I loved it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I used to be anti-DH. But as I get older it sucks to watch a bunch of guys get on base and then some skinny rear end pitcher come up and dink one back to the mound. I hate watching the 8th hitter get intentionally walked. I hate the sacrifice bunt.

The DH means more offense and most importantly more fat guys hitting dingers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Poque posted:

Expand rosters to 28, make the DH universal, but make it so you have to change your DH when you change your pitcher so managers still actually have to do some thinking

Then you'll just get 10 pitching changes a game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

We all rightfully complain about baseball not making their stars actual stars, but I have to admit it would be easier to market Trout if his off field interests were more interesting than "weather geek."

e: He's an extremely good weather geek by the way, I don't mean to disparage anything the man does.

It would be helpful if MLB didn't go on a rampage to take-down every cool video that finds its way on social media.

And I know they've gotten better but they basically made the sport dead to anyone on social media for a decade.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I can sort of understand the homophobic slurs because that poo poo is way more common as a teenager. But the rest is hosed up. I said dumb poo poo at 17 too but not like that. And not broadcasting it to the world.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TeamSterlo/status/1019431287550038017?s=19

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Well Happ is starting in CF tonight over Almora so enjoy your victory tonight at least.

Happ is good.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think MVP voting has been pretty good of late. Donaldson over Trout in 2015 was bad. And same goes for Cabrera over Trout in 2013. But outside of screwing Trout over, it's been good the last 6 or so years.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1019964731879247874?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I just don't see how this is happening. The whole rationale behind the Cubs trade strategy this year was that they'd make up for their complete lack of a farm by trading away a young MLB piece in Happ, Almora, or Russell. That makes sense for a big splash trade, but I don't see Theo parting with a 25 man guy for a Britton rental, and I don't see the Orioles being enticed enough by any Cubs prospects to trade them Britton over other competing teams that could use the bullpen help (read: basically all of them).

Is Britton really going to bring back a big haul? He hasn't shown to be good in 2 years. He makes a lot of money this season. I feel like his value at this stage is some low level prospects if the new team is going to eat his remaining salary.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

It's less about a big haul and more about him being a target of many other competing teams, all of whom have more to offer than the Cubs unless Theo is actually going to trade away a 25-man guy for two months of Britton. Even if he only costs one of a team's top 30 prospects + some lotto tickets, the Yankees, Astros, Brewers, Dodgers, Cardinals, Indians, Mariners, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, and Nationals all have better top 30 guys and lotto tickets to provide.

He's not going to trade away a 25-man guy with years of team control for half a season of Zach Britton who he'll have to pay $4 million for. You're way overvaluing Britton when there are so many good relievers available and many with years of team control.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Miz Kriss posted:

Is Almora still on family emergency leave?

No, he was just activated. Happ is probably starting because he has hit Carlos Martinez really well.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone else hate how ESPN has to cut to a close-up of some fan whenever something happens in a baseball game? Basically a basehit and then a cutaway to one fan clapping into the camera instead of watching the runner go from 1st to 3rd or the reaction of the players.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Just an extra competent arm to use the last 2 months so they don't completely burn out Cishek and Strop. Not sure what the big deal is. Would rather have him eating some innings than Norwood or Hancock.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I just realized Baseball Reference doesn't let people sponsor pages anymore. I used to love doing that back in the day.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/STL_Cards_nut/status/1020844289608347653

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Apparently they think he picked it up working with kids over the ASB:

https://twitter.com/ByJamesWagner/status/1021141555476860930

The loving Mets

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/atf13atf/status/1021110170380898304?s=19

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently the Cubs and D-Backs are also in the mix, with the Cubs inquiring about a package deal with Britton and either Bundy or Gausman.

Cubs would have to give up a major league talent. Russell makes sense but I'd be all over Happ if I was the Orioles.

I still don't see why Britton has commanded so much. He's been good of late but he's still coming off a pretty serious injury and is no sure thing. There seem like a lot of relievers on the market that would help. Iglesias, Yates, Soria, Bach, and Clippard.

I think with how finnicky bullen arms are I'd rather take a swipe at 2 lesser relievers instead of hoping Britton finds his previous form for a high price.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

So obviously there's no official word but reading between the lines this sure as hell sounds like Bryant has torn something and needs surgery or at the very least a very long rest period to fully fix the shoulder issue:

https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/1021878076911824896

Probably a partially torn rotator cuff. Would make sense of it constantly nagging and the Cubs just trying to deal with pain management at this point. Plus his lack of power fits right in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kirios posted:

woof, that's three top 30 prospects for a relief rental with a lot of question marks.

Maybe a Yankee fan can chime in but from what I see, none of those guys really project to be top of the rotation guys. And they seem like older prospects which probably wouldn't have made an impact on the MLB roster.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought Eovaldi would go for more. Starting pitching market is thin. :shrug:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Was looking up Hamels numbers and I didn't realize that Arlington was such a hitters paradise. It's right up there with Coors.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

I mean it's not like it's just Arlington. He still has a ~4 FIP in away parks, and as Inspector pointed out his hard contact has skyrocketed and his GB% has plummeted over the last three seasons. I don't think he's going to suddenly rediscover his front of the rotation upside or anything, but if he can be an innings eating 4-5 type he's miles ahead of Chatwood.

He is better than Chatwood and the Cubs don't have to give up anything but money.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

are the Cubs gonna have room for Hamels once Darvish comes back

Darvish is still probably a month away and they can just move Montgomery to the pen or go with a 6-man rotation. The team has talked about giving Lester some rest in the second half if they can.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Enjoy Des Moines Tyler!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nationals probably should have beaten the Cubs in the NLDS. Some wonky poo poo beat them that I'd consider more bad luck than Dusty's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dusty still should have gone to the mound to settle Prior down.

• Locked thread