Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I’d love to see a Japanese ump come over here and see how long it takes for the players to walk all over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So, Twins. How bout that Lance Lynn, eh? Great pickup, huh?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ScottyJSno posted:

Easy now that's a big brush to be painting with.

As soon as players and managers catch the drift that they won’t get ejected they’ll argue any and everything because they’re gigantic children. The game would grind to a halt.

Unless people took something else from the “American ump enforces rules differently from the foreign league he’s in and it has predictable comedic results” story than I did, I dunno.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I guess maybe I’m asking too much in a thread where the NPB is routinely referred to as AAAA and its players are regularly fetishized (in a sport where ethnicity, especially on the west coast, is used as a marketing tactic) that my equally-ridiculous suggestion and hyperbolic follow-up would not be taken at face value. Especially when the original mention was “they should make a movie of this story.”

I guess I done Poe’s Lawed myself.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Even as someone who is a smug rear end in a top hat SJW with a ton of gender rage, it is plainly obvious that a baseball team would go "lol stand on this bucket" and the player in question would go "lol i'ma stand on a bucket" and loving everyone involved would lose their poo poo because honestly, it's just dumb enough to be funny. You want toxic masculinity, go find a smashed phone or Gatorade cooler. It ain't hard to find.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I love me some Twins homerism, but there's random donks on the Twins FB actually trying to make the argument that Rosario should be in over Betts, Judge, and Trout.

Being a Twins fan can lead to making some silly, silly statements (*points to self*), but man, I have no idea how fuckin' stupid you have to be to argue your dude who is having a pretty good year is better than a dude having the best year of his life, a literal freak of nature, and a dude who may end up being the best outfielder who ever lived. I just... I don't get it. (And that's not even factoring in three of the largest markets in the country.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

He should have made the team in general, Haniger and Springer making the team over him is bad

I thought for sure he'd be the charity pick, and I wouldn't mind a reserve at all (see also Cuddyer on his Twins AS selection), but these people legit thought the Twins fandom would vote him to a starting position.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Charity pick implies he doesn't deserve to be there on his own merit. Dude has an OPS just shy of .900 and plays great defense on top of it.

Who else would the Twins send but Rosario and Berrios, the latter of whom doesn’t get voted in anyway? He’s the most obvious candidate for that. It’s a position the Twins have been in for almost a decade.

I’m not arguing at all that he doesn’t belong there, but he’s absolutely not going to be a starter, which was my original point. And unfortunately he’s probably going to he blown out in the Final Vote by bigger market guys.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

And that’s cool and good!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'd have to think that guys known for their arms (especially outfielders) could probably chuck one over the fence pretty easily. Pitchers should be able, too, I'd think, though obviously with different mechanics.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Javy should get a special derby where he has to draw walks instead of mash dongs.

From here on I'm referring to the intentional walk rule as the Baez rule.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Your Taint posted:

I mean honestly would any of those guys be hurting if they were getting 154/162nds of their current salary?

That's in the neighborhood of 5%. So I guess it depends on the player? Or the actual severity of the pay cut, because if it's more than that 5%, I wouldn't go for it, either.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that's what the response was, too. Okay, we'll shorten the season 5%, but we're going to take 7.5% (or whatever) of your pay.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Plouffe was the guy the Twins got rid of so they could send Sano back down to Single A a couple years later.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

This is an abomination of the very worst kind.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pressly to Houston for another RHP and another OF.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

seiferguy posted:

It's kind of hilarious (and maybe sad) that there's a step by step playbook when someone discovers old racist tweets of yours now.

I think we are all still recovering from boys trying to be edgelord tryhards in middle / high school. God knows I was. Thank God I didn't have Twitter then.

The whole point is to try to point out to kids not to be edgelord tryhards because being one makes you a lovely person at least then if not now. You don't have to unlearn that conditioning if it wasn't there to begin with.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'd like to point out that Twins Facebook posters are loving magical. Every move is somehow the wrong one. I mean it's probably like that on every team's FB presence but the level of delusion over there is just mindboggling. "Fire the FO and get us a good team!" *Pohlads hire Falvey/Levine, who proceed to rebuild the team in a pretty standard fashion* "NOT LIKE THAT!"

The double whammy of working for Pohlad and dealing with the Twins' weirdo fanbase has to be stressful as all get-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

will_colorado posted:

this would be a challenge even playing OOTP

At least in OOTP winning = tickets sold. Unless they handicap TB to be more realistic.

• Locked thread