Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Cardinals President of Baseball Operations John Mozeliak tore into Dexter Fowler in a radio interview

Mozeliak posted:

“It’s been a frustrating year for everybody involved. Here’s a guy who wants to go out and play well. I think he would tell you it’s hard to do that when you’re not playing on a consistent basis. But I’ve also had a lot of people come up to me and question his effort and his energy level. You know, those are things that I can’t defend. What I can defend is trying to create opportunities for him, but not if it’s at the expense of someone who’s out there hustling and playing hard. And really I think everyone just needs to take a hard look in the mirror, and decide what they want that next chapter to look like. And in Dexter’s case, maybe taking a brief time out, trying to reassess himself, and then give him a chance for a strong second half is probably what’s best for everybody. I’m hopeful to touch base with him in the near future and decide what makes the most sense, but clearly he’s not playing at the level we had hoped.”

V: Free Fowler and gently caress the loving Cardinals holy poo poo what is wrong with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Get it done Cubs, he literally cannot be worse than Chatwood:

https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/1013498036356599810

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He's also a defensive nightmare which probably put a damper on for NL teams. In the 33 games Boston has started him in the OF instead of DH he's already put up -1.1 dWAR and -6 DRS.

e. I was originally going to say "so any NL team getting him would be willingly accepting a Schwarber situation" but then I checked and Schwarber has 8 DRS, 8 Assists, only one Error and has been worth 0.5 dWAR so far this season.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 4, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pretty sure all of Schwarber's defensive value this season is tied up in his high assist count, which is entirely a product of the scouting report on his defense being not very flattering and guys underestimating his actually pretty strong arm. That he has as many DRS as assists (8) lays credence to this.

Like don't get me wrong, he's certainly improved his defense this year, but that's insofar as he's gone from "complete loving disaster" to "stereotypical corner OF power bat who can play passable to average defense".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd just like to once again thank Trevor Bauer for deciding to attempt precision repair work with sharp metal objects and not protecting his pitching hand in the process just before the biggest games of his life, and handing the Cubs two wins on route to their World Series championship. :byewhore:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Well I guess that explains how he was finally able to stay healthy this season. :sigh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

Knuckleballs are the best pitch and I will not tolerate any hatred of them.

:same: with the exception of Steven Wright, on account of him using his knuckles on his wife instead of baseballs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I still can't believe there's actually a guy playing in the MLB named Jake Cave. He sounds like he should be on the list with Mike Truck and Bobson Dugnutt.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

Machado is a definite upgrade

Debatable. Machado's offense has fallen off significantly in the past couple months and he's loving awful defensively at SS. Long term sure, but without the guarantee of an extension he's just not worth Russell at the moment.

e. Also Archer has been loving awful this year, also injured. If the Cubs are going to give up their GG-calibur SS who's actually hitting fairly well this season and has years of TC remaining, I'd like them to go all in on a legitimate ace instead of whatever the gently caress Archer is doing this year. Let's not pull another Quintana trade.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

Machado's offense is worth it. That lineup would be scary. I also think you could limit Machado's time at SS. Bryant can play LF or RF against lefties while Machado moves to 3B. You can move Bryant to LF, Machado to 3B, and Baez to SS late in games. My guess is Machado would only be at SS 50% of the time.

Machado just gave an interview saying he wants to play SS long term and won't move back to 3B. Yeah his offense is fantastic, but you'll have to pair it with his garbage SS defense.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mexican Radio posted:

Didn't see this posted, but recent articles say seven teams are in the mix for Machado.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-deadline-orioles-reportedly-have-seven-offers-for-machado-including-one-from-dodgers/amp/

"The Orioles have received offers from the Los Angeles Dodgers, Arizona Diamondbacks, Milwaukee Brewers, Philadelphia Phillies, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians and Chicago Cubs, and the offers rank in that order of appeal, according to the source."

The source here is absolutely Dan Duquette, and he is clearly trying to get teams to up their offers. He is so going to gently caress this up. Orioles will get dog piss jones for Machado at best. Letting him move to short and undercut his value was genius.

Good, I'll be super pissed if the Cubs trade actual assets for a Machado rental. If he really wants so badly to play with his BFF Almora, the Cubs can sign him in the offseason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Today I've learned when it comes to gender currency I'm broke as poo poo.

e;f,b

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One of the reasons I washed out of baseball aside from the fact that my fastball was hot garbage was that I maxed out at 5' 9" by 6th grade and never grew an inch after. Was more or less told point blank by several coaches that my height wasn't going to fly even for a LHP.

Naturally the year after I hung it up Lincecum debuted :v: I'd lost interest at that point but I did really smugly point out he won a Cy listed at 5' 11" to one of the coaches.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How the gently caress did Javy close a 100k+ vote gap. El Mago indeed. :swoon:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Contreras has a higher fWAR than both Cervelli and Posey, but he's actually second among NL catchers behind Realmuto, who is having an amazing year for a team that no one gives a poo poo about.

Realmuto also doesn't have enough PA's to qualify. Which if anything makes it even more impressive that he's leading NL catchers in WAR.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Homerism aside Suarez, Gennett, and Realmuto deserve to be starters on the NL roster, but they play for garbage time teams and the ASG is a popularity contest at it's core. That said Almora and Zobrist also deserved to make it, at least over Harper who honestly hasn't been that great this year, but :shrug:

Aren't there additional players who are going to make it into the reserves because the players get to select guys as well?

e. Also I'm glad Kemp got in and I'm legit pulling for him to win NL MVP this year so he can take the award and bash Ryan Braun's loving brains in with it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Baez over albies is dumb but its a popularity contest, who cares

Albies: .282/.321/.516, 8 SB, 18 HR, 123 wRC+, 3.3 WAR
Baez: .294/.327/.565, 16 SB, 17 HR, 132 wRC+, 3.1 WAR

You're not wrong that it's a popularity contest but honestly it's not that dumb. They're pretty neck and neck.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Comptroll The Forums posted:

The problem with the ASG is its the best pitchers and the best batters. There should be an ASG dingerfest where the best bats go up against the shittiest bullpen arms, followed by the ASG own-zone where the best starters mow down all the lovely utility players and backup catchers.

See I'd watch the poo poo out of this. Ditto for a NPB-style bunting contest and a HRD that only features old fat DH's who have to circle the bases after each HR. Yes, the clock keeps going while they're circling, run it out boys :getin:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Welp I just dropped way more money than I should have to get good seats for the Cubs game tomorrow at AT&T. It'd be cool if Hendricks chose tomorrow to stop being a dumpster fire.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

jit bull transpile posted:

Having just done my stadium trip to AT&T, I advise you to eat before the game because all their food uses way too much fuckin cornmeal and it will leave an aglutenated rock in your guts.

I visited AT&T for the first time last year. It was as I was passing the Napa Valley wine bar cart eating my organic chicken breast sandwich that I thought "Oh yeah, I'm in northern California". :v:

e. The park is loving beautiful though and if it weren't so expensive I'd go to Giants games contantly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My AT&T story is that I got there early enough for batting practice, and the Cubs were on the field. Bryant was hiting balls all over the place, some foul, some HR's, etc. After a bit he stepped out of the cage and Rizzo stepped in. On the first BP pitch he sent one over the wall into the bay. He turned and gave the biggest poo poo eating grin to Bryant imaginable, then when the BP pitcher went to throw another Rizzo held up his hand to say "no I'm good" and walked out of the cage staring at Bryant. :allears:

Naturally Rizzo went 0-4 that game. :v:

e. Also I got to see a Javy inside the park HR in person which was incredible.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 9, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Wake me up when Baez is on pace for more than like 23 walks in a season.

Enjoy your life long rest.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Monkey Wrangler posted:

I was watching a game the other day where a home run had an exit velocity of 100.9. That got me thinking: Could Chapman etc. theoretically throw a ball from home plate over the wall? If it's just exit velocity and launch angle, I don't see why not, but it's been years since I took a physics class.

bewbies posted:

Hell yes you can

bo jackson could throw a ball over them mountains

I propose an alternative version of the HRD where instead of batters facing each other, they face a flamethrowing pitcher and whoever gets the most total distance across their HR's/throws wins. Only dingers and balls that make it over the wall count.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Cervelli and Grandal would've been more deserving to replace Posey.

Yeah but the league already hands Molina everything on a silver platter, why not add an ASG nod on top?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I can't throw too much shade because my team is owned by the Ricketts who are, apart from Laura, to a man unapologetic conservative shitheels. Still, poo poo sucks I actually respected Cashman as a GM but now gently caress 'em.

I mean Contreras is already better than him so the post looked pretty stupid anyway, might as well take it down.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Lumpy posted:

Why is a caught foul tip not an out with less than two strikes? My daughter asked me that one and the best I could do was "because reasons!"

I've never thought of that before but she's right, that's dumb as hell. It should be an out just like any other caught foul ball.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
ESPN has a good article (I know, I was shocked too) where they interviewed players about the shift and why it's so hard to beat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wasn't this all started by the Yankees asking about Machado to start the season and the Orioles telling them to get hosed?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tom Gorman posted:

Having a hitter potentially reach base on a dropped third strike is probably the dumbest rule in baseball and I have absolutely no idea what purpose it serves.

I've always considered it part of the weird moral undercurrent to MLB's rules. The catcher is supposed to catch the pitch. If he doesn't, then the he has to correct his mistake by recording the out at 1st.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hasn't he been dealing with UCL problems since 2016? I know he's tried his best to avoid TJS but at this point if he'd just gotten it when he initially had the tear he'd have been back and (hopefully) healthy by now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I've already had to put up with two super stars getting traded to NL Central rivals for peanuts, so as far as I'm concerned Machado landing on the Yankees is a massive improvement over any NL team.

Also because supposedly he also wants to go there in FA which will be an interesting clusterfuck since Didi is tearing it up, and Machado is a dumpster fire at SS but despite that has thrown several hissy fits to the media already about how "I'm a SS, wherever I end up, I'm going to play SS."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

gently caress Bud Norris.

Reminder

Bud Norris posted:

“This is America’s game. This is America’s pastime, and over the last 10-15 years we’ve seen a very big world influence in this game, which we as a union and as players appreciate. We’re opening this game to everyone that can play. However, if you’re going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years, and I think sometimes that can be misconstrued. There are some players that have antics, that have done things over the years that we don’t necessarily agree with. I understand you want to say it’s a cultural thing or an upbringing thing. But by the time you get to the big leagues, you better have a pretty good understanding of what this league is and how long it’s been around.’’

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
GG's have nothing to do with actual defensive ability and have everything to do with a) being flashy and b) being popular with the BBWAA. Eric Hosmer has consistently been a below average defender his entire career but he makes a lot of flashy scoops and is weirdly beloved by the old guard (see: starting over Paul loving Goldschmidt in the WBC) so he's spent his career drowning in GG's.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RCarr posted:

Is there any actual data to prove this stuff or is it just old man eye testing?

Depends on how much you ultimately believe defensive metrics. FWIW Hosmer has never posted a positive Fangraphs defensive value in his entire career. Despite this he has four GG's. Jeter's fangraphs defensive value was a bit more all over the place but was also pretty meh even if you ignore his last couple of years.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

It's pretty incredible because I'm not sure there's any player in baseball who's further from toxic masculinity than Enrique Hernandez.

https://twitter.com/kikehndez/status/1000553787625373696

I'm at work and can't post/find it but apparently a few weeks ago when the Dodgers were in Wrigley, he tweeted or IG'd a picture of a placard with "Utility" on it next to the door of a supply closet with the caption "Apparently when you hit three postseason HR's here they give you you're own office."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it's hard for an umpire to draw the line between a guy leaning into a pitch and guy who's gearing up to swing without realizing it's going to hit them until the last second and they get brushed in the shoulder/elbow unless it's blatantly obvious. IIRC I've only seen leaning called once and it was last year, when a guy clearly threw his arm out right over the heart of the plate to catch one without making any attempt at hiding it with a swing motion.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't know if it's been posted yet or not but apparently Kluber won't be available to pitch the ASG so Snell got the much deserving sub nod, which is cool and good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm the pitcher just standing with my arms crossed yelling "YEAH" as my CF saves my bacon with the catch of the year so far.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Holy poo poo congratulations Cardinals fans. Sincerely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Apparently they've already settled on a replacement?

e. Apparently he's the "interim manager"

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/1018333448140984320

• Locked thread