Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

iospace posted:

Better than what the Nats are paying out to Scherzer.

But please consider: gently caress Ryan Braun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I dunno about normalizes but you can look at team batting splits for men on and nobody on.

Obviously this brings in a lot of factors such as pitchers focusing on base runners, maybe pitching differently, shifts, etc. etc.

2018 Yankees with men on: 245/326/457
2018 Yankees with nobody on: 254/330/463
2018 Yankees with RISP: 245/338/427

Essentially the results are the same for the 2018 Yankess :shrug:

Edit: Doing this reminded me of the absurd 2013 Cardinals splits.

Men on: 313/376/463
Nobody on: 236/297/356
RISP: 330/402/463

That team was so dumb.

Didn’t Allen Craig hit .454 with RISP over the season? That was a really weird season. RiP Torty’s MLB career. :(

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

False. White Sox, Cardinals both were on the road both days, at least.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

elentar posted:

JD Drew was loving amazing for the Braves in 2004, probably the best single season of his career. Really missed that RF production (especially the walks) over the years and years of Francoeur that followed.

Definitely the best season of his career. I’m still happy we traded him for Waino, though.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Miz Kriss posted:

They were talking about minor league

I’m allowed to talk poo poo about my teams. :colbert:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Miz Kriss posted:

I’m pretty sure there are minor league teams that are doing better than the cardinals

Memphis Redbirds are 53-33. :negative:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Pussy Boss posted:

Johnny Cueto is pitching for the Giants tonight :)

gently caress Cueto.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

New Concept Hole posted:

Just brute forcing through the GG lists, Scott Rolen won a GG and is listed at 245 lbs by B-R

Also, Luis Castillo might be the lightest, at 145 lbs

Fattest would not include Scott Rolen. I will not tolerate you speaking ill of my beautiful hot corner boy.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I just have to post this. :allears:

Carlos Martinez is a goddamn treasure.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

An injured Yadier Molina had Jose Oquendo leave them at the plate for Bengie, who was the opposing catcher that game. I want to say it was June or July of 2014.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Nolan Gorman is already socking dingers. :smug:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GalacticAcid posted:

Do players ever improve at fielding or is it pretty much static

Albert did. Then he got worse again.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GalacticAcid posted:

All Star rosters are up, here.

No Cervelli, that sucks.

Good for Miles. I was rooting for him. It'd have been cool for Hicks to make it as well for BIG NUMBERS but he's super young. He should have other chances.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Homerism aside Suarez, Gennett, and Realmuto deserve to be starters on the NL roster, but they play for garbage time teams and the ASG is a popularity contest at it's core. That said Almora and Zobrist also deserved to make it, at least over Harper who honestly hasn't been that great this year, but :shrug:

Aren't there additional players who are going to make it into the reserves because the players get to select guys as well?

Initial player selections have already gone through I thought. Inevitably some players opt out and replacement players get selected. That's how Aledmys Diaz made the ASG two years ago.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I’m stuck in court and idly wondering: Any idea which player has the record for most positions played at an ASG over their career? I’d assume it’s be someone who started as CF, then corner, then 1B, but I really have no idea.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Yadi replaces Posey at the ASG due to injury.

V: The two sweetest words in the English language!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhvIISDoarU

E: I think that among active players he now trails only Miggy and Albert in ASG appearances. He has 9.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 10, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Yeah but the league already hands Molina everything on a silver platter, why not add an ASG nod on top?

I agree. Nothing good ever comes from Yadi at an ASG.

Thank god no one in this thread was posting in favor of his having fun or hitting well at the meaningless exhibition match last year.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

I dislike Yadi. I'd dislike him a whole lot less if he wasn't a Cardinal because he is exactly the kind of player bfib would poo poo on if he played anywhere else.

Disagree. Javy has garish tattoos and is awesome at baseball and he’s my favorite Cub other than Poque.

R.D. Mangles posted:

wouldn't mind an inning of yadi2baez in the all star game

I watch Yadi to Baez in the WBC sometimes and just smile.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Fun facts about today’s game:

RUNS
White Sox closed captioning calls Jace Fry “Chase Friday”, which sounds like a pulp detective.
Some random scalper right by the box office was telling people to buy from him rather than black people because “whites should stick together” and telling people not to be Democrats. I’ve also seen him wearing a “Fake News Network” t-short before. I have not, as of yet, taken a swing at him.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I assume all team owners and professional athletes are CHUD's until proven otherwise.

ChiTownEddie posted:

What the hell lol... Also I am impressed at your restraint.

After today's new bullshit I'll at least plan on calling him a racist piece of poo poo on my way in going forward.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Bird in a Blender posted:

Not really a Yadi fan, but I do love some good celebration gone wrong schadenfreude.

Now that I'm not phoneposting, celebrations gone terribly right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuiEAdveNE0

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Daniel Descalso has a *squints* 120 OPS+ in 266 PA's ????????

Pretending every day is 2012 NLDS Game 5 like a boss.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Epic High Five posted:

we live in a timeline beyond parody

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1017176170352316423

at least say like, Red Sox or something

Don't all postseason ticket purchases for season ticket holders just count as a mandatory purchase that then counts against your next season's amount due for any unused games? I know that in theory that's how it works with the White Sox but in practice, y'know, White Sox.

I assume he bought more seats for the postseason than he had season tickets, but still. Give me more details and wear the hat, Ashley.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

it is getting harder and harder to support pro athletes because i can't like anyone who is politically conservative

I just reread books about Curt Flood and sigh. :smith:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I was waiting for someone to post that because I didn't feel like doing so. gently caress Mike Matheny and gently caress Bud Norris.

Read it on the train ride to the game last night, kept rooting for a Hicks sinker to "slip" and nail Matheny in the rear end somehow.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jeterde01.shtml#all_hof_other

He was an all-time great shortstop even with his defensive deficiencies.

I think Jeter is one of the better offensive shortstops in baseball history but is disproportionately lauded because Yankees. He and Trammell seem very comparable to me in overall value.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Last night Albert went 3 for 4 with a walk and 2 home runs. A moment to just Albertpost: He's now tied with Griffey at 630 career home runs, next up is Willie Mays at 660, presumably sometime next year. He also has an outside shot at passing A-Rod (696) and getting to 700. He's currently tied with Rickey Henderson at 3,055 career hits. Biggio is next (3,060), he has a shot at also passing Ichiro (3,089) and A-Rod (3,115) this year for hits. Next year he probably passes Gwynn (3,141) and maybe gets past Ripken at 3,184. He's at 1,970 career RBI, already good for 7th all-time. By the end of the year he should pass both Gehrig (1,995) and Bonds (1,996), becoming only the 5th player ever to get 2,000 RBI's. He's currently 9th all-time in career total bases, at 5,611. Next on the list is Pete Rose at 5,752 and Babe Ruth at 5,793. He's also above 100 career WAR again.

V: Albert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHzflTsTPxk

E: Oh shoot, he tied Griffey against the Mariners, too.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Grittybeard posted:

Did we ever figure out how old he actually is?

I don't mean this as a mean Albertpost, just wondering how long he can keep going since he's clearly a shadow of his former self in any case, and if he's actually like 41 or something already that seems like bad news.

I think the general consensus from that one article earlier this year was about 2 years older than advertised. That would make him likely around 40.

Also the 2006 & 2007 MVP votes were loving shams.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Imagine thinking Albert could pass Ichiro

Has there ever been a year with a better RoY combination than 2001? 1956 had Frank Robinson and Aparicio, 1967 had Seaver and Carew, 1977 had Dawson and Murray. Still, I think Albert and Ichiro together make a hell of an argument.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

He does have the peak, MVP voting was still dogshit during his prime (but also his prime overlaps with that of Pujols). He was better than Jimmy Rollins the year Rollins won the MVP.

65 WAR puts him in solid HoF territory, and he's 10th all time on 2B JAWS, better than the average HoF'er at the position.

But his case isn't a slam dunk by traditional metrics (he doesn't even have 2000 hits) so I think it will take him some time to get in

If Chase Utley gets into the HoF and Scott Rolen doesn't I will be extremely angry.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Utley was better than notes MVPers Rollins and Howard

Like I was saying...

Pancakes posted:

Also the 2006 & 2007 MVP votes were loving shams.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

I'm happy about it because Max Scherzer is not allowed to have any career achievements that Clayton Kershaw lacks :colbert:

Already has a CY in both leagues though.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

I can understand trying to teach kids how to properly get hit by a pitch (turning your backside into the pitch) using wiffle balls or something. But any coach that's trying to teach kids to actively get hit is an idiot and shouldn't be coaching.

Let me tell you about Harrison Bader's dad...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Cardinals bad, should sell.
V: Do they even have any pieces they should realistically sell?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Troxartas posted:

Uh is Ozuna having a good year? Just checked, not really.
Gyorko and is an infielder with some pop, and has this year and next on his deal.
Maybe Norris? There's always a borderline/playoff team looking for arms as a rental.

Gyorko, Carpenter and Norris seem like the only possible selling pieces from the 25-man to me. Wong would be selling low with a long time of club control remaining, ditto DeJong. Mikolas only has another year left but he eats too many innings, same for Wacha, plus he'd be selling low most likely given the injury.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
My blind guess is that the BestFans crowd will blame this on snowflake millennials like Hicks not being willing to Play the Game the Right Way and running out a decent Christian man who was also misunderstood by Fowler because of "cultural differences". How close am I?

Tom Gorman posted:

I'm so loving happy right now

:glomp:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I still want Oquendo to get a shot, be it with the Cards or somewhere else.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Any plan that takes David Eckstein away from supporting his wife's adorable Scifi business is haram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

howe_sam posted:

Learning that Eckstein is married to Ashoka was one of the bigger "wait, what" moments for me in recent memory.

The fact that he quit baseball early to help support her career makes me like Eckstein even more. That it worked and her career took off more afterwards is just icing on the nerd cake.

• Locked thread