Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves brought up Michael Reed, who by consensus is Not A Prospect but has been hitting everything at Gwinnett, as well as DL'ing Peter Moylan finally and bringing up Evan Phillips, maybe even to pitch this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Greg Bird seems like he should be better than he often is.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

that clip needs some morning DJ, blooper highlight compilation sound effects

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Unless the Braves can get and immediately extend Machado, anything for 3B is a waste. Get bullpen pitching for god’s sake. Convert starting pitching prospects into a starting pitcher if you must. But don’t take on salary and lose potential for what is at best a lateral move.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Marquis Grissom was so cool, I've never seen somebody with as much range in center

the Braves had a run of absurdly rangy CFs, from Otis Nixon to Deion to pre-flab Andruw Jones

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Salvor_Hardin posted:

No one believes me when I tell them he put up back to back .900+ OPS seasons for the sox.

JD Drew was loving amazing for the Braves in 2004, probably the best single season of his career. Really missed that RF production (especially the walks) over the years and years of Francoeur that followed.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Soccer fields are very different in a lot of ways that make them maybe more similar to baseball in that regard: the distance from the stands to the field, the positions of the stands and the resulting acoustics, the cut and length of the grass, the amount the field has been allowed to deteriorate before resodding (this used to be a lot more divergence, but even with contemporary standards in place some teams let their penalty areas get really ragged), the curve of the field from side to side (for drainage purposes, some are actually a foot or two higher in the middle, although this too is changing with newer technologies), and the aforementioned squareness of the rectangle. Again as with baseball, groundskeeping is an extension of the strategy of the team in general.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Is anyone else in the majors overperforming their projections to Anibal Sanchez’s degree? Can’t think of one.

Camargo is all-around as good as Moustakas now and so much cheaper. I don’t get the fixation.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Folty was a great pitcher waiting to happen, his stuff is absurd but there were always the questions about his makeup and his efficiency leaving him too short in games. He’s mostly gotten a hold on the first and he’s getting better at the second, if he gets it all then he’ll win a Cy Young one of these years. (Note he is as much or more likely to lose it all again and be out of the majors by 2022.)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Irked because I will be in DC tomorrow but won’t have time to get to the game. On the upside I’m working in Maryland next school year so chances are good I’ll see one or another Braves games in DC between now and next July.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I remain astonished that every sports team—hell, every professional organization of this scale—doesn’t employ someone whose entire job is to dig into employees’ internet histories and quietly delete all this poo poo.

edit: also at least as of a year or two back, probably still today, Milwaukee was the most segregated large city in the country. As a state (non-Southern division), Wisconsin’s history of racism isn’t as lurid as Oregon’s or Indiana’s, but George Wallace polled very highly there and it’s obviously still a huge mess today. Drive through Janesville some time and count the Confederate flags.

elentar fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 22, 2018

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

What odds that Mr. Met contracts hydrophobia and has to be put down?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

TMMadman posted:

Haha wrong thread!

There 100% should be more baseball/kaiju crossover though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I kinda wish the Braves would make a play for Hamels, he can't cost all that much and worst case he ends up being the long relief guy the team desperately needs; best case he holds down a spot when someone else breaks or Sanchez implodes, etc.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I am glad the Braves didn’t overpay or pay at all for Moustakas and I hope they don’t add Archer or any other rental if it costs anyone potentially decent. (With the obvious exception of Beltre, get him on board.)

Joey Freshwater posted:

As a Braves fan Joe Simpson is terrible

also absolutely fire Joe Simpson or buy him out or whatever, the TV crew has been unlistenable for years and it’s getting steadily worse

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Archer wouldn't be a rental. He has a cheap deal for a couple more years.

Ah, that explains the asking price then.

Allard wouldn't be the worst to lose, although with Soroka and Gohara out he is maybe the closest to contributing.

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 29, 2018

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Really like Gohara and think he’s poised for a good few years after this. But god do the Braves need bullpen arms.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

In today’s installment of “why didn’t you pay someone to scrub this”: https://twitter.com/talkingchop/status/1023692381013594112

They’re not as bad as Hader’s and it’s good Newcomb addressed it immediately but his apology is bullshit and he should know—or someone in the org should loving tell him—that he has to do better than “I didn’t mean to offend anyone and I’ll be smarter.” That just sounds like you’re going to take your racism and homophobia private, which is probably what’s going to happen.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves bullpen overhaul might see them also calling up Touki Toussaint, who is awesome.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Really like the Duvall trade. AA has improved the team without giving up anybody with a future in Atlanta, and they might not actually need to add an expensive piece to grab the wild card lotto ticket.

Speaking of pitchers who need a change of scenery, I kind of half expect Teheran to get traded somewhere still. Can’t see him being a big part of the team plans going forward.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I wonder what else AA has up his sleeve if he's dumping three bad players off the 40 man like that.

Allard gets one spot, Touki might get another. Not completely out of the question to see Kyle Wright before September either.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves still not giving up much, which is good since that’s about what Gausman’s worth. Sad though that the wearer of this stache will not be making a debut for the Braves in 2018.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Oh poo poo Gausman AND Darren O'Day neat

O’Day is O’DL’ed and $9m for next year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Phillips looked hot in Gwinnett and everybody was waiting for his call up, then he arrived and didn't look great. The other three I think have all at one time or another been featured as the "guy who wasn't a top prospect who might be turning it on", but with the Braves farm system came pretty thorough coverage so you will hear the names of org filler guys. Maybe over of them turns into something in Baltimore.

Brett Cumberland has super weird peripherals, that’s all I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Watch our 19th-century sport, catch an 18th-century disease!

• Locked thread