Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I would love if the Cubs took on Fowler's contract at this point. I would also love if Mozeliak and company did a full-on rebuild because the team is going to finish .500 for the next decade at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

What about the time he shoved an umpire and tried to beat the poo poo out of him

This is an hilarious misrepresentation of what happened, if you're talking about earlier in the year.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Also Dexter Fowler is lazy and not a true Cardinal!

Deflect all you want, but there's no need to make up stuff about Yadi. He wanted to get into it with the opposing manager who accused him of whatever, the umpire was in the way and he pushed him a little. He didn't try to beat the poo poo out of the ump.

But I guess I'll take some BFIB ribbing from a fan of a team whose fans do a tomahawk chop chant.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 10, 2018

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Cardinals are going to continue plodding along at a .515 pace and remain 5 games out of the Central lead until August and Mozeliak is going to trade for a reliever and that will be it. I know it in my heart.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Not sure how accurate these stories are but it looks like Mike Matheny's clubhouse atmosphere remains awful

quote:

The game has changed since the years when rookies were afraid to open their mouths for fear of retribution from grumpy veterans and that is a good thing by most accounts, but vestiges of the old school remain. The relationship between the two best relievers on the St. Louis Cardinals is defined by one stubborn adherent of said old ways: closer Bud Norris.

The 33-year-old Norris has been mercilessly riding 21-year old rookie Jordan Hicks since spring training, reminding him to be at meetings on time and publicly calling him out when he is lagging in any of the details a visitor might not notice, but other players do.

Perhaps Hicks will one day appreciate the treatment?

”Probably not,” Cardinals manager Mike Matheny admitted with a chuckle. “But Bud’s going to continue to do what he thinks is right as a veteran, so you respect that.”

Matheny sees Norris’ actions as an effort to carry on the dying tradition of teaching younger players in the harshest possible ways....

”I think the game has progressively gotten a little softer,” Matheny said. “Man, it had some teeth not that long ago.”

Matheny said he has had conversations with Hicks to remind him that Norris’ badgering is a way to show he is invested in his success...

Hicks, the hardest throwing right-handed pitcher in baseball, isn’t a fan of the treatment. Asked if he thinks it will one day pay dividends in his career, he said, “I have no idea. No comment.”

Get this piece of poo poo out of the dugout already.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Wow I didn't think they'd actually do it, but I guess dropping three in a row to the White Sox and Reds will do that.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Think it might be worth thinking outside the box for a new manager. This former World Series winner needs to get back in the dugout

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

How did the John Rocker situation play out? I don't really remember

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Think these next 5 games against the Cubs are going to determine how different the Cards' roster will look in the coming years. Personally, I'm OK if they drop 4 or 5 and it means the front office can go all in on an Astros/Braves type rebuild (although I think the Cards farm system wouldn't keep them as terrible as those two clubs were prior to getting good).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Dexo posted:

I've said before I don't know Hader, his teammates or anyone, I'm also fine with Hader not being ex communicated. I can only speak to generalized situations like this where if you think about it even a little bit the only actual play for teammates to make at least publicly is its all good. Regardless of if it is actually good or not.

And thus I loving hate the hand waving of oh this minority who has to coexist with this person as neither of them are going anywhere is okay with it thus everything is cool.

It is literally the only play one can make, publicly anyway, whether or not they mean it or not. Or else it becomes a dreaded "distraction" for the team and never goes away.

I'll defer to the people that say they know Cain and his teammates better than me, but man please think about how much systemic pressure is in place before using the coworkers, that have to coexist with the person going forward, as a handwave towards someone getting away with lovely behavior.

This is the correct take.

Also, it's hilarious the Cardinals are going to continue playing .515 ball and remain in limbo up until the deadline. I hope the front office makes the correct move to sell, but I'm not confident.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

When did "graduate level" turn into a synonym for "boring and lowest-hanging-fruit"?

It's not even accurate in its stereotypes and was clearly designed by someone over the age of 50

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Hey Mo, trade Bud Norris and Matt Carpenter and Jose Martinez please. Maybe Jedd Gyorko if you can get a good return too.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

Carpenter's value is NEVER IN ANY SCENARIO going to be higher than right now so if we don't trade him then lmao.

If we don't blow up this team in 2018 and sell sell sell then Mike_V and I will shoot ourselves out of cannons precisely aligned to collide in midair, disintegrating us both on impact.

I've already loaded myself into it. Where are the trades, Mo?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sydin posted:

There's no realistically available SP besides old broken down rentals that teams are trying to gouge out the nose for. Rumor was the Brewers were trying to swing an Archer trade but :lol: the Rays have refused to move him for years and they sure as hell aren't going to sell low now.

e. Oh hey now here's a thing:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1022542385803345920

lmao the loving Nats are considering being sellers before the Birds. At this rate, all the buyers will have their pieces before Mo wakes up from his mid-season nap.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Your Taint posted:

What is it with him, Darvish, and Wilson coming here and sucking as soon as they step off the plane?

Chatwood wasn't good last year, as evidenced by his horrendous walk rate.

That there aren't even any trade rumors (that I've seen at least) around the Cardinals is incredibly concerning. Please someone show me a tweet with a plausible rumor.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

well today, your gm said explicitly the bullpen will not look the same in a couple of days so there’s that for you, cards fan

Ah, glad to see the Cardinals are buyers. Just need that key 7th inning guy to put the Birds over the hump

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Didn't realize it, but the lefties in the Cardinals pen have been historically bad this year!

quote:

To accentuate how bad Cardinals’ lefty relievers have been this year, their xFIP from lefty relievers is 5.57 through Thursday. That’s the worst in the game this season. It’s the worst for any team with 35 or more innings from lefties in Fangraphs’ split leaderboard since 2002, and the leaderboard does not go back further. In other words, it’s the worst left-handed bullpen by xFIP that you can readily find in recent history. That being the case, it’s an obvious area to address. It’s an area where even a decent addition would make up significant ground.

:waycool:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Cubs should sign Holland imo

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sydin posted:

Well the Cardinals certainly weren't kidding about shaking up the pen:
1. Holland officially released
2. Tyler Lyons DFA'd
3. Cecil on the 10-Day DL
4. Tuivailala just got traded to the Mariners.

Good start, Mo! Keep selling.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Do the Brewers need a catcher? Lorenzo Cain needs Salvy back in my opinion.

Are the Royals back to long-term awful? I moved out of Lawrence so I don't absorb the team anymore.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Is there a reason Braves fans want them to try and push their chips in this year? They're good but not great and probably wouldn't beat the supercharged Dodgers or a Cubs team that is the new Cardinals Bullshit. Doesn't seem to make sense to try and trade any of the great pieces for a shot at getting crushed by the AL or other, better teams when they could just dominate the NL for the next several years as their young players get better.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I need more trades, John, and I don't mean shipping off good local boys to the Big Apple for a couple of arms for the pen!!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sydin posted:

Also with apologies to Pancakes I'd like to point out that by the numbers Yadi really doesn't belong in the Hall either.

I'll see myself out.

I think you'll find that Yadi will continue performing at his current level for the next several years, in defiance of science and nature.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Cardinals are going to end up keeping Bud Norris since everyone is getting their bullpen help lol

You better have a big day tomorrow, Mo, or I will be very unhappy!!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Monkey Wrangler posted:

CarMart just left the game in the 5th.

Because the Cardinals are dumbasses and he's clearly still hurt but keep running him out there.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

This is an incredible level of negligence from the front office and the coaching/training staff. How can we have noticed he's still injured for over a month now and they haven't. If there isn't significant sell off tomorrow, I'm ready for the front office to be on the hot seat, since they would clearly be out of touch with reality at that point.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Someone make sure John Mozeliak set his alarm clock today, think he is still tucked into bed wearing his sleeping cap with a smile on his face and a bunch of Zs coming out of his mouth

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Mo, thank you! I don't know anything about the prospects, but this is a good example of selling somewhat high. Now you all can get mad at the Rays instead of the Cardinals for paying Tommy Pham nothing because he was so old when he started

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Tommy Pham is sadly always going to be one of those "what if" players. His eye condition in particular is an x-factor that could basically get worse at any moment, if I'm remembering correctly.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I need more trades, let's go

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Congrats to John Mozeliak on blowing the non-waiver deadline big time. August moves aren't gonna be anything meaningful.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

After years of trying to look like the Smartest Guy in the room, Mozeliak has shown there really isn't any sort of guiding vision. Finally uncoupled from Matheny and suggesting he's ready to do a true reckoning/rebuild, he falls flat on his face. It's not his fault both elite blue chip prospects died (literally and figuratively), but I basically have no confidence in this front office at this point. Somehow the Blues managed to completely rebuild with no high draft picks while the Face of St. Louis Sports is left with a half-built nest full of competent, complementary pieces, a team destined for .510 for at least the next 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Still in shock that Mozeliak thought dumping Pham for some low chance lottery tickets and shuffling around AAA players was good enough. There will most definitely be more AAA shuffling, maybe even for league average long relief to boost the chance the Cardinals make the playoffs to 1%.

Anyways, after another .500 finish next season, do you think the entire front office will be sacked or will ownership let Girsch take over?

• Locked thread