Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1024347406887014404

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1024347409483292672

do it pussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Syrian Lannister posted:

Uber dropping self driving cars

I mentally finished that sentence with "on people"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hexyflexy posted:

It's already way too late to not have a total disaster, so it's not our fault (yay!). Non-linear systems are a bitch, hopefully next time an expert tries to explain that the shattered remnants of humanity, they'll listen for 5 seconds.

(We should have listened in about 1985 when the scientific consensus was "oh poo poo, this is going to be bad").

the deal with this stuff is that if you kill like 0.1 to 25% of everybody (depending) society will be hosed enough that peeps will start listening because of the sheer gaps of power, even if the same peeps were loving enormous idiots before

china went from the worst of mao zedong to a generally sane economic policy in like 10 years, cuz enough peeps were dead that they could do consensus things again (or at least one consensus: "let's not do that again"). there are enough people trying to get power again that it's hosed again. stalin was followed by khruschev who was much more sane because everyone could agree on things ("we need to kill beria, he's not a fuckin human being anymore") because enough people were dead

so hope that it's slow but with huge spikes. like, say, saudi arabia getting to 150 degrees in a freak heat wave with millions dead or somethin but then like 75 more years to the total apocalypse so we can actually do things

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 1, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't wait till the generation of folks raised on watching nazi vids on youtube from ambulation on get to be in charge. Might be pining for the boomers at that point.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
(slow but with huge spikes is always how the weather works, btw, so we got that on our side)

(eta for yemen / swamp parts of saudi being completely uninhabitable for weeks at a time is like 2025 lol, including, importantly, dhahran which has the HQ of saudi aramco and the hottest wet bulb temp in the world. >95 fahrenheit wet bulb is fatal to well-hydrated young people in the shade next to a fan, dhahran is at 92 many summer days)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 1, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Man I asked my wife that same question about "did we gently caress up?"

gently caress.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1024429778567352320

More will accept it when it starts getting serious...

...just to own the libs

edit:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This QAnon stuff is legit going to get an innocent person killed. It’s even crazier than Pizzagate, and it’s starting to get traction among wider swathes of people.

Also, regarding that ICE kidnapping- can someone explain why those “officers” stated they didn’t have to show their warrant or identify themselves?

Edit: also, the DC area has had a years worth of rain fall by the end of July, including two days in June and July when we had a months worth of rain fall in one day, and the sixth wettest month on record in May.

https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/1024438025391099904

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 1, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1024429778567352320

More will accept it when it starts getting serious...

Exactly my thought. If Jesus appeared in a vision and told the whole of America that Russia helped the GOP, the number would climb. Or they'd decide Jesus is fake news.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Speaking of totally normal things:

https://twitter.com/SenJeffMerkley/status/1024389662595604480

Here's a sitting Senator flat out accusing the sitting President of the United-loving-States of probable treasonous activities.

It happened hours ago.

Six years ago a tan suit was scandalous.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

Exactly my thought. If Jesus appeared in a vision and told the whole of America that Russia helped the GOP, the number would climb. Or they'd decide Jesus is fake news.

conservatives would murder Jesus just for laughs

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAc2NHY_d70

Premieres tonight.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the deal with this stuff is that if you kill like 0.1 to 25% of everybody (depending) society will be hosed enough that peeps will start listening because of the sheer gaps of power, even if the same peeps were loving enormous idiots before

china went from the worst of mao zedong to a generally sane economic policy in like 10 years, cuz enough peeps were dead that they could do consensus things again (or at least one consensus: "let's not do that again"). there are enough people trying to get power again that it's hosed again. stalin was followed by khruschev who was much more sane because everyone could agree on things ("we need to kill beria, he's not a fuckin human being anymore") because enough people were dead

so hope that it's slow but with huge spikes. like, say, saudi arabia getting to 150 degrees in a freak heat wave with millions dead or somethin but then like 75 more years to the total apocalypse so we can actually do things

I mentioned this a few pages ago but they've done studies with sharks where they've tried hatching eggs in water more representative of climate change (higher acidity due to dissolved carbon dioxide and higher temperatures). They found that when the pH drops by 0.5 and the temperature increases by 7ºF all the eggs hatch but more than half of the sharks die afterwards. Yeah, those changes occurring across all the world's oceans requires a lot of CO2 to be pumped into the air but by the time it happens we'll have bleached most of our coral reefs and who knows how many other fish are going to be dead considering sharks have remained the same for millions of years more or less unchanged? If it took us a century or two of uninhibited pollution to get to this point how long will it take to revert the oceans back to the way things were at "responsible" consumption levels and how dead are they going to be by the time we fix our mistakes?

If we are getting a freak heat wave that kills millions then we're actually just done, that is the total apocalypse it's just an event that spans centuries.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
New York Post, but still :lol:

https://nypost.com/2018/07/07/is-hillary-clinton-secretly-planning-to-run-in-2020/

https://twitter.com/tilyouregone/status/1024012510704427009?s=19

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
wouldnt surprise me in the slightest tbh

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Remember that movie Day After Tomorrow? That freak instant death cold is survivable with clean coal in every household! Checkmate lib! They even burned books to stay warm in the movie. Free hand of the market putting liberal “knowledge” to good use!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That's actually not very reassuring because when enough people get dead-ed all at once to finally scare the gently caress out enough of them to start demanding something be done, what is going to happen? Do you think the destabilized societies that result will be willing to cooperate to reverse tragedy-of-the-commons type poo poo that is causing all this, or to murder the gently caress out of the people that the demagogues who spring out of the woodwork blaming an outsider group point at? Even if we *DO* somehow manage to summon the better nature of humanity when entire nations are getting wiped the gently caress out by freak events and work towards a solution instead of murdering the gently caress out of each other...what solution would work? Will people have the patience to die while actual solutions like "we need to get gigatons of carbon out of the atmosphere" are implemented, or will they fall for quick fixes like terraforming plans whose end result will be one giant case of :shrug:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gently caress it, raise your hand if you'll be 35 by inaguration day

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Lol if you think she gets out of the primary

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I've been working on my platform the last year:

- Fade haircuts for white people are illegal
- Dr. Chuck Tingle is our nation's poet laureate
- Death for everyone

I hope I can count on your vote, Namaste

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
here's a lovely situation: LAPD responds to a guy holding a knife to a woman's neck, three officers fire 18 rounds, killing both hostage and suspect.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/salvadorhernandez/video-lapd-officers-kill-hostage

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

here's a lovely situation: LAPD responds to a guy holding a knife to a woman's neck, three officers fire 18 rounds, killing both hostage and suspect.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/salvadorhernandez/video-lapd-officers-kill-hostage

this russian influence goes deeper than i thought

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mlmp08 posted:

Successfully kept the suspect from killing the hostage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Nice companion piece to the cops in my town murdering a homeowner who had just shot a home invader

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/man-fatally-shot-by-aurora-police-after-shooting-home-intruder-identified-as-vietnam-veteran

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

mlmp08 posted:

quote:

Police said Perez began to cut the woman's throat when three officers opened fire,

jfc guys there's three of you get close and then dome him

This is how you do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh59EjwM-1E

Guy gets shot at 1:50

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 1, 2018

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

What goes on in those situations to get every officer with a gun drawn to fire at a guy with a knife? Fear of being the one that didn't jump in?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Tbf that lady had a very low chance of survival if the cops didn't shoot, but if you're gonna take that shot you better be drat sure you're not gonna miss

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lake of Methane posted:

What goes on in those situations to get every officer with a gun drawn to fire at a guy with a knife? Fear of being the one that didn't jump in?

First shot goes and everyone else squeezes them off.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It seems that the lesson here is never rely on the cops to not piss their pants and kill everyone in sight.

ie. don't call them unless you absolutely have to or you want people to die.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Tbf that lady had a very low chance of survival if the cops didn't shoot, but if you're gonna take that shot you better be drat sure you're not gonna miss

3 cops shot an average of 6 times each. What are the chances they don't kill the hostage at that point?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol they werent going to miss out on a two for one deal like that

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vasudus posted:

Speaking of totally normal things:

https://twitter.com/SenJeffMerkley/status/1024389662595604480

Here's a sitting Senator flat out accusing the sitting President of the United-loving-States of probable treasonous activities.

It happened hours ago.

Six years ago a tan suit was scandalous.

The part that keeps bothering me is that the discussion on the foreign meddling always stays on Russia whereas a few places made fairly credible accusations that it included Israel and a couple Persian Gulf states too. Naturally, nobody wants to sanction Netanyahu's corrupt-as-gently caress government because doing so might delay the rapture or the second temple or whatever, Qatar has some strategic importance and lmao the Saudis will never be held to account.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Having learned nothing from the Michael Wolff experience, practically everyone in the trump white house has been feeding Bob Woodward material for an inside tell-all that drops on Sept. 11. :getin:

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/07/31/trump-woodward-book-white-house-reporters-press-753109

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Most transparent administration ever.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Eej posted:

I mentioned this a few pages ago but they've done studies with sharks where they've tried hatching eggs in water more representative of climate change (higher acidity due to dissolved carbon dioxide and higher temperatures). They found that when the pH drops by 0.5 and the temperature increases by 7ºF all the eggs hatch but more than half of the sharks die afterwards. Yeah, those changes occurring across all the world's oceans requires a lot of CO2 to be pumped into the air but by the time it happens we'll have bleached most of our coral reefs and who knows how many other fish are going to be dead considering sharks have remained the same for millions of years more or less unchanged? If it took us a century or two of uninhibited pollution to get to this point how long will it take to revert the oceans back to the way things were at "responsible" consumption levels and how dead are they going to be by the time we fix our mistakes?

If we are getting a freak heat wave that kills millions then we're actually just done, that is the total apocalypse it's just an event that spans centuries.

there will be no such thing as fish, yes. millions or billions will die, but probably not everybody. as bad as the great leap forward, but probably not more than 5-15x as bad. even with positive feedback cycles, if enough people die we will necessarily stop burning enough oil to slow the anthropogenic portion of the thing. it is, after all, still mostly the fault of humans.

bird food bathtub posted:

That's actually not very reassuring because when enough people get dead-ed all at once to finally scare the gently caress out enough of them to start demanding something be done, what is going to happen? Do you think the destabilized societies that result will be willing to cooperate to reverse tragedy-of-the-commons type poo poo that is causing all this, or to murder the gently caress out of the people that the demagogues who spring out of the woodwork blaming an outsider group point at? Even if we *DO* somehow manage to summon the better nature of humanity when entire nations are getting wiped the gently caress out by freak events and work towards a solution instead of murdering the gently caress out of each other...what solution would work? Will people have the patience to die while actual solutions like "we need to get gigatons of carbon out of the atmosphere" are implemented, or will they fall for quick fixes like terraforming plans whose end result will be one giant case of :shrug:

the black death showed one thing: one way to solve the tragedy of the commons is by killing enough people that there are enough commons for people again. macabre, but effective.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Best drop on that date since 2001

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

the black death showed one thing: one way to solve the tragedy of the commons is by killing enough people that there are enough commons for people again. macabre, but effective.

Yeah okay Thanos. Move along.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Best drop on that date since 2001

:stare:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Decimation as a solution??

Wow, the Russian influence runs deep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe the anti-vaxxers are onto something after all.

• Locked thread