Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Hanebado! is a sports anime about girls badminton, adapted from a Seinen manga of the same name, which is still on going.

Plot Synopis posted:

Ayano Hanesaki, a first-year student at Kanagawa Prefectural Kitakomachi High School, has a badminton ability able to surpass others effortlessly yet avoids playing the sport. She meets Nagisa Aragaki, a third-year student who practices day and night aiming to become the best player in Japan. Encouraged by coach Tachibana Kentarou, supported by club colleagues, and fired up by various rivals, the two engage in their youth and adored sport so thrilling like a shuttle flown at high speed!

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QOGVlAnZQ8

From what I have heard, this is a very realistic take on the sport. No super powers or shounen-esque moments.
The first episode was very good and while hitting the same plot points as the manga, did so completely differently making it a lot more serious which worked better.
I think the direction so far is great, but the directors only other full show is Gunslinger Stratos which apparently is not very good, so we'll see.

Important characters so far:

Ayano
The protagonist, seems to be incredibly good at badminton but doesn't want to play it anymore.

Nagisa
Captain of the badminton club and wants it to succeed, but is being too harsh on the other members.

Riko
Nagisa's friend and vice-captain of the club.

Elena
Ayano's friend and just wants her to play badminton.

Kentaro
Brought in by the teacher to try and coach the club into shape.

The show airs every Sunday and you can watch it on Crunchyroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Love the first episode. The badminton match felt fast and frenetic. The characters seemed interesting.

I'm really interested to get to know the side characters as well.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Really high production values, and another anime/manga to throw onto the pile of "please get hype for Tokyo 2020 and possibly be inspired to participate for respectable host nation results" pieces.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Enjoyed that first episode, definitely curious about Ayano's story and hope that Nagisa can reconcile with her clubmates a little

(can we get this thread title changed at some point, it'd be nice if it wasn't immediately weird)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

Enjoyed that first episode, definitely curious about Ayano's story and hope that Nagisa can reconcile with her clubmates a little

(can we get this thread title changed at some point, it'd be nice if it wasn't immediately weird)

I think the implication is that the clubmates have been dealing with this and still showing up and trying for months and they understand why she's acting this way, but we are definitely seeing the breaking point.

I'm also looking forward to Ayano realizing that her reactions to her own issues are just completely invalidating the club members and especially Nagisa.

Also yeah, let's change the thread title.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Also the OP is really stylish, and I really liked this cut:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Couldn't really think of anything else for the title, if someone has better suggestions then by all means. I also don't have PM's so I don't know how to go about requesting getting it changed.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 2, 2018

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Hanebado! - nets full of shuttlecocks

(or some other way to work the word 'shuttlecock' in the title)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

im glad for the ending to keijo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

haneboobo! smashing my shuttlecock in her back alley

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Hanebado! - Everyone hates badminton

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Also the OP is really stylish, and I really liked this cut:

Yeah this was cool

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

GodFish posted:

Hanebado! - Everyone hates badminton

It's true. That's what I got from the first episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Space Flower posted:

I knew that ribbon looked familiar

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Spoilers for tone of the first chapter of the manga only.
Just read the first chapter of the manga as comparison and the tone is much lighter there. I really like the direction they went for here and it should give the matches more weight.

Edit: spoiler tag.

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 2, 2018

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
If y'all are going to start discussing the manga, could you let me know so I can bail on this thread too?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Sorry, I just read the first chapter as a comparison, and the tone was an interesting discussion point as the contrast in tone. Don't think I'll read anymore until the season ends.

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 2, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Beato Believer posted:

If y'all are going to start discussing the manga, could you let me know so I can bail on this thread too?

Just in case, people should be considerate and put manga spoilers in spoiler tags.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
spoilers for tone of the first chapter of the manga

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

spoilers for equivalent content in the manga that the anime probably won't line up with for a while

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i feel that communication could be vastly improved if every word ever spoken or written was masked by spoiler tags somehow

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Nobody is ever happy. :( Sorry I've opened this can of worms.

spoiler here

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
:justpost:

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 2, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nah you don't need to apologize, beato is just weird about spoilers. if people wanna compare manga differences of stuff the anime has covered that would be cool to me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just from reading the first two chapters and seeing only 12 are translated, I don't feel like there's much to be gained from comparing them beyond yep, sure is different so far, so let's not be butts on both sides please.

Still thinking about how intense some of the scenes in the first episode are. Nagisa is seriously traumatized and so much of the first episode is people thoughtlessly pressing on those bruises.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Do you mean Ayano's reaction to badminton and the coach's speech about talent? I do think that the members quitting were a reasonable reaction.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

dogsicle posted:

nah you don't need to apologize, beato is just weird about spoilers.

Then I shall apologize for bringing it up.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I admit that I didn't figure out that Ayano was the opponent in the opening minutes until she met Nagisa's friend after school. After I did, I appreciated the little gestures Elena was making on a second watch. Commenting on there being a Badminton club, giving Ayano looks when discussing badminton, etc.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Watched the first episode earlier today. Having not read the manga yet, I'm actually super on-board for an intense yet grounded show about badminton

It's gonna be fun figuring out what Ayano's deal is

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Beato Believer posted:

Then I shall apologize for bringing it up.

Yeah...I appreciate that, but from now on please use the report system or PM me for any posts or threads you feel are too spoiler heavy for your tastes and we'll see what we can do, thank you for your time.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Yeah...I appreciate that, but from now on please use the report system or PM me for any posts or threads you feel are too spoiler heavy for your tastes and we'll see what we can do, thank you for your time.

Nah, I'm obviously the one that's out of step with everyone else, so I'm the one that needs to deal with it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sakuga Blog had a pretty great writeup of the first ep

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Haneprettygoodo!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Space Flower posted:

So wait is this a cute girls having sports problems, or cute girls going through messed up stuff show?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I like the little touches this show brings like some random dude walking past as two characters have a argument, or a lamp post turning on because it's getting dark as two characters are having a heart-to-heart. poo poo like that isn't necessary but it definitely adds to the quality makes everything feel full of motion and the world is lively.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More like Sadminton, am I right?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe the quality of animation this show is maintaining.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm stunned by this show. The drama is being executed so well and it still looks really really good.

The OP has these 13 quick shots that are split in half and shown at different times, which I stitched back together. Some decent avatar material:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This is mocaped 3D and drawing over it right because I refuse to believe that a studio could labor this animation quality back to back

• Locked thread