Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I have no idea why I can't find anything online about this, so I'm hoping you guys can offer some advice. I bought a very nice, large sectional suede "L" shaped corner couch a year ago or so. When I finally finished decorating and getting the rest of the furniture in place, I noticed that the couch is "prickly." Ever since, we've kept a couch cover on it, but I don't necessarily care for it, and the blue suede looks really good.

There are just a lot of little plastic fibers coming out. You can't see them, but you can feel them, and pull them out with needle nose pliers, but that would take 10 years because there's literally a million of them. It's like my couch needs to shave. Completely unnoticeable to the eye, but they're there, all over the place - prickly and highly annoying. Like an invisible five o'clock shadw or something. When you pull them out, its like little plastic fibers about two inches long that are curly. How does one fix this problem? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
A hairdryer might melt and soften the plastic fibres and then you could drag a ruler or spatula over it and perhaps smoosh them down

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Alternatively set up a chore roster and punish people who do not do their chores with one hour plucking the sofa

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Sounds like you have morgellons-by-proxy. Stop picking at your couch, there are no invisible fibres coming out of it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, but yes there are :saddowns:

Like the OP says, I've had a couch cover on it since day 1 due to said problem. I can make a video if that would help anyone.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 2, 2018

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

eightysixed posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, but yes there are :saddowns:

Like the OP says, I've had a couch cover on it since day 1 due to said problem. I can make a video if that would help anyone.

Shave it.

Get an electric razor and shave those lil bastards off.

And be sure to take video. We'll want to watch you shaving your couch.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

There's no way that wouldn't gently caress up the suede (It will). I do have an electric razor though :stare:

I don't trust that though. Don't dry cleaners have little tools that effectively "shave" fuzz/furr/lint from wool and stuff without damaging the fabric? I wonder if those would work, or even if it's a real thing. The lovely thing is the cushions are part of the couch. It looks separate, but they're attached for some dumb reason, about two inches in. It reminds me of those old goose down pillows I had as a kid and the end of the feather(s) would barely poke out, and you would pull it out and have a full, small little feather. Except these are like plastic micro-fibers or something equally ridiculous :emo:

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

eightysixed posted:

There's no way that wouldn't gently caress up the suede (It will). I do have an electric razor though :stare:

I don't trust that though. Don't dry cleaners have little tools that effectively "shave" fuzz/furr/lint from wool and stuff without damaging the fabric? I wonder if those would work, or even if it's a real thing. The lovely thing is the cushions are part of the couch. It looks separate, but they're attached for some dumb reason, about two inches in. It reminds me of those old goose down pillows I had as a kid and the end of the feather(s) would barely poke out, and you would pull it out and have a full, small little feather. Except these are like plastic micro-fibers or something equally ridiculous :emo:

If you're really that worried, pick up one of those triple rotating head ones. Like so: https://www.amazon.com/SweetLF-Rech...30566564&sr=8-6

The grills will protect the suede while the plastic sharp bits are sheared off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
That’s the fiber batting from your cushions coming through the casing. It doesn’t sound like a very well made sectional.

Not sure there’s much you can do other than shaving them off since the cushions are sewn in.

• Locked thread