Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Oh my God Frank :allears:

At this rate you're gonna end up remaking the entire overworld of Dragon Quest 3!

I'd channel that creative energy and time into something more productive.

Like Dragon Quest 4. :cheeky:

I wonder how long it would take to remake the map in minecraft, and how you would do it. Would it be 1 block=1 square, with different color blocks representing different terrains, or 1 block = 1 pixel, at which point we call the psychiatrists to arrange for a nice stay while they check to see whether or not you've gone insane.

Edit: actually, you can edit how blocks look in Minecraft, right? So someone could just change blocks to the different terrains, and do it that way.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Oh my God Frank :allears:

At this rate you're gonna end up remaking the entire overworld of Dragon Quest 3!

I'd channel that creative energy and time into something more productive.

Like Dragon Quest 4. :cheeky:

Hey, I'll get to it in time! :3

MythosDragon posted:

Yeah Frank, I'm gonna have to request you just LP Builders when you cant mainline any longer at this point.

Hmm... I might be tempted, but after further research, it turns out I don't have any of the platforms either game came out on, or the hardware to capture from these platforms if I had them. (I own no Microsoft consoles, the latest Sony console I own is a PS2, and the latest Nintendo console I own is a Wii U.)

Patter Song posted:

After the last thread, you said there was a 50% chance of progressing to DQV and a 20% chance of DQVI. Does that still sound accurate or has it gone up/down?

It's about the same, though considering I just came off a near-40 episode LP and am planning another one in the near future, it's hard to say exactly how I'll feel about it when the moment comes. There will definitely be temptation to put a bow on the NES installments and call it a wrap there, but it's a good series and I could think of worse ways to spend my time!

Randalor posted:

I wonder how long it would take to remake the map in minecraft, and how you would do it. Would it be 1 block=1 square, with different color blocks representing different terrains, or 1 block = 1 pixel, at which point we call the psychiatrists to arrange for a nice stay while they check to see whether or not you've gone insane.

Edit: actually, you can edit how blocks look in Minecraft, right? So someone could just change blocks to the different terrains, and do it that way.

I think that if it was done with the same "one NES tile = one 2x2x2 Minecraft block" notion I've been using for the dungeons, you could end up with a scale and a feel roughly similar to the overworld in Final Fantasy 7, if maybe a touch smaller. Most of the work would be in trying to approximate altitude, since the game isn't great at cluing you in on that, apart from the obvious spots where the heart of the Necrogond is far above sea level, the Isis desert being a great sandy bowl surrounded by mountain ranges, or where you can imagine the safest road between Bolef's Path and Baharata being at the bottom of a wide valley.

Man, the mind boggles at the effort, though!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I'm sure DQ Builders will come to Steam eventually. It took them a while to port Heroes, too.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Had no clue Builder's wasnt on steam tbh.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

MythosDragon posted:

Had no clue Builder's wasnt on steam tbh.

I thought it was too, I double checked before going "what about Steam?" and the Steam Store search brought up bupkis. :psyduck:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I'm not so sure, since Heroes 1 came out on PC before they started talking sequel, and they're already talking sequel for builders.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So I decided to start playing DQ9, and when it got to the Make A Party part, well... I had to do it to 'em:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I hope you give Rebeca the raddest hat as soon as you possibly can.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

I hope you give Rebeca the raddest hat as soon as you possibly can.

Is there really a raddest hat for her? Because I'm not opposed to cheating it in...

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
The Gooey helmet

The Gooey gear are the only pieces of equipment that matter in DQIX

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Kheldarn posted:

So I decided to start playing DQ9, and when it got to the Make A Party part, well... I had to do it to 'em:

Haha, oh my goodness, that's a lot of win right there. Now I kinda wish I had thought of it myself!

Kheldarn posted:

Is there really a raddest hat for her? Because I'm not opposed to cheating it in...

I'm not gonna spoil anything, but... there be a rad hat. Oh, there be.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Progress Update!

Also, if I wanted to, I can deck Reb out like this...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to take a moment to thank François for these LPs. I haven't posted in any of the threads before, but to be fair I only discovered the trilogy about a week ago and only just finished the most recent chapter last night. I really hope that these get sent to the archives, because they most definitely deserve to be preserved.

I also wanted to say to anyone who would like to play DW2 but was put off by the end of the LP... play the SFC version, the one that comes with DW1. It's called Dragon Quest as it was the Japanese Super Famicom version, but it's basically what DQ2 would have been had it been on the Super Nintendo and they had play-tested the last 1/4 of the game. Pleasant visuals, charming music, and much more balanced equipment options. Rhone is challenging, but not sadistic as in the NES version. I have not played the mobile nor the GBC version of 2 through, but I am familiar with them and can say with confidence that the SFC version is the NES version done much better. My only real complaint is that both casters get Revive in the mobile and GBC versions of 2, but not in the SFC version.

Finally, I wanted to share an amusing anecdote from playing DQ3 a few years ago. I really went hammer and tongs on this playthrough; I started with Hero, Soldier, Pilgrim, Mage and did a bunch of class changes and grinding. When the dust settled, I had a soldier who had all of the Pilgrim and Mage spells but less than 100 MP, a Sage at about level 51 and a high-40s Pilgrim with all of the Mage spells as well. This was admittedly excessive, but I really do like having two characters with all of the priestly spells and two with all of the mage spells, I just wanted to try for three this time. I am of the opinion that one can't have enough healing, and I really like having two casters who can use Bikill. Also, this was a non-English translation of the game (French, if you're curious) and they accidentally mistranslated the Silver Shield as the Silver Necklace. Since those are end-game gear for Sages and Pilgrims, I had two casters running around carrying silver necklaces with remarkably high protective abilities. I know that Frank said that he does translation work, so I thought that I would mention that for laughs; not sure how that mistake slipped the net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Welp, vacation over. Oh dear!

• Locked thread