Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Issue #87: Batman and Catwoman argue in divorce court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
THE VOWS... ARE BROKEN, Bane says (in disguise wearing a suit but still the mask) as he stamps the pre-nup agreement

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
At least Bane didn't pull a X-Men Cartoon wedding where he posed as the marriage official and because he wasn't licensed it meant that the marriage wasn't legit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Madkal posted:

At least Bane didn't pull a X-Men Cartoon wedding where he posed as the marriage official and because he wasn't licensed it meant that the marriage wasn't legit.

I mean the actual plan they tried to do in 50 was to kidnap a drunken judge, break out an inmate from Arkham to act as witness then marry as Batman and cat woman so their real identities would remain safe so it’s not like the marriage was going to have a strong legal foundation in the first place.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How it should have been handled.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

X-O posted:

OK my memory is just poo poo then. I thought one of them turned bad and caused a whole bunch of destruction or something. But I concede I didn't care for it much so I didn't retain much knowledge. But regardless if she's never been a villain I wonder why she's here with them all.

Well Psycho Pirate is there?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

With Bane punching out Catwoman and declaring Bats to be his one true love. Followed by the Joker crying in grief.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If Bane was a true luchador, he would have known that if he beat up Catwoman and then said "I do" in her place, he would have officially been married to Batman.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bane: *breaks Batman's back again, tosses him in a cell to drown, gets beat up by Catwoman*
*chases Bat to Gotham for a showdown, lynches multiple Robins with no apparent consequence, gets beat up again*
*vicariously convinces Catwoman to leave Bruce, maybe recruits alt-world Batdad in upcoming scheme*
"Oh yes... no one's gonna beat me up this time, especially not the couple that routinely hands me my rear end. Everything is coming up Bane!"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Space Fish posted:

Bane: *breaks Batman's back again, tosses him in a cell to drown, gets beat up by Catwoman*
*chases Bat to Gotham for a showdown, lynches multiple Robins with no apparent consequence, gets beat up again*
*vicariously convinces Catwoman to leave Bruce, maybe recruits alt-world Batdad in upcoming scheme*
"Oh yes... no one's gonna beat me up this time, especially not the couple that routinely hands me my rear end. Everything is coming up Bane!"

It really is a marvelously lovely plan. Surely the emotionally unstable lunatic who has beaten the poo poo out of me won't succeed this time, even though he is now more furious than ever.

Honestly, the twist would have been better if they played the 'second thoughts' straight, making the argument that batman would indeed be weaker if he was happy, and had that actually be Bane's plan.

Like he finally realizes that batman has basically nothing but his war in crime, and that giving him something to care about gives him vulnerability and weakens the overall angst that drives him. Bane playing matchmaker in a really messed up psychwarfare shtick is still way more interesting than what we got.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, he's not breaking the bat, he's bothering the Bruce, and Batman has run off of pure Bruce-bother for almost 80 years at this point. He should know by now that emotional misery and woe is like, the Batman equivalent of a balanced breakfast. For an alleged genius an awful lot of Bane's big schemes essentially reduce to "NOW I SHALL CREATE A HUGE HASSLE FOR MYSELF."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Codependent Poster posted:

If Bane was a true luchador, he would have known that if he beat up Catwoman and then said "I do" in her place, he would have officially been married to Batman.

WHY DID THEY NOT DO THIS

Seriously, don't even have it be some secret love thing, just have Bane troll the gently caress out of Batman by doing this

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

WHY DID THEY NOT DO THIS

Seriously, don't even have it be some secret love thing, just have Bane troll the gently caress out of Batman by doing this

Then Bane could have gotten half of Batman's things in the divorce. Bane is not a true mastermind.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Archyduke posted:

Yeah, he's not breaking the bat, he's bothering the Bruce, and Batman has run off of pure Bruce-bother for almost 80 years at this point. He should know by now that emotional misery and woe is like, the Batman equivalent of a balanced breakfast. For an alleged genius an awful lot of Bane's big schemes essentially reduce to "NOW I SHALL CREATE A HUGE HASSLE FOR MYSELF."

If he'd just followed the Joker, since they can apparently walk in and out of Arkham seemingly at will, he probably could have just stepped on Batman's neck while he was paralyzed, rather than have Joker dick around trying to instill doubt in Catwoman as step 56 of his ridiculously circuitous plan.

This works too, I guess.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

On the flip side to this story, I now want a story where a villain figures out who Batman is and proceeds to systematically make Bats/Bruce life better, loving up other villain plans and helping Bruce’s friends/allies have a better bond with him, eroding all the anger and angst that motivates Batman to put on the mask.

The mad hatter did something like this in the animated series. Trapped batman in a simulation to give him everything he ever wanted because he always looked so sad. It ended with thomas wayne beating joe chill to death instead of being shot. And a young bruce getting traumatized because of that violence.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

frodnonnag posted:

The mad hatter did something like this in the animated series. Trapped batman in a simulation to give him everything he ever wanted because he always looked so sad. It ended with thomas wayne beating joe chill to death instead of being shot. And a young bruce getting traumatized because of that violence.

You're mixing two episodes. The Hatter trapped Bruce in his dream world in one, but his dad beating the poo poo out of Chill was when he got Black Mercy'd in the JLU version of For The Man Who Has Everything.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Also, I don't understand how THE BAT IS BROKEN when Catwoman called the whole thing off based on the idea that Batman will lose his determination if he is allowed happiness in his life. Isn't THE BAT STAYED AT THE STATUS QUO the exact opposite of THE BAT IS BROKEN?

She was wrong though, and the whole point of this story is that she's wrong and Batman can and wants to be happy. Yeah, him not losing his parents was a disaster, but in Annual 2 we saw that finding happiness with Catwoman as an adult can work. Bane stole that from him by having two villains put that doubt in Catwoman's head.

Someone else pointed it out, but this almost certainly wasn't Bane's plan all along. This is Bane's revenge for Batman stealing his own attempt at finding happiness using Psycho Pirate.

I think the comic kind of sucked, and thought all the stuff with eyes and splash pages was super self indulgent even before the twist (and kind of insulting in retrospect), but I've enjoyed Tom King's run (especially the parts involving Catwoman), and I hope the end result after 100 is more satisfying than the halfway point is.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 14, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Batman '66 omnibus looks great.
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Case/status/1019084064328826882/photo/1

OMNIBUS!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 17, 2018

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnt

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, I'm guessing most people, understandably, checked out of King's Batman after the very disappointing #50. Since I still rate him as a decent writer overall, I decided to read at least one more issue to see where he was taking the story. I have to say, he managed to hook me again. The plot centers on the murder trial of Mr. Freeze after Batman, still obviously reeling from the events of the previous issue, apprehended him with excessive violence. The twist being that Bruce Wayne is on the jury, and seems to be the only one not convinced Freeze is guilty. It looks like it may be an interesting arc in an obviously flawed run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
50 is the first Batman I’ve read in a while. I forgot I had ordered it, so when I went to pick up a months worth of comics today it was there in the pile.

It was... really good. I’m disappointed by the story, but I enjoyed the issue itself. A best hits of artists is always going to do that for me.

It made me curious to see what happens during King’s run but unlikely to buy it in floppies. This seems like one you wait until it’s over and read it all at once.

• Locked thread