Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Anyone but Djokovic :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Ah man. Great match, though.

say no to bats posted:

Can't wait for the wet fart the Final will be when Djoker rolls over the winner of Isner/Anderson after beating an exhausted and battered winner of this match.

I don't know if you can really write Nadal off on fitness, though... granted he's older nowadays but it just never seems to be much of an issue. Djokovic has flattered to deceive in this tournament imo, he's looked impressive sporadically and obviously much better than at any other point in the past two years but Nadal's a huge step up and generally in better form. I think he'll win, five-hour epic notwithstanding.

Who knows, though. The final's probably doomed either way, sadly.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Nadal and Djokovic are gonna exhaust each other and the winner will lose in the final to MAGA shithead John Isner

Seriously though if Anderson can play as well as he did today I wouldn’t rule him out against a tired Djokovic or Nadal

Two incredible matches today, even if the results were disappointing

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Glare Seethe posted:

Ah man. Great match, though.

I don't know if you can really write Nadal off on fitness, though... granted he's older nowadays but it just never seems to be much of an issue. Djokovic has flattered to deceive in this tournament imo, he's looked impressive sporadically and obviously much better than at any other point in the past two years but Nadal's a huge step up and generally in better form. I think he'll win, five-hour epic notwithstanding.

Who knows, though. The final's probably doomed either way, sadly.

I'm a big Nadal honk and his stamina has never been an issue, but its the 3 set letdown where he is limping early and tries to gut it out to no avail or the mid match injury retirement that I fear.

Saw that script way too many times over the years now, especially after a match like this where he was going full bore the whole time.

He might well be fine by the time Friday rolls around but I don't think anyone would be surprised if some integral part of his body decides to take a poo poo after this match and falling/diving/tripping/sliding/pulling/twisting etc. as much as he did.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Cornflakes posted:

Two incredible matches today, even if the results were disappointing

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

say no to bats posted:

He might well be fine by the time Friday rolls around but I don't think anyone would be surprised if some integral part of his body decides to take a poo poo after this match and falling/diving/tripping/sliding/pulling/twisting etc. as much as he did.

Yeah that's a good point. If he's compromised by the physical effort it's more likely to manifest as an actual injury rather than fatigue. Hopefully he'll be all right cause I actually quite like the setup for this Djokovic/Nadal match. It's been a while since they've played a good one.

Cornflakes posted:

...the winner will lose in the final to MAGA shithead John Isner

What a nightmare that would be.

Agreed about Anderson though. If the final's Nadal/Anderson again it'll be interesting to see if he can redeem himself after that tepid performance at the USO last year. He'll have the experience now and the surface is better suited to his game. At the very least he's showing that wasn't a fluke. The sports psychologist he's reportedly started seeing in recent years is paying off for him.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

I figured last year’s US final would be the highlight of Anderson’s career. He did well there, but it was partially the result of a lucky break because when Murray dropped out the day before the tournament he completely hosed up the draw, and so the toughest guys Anderson had to beat were Querrey and Carreño Busta. Today he was on another level. Even if he chokes against Isner I think this result is already more impressive.

I like Nadal’s chances a lot. He’s clearly hellbent on winning a late-career Wimbledon. I suspect he might want it more than anything else at this point. Even when he loses he’s usually fairly sanguine, but the press conference after he lost to Müller last year was the most bitterly disappointed I’ve ever seen him. When he retires from a match or only gives ~70% it’s almost always out of concern for his long term health and not necessarily because he can’t do any better at that moment. I think Wimbledon is important enough to him that he’ll go all out in spite of whatever body problems might be bothering him, long term consequences be damned.

And I completely agree that while Djokovic is better than he has been (which isn’t saying much), he hasn’t played a top tier opponent yet. He’s not 2011 or 2015 Djokovic by any means.

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 11, 2018

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Carebear in the final, sweet. :hfive: Pretty horrible match by Ostapenko though. Waaay to many errors, even for a loose cannon like her.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

fancyclown posted:

Carebear in the final, sweet. :hfive: Pretty horrible match by Ostapenko though. Waaay to many errors, even for a loose cannon like her.

Yup. I’m an unabashed Ostapenko fanboy, and I almost wish she hadn’t picked it up at the very end. Don’t tantalize me with a comeback!

If a few of those last points had gone differently I think she might have rallied, but she should never have been so far down in the hole to begin with.

Great stuff from Carebear. If she keeps that level up in the final it’s gonna be a great match.

There have been at least a few tremendous matches during every single round of this tournament, on both the men’s and women’s sides. Most exciting tournament of the year so far imo

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 12, 2018

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Anderson Isner is shaping up to be long and boring. On the plus side, Djokovic Nadal should be fun and there'll still be plenty of it to go when I get home from work.

Edit: First break, two and a half sets and two and a half hours into the match.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 13, 2018

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Deformed Church posted:

Edit: First break, two and a half sets and two and a half hours into the match.

And then immediately the break-back... :negative:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Maga oval office Isner leading 2-1

Why did Anderson choke on his serve :negative:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Anderson winning would get rid of Isner and make for a more interesting final but it would also mean the tiebreak free fifth set of this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

Anderson winning would get rid of Isner and make for a more interesting final but it would also mean the tiebreak free fifth set of this.

Isner being completely destroyed and ending his career would be a good thing, Anderson should make the sacrifice

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Please don't blow this one, Anderson.

edit: heh.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 13, 2018

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Glare Seethe posted:

Please don't blow this one, Anderson.

edit: heh.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This is it. This is the one.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Glare Seethe posted:

This is it. This is the one.

You're jinxing it.

E: Ah thank god

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Anderson's match with Federer had more points in a shorter time. Testament to the GOAT playing the game the right way

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Think I've turned a corner with this match. Now I kinda want it to go on for another two hours, just for the spectacle and drama.

As long as Anderson wins at the end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gentlemen's Final on Monday.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

This is never going to end.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat. The next one is going to be played under klieg lights toward the end.

E;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

This is crazy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is unreal. I almost don't care who wins at this point. (actually I hope the MAGA Chud loses)

The winner is going to the one whose heart doesn't explode like a wet grenade.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Isner is going to have PTSD at Wimbledon after this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

wyoak posted:

Isner is going to have PTSD at Wimbledon after this

house of horrors

Edit: I am surprised, actually, at the relative dearth of medical retirements this year?

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Isner sure loves him some all time longest game records at Wimbledon.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

house of horrors

Edit: I am surprised, actually, at the relative dearth of medical retirements this year?

A lot of the commentators who are former GS winners have all said the weather is apparently amazing for the athletes bodies the whole tournament so far. I say the ones who have played and won Slams because I figure they know what the hell they're talking about.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

More break points going the way of the dodo.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
This sucks.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
I dislike how this means Rafa-Djoker will start tonight but finish Saturday. Dumb to have a semifinal between those two be split up but I doubt, barring this tiebreak never ending which Isner is adept at, they decide to push things back without making them play... one and a half sets?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

drat it. SOMEONE BREAK. PLEASE.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

If this ends soon and they immediately start closing the roof then maaaaaaaaybe the second match can finish tonight. Although both Nadal and Djokovic take an age between points, and it's unlikely to be a straight sets affair... so probably not.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Since we can't use tiebreakers at some point can we make them start using the opposite hand or play blindfolded or something

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have never seen Hawkeye zoom that far, that was neat

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have never seen Hawkeye zoom that far, that was neat

Yeah, based on what we just saw, I'd guess it's accurate to a matter of millimeters.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Apparently there's a juniors' semi-final mimicking this match as well at the moment - 16-16 in the third, over four hours now.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Nadal/Djoko won't finish today, nice bonus for ticket holders tomorrow.

I'm sick of Isner holding after going 0-30

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Is it loving over yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kevin is not a closer

Edit: Holy poo poo he deserves to win after that return

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 13, 2018