Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Untrustable posted:

I get most of my MMA news here and on Twitter. The fights are secondary. I own a business and am sad I can't put my company name on a fighters shorts. Would Bellator let me do that? I wonder what the pricing is like. I pay 350 bucks to have a banner on the local indie wrestling circuit. If I have to throw down a couple thousand to have my company on a no name Bellator fighter's rear end then so be it.

The world of MMA sponsorship is wide and wonderful and there is a place for you in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Well. Time to find a fighter to sponsor. I know a local dude. He's...not good. But I figure it'd be cheap to throw my name on his shorts.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Alright, who's everyone got this weekend? I think TJ's gonna' cream Cody Garbrandt. Just bust all over him.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Alright, who's everyone got this weekend? I think TJ's gonna' cream Cody Garbrandt. Just bust all over him.

TJ will ejaculate punches on Cody's chin, Mighty Mouse will lovingly caress Cejudo until he can't take anymore, and Cub Swanson will lose a decision to Renato Moicano and I can't make a sex joke about it because it's gonna bum me the gently caress out

actually that worked out in the end, I guess

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

willie_dee posted:

I think Conor hosed everything up by leading by example. When people saw what he got away with they soon followed.

...No one has done what Conors done dude. No one else is doing felonies on the companys behalf for promotional material? He made the UFC more social media-y and poo poo sure, but like thats also a march of time thing too. People were talking about nate not taking fights and stuff, that dudes got his own range of weed. He's probably fine never fighting again. Anyone who isn't already famous isn't going to thrive in the current promotion. You have dudes on the kind of tear Conor was on coming up, and they don't get a push. loving Colby gets a bigger push, why? He's doing all his own promotion. It's cost effective?

The UFC is just aping the WWE now, which is unsustainable because Pro wrestlers are weirdos but they are performers actors etc. Fighters are generally speaking, deeply deranged athletes and whether they can cross over is questionable, Ronda/Conor etc have been in films but they haven't been well received. Lots of bad calls by a talent agency imo, UFC should be run by carnies.

Dan Didio posted:

I really want to see Cody win if only because I like him better, hes the UFCs idiot savant and deserves to be a champ again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Cody might have one big thrust in him and leave TJ weak at the knees. Both men are going to be utterly drenched in body fluids when the fight is over and more than a little tender. It'll be a hard one but the finish will be worth it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think TJ is just stylistically a nightmare for Cody. Cody would have to have a similar strategy as he did in the Cruz fight and stay disciplined for the entire 5 rounds, and from just what I’ve seen of their camp over the last few years, not a single one of the TAM guys can do that over the length of a fight that they aren’t already winning.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Wait Cub is fighting again? After his mournful performance against Edgar? I figured he needed to retire because he really looked like he didn't give a gently caress in that fight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cub desperately wanted a title shot before the Ortega fight but I think at this point he'll settle for a rematch with Aldo. I like Cub, best wishes to him.

1st AD posted:

I think TJ is just stylistically a nightmare for Cody. Cody would have to have a similar strategy as he did in the Cruz fight and stay disciplined for the entire 5 rounds, and from just what I’ve seen of their camp over the last few years, not a single one of the TAM guys can do that over the length of a fight that they aren’t already winning.

Cody planting his feet like he did against Cruz is what got him knocked out in the first fight, so I suspect they'll try something different this time. No idea what that might be aside from the obvious 'don't plant your feet after getting frustrated against a guy with good footwork, angles and power', but hey, he's surprised me before.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Who deserves blame for Alvarez's loss? Mark Henry, Alvarez's coach, says it should be on him.

"If you're going by fault, [on a scale of] one to 10, I'd give it a thousand -- my fault," Henry said on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show on Monday. "I'd say definitely it was my fault."

Video of the pivotal sequence, which took place right in front of Alvarez's corner, shows Henry yelling for his fighter to throw elbows, and in doing so, the coach motions in the illegal 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock angle.

"The first gesture you can see from me is 100 percent the wrong gesture," Henry said. "I wanted him to know we wanted elbows. The second [gesture], you can see me kind of slapping the inside of my elbow. That's the elbow I wanted." Video shows Alvarez briefly looking toward his corner as Henry was making the first elbow gesture. Then he threw the illegal blow, and referee Marc Goddard halted the action and stood the fighters up.

"I wish he would have given us a warning," Henry said of Goddard, whom he nonetheless described as "an amazing referee" and "one of the best."

The coach acknowledged that the call was correct.

"I'm not stupid -- you can't do a 12-6," Henry said. "But it is what I showed. Eddie did look at me at the time. It's 1,000 percent my fault. It's a shame. I definitely let Eddie down and my team down."

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Good on him for owning up to it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Untrustable posted:

I know a local dude. He's...not good.

I heard CM Punk gets mad when people brag about knowing him :ohdear:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard CM Punk gets mad when he loses a one sided mauling by a part time fighter.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 31, 2018

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I’m shocked that Eddie could even process that kind of instruction as the fight was happening in real time.

Dan Didio posted:

Cub desperately wanted a title shot before the Ortega fight but I think at this point he'll settle for a rematch with Aldo. I like Cub, best wishes to him.

Cody planting his feet like he did against Cruz is what got him knocked out in the first fight, so I suspect they'll try something different this time. No idea what that might be aside from the obvious 'don't plant your feet after getting frustrated against a guy with good footwork, angles and power', but hey, he's surprised me before.

Eh...kinda? He wasn’t flat footed entirely in the Cruz fight, he was moving well and constantly cutting Cruz off unless he decided to plant and bop Cruz on the counter.

Against TJ he had success in the first round by moving constantly and catching TJ as he was transitioning from southpaw to orthodox off the lead kick, that lead to that one flurry mid-round that didn’t amount to much and then the knockdown at the end of the round. Both times TJ is in southpaw and throws a rear leg kick, and as he resets Cody counters him hard.

In the second round TJ stops moving almost entirely and...Garbrandt just kind of doesn’t move his feet either, then gets caught off guard with a front leg kick from orthodox and then that right hook from southpaw that leads to the finish. Both times here he’s not really moving well and is outpositioned by TJ - TJ kind of stands there for a bit, then quickly darts in and gets good position before he throws his combo.

I think Cody will probably have a solution for that this time around.

Watching that fight again, I’m impressed with TJ’s dexterity in his punching and kicks, he can throw power shots from both sides in any stance AND he has the fight IQ to change up his attacks and timing when one pattern isn’t working out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

1st AD posted:

plant and bop Cruz on the counter.

This is the planting I'm talking about. He squared up with Cruz and it's where he landed all of his most damaging strikes. Against TJ he fell back on it in the second round because he didn't have an answer to TJ's kicking game and it got him knocked out.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
it was probably really surprising to him that he got knocked out by tj in an exchange. he's so good at those. but tj might be even better because he managed to stay in there for an hour with garbrandt punching him before he won.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lid posted:

Who deserves blame for Alvarez's loss? Mark Henry, Alvarez's coach, says it should be on him.

"If you're going by fault, [on a scale of] one to 10, I'd give it a thousand -- my fault," Henry said on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show on Monday. "I'd say definitely it was my fault."

Video of the pivotal sequence, which took place right in front of Alvarez's corner, shows Henry yelling for his fighter to throw elbows, and in doing so, the coach motions in the illegal 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock angle.

"The first gesture you can see from me is 100 percent the wrong gesture," Henry said. "I wanted him to know we wanted elbows. The second [gesture], you can see me kind of slapping the inside of my elbow. That's the elbow I wanted." Video shows Alvarez briefly looking toward his corner as Henry was making the first elbow gesture. Then he threw the illegal blow, and referee Marc Goddard halted the action and stood the fighters up.

"I wish he would have given us a warning," Henry said of Goddard, whom he nonetheless described as "an amazing referee" and "one of the best."

The coach acknowledged that the call was correct.

"I'm not stupid -- you can't do a 12-6," Henry said. "But it is what I showed. Eddie did look at me at the time. It's 1,000 percent my fault. It's a shame. I definitely let Eddie down and my team down."

...huh, that's refreshingly honest of a coach

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
http://twitter.com/sagenorthcutt/status/1024141391641935872

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm leaving for vacation in a bit so here's the UFC August thread a little early. Enjoy friends.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864645

Edit - Will close the thread basically right before I head out for the airport.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 31, 2018

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

Good on him for owning up to it

Yeah it's very rare to see someone say they are at fault without a doubt or any sort of 'but then again' or something attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK bye folks, have a good week.

• Locked thread