Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a testament to how good Shogun used to be that he's been shedding positive attributes as a fighter since 2006 and he only just lost enough to start losing to journeymen.

Shogun got choked out by Forrest Griffin more than a decade ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

Shogun got choked out by Forrest Griffin more than a decade ago

Forrest wasn't a journeyman, seeing as he actually held the championship.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

Did anything remarkable happen?

Shogun paid tribute to his brother's head as speed bag standing KO.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

He was a champion, but he also got knocked out by Keith Jardine and Jeremy Horn, so I dunno, man

less jokingly: Shogun's great and I will always love him, but his last genuinely good win was seven or eight years ago depending on if you count Forrest II and since then he's gotten choked out by Chael Sonnen, almost knocked out by both a going-on-40 Rogerio and the platonic ideal of the journeyman in Gian Villante, and given a pretty bullshit decision against Beastin' 358/2 Days, so I feel like it's less accurate to say he's only just now at the journeyman level as opposed to "205 is such a garbage fire that 2018 Shogun was a fight away from a title shot based on his victory over a dude who couldn't beat Sam Alvey"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Smith looked really good in the fight even though he's unranked and will never fight for the title in NY.

It's a shame Gus is out of the fight at 227 because that could've been a fun fight.

Also how the hell did smith get to 185lbs? He looked skinny at 205lbs and the dude is 6'4".

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CarlCX posted:

less jokingly: Shogun's great and I will always love him, but his last genuinely good win was seven or eight years ago

This. I mean, somehow he did well at the UFC, but all I remember is the shitshow that was Shogun vs Coleman in the Octagon.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

He was a champion, but he also got knocked out by Keith Jardine and Jeremy Horn, so I dunno, man

less jokingly: Shogun's great and I will always love him, but his last genuinely good win was seven or eight years ago depending on if you count Forrest II and since then he's gotten choked out by Chael Sonnen, almost knocked out by both a going-on-40 Rogerio and the platonic ideal of the journeyman in Gian Villante, and given a pretty bullshit decision against Beastin' 358/2 Days, so I feel like it's less accurate to say he's only just now at the journeyman level as opposed to "205 is such a garbage fire that 2018 Shogun was a fight away from a title shot based on his victory over a dude who couldn't beat Sam Alvey"

Rampage and Chuck both also nearly got knocked out by Jardine, and Horn legit subbed Liddell.

Shogun lost his attributes in stages. First it was his dynamic top game, then his takedowns, then his footwork and finally his chin. Up until his chin went, he could still knock people out with no apparent effort because he could shrug off their efforts and counter. Now, he can't wear a punch and his defence was never great.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This. I mean, somehow he did well at the UFC, but all I remember is the shitshow that was Shogun vs Coleman in the Octagon.

That was the first Shogun fight I saw, which made his fanatical, obnoxious fans much more confusing.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The only things I can remember about Shoguns career after Jones killed him is fighting Hendo and losing to Chael.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Anyone have lowlight gifs?

https://twitter.com/Hamderlei/status/1021139455149854721

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

slev posted:

The only things I can remember about Shoguns career after Jones killed him is fighting Hendo and losing to Chael.

I remember his war against Brandon Vera.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

cisneros posted:

Brandon Vera.

There's a name I haven't thought about in years

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Snowman_McK posted:

Rampage and Chuck both also nearly got knocked out by Jardine

Pretty sure Chuck did get knocked out by Jardine

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://streamable.com/0lmtm

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Snowman_McK posted:

That was the first Shogun fight I saw, which made his fanatical, obnoxious fans much more confusing.

I was that rear end in a top hat re: Crocop, and being in a room with a bunch of my friends who'd never heard of him until I kept saying, "THIS DUDE KICKS PEOPLE'S SKULLS OFF," up until they watched him get his own skull kicked off by Gabriel Gonzaga was...

...distressing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cisneros posted:

I remember his war against Brandon Vera.

That was the rubicon moment for Shogun's career. A thrilling back and forth battle with Brandon Vera. It's a really good fight and very much the highlight of Brandon Vera's weird career, but Shogun really should have walked through him.

Nothing But Hate posted:

Pretty sure Chuck did get knocked out by Jardine

He got dropped and badly outstruck, but managed to make it to the final bell, which is quite an achievment for latter day Chuck.

I was that rear end in a top hat re: Crocop, and being in a room with a bunch of my friends who'd never heard of him until I kept saying, "THIS DUDE KICKS PEOPLE'S SKULLS OFF," up until they watched him get his own skull kicked off by Gabriel Gonzaga was...

...distressing.

It's more distressing that Gonzaga literally never did another noteworthy thing. It's not like Crocop got loving destroyed by some world beater.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 24, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Snowman_McK posted:

It's more distressing that Gonzaga literally never did another noteworthy thing. It's not like Crocop got loving destroyed by some world beater.

Oh yeah, I had a minor freak out because I missed the Couture vs Gonzaga fight to attend a wedding, and found out later how badly he lost to Couture and had a sad. :sigh:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

if you showed me Eddie getting rocked as a silhouette, I bet I’d be able to guess who it was

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Snowman_McK posted:

He got dropped and badly outstruck, but managed to make it to the final bell, which is quite an achievment for latter day Chuck.

Wow you are 100% correct and I must have severely misremembered some poo poo to think that. Maybe I’m remembering an alternate timeline.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nothing But Hate posted:

Wow you are 100% correct and I must have severely misremembered some poo poo to think that. Maybe I’m remembering an alternate timeline.

Nah, Chuck got knocked out a lot, including by a one armed Rich Franklin. Easy mistake to make. Jardine did knock out Forrest, though.

Oh yeah, I had a minor freak out because I missed the Couture vs Gonzaga fight to attend a wedding, and found out later how badly he lost to Couture and had a sad. :sigh:

I never forgave him for losing to Browne, briefly prolonging his relevance

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's weird how poirier went from an exciting featherweight prospect, to a weird loser who told his opponent they were taking away his destiny when he was getting his rear end kicked, to a genuine elite level fighter at lightweight.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That fight really cemented my love of Couture. Old man coming back from retirement, moving up a weight class, beating Sylvia for the belt, then defending it against Gonzaga.

Oh and Gonzaga tried to kick Randy's skull off, but succeeded only in breaking Randy's arm.

Impressive as hell that Randy still finished Gonzaga in that fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, Chuck got knocked out a lot, including by a one armed Rich Franklin. Easy mistake to make. Jardine did knock out Forrest, though.

I never forgave him for losing to Browne, briefly prolonging his relevance

He knocked him out with the broken arm iirc.

drat

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He knocked him out with the broken arm iirc.

Rich Franklin did the same to Chuck too, IIRC.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
dustin is gonna piece eddie up again, but hes gotta be careful when eddie enables DAWG mode

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Wise Learned Man posted:

Rich Franklin did the same to Chuck too, IIRC.

Yeah that's who I was talking about.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 24, 2018

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6197Nh7PNQ

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah that's who I was talking about.

clearly i had a stroke. i thought you were talking about randy/gonzaga because of the pic i guess

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
sorry its a little back but jardine "beating" chuck and forrest whooping shogun were absolutely devastating and are some of the main reasons i can never love again

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9WOdnR-Nfs

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

sorry its a little back but jardine "beating" chuck and forrest whooping shogun were absolutely devastating and are some of the main reasons i can never love again

It's okay, man. We're here for you. This is a safe, warm place. I nearly lost it when Rose lost to Carla.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We all lost is when Rose KO'd Joana tho :allears:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i got a lot of respect for eddie. hes a true fighter. but i think hes gonna get hurt bad and tko'd unless he changes some poo poo up for the rematch

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Costa vs Yoel apparently got announced but it might be fake news

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I like that match up I don’t think it would go well for costa

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.instagram.com/p/BloC1WYliPn/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11lx3c7dpy86o

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They look to be on equal amounts of steroids so I'm all about it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I kinda love that fight

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a juicy fight and I will be watching it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

That's a juicy fight and I will be watching it.

I see what you did there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1021884998025129984

And watch Till miss weight.

• Locked thread