Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah definitely just too much quantity and not enough quality. You know poo poo is weird when you read this subforum daily and events somehow sneak up on you that you didn't know were happening. I can't imagine many people have the time or desire nowadays to follow the (small and short) buildup to the non-mega cards because holy poo poo there are so many.

That and like people have said the drat things start at like 6 pm eastern and go until like 1 am eastern and you just get burned out. I enjoy watching prelims and stuff but it still feels like too much. That and a huge percentage of fights get cancelled for injury and weight cutting so even the cards you do look forward to fall apart.

It took fox 3 hours to show 4 fights yesterday. I waited until after the event was over so I could skip to the end of the introductions and the card took about an hour to watch. Events have far too much dead air these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

ESPN promotion will probably help ratings some

i also wish they'd do events, especially fight nights or fox equivalent types on days other than Saturdays, since thats the worst night for watching sports really.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the reebok deal and banning individual sponsors killed a lot of guy's visual style and now it really is red versus blue a ton of the time. it seems very corporate now instead of catering to an audience and expressing a point of view, even if that audience was METAL MULISHA and CORN NUTS

UFC would be better if it had Hannibal Buress' face on the ring

Snowman_McK posted:

There was an article a few years ago on the close correlation between someone's favourtie sports and their political affiliation/engagement. PGA was, unsurprisingly, very right wing, but UFC fans were, on the whole, way over on the left.

Skip My Posts posted:

post the made up article

2013 https://www.businessinsider.com/politics-sports-you-like-2013-3 One google search

His question's wrong of course lol but the article exists

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 30, 2018

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

There was an article a few years ago on the close correlation between someone's favourtie sports and their political affiliation/engagement. PGA was, unsurprisingly, very right wing, but UFC fans were, on the whole, way over on the left. Do you think, in a roundabout way, White's association and occasional, half hearted defence of Trump is somehow hurting their numbers? I mean, there's a lot of reasons the UFC is hurting, but could that be part of it? It's already perceived by a lot of people as the chosen sport of the far right, even though, according to that article, it isn't.

lol

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Maybe the reason UFC isn't doing so well is because a superfight involves a guy who has had three fights people cared about, two of which ended in him getting his poo poo pushed in and crying, and the third involved him laying on his opponent because he was afraid to hurt someone in an MMA fight.

Nah, that can't be it, it's POLITICS.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
lol if you think mma watchers vote

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The same article suggests the UFC fans have low poll turnout, which would suggest high voter apathy, which would in turn suggest they aren't likely to get mad that Dana White supports Donald Trump, even if they don't like Trump themselves.

Anyway, I do think that a lot of things are contributing to a decrease in per-event viewership but event fatigue is, from my perspective, the big one. That's impacting "die hard" fans like us as much as it is the dudes who still go into video rental places to see middleweight champ Anderson Silva. Earlier in the thread I said if the UFC reduced the number of live shows they do to more historical numbers then we would be in a golden age of fights right now. I know the biggest names are not fighting anymore or periodically come back to deminish their drawing power a bit with lackluster fights, but I think the talent is there broadly, but it's spread so thin since each event needs to have at least one name fight on it as the main event so there are fewer stacked cards, and even when you do get a stacked card like last night it's sandwiched between so many other events it sneaks up on people who discuss it online every day as a hobby, let alone more occasional viewers. The view rates are discernably dropping compared to cards of equal or even lesser value five or six years ago.

The sheer volume of fights also makes it hard to follow and get excited for new prospects as well. Not too long ago if a guy made his UFC debut knocking out a respectable journeyman like Beneil Dariush they would have immediately been on my radar, but I forgot Alexander Hernandez even existed and honestly will probably forget again even though he decisively beat Aubin-Mercier who is another somewhat notable win. Not too long ago I probably was at least passingly familiar with 75-80% of the UFC roster at any given time and new people came along pretty frequently I got excited for, now there are just so drat many people filling out the undercard for the Weekly Fight that it is hard to see someone enough to remember them unless they have a very unique/noteworthy look or personality like Mike Perry or Sage Northcutt. It makes it harder to get excited for fights and without weirdos like us enthusiastically talking up Gay Skinhead Fighting at the water cooler or the ball pit at our local Burger King then it can't be good for tangental views either.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Byolante posted:

It took fox 3 hours to show 4 fights yesterday. I waited until after the event was over so I could skip to the end of the introductions and the card took about an hour to watch. Events have far too much dead air these days.

Yeah same.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
that article says ufc fans have extremely low voting turnout and are nowhere near way on the left lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

post the made up article

Who would make up an article that dull?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Maybe the reason UFC isn't doing so well is because a superfight involves a guy who has had three fights people cared about, two of which ended in him getting his poo poo pushed in and crying, and the third involved him laying on his opponent because he was afraid to hurt someone in an MMA fight.

Nah, that can't be it, it's POLITICS.

Okay, for a start, I said that might be one factor, not the factor.

Second, in 2013, there was a superfight between Aldo and Edgar, great fighters who nobody gave a poo poo about, yet it did 330 thousand. Stuff has changed.

Skip My Posts posted:

that article says ufc fans have extremely low voting turnout and are nowhere near way on the left lol

You're right. I misread it. They're center left.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

what's changed is there's 300 shows a year full of fights with dudes that have made up names, and any exciting champion (whitaker, hollaway) made their name on fight nights from sioux falls, while the long-time champs are boring as gently caress or midgets not named floyd

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
theyre less skewed to the left than pro bull riding is to the right lmao

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

yea ok posted:

what's changed is there's 300 shows a year full of fights with dudes that have made up names, and any exciting champion (whitaker, hollaway) made their name on fight nights from sioux falls, while the long-time champs are boring as gently caress or midgets not named floyd

There were 33 cards in 2013, and 39 in 2017. in 2013, there were cards headlined by Mark Munoz. Mike Ricci and Diego Brandao were on the main cards of their biggest shows.

And back then people were complaining about watered down cards as well.

Skip My Posts posted:

theyre less skewed to the left than pro bull riding is to the right lmao

What point do you think this makes?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
youre right dude its because of trump

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

the entire basis for your stupid rear end trump post was made up lol, theyre almost right in the middle and its a dumb rear end article int he first place

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I agree it's definitely because of Trump and not because of everything else everyone has been saying.

Sad!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

What's changed is every star they've made is either retired, dead, in Bellator, in WWE, was always on roids, or won't fight anyone who's not a Diaz or a boxer and certainly won't defend a loving belt against either

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

There were 33 cards in 2013, and 39 in 2017. in 2013, there were cards headlined by Mark Munoz. Mike Ricci and Diego Brandao were on the main cards of their biggest shows.

people back then were complaining about watered down cards, and there are even more lovely cards that are even more watered down now and doing worse numbers?? thanks for agreeing i guess lol. that munoz card did 122k viewers on a made up station though, pretty impressive. take a hike dork

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

1st AD posted:

Their numbers suck because the big stars never fight or they retired and there’s 40 cards a year, and all the TV cards take 5 hours to watch 4 fights.

Also i wonder how much illegal streaming is killing the numbers. Is PPV in general hurting?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

sorry for being mean just then

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

39 is higher than 33.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I 100% agree with how lame and sucky UFC cards are on FOX based networks. It's the same 5 ads every few minutes. I don't need a documentary series of every loving person. If you wanna tell me about the history and personal struggles of fighter X, get that poo poo done with during the walkouts.

A lot of divisions champs are trash heaps, put that on free TV. Not every PPV needs a belt fight. PPV needs compelling fights, even if a belt isn't on the line.

Only because of this thread I knew there was a FOX show, and I like to think of myself as a serious fan. It's just that there aren't nearly as many quality shows on, and I can kinda count on garbage shows just about every weekend.

That being said, the main even was cool and good.

Lorenzo/Frank, please come back.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Byolante posted:

Events have far too much dead air these days.

Bluedeanie posted:

Anyway, I do think that a lot of things are contributing to a decrease in per-event viewership but event fatigue is, from my perspective, the big one. The sheer volume of fights also makes it hard to follow and get excited for new prospects as well. It makes it harder to get excited for fights and without weirdos like us enthusiastically talking up Gay Skinhead Fighting at the water cooler or the ball pit at our local Burger King then it can't be good for tangental views either.

yea ok posted:

Chris James 2 posted:

What's changed is every star they've made is either retired, dead, in Bellator, in WWE, was always on roids, or won't fight anyone who's not a Diaz or a boxer and certainly won't defend a loving belt against either

TheReverend posted:

I don't need a documentary series of every loving person. If you wanna tell me about the history and personal struggles of fighter X, get that poo poo done with during the walkouts.

Agreed

Edit: The last one is especially funny during PPV events that you've already supposedly paid for and are currently watching yet they give you the entire backstory like it's day one fight buildup promotion. It's too late for that now, let them fuckin' fight. We bought the show or we're in the seat at the arena already - get poo poo going.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 30, 2018

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
jfc thread

those body shot ko’s were sick

aldos punch made as much noise as old mate copping a whole shin slap

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

The same article suggests the UFC fans have low poll turnout, which would suggest high voter apathy, which would in turn suggest they aren't likely to get mad that Dana White supports Donald Trump, even if they don't like Trump themselves.

Anyway, I do think that a lot of things are contributing to a decrease in per-event viewership but event fatigue is, from my perspective, the big one. That's impacting "die hard" fans like us as much as it is the dudes who still go into video rental places to see middleweight champ Anderson Silva. Earlier in the thread I said if the UFC reduced the number of live shows they do to more historical numbers then we would be in a golden age of fights right now. I know the biggest names are not fighting anymore or periodically come back to deminish their drawing power a bit with lackluster fights, but I think the talent is there broadly, but it's spread so thin since each event needs to have at least one name fight on it as the main event so there are fewer stacked cards, and even when you do get a stacked card like last night it's sandwiched between so many other events it sneaks up on people who discuss it online every day as a hobby, let alone more occasional viewers. The view rates are discernably dropping compared to cards of equal or even lesser value five or six years ago.

The sheer volume of fights also makes it hard to follow and get excited for new prospects as well. Not too long ago if a guy made his UFC debut knocking out a respectable journeyman like Beneil Dariush they would have immediately been on my radar, but I forgot Alexander Hernandez even existed and honestly will probably forget again even though he decisively beat Aubin-Mercier who is another somewhat notable win. Not too long ago I probably was at least passingly familiar with 75-80% of the UFC roster at any given time and new people came along pretty frequently I got excited for, now there are just so drat many people filling out the undercard for the Weekly Fight that it is hard to see someone enough to remember them unless they have a very unique/noteworthy look or personality like Mike Perry or Sage Northcutt. It makes it harder to get excited for fights and without weirdos like us enthusiastically talking up Gay Skinhead Fighting at the water cooler or the ball pit at our local Burger King then it can't be good for tangental views either.

poo poo - this is the missing piece of the puzzle. Death of blockbuster -> decline of UFC.

Also know what's crazy? OAM was on a 4-fight win streak going into that fight. Back in the days of bigger buzz, guys were getting title shots off of 3-fight streaks. That you can call a guy like Aubin-Mercier "somewhat notable" just shows how weak their hype machine has gotten. Dudes need to be winning like 8 in a row to get attention in some cases now. That's gonzo.

They need to bring back the WEC and move everyone beyond the top 25 or 30 in every division down there.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Everything is bad cause they got rid of cum shorts and steroids

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BT Sport have lost the UK UFC broadcast rights.

I haven't seen anything about who has picked them up or if they plan to go PPV.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I thought U.K. didn’t have ppv and that’s why it was on bt sport

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They were floating the idea of cheap PPV for UFC last year, maybe early this year, could be the way they go moving forward. If I remember right, they might have said £5, but it could easily have been £15.

They're not going to get anywhere if they do that. Low quality product at 3am? I don't even watch it when it's free most of the time. Too draining.

PPV Boxing is a thing over here though, if you just mean general "UK doesn't have PPV".

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Snowman_McK posted:

There was an article a few years ago on the close correlation between someone's favourtie sports and their political affiliation/engagement. PGA was, unsurprisingly, very right wing, but UFC fans were, on the whole, way over on the left. Do you think, in a roundabout way, White's association and occasional, half hearted defence of Trump is somehow hurting their numbers? I mean, there's a lot of reasons the UFC is hurting, but could that be part of it? It's already perceived by a lot of people as the chosen sport of the far right, even though, according to that article, it isn't.

No.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man watching Stephens just crumple to the ground in that Aldo fight was a hell of a thing. The fact he lasted as long as he did after that was pretty remarkable.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't imagine most people taking a shot to that area and lasting longer. It was a perfect spot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ the end of Alvarez/Poirier :stare:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
eddie and gaethje got that grotesque ability to be insanely knocked out and remain conscious

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You know the problem with fights? There’s too drat many of them. Back in my day we had 6 pay per views a year and we were god damned grateful to watch Tim the Maineiac Sylvia fight another fat guy confused about the jab.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly if ESPN employs the DWTNCS model of fights with just a bit of fluff for their broadcasts (aka no more 7 hour shows) of fight nights, it'd be fine. I'd even be on board with a weekly event but i doubt the UFC wants to schedule stuff like that due to all the other moving parts involved to do so.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

i think i read they might be 2 or 3 hr shows not sure if espn will handle the production either

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I used to stay up until or set an alarm for 4 am to watch every single event but Im in my 20s now ... need to sleep + wake up at a similar time every night, its the beginning of old age.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think ufc also lost a lot of credibility when they started moving away from the pretense of being a real sport. i mean mma has always been a freak show but broadly speaking the fighters had a linear progression towards a title if they kept winning. now it's guys with six fight win streaks buried on the undercards which would have been insane five years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Nice! posted:

You know the problem with fights? There’s too drat many of them. Back in my day we had 6 pay per views a year and we were god damned grateful to watch Tim the Maineiac Sylvia fight another fat guy confused about the jab.

i don't think anyone is clamoring to see tim sylvia... but fights definitely feel a lot less special, even something like cormier/stipe. gsp/penn 2 felt so much bigger to me, personally. and apparently to the fans as well given the buyrate.

• Locked thread