Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

ever since Felix tweeted the blanca meme, we knew he was around here somewhere

he did? at least he picked a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I honestly didn't expect the book to suck this much

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

You’re right but he wasn’t head matchmaker until Tito suggested him to Dana after the zuffa purchase. Cool story lol

INT. SOMEWHERE IN THE SOUTH/KITCHEN - DAY (EARLY DAYS OF
SLAVERY)

Joe Silva's grandmother carries a tape of grainy Bucharest-ian MMA into a dining
room. She puts it in the VCR in front of a wealthy white
man.

TITO (V.O.)
And her momma before her momma watched
MMA, too. Joe's family knew
everything...

INT. HIGH SCHOOL AUDITORIUM CORRIDOR - DAY (1996)

TITO (V.O.)
...there was to know about the
punchin' business.

JOE
I know everything there is to know
about the punchin' business. Matter
of fact, I'm goin' into the match makin'
business for myself after I finally
stop mopping up after Dana's freakshow.

TITO
Okay.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

being as desperate as they appear to be for ppv draws, i wouldn't be surprised to see the diaz brothers back fighting for titles soon.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

according to a ufc facebook post dan hooker / barboza might be a thing. that's, uh, quite a step up for hooker.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Try and schedule him vs TJ on the Cormier/Brock card and see if he still says no.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

or against Cody if Cody wins

yeah both really loving good fights.

i don't care about what dana thinks the fight is worth it is the fight i want to see in the ufc and i hope it happens.

where the gently caress is sean shelby on this. if this was joe silva he'd be pissing in dana's ear non stop, waking him up at 3am offering to pay the difference himself and poo poo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

then again if this was two champions in joe silva's old wheelhouse wanting to fight each other dana would be offering them blowjobs and stock options

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol. he's obese.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

Korean Zombie vs Frankie Edgar for UFC 229 in October

Gonna be real weird cheering insanely hard against Frankie for once

That's sick and will be great.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

[url]https://streamja.com/jew7[/url]

what

:tinfoil:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Barcelos making a super impressive debut

Thanks for reminding me of that guy. That combo was filthy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

25 minutes in a cage with yoel Romero usually results in a moderate to severe case of dead I think whittaker did really well on that front.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i respect cyborg after the holly holm fight.

every other performance of her career repulses me on a primal level. it's a combination of her rampant and truly epic abuse of steroids, the almost impossibly low calibre of her opponents, the made up title in a made up weight division, and the fact that she is an actual draw that curdles a cyborg fight into a deeply unsettling farce that feels like a blood sacrifice to the ugliest parts of humanity brought into the light by the elephant man, frankenstein's monster, and pt barnum's parade of unfortunates.

the fact that requesting cindy dandois is among the most offensive acts of her career is staggering. that streamable of dandois fighting in the ufc is literally unbelievable.

c'est la vie

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i don't want cyborg / dandois to take the place of any fight on any card because it is not a legitimate contest. nobody would sanction lawler / cmpunk. even the shadier native american commissions would pause at that. how the gently caress can the same commissions even consider what is ostensibly at least as big of a mismatch?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Cyborg ducking and trying to wrangle circumstances to be her absolute benefit has been her game forever, it's really weird to because she could still probably comfortably beat pretty much everyone.

poo poo, i respect it. getting paid insane amounts of money to take zero damage and effortlessly destroy a person who is explicitly there to lose while increasing your stock because your fanbase consists entirely of effete deviants with extremely specific kinks is an enviable point in the career of someone who looks like, and is, cris cyborg.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

It would be a lot more palatable to me if she were just beating up bad legit featherweights rather than beating women significantly smaller than her bloody and sometimes missing weight while doing it.

the best natural 145er in the world other than cyborg just got embarrassed by holly holm's wrestling. i just... cannot get my head around the gulf in talent.

Dan Didio posted:

I actually know someone who fought her, which I always forget.

that's cool. any passingly interesting anecdotes? a guy i work with knew the aforementioned second best w145er in the world personally when she wasn't a pro fighter. he said, quote, 'she is loving huge'. that's my story.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

I always forget that the UFC decided to have Holly fight Anderson, such a weird decision.

right? the only other 'credible' challenger to cyborg other than nunes and they fed her to holm for no reason. unless you consider removing any credibility she had carried over from invicta while not changing holm's career trajectory one little bit a reason, for some reason.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'd watch it if holm promises to that exact same combination she threw non-stop the entire last fight. i just could not stop thinking about how she was a professional boxer. a world champion boxer. and a world champion mixed martial artist. wmma still finding ways to be absolutely and utterly bizarre.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this is true

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

jay z's sedan posted:

you've seen cyborgs record right?

i have, but to be honest i'm having trouble parsing your point...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

how. the gently caress is shogun on a really loving respectable 3 fight streak (lil nog, beastin, weidman's friend)?

well, if shogun or that smith dude get a quick ko and can safely do a quick turn around, the gus fight would be good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also, in poo poo no same person really cares about news, dc has replaced mm at the top of the p4p list. fair call imo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

they should strip covington and then cut him from the roster completely.

can't wait to see how till's tentative technical striking will match up with woodley's unique style. after we find out, just close down the welterweight division for 6 months. completely strip it. like it never existed. then open it again and have a ww tournament and we'll start all over.

ww since lawler's reign has been as tragic as mark hunt's childhood and way less violent.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

have you guys seen that ww tournament that's happening in bellator? it is, no poo poo, better than whatever the gently caress the ufc's ww division has become by orders of magnitude.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

The Woodley Era isn't as bad as you make it out to sound. He has had some bad fights but also good fights too. If GSP had to fight Demian Maia and a cowardly ineffectual Wonderboy then his fights might have been better than Woodley's but not by a lot. I think the depth of contendership is just weak right now by comparison to 5-8 years ago.

no champion has ever had 3 title fights in a row as bad as wonderboy 1,2, and maia. there are very, very few champions who have had one title defence as bad as any of those three, let alone all three in succession.

woodley has built a case for being the most unwatchable champion in combat sports.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pepperchomp posted:

Anderson silva?

unless i am very much mistaken he had two unwatchable fights against maia and leites and they were not back to back so i don't know what purpose saying his name serves

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

tim sylvia had the awful arlovski and monson title fights back to back. but sylvia is probably the most hated ufc champion in history so woodley's in good company.

that is a loving grim indictment lol.

even if sylvia had a third we'd have to stop judging it based on effective striking and grappling (number of unwatchable fights in a row) and start looking at aggression and octagon control (calibre of the weight class they are / were intent on making unwatchable with their antics) and i'm going to have to still give woodley the tedious majority decision.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

er, yeah i've got nothing really to say to that. ok.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's so loving cool that cormier knocked out stipe. it didn't even go for a full round but the 3 or so minutes it went on for qualifies it for roty imo. drat. fat dad.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pepperchomp posted:

Haven't all the big champs caught poo poo for boring fights? I coulda sworn gsp had some boring ones. Or Ben Henderson? Or Aldo? Idk, I'm not defending Woodley or anything cause his last few fights have been dog poo poo. But my mma memory is gettin kinda fuzzy and now I'm really trying to think of some boring rear end title fights that I regret paying for over the years.

I just remembered i bought shields vs gsp and that poo poo was boring. And i think i bought florian vs aldo and that was boring too i think.

yeah man i'm not sure you're on the same page as me or any of the other people discussing woodley's title reign but that's cool, it's always good to hear what fights people thought were tedious or whatever.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

woodley getting owned by marquardt's incredible combination

a lil catharsis for us all https://streamable.com/wy6mn

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

jones / osp was an abortion but yeah in general ufc champs loving own and that's why it's so unusual to have such a strong case for hating a champion specifically because his title fights suck to a crazy degree

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

drat that's cool

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that fight ends in a knockout and i give the edge to perry. cerrone loving loves to get hit in the head. that said though, if cerrone pulls off one of those sick 6 hit combos like the rick story ko and switches off perry's r-word brain that would be equally sick.

such a good fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

donald cerrone could easily wrestle and submit perry but instead he will get knocked out by him because he is allergic to fighting like the extremely well-rounded fighter he is

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i think it's good to know the difference between a swear word and a slur and to adjust your posting accordingly so our mod doesn't have to do anything.

it's a cruel world that we've lost so many good community members to the wind but fozzy is still here.

i often wonder if atom is really gone or if he came back as a re-reg and is actually just a normal dude. we know it's possible because mobn did it and that was one of the most impressive things i've ever seen.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Neurosis posted:

mobn did not come back as normal or a dude.

bad choice of pronoun on my part for sure, but when i say 'normal' i mean an unoffensive contributor that i never had a problem with and who i never in a million years suspected of being mobn

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

if you made fun of him at all he would accuse you of stalkign him online

is this before or after she was exposed as the mobn rereg? i honestly don't remember her saying or doing any weird poo poo in the mma threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

same.

• Locked thread