Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
holloway/ortega was the first time in a long time i've been super excited about a fight. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

spb posted:

gastellum doesn't have a chance

it's a cool fight. idk what everyone's problem is.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bob Morales posted:

Are they, though?

Look at other sports - you can give the average joe all the steroids you want and they still won't hit a homerun, throw a 90mph fast ball, make a 3 pointer...Sure you're going to be stronger but you won't magically gain reflexes and coordination and technique.

how many average joes do you think make it to the ufc

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Snowman_McK posted:

Travis Browne waves awkwardly from the corner, then flips out the window like his bones exploded.

browne is funny because he's super tough, flexible, hits hard. but just seems to lack some fundamental body coordination that you need to fight at a high level.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Best Friends posted:

Okay im sold he fought with a gameplan that could only lead to defeat and is different from every way he fought before because he is a coward. Well off to the computer factory

have you watched much mma

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
dc would kill fedor but like which peak 2005 fighter wouldn't get killed against the modern ufc champion of their division. young gsp and anderson, maybe?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i was watching holloway and ortega matches and they both fought cub and it suddenly struck me that he's been a skilled brawler guy for so long that everyone's now forgotten that he used to be a joke. what a career turnaround that was.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Skip My Posts posted:

drat was he? I thought he was always seen as pretty good

he was one of those guys who wasn't good at anything but was really tough and had a lot of cardio and aggression. i think right after WEC folded he became way better really fast.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
also the legendary aldo KO haunted him for years.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i like sage northcutt and i hope that he becomes a great fighter without disappearing in a mountain of cocaine

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
anderson is in the same position that chuck was in when he was getting destroyed, he could probably beat a lot of people outside of like the top 10-15 but it's a waste to pay an old guy that much to fight a nobody.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

idk if roundtree is any good but he seems like he hits super hard which might be really bad for gustafsson.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

lmao

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bundt Cake posted:

why are two no names even in the conversation at ww. theres like 10 legendary guys in the division

i think all the legendary guys are coming off losses. the whole divison's kind of in the poo poo at the moment.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

no champion has ever had 3 title fights in a row as bad as wonderboy 1,2, and maia. there are very, very few champions who have had one title defence as bad as any of those three, let alone all three in succession.

woodley has built a case for being the most unwatchable champion in combat sports.

tim sylvia had the awful arlovski and monson title fights back to back. but sylvia is probably the most hated ufc champion in history so woodley's in good company.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

that is a loving grim indictment lol.

even if sylvia had a third we'd have to stop judging it based on effective striking and grappling (number of unwatchable fights in a row) and start looking at aggression and octagon control (calibre of the weight class they are / were intent on making unwatchable with their antics) and i'm going to have to still give woodley the tedious majority decision.

i think the two are weirdly comparable because they've been on both sides of legendary finishes (sylvia getting his arm snapped by mir, the first two arlovski fights, getting choked by big nog, etc.; woodley getting owned by marquardt's incredible combination, the truly vicious koscheck ko, knocking out lawler in the first round, etc.) but they both have wiped away all that goodwill with consistently awful and boring fights.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

i really wish marquardt had been a great fighter sometimes.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bundt Cake posted:

anderson did deal with people thinking he actually sucked until he killed hendo and there was a lot of backlash after the maia fight in particular

i think he figured out that he couldn't lose if he never lead, and no one in the division was good enough to make him lead. i also think that he's one of the guys who really changed mma striking because all the guys who watched him destroy people probably were imagining ways to beat him for years. necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

henkman posted:

Shogun/hendo 1 is the perfect MMA fight

it was a great fight but a better fight happened that same night in bellator of all places, alvarez vs. chandler was just as crazy and a lot less sloppy.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's weird how poirier went from an exciting featherweight prospect, to a weird loser who told his opponent they were taking away his destiny when he was getting his rear end kicked, to a genuine elite level fighter at lightweight.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think ufc also lost a lot of credibility when they started moving away from the pretense of being a real sport. i mean mma has always been a freak show but broadly speaking the fighters had a linear progression towards a title if they kept winning. now it's guys with six fight win streaks buried on the undercards which would have been insane five years ago.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Nice! posted:

You know the problem with fights? There’s too drat many of them. Back in my day we had 6 pay per views a year and we were god damned grateful to watch Tim the Maineiac Sylvia fight another fat guy confused about the jab.

i don't think anyone is clamoring to see tim sylvia... but fights definitely feel a lot less special, even something like cormier/stipe. gsp/penn 2 felt so much bigger to me, personally. and apparently to the fans as well given the buyrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it was probably really surprising to him that he got knocked out by tj in an exchange. he's so good at those. but tj might be even better because he managed to stay in there for an hour with garbrandt punching him before he won.

• Locked thread