Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Considering Garbrandt got KO'd rather definitively I dont see why they're doing a rematch right away but whatever.

Because Cody came within moments of getting a definitive KO himself.

Mekchu posted:

one guy is rocked horribly but gets a quick comeback KO a la Scott Smith.

That's more or less what happened.

Skip My Posts posted:

Maybe he’d start making more later if he fought and won bigger fights now

Against noted PPV draw TJ Dillashaw, for instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah dunno why people would want him to take on the best possible guy who is also a champ in the biggest possible fight lol. instead we get 2 rematches for guys who got cleanly finished. uhhhh yeah his company wants to reduce his earning potential thats mainly derived from his ability to earn them money

And whoever heard of UFC management being dumb and spiteful in a self destructive way?

You've been shitposting for over a decade, how are you so bad at it?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 3, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

vainman posted:

I feel like Horigutchi was the guy to take DJ's belt and he just needed a year or two to develop

That was a great fight. You could see how good Horiguchi was. And you could also see that DJ was a lot better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cody flattened TJ late in the first round and I'm pretty sure TJ was essentially saved by the bell.

I mean, he scored his own knockout early the next round, but still. Both guys showed that they could absolutely beat the other.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

He knocked TJ down and landed one clean punch before TJ started defending and began fighting his way back up to his feet. It was close to the bell and Cody hits hard, but it was nowhere near definitive or 'saved by the bell'.

Mekchu posted:

TJ was in trouble but not "seconds from being stopped" because Garbrandt didnt push him and TJ spent the rest of the round blocking/moving way more.

TJ also had better footwork and methods to finish the fight than Cody did. The headkicks by TJ were pretty effective.

The rest of the round was less than ten seconds, and TJ spent the whole time scrambling to his feet without his hands up. The round ended before Cody could follow up. TJ surviving had very little to do with TJ.

Gay Horney posted:

Yeah gee who would want to see fights. That's why I'm rooting for al Iaquinta to become a real estate mogul so we never have to see him fight again. I don't even watch fights i just look to see who got the bonuses and yell at dana white on Twitter

You are aware that there is a difference between 'I don't want any fights' (the position you're arguing against) and 'i want a fighter i like to be well paid'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

He was still bobbing his head avoiding punches pretty easily while pushing Cody away on his way back up to his feet from a knelt position.

The only time in that exchange Cody was close to finishing was when TJ was on his side/back after the knockdown and he let TJ work his way to his feet less than 10 seconds later.

I'm watching it right now. One punch misses because TJ bobbed under it and it was literally at the moment of the bell. The rest either connect or miss through dumb luck and TJ visibly struggles to get his feet under him.

Maybe he couldn't have recovered, maybe he could have, but it was loving close and he was really loving lucky the round ended when it did.

https://gfycat.com/TanClassicInexpectatumpleco

The whole sequence is about 4 seconds.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

We can tell by how you changed from ‘tj was saved by the bell, had nothing to do with him’ to ‘ahhh maybe he could have recovered, who truly knows’.

Oh, he was saved by the bell. There's a possibilty that he might have recovered but there was a much greater chance that the badly rocked fighter would have been finished by the guy who just rocked him and has bricks for hands. I'm just being polite and acknowledging the possiblity that you're correct.

Dan Didio posted:

Trapping Cody’s near arm and pounding him unconscious was such a slick move to get the finish. If Cody’d Done something similar, he would have had a way better chance of finishing it in the first.
If he'd had more than three seconds, he might have.

Mekchu posted:

Holloway vs anyone is an exciting matchup.

The closest thing he's had to a bad fight is the Jeremy Stephens fight, and that was because Jeremy Stephens hits bullshit hard and makes a lot of guys fight cautiously. His list of wins is full of dudes who thought they could trade with him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

how did he cop a hit that big this close to the event. surely you cut out hard sparring a few weeks out

You can just be really loving unlucky.

Psychepath posted:

Having "obvious concussion like symptoms" for days and then successfully convincing his team to get him back into open workouts. That's a lot of people who let this guy put himself into more and more danger.

Remember that this is a sport and a culture where cornermen shoved someone who'd lost all four rounds out into the fifth round despite their fighter wanting to quit. And the fighter ended up apologising to their cornermen.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I know they are blaming concussion but that’s gotta be a cover story for a bad weight cut

Max is a large featherweight and would have to start his cut process well in advance of the fight

"No, he's not bad at cutting weight, he just got drat near knocked out less than a week from the fight"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
gently caress. It's just fitting in this universe that a guy with so much loving talent, such a perfect mind for fighting and who also seems like a nice guy has something this worrying happen. Hope he's okay.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Jones was last seen arguing himself out of having a fighter's license. I'm not holding my breath.

Also, our fat gay dad won and I'm very happy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

It also may be his chin isn’t what it used to be because of those fights. I can’t recall exactly the moments, but something from his last two fights made me think he’s starting to lose his chin. So much so that I put a bet down 1 min before the walkouts started for DC to win by KO.

Werdum was really hard to finish as well, at one point. You have to have a decent chin to fight at heavyweight at all, and when it goes, it goes loving bad

Waroduce posted:

I noticed DC kind of kept his arms extended when fighting Jones and Miocic... I guess to force them to throw strikes through his arms and tangle them up? Is that like a common thing people do with a reach disadvantage? I thought you were supposed to keep your poo poo tight

Isn't that the mummy guard in boxing?

Skip My Posts posted:

johny never popped, its not fair to lump him in with guys that failed multiple tests based on guessing

No, he just got really fat and bad immediately after the testing procedure changed despite looking seriously world class immediately before hand. You wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

how many average joes do you think make it to the ufc

Travis Browne waves awkwardly from the corner, then flips out the window like his bones exploded.

Southpaugh posted:

DC has shown that being a fat dad is the best base for MMA. Not steroids.

I'll update the spreadsheet that earlier suggested it was having an abusive sibling and a heart full of darkness.

Skip My Posts posted:

i will defned fat johny always forever

He's pretty bad at defending himself.

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah totally agree, but its just weird to me bc its not like stipe hurt him really bad or totally destroyed him for 25 minutes. clear win for sure and he took some punishment but wtf

Getting that gassed and looking that helpless for 25 minutes would be a pretty mentally draining thing. The last time I was truly, utterly exhausted was loving terrifying, and I didn't have a huge man trying to knock me out.

MotU posted:

even the statue looks like it's backing away from a fight

Nice

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

Calls a 6 foot 8 guy an average joe then brags about being tired once. Sick

I figure his complete lack of talent, spatial awareness and general physical coordination probably balances it out to average.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean I used to think it was "be Eastern European" but this fight showed otherwise

Of course Stipe is only ethnically croatian so he may have dilluted the purity of his warrior heritage

It could be 'born in a warzone' but only most of the Dagestanis are unstoppable killing machines rather than all of them.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Covington really loves wearing his maga hat doesn’t he?

It's a nice substitute for his utter lack of personality, charisma or ability to be interesting in any way.

eric posted:

Who doesn’t love a good maga hat? Woodley should be glad Covington is promoting the fight. A fight against RDA would have been a fight pass main event.

If only he was promoting it well.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Joe Silva does own. If you didn't know, he's the one who tracked down Joanna Champion and offered her a UFC contract. She wasn't on anyone else's radar, but he knew. Because he's a giant nerd.

1st AD posted:

I don’t think Brendan Schaub can do Dana’s job. Dana is paid to be criticized all day, Brendan is a delicate baby and would get really mad all day if he had Dana’s job.

Brendan Schaub couldn't do his own job.

SquirrelGrip posted:

agreed, i think the personalities played a huge role in how the structured zuffa. the fertittas needed dana to be dana, and a way to manage/mitigate any reprecussions from dana being dana. uncle frank and lorenzo were always there to step in if needed as actual c-layer execs, but got to avoid a lot of other bullshit thanks to dana being dana. they definitely needed each other

Dana White serves as a fantastic lightening rod that the fans can hate for callous business decisions while still liking the UFC as a whole. He's the character Vince McMahon is playing.

SquirrelGrip posted:

lmao 100%

I was convinced joe had an account and was lurking psp a few years back

I once tweeted at Cerrone and Evan Dunham that they should fight, and it was booked like two days later. Then, the same thing happened for Lawler and Condit. I deleted my account after that. I don't want that kind of power.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

The Silva hates Akiyama stuff was also like three other fighters he didn’t like and it was solely because people kept telling him to sign Akiyama and the others because they thought they were really good and Silva thought thus sucked poo poo.

And he was right. Akiyama nearly got crippled by Alan Belcher

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Holloway hit a really beautiful one on Cub, and TKZ got a really good one on Dustin. Neither were knockouts, though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

drat was he? I thought he was always seen as pretty good

He used to lose a lot, only to guys who are pretty good, but also Jens Pulver while Jens was in the middle of an otherwise unbroken 8 fight losing streak or something. If you watch his fight with Ricardo Lamas (which was on the first Fox card) you can see the exact moment he realises he turned the wrong way into an arm triangle.

He was always pretty good and hit really, really hard, he just had the habit of zigging when he should zag.

Foul Fowl posted:

also the legendary aldo KO haunted him for years.

Apparently that knee gave him a hairline fracture in his skull.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Volkanovski wasn't even the best featherweight prospect on that card

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

He really does look like a Ken Doll. One that does heaps of steroids

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

*watches Cindy Dandois have one of the worst UFC debuts ever and get cut after one fight*. I think this is the clear #1 contender for my title.

I thought the name sounded familiar, but I couldn't believe that even women's 145 could get that stupid. It's the one I thought it was.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
WW was a fantastic, prestige division for a long time. And then, suddenly, seemingly the whole old guard was either retired, on the brink of retired, in Bellator for some loving reason or coming off a loss to Colby Covington.

It's sort of what happened to LHW, but it seems to have happened a lot faster.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The spiders in Georges St-Pierre’s brain finally reached his cerebral cortex, and made him see aliens until he had to quit and go back to being French for a while. Hendricks was defeated by a combination of store-bought steaks and the USADA. We had a brief hurrah with Robbie’s fun little run, but that led us into the Woodley era, God help us.

It was a brutal fall from whatever passes for grace in this sport.

It's inevitable that some fighters age out of their prime, but WW has a surprising lack of new talent. There are fewer cool new fighters rising than there are old guys leaving.

Speaking of cool new fighters, have there been any updates on Holloway's status?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I was thinking specifically of champions and belt defenses, but now that you mention it, there does seem to be a little bit of a drought at all levels.

I also would like to know how Holloway is doing. He is cool, and I hope his brain is OK.

Letting Rory go was ridiculous. That fight with Lawler, by itself, should have secured him a seat at the table as long as he could walk into the ring under his own power.

Edit: Octagon(r)(tm) patent pending

I remember when him and Mousassi were let go, there was a sentiment here and elsewhere that 'they don't sell seats on their own' and that's true. It's also true of most of their champions. However, the UFC used to be in a really strong position not only due to having the best guy as the champion, but also the next 10 best guys. That way, you know the champ is legit, and you can know whether contenders are legit. As much as Jon Fitch didn't sell PPVs, Hendricks knocking him out made Hendricks impossible to ignore, ditto for Koscheck getting clobbered by Robbie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

it was one of those rare fights that i just knew, as i was watching it, that i was witnessing something that will never be forgotten as long as the human race exists and as long as the human race likes fighting.

i am partial to lawler / rory 2 myself but when you get to this calibre of contest you are just talking about varying degrees of absolute perfection.

For me it's Edgar/Maynard 2, but, like you say, it's just a different form of perfection

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a testament to how good Shogun used to be that he's been shedding positive attributes as a fighter since 2006 and he only just lost enough to start losing to journeymen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

Shogun got choked out by Forrest Griffin more than a decade ago

Forrest wasn't a journeyman, seeing as he actually held the championship.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

He was a champion, but he also got knocked out by Keith Jardine and Jeremy Horn, so I dunno, man

less jokingly: Shogun's great and I will always love him, but his last genuinely good win was seven or eight years ago depending on if you count Forrest II and since then he's gotten choked out by Chael Sonnen, almost knocked out by both a going-on-40 Rogerio and the platonic ideal of the journeyman in Gian Villante, and given a pretty bullshit decision against Beastin' 358/2 Days, so I feel like it's less accurate to say he's only just now at the journeyman level as opposed to "205 is such a garbage fire that 2018 Shogun was a fight away from a title shot based on his victory over a dude who couldn't beat Sam Alvey"

Rampage and Chuck both also nearly got knocked out by Jardine, and Horn legit subbed Liddell.

Shogun lost his attributes in stages. First it was his dynamic top game, then his takedowns, then his footwork and finally his chin. Up until his chin went, he could still knock people out with no apparent effort because he could shrug off their efforts and counter. Now, he can't wear a punch and his defence was never great.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This. I mean, somehow he did well at the UFC, but all I remember is the shitshow that was Shogun vs Coleman in the Octagon.

That was the first Shogun fight I saw, which made his fanatical, obnoxious fans much more confusing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cisneros posted:

I remember his war against Brandon Vera.

That was the rubicon moment for Shogun's career. A thrilling back and forth battle with Brandon Vera. It's a really good fight and very much the highlight of Brandon Vera's weird career, but Shogun really should have walked through him.

Nothing But Hate posted:

Pretty sure Chuck did get knocked out by Jardine

He got dropped and badly outstruck, but managed to make it to the final bell, which is quite an achievment for latter day Chuck.

I was that rear end in a top hat re: Crocop, and being in a room with a bunch of my friends who'd never heard of him until I kept saying, "THIS DUDE KICKS PEOPLE'S SKULLS OFF," up until they watched him get his own skull kicked off by Gabriel Gonzaga was...

...distressing.

It's more distressing that Gonzaga literally never did another noteworthy thing. It's not like Crocop got loving destroyed by some world beater.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 24, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nothing But Hate posted:

Wow you are 100% correct and I must have severely misremembered some poo poo to think that. Maybe I’m remembering an alternate timeline.

Nah, Chuck got knocked out a lot, including by a one armed Rich Franklin. Easy mistake to make. Jardine did knock out Forrest, though.

Oh yeah, I had a minor freak out because I missed the Couture vs Gonzaga fight to attend a wedding, and found out later how badly he lost to Couture and had a sad. :sigh:

I never forgave him for losing to Browne, briefly prolonging his relevance

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

sorry its a little back but jardine "beating" chuck and forrest whooping shogun were absolutely devastating and are some of the main reasons i can never love again

It's okay, man. We're here for you. This is a safe, warm place. I nearly lost it when Rose lost to Carla.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

We all lost is when Rose KO'd Joana tho :allears:

That's supplanted 'he ran up the wall like a NINJA' for 'best commentary moment.' DC just forgets how to talk and screams 'THUG ROSE' over and over. It's awesome.

Bundt Cake posted:

i dont thing so i stated my feelings and got called g*y

We're all gay here. We happily watch two shirtless men roll around on the floor trying to make the other submit. We're gay, all the way down.

Haha, get hosed Colby, you dumb fuckin' idiot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Crazy that Aldo isn't a clear favourite over Jeremy Stephens. That'd be an odd thing to explain to someone just a couple of years ago.

CarlCX posted:

nah, she got the absolute gently caress beat out of her by Joanna but she's still top 10 and she just lost a super-close split decision to Gadelha where she almost knocked her out, she's doing fine

I've rewatched that Joanna fight so many times, and I can't think of another fight where there was such terror on a fighter's face. It's amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I completely forgot about that. Is it still the record for most takedowns in a single fight?

It's the most in a three rounder by some ridiculous margin. It's the most in any UFC fight by a less ridiculous margin.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was an article a few years ago on the close correlation between someone's favourtie sports and their political affiliation/engagement. PGA was, unsurprisingly, very right wing, but UFC fans were, on the whole, way over on the left. Do you think, in a roundabout way, White's association and occasional, half hearted defence of Trump is somehow hurting their numbers? I mean, there's a lot of reasons the UFC is hurting, but could that be part of it? It's already perceived by a lot of people as the chosen sport of the far right, even though, according to that article, it isn't.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

Guys, do you think that there's any way I can shoehorn TRUMP BAD into everything all the time forever?

What a very odd response.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Byolante posted:

Unless you can find evidence that Trump spiked Jon Jones' gas station dick medicine or made a holographic Conor throw a chair through a bus window then no

Well, a few years ago, in 2011, long before Conor was around, the average PPV, including cards headlined by Frankie Edgar or Jose Aldo, tended to do about 300k buys. Jones would spike that up to half a mil on average. But 250-300k seemed to be the floor. That's now what a stacked card like 227 doesn't quite do. Numbers are generally down, and stars not fighting is only part of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

post the made up article

Who would make up an article that dull?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Maybe the reason UFC isn't doing so well is because a superfight involves a guy who has had three fights people cared about, two of which ended in him getting his poo poo pushed in and crying, and the third involved him laying on his opponent because he was afraid to hurt someone in an MMA fight.

Nah, that can't be it, it's POLITICS.

Okay, for a start, I said that might be one factor, not the factor.

Second, in 2013, there was a superfight between Aldo and Edgar, great fighters who nobody gave a poo poo about, yet it did 330 thousand. Stuff has changed.

Skip My Posts posted:

that article says ufc fans have extremely low voting turnout and are nowhere near way on the left lol

You're right. I misread it. They're center left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

yea ok posted:

what's changed is there's 300 shows a year full of fights with dudes that have made up names, and any exciting champion (whitaker, hollaway) made their name on fight nights from sioux falls, while the long-time champs are boring as gently caress or midgets not named floyd

There were 33 cards in 2013, and 39 in 2017. in 2013, there were cards headlined by Mark Munoz. Mike Ricci and Diego Brandao were on the main cards of their biggest shows.

And back then people were complaining about watered down cards as well.

Skip My Posts posted:

theyre less skewed to the left than pro bull riding is to the right lmao

What point do you think this makes?

• Locked thread