Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Ngannou fight has two leading theories: that the guy who willed himself from extreme poverty to the other side of the world like some 19th century pulp protagonist got completely broken mentally by losing once. Or that he tried to lose. I think he tried to lose cause his strategy could have produced no other possible outcome and I'm generally skeptical of "this professional fighter is actually a coward" theories. and also that it really, really looked like he tried to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Being afraid of getting punched by Derrick Lewis is just common sense.

One of those isn’t a “theory,” though; it’s “nonsense.” Just so I’m clear, it’s _not_ the one that says, “high-profile loss on the biggest stage in the sport affects young fighter’s mental state.”

The guy who willed himself from extreme poverty to the other side of the world like some 19th century pulp protagonist rocketed to the top of the biggest promotion in his sport, achieved a position balanced on the point of changing his life forever, and said, “Lol, that’s far enough” and ran to the bookie with the notoriously generous UFC second-tier fighter money he’d acquired, and bet it all on himself to lose in an embarrassing, career-affecting way?

It’s not impossible, but I’m sticking with, “got scared.”

People get paid to take falls.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 10, 2018

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Okay im sold he fought with a gameplan that could only lead to defeat and is different from every way he fought before because he is a coward. Well off to the computer factory

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Auron posted:

lol k

He's over-valuing himself because of the Conor fights, which were both great fights, but Nate isn't a top contender in any division.

Brock Lesnar's coming off an NC and two losses. His last official win was in 2010.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There's a light heavyweight who is not in the top 15? How is that even possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think part of it is the UFC would rather pay a fighter less and have them be not famous than pay them much more and have them become a star they lose control over. Most of that comes from their new business model of content content content, needing to fill hours so let's have a revolving door. But at least part of it is also management short sightedness and greed. The Reebok deal, Dana's willingness to publicly trash talk fighters as a negotiating tactic, and the disinterest in ongoing promotion for fighters all come from this.

• Locked thread