Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

El Roncho posted:

Man this place is full of cunts.

Everything will get better once Liddell beats Tito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The life of an MMA fan: I saw there were over 100 new posts in a UFC monthly thread days before an event and immediately knew it was another major injury cancelling another fun-looking fight

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Daniel Motherfucking Cormier :swoon:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I feel you but who deserves it more? Blaydes? Lewis? There are plenty of talented guys but no one really at the top. I’m down with DC defending the lw strap, then fighting Lesnar, and in the meantime hopefully a top contender will show up.

Don't they want the fight for November's MSG show? I don't think it's wise to have DC do another fight within the next 3 months even if he didn't hurt his hand beating up Stipe so bad

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nifft posted:

Is Cain ever fighting again?

Anything's possible

Except for the bones in his body ever being collected and stable enough that he can one day be considered even 80% healthy again, that's impossible

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlBCsqRAkAs/

francisngannou posted:

I am not proud of my last performance. I have carried my fear from the last fight to this one. I completely understand the frustration & anger that it has caused to my fans, coaches, teammates, family and friends and I am truly sorry for that. I won't let everyone down again. All I can do now is prove myself and make you proud again. #UFC226

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Winston Duke from Black Panther is gonna play Kimbo in the Kimbo film "Backyard Legend"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/GarethADaviesDT/status/1016417530418614272

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Every reason people have for why Brock would beat DC, they also seemed to have for why Stipe would beat DC

And idk maybe it's just me, but considering how well that went for the guy who was both younger than Brock, more active than Brock, and healthier than Brock, I don't see a different result here

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You're not wrong but since most of their bigger draws have left to do fake fighting or retired or are on suspension for tainted supplements/steroids or injured they're in a tough situation without some of the fighters becoming breakout stars on their own. There are so many factors (including being a nutcase and getting yourself in legal trouble randomly attacking a bus) that can take your biggest draws out of the game at any time it has to be a nightmare to deal with as far as fight quality consistency. You plan a year of big fights and then at least half of them fall apart due to training injuries.

That and their legendary matchmaker also retired.

I can't really blame them too much for being unprepared for just how big of fuckups Jon and Conor managed to be in terms of staying out of trouble and not instigating further trouble with cars or buses.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm getting a bit old so I can't remember exactly how much fighters were told to take a dive for Fedor during his peak era, but I'm assuming it's higher enough than 0 that I'd like literal-newborn Cormier's chances during that time

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

DC's been dual champion for 3 days and thread activity has ticked up 300%, plus we're getting takes so spicy they could melt our computers

good time to be an MMA fan

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SquirrelGrip posted:

did ortega weigh in before they canned his fight?

I think so. He mentioned in his interview with Helwani (where he said he hasn't been compensated yet) that his weight was good, he showed up and did everything including media and open workouts

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/UFC_CA/status/1017106407282368512

Cain hugging him tighter just to feel the belt one last time :3:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

spb posted:

Does Brandon know what eskimo brothers means

I'm not even sure he knows what "eskimo" or "brothers" means

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FishBowlRobot posted:

Also lol that he took a screenshot of a Notes file so he could tweet it.

A lot of people do this because of character count being limited, it's a weird thing people get irritated about just like low batteries on phone screenshots

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's not ducking if they won't pay you enough to want to come back

A surprising amount of people are forgetting (willfully or not) that Nate was paid a handsomely stupid amount of money for the Conor fights. Like, significantly significantly more than he was ever making before

The Johnson fight brought him $40k total, he's never coming crawling back to that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lloyd Boner posted:

Korean Zombie vs Frankie Edgar for UFC 229 in October

Gonna be real weird cheering insanely hard against Frankie for once

The most I've looked forward to a fight in a while

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlQwXEBAHlN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1divh0a6vhwr9

quote:

thenotoriousmmaToday I was invited to the World Cup final as a guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
This man is one of the greatest leaders of our time and I was honored to attend such a landmark event alongside him.
Today was an honor for me Mr. Putin. Thank you

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the reebok deal and banning individual sponsors killed a lot of guy's visual style and now it really is red versus blue a ton of the time. it seems very corporate now instead of catering to an audience and expressing a point of view, even if that audience was METAL MULISHA and CORN NUTS

UFC would be better if it had Hannibal Buress' face on the ring

Snowman_McK posted:

There was an article a few years ago on the close correlation between someone's favourtie sports and their political affiliation/engagement. PGA was, unsurprisingly, very right wing, but UFC fans were, on the whole, way over on the left.

Skip My Posts posted:

post the made up article

2013 https://www.businessinsider.com/politics-sports-you-like-2013-3 One google search

His question's wrong of course lol but the article exists

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 30, 2018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

What's changed is every star they've made is either retired, dead, in Bellator, in WWE, was always on roids, or won't fight anyone who's not a Diaz or a boxer and certainly won't defend a loving belt against either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lid posted:

Who deserves blame for Alvarez's loss? Mark Henry, Alvarez's coach, says it should be on him.

"If you're going by fault, [on a scale of] one to 10, I'd give it a thousand -- my fault," Henry said on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show on Monday. "I'd say definitely it was my fault."

Video of the pivotal sequence, which took place right in front of Alvarez's corner, shows Henry yelling for his fighter to throw elbows, and in doing so, the coach motions in the illegal 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock angle.

"The first gesture you can see from me is 100 percent the wrong gesture," Henry said. "I wanted him to know we wanted elbows. The second [gesture], you can see me kind of slapping the inside of my elbow. That's the elbow I wanted." Video shows Alvarez briefly looking toward his corner as Henry was making the first elbow gesture. Then he threw the illegal blow, and referee Marc Goddard halted the action and stood the fighters up.

"I wish he would have given us a warning," Henry said of Goddard, whom he nonetheless described as "an amazing referee" and "one of the best."

The coach acknowledged that the call was correct.

"I'm not stupid -- you can't do a 12-6," Henry said. "But it is what I showed. Eddie did look at me at the time. It's 1,000 percent my fault. It's a shame. I definitely let Eddie down and my team down."

...huh, that's refreshingly honest of a coach

• Locked thread