Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

When Jesse made the deal with her, if he reneged then his soul would belong to her, which basically put ownership of it into her temporary possession even if it was still "in" him. When she found out he had Genesis, she made a deal with the devil to pass over possession of the soul to him, though it was only to be collected upon Jesse's death if (and only if, as far as I can tell) Jesse killed her. Basically so she could hold that over Jesse and ensure she stayed alive when he returned fully powered up again. It's not particularly fair, since the Devil gets his soul by proxy, but that's why you don't gamble with your soul I guess!

What she didn't expect was that he'd decide,"gently caress it" and kill her anyway and live with the consequences. Plus of course now Satan is dead and Hitler has his hands on the soul contract, and I guess it depends on whether the soul is considered in the possession of literally Satan or just "Hell" in general.

Okay but then she said the terms of the deal was fulfilled and the voodoo cloth burned so the contingent contract should be no longer valid, and anyway, I mean, part of the soul was in the possession of The Grail anyway when all of these deals were made, so... Actually just nevermind, I already know it's just bad, but good attempt J-Ru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Jesse was making Gran'ma suffer for everything she did first. She held her immortality in her hands and burned it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So Hitler died and went to Hell, but when he leaves Hell he's alive again? I get Eugene because he never actually died he just got zapped there by Genesis.

Also why does the Angel of Death serve the ruler of hell? Shouldn't she be bouncing between heaven and hell?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sub Rosa posted:

Okay but then she said the terms of the deal was fulfilled and the voodoo cloth burned so the contingent contract should be no longer valid, and anyway, I mean, part of the soul was in the possession of The Grail anyway when all of these deals were made, so... Actually just nevermind, I already know it's just bad, but good attempt J-Ru

She made a side-deal involving the soul when it was in her possession, once it went back to Jesse after he used The Word to make her release him, the terms of the deal still stood since it was legally made by the posessor of that soul (at that time). If anybody is gonna be good at shady but technically legal deals involving stuff that isn't really yours to begin with, it's gonna be Satan! v:shobon:v

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jerusalem posted:

She made a side-deal involving the soul when it was in her possession, once it went back to Jesse after he used The Word to make her release him, the terms of the deal still stood since it was legally made by the posessor of that soul (at that time). If anybody is gonna be good at shady but technically legal deals involving stuff that isn't really yours to begin with, it's gonna be Satan! v:shobon:v

Yeah but I could also see her releasing the blood compact would itself basically nullify the contracts she signed over with temporary ownership of his soul.

Sub Rosa posted:

I mean, part of the soul was in the possession of The Grail anyway when all of these deals were made, so...

Possession is 9/10ths of the law!

But yeah, its... weird and a bit confusing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not the whole soul. The Grail only had control of a fraction. I can't remember how small it was exactly, but I think it was just 10%, yeah?

So I guess Satan would only have ended up with 90%.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember right he asked the guy he hijacked what the barest possible minimum he could remove would be and it was something like 1%?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not the whole soul. The Grail only had control of a fraction. I can't remember how small it was exactly, but I think it was just 10%, yeah?

So I guess Satan would only have ended up with 90%.

Or alternatively Satan would get it all, but would have to go collect 10% of it from The grail.

But you'd think satan could just take what he wants in the first place. He seems to like signing deals though.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Plus what were the odds Grandma would have held up her end of the bargain and actually released Jessie? I'd say 0%, it would never happen without the word.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just read the spoilers for the comic.

HUH.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zaphod42 posted:

Or alternatively Satan would get it all, but would have to go collect 10% of it from The grail.

But you'd think satan could just take what he wants in the first place. He seems to like signing deals though.

I don't recall when this was but at some point he also answered to allfather, irrc.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Just binged through the third season and read the last couple pages.

Man, it's kinda annoying that you can see the budget constraints and they've really taken some liberties with the characters and stories but I'll be damned if it's not a ton of fun to watch. Hope they get to keep doing what they're doing, maybe with a bigger budget.

TC's "death" was really sad tho, I really started to like him. Man. Funny how they completely turn around most characters compared to the comic but still keep them pretty close to the books.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

When should we expect word on if this gets renewed?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I hadn't heard anything about it being renewed for a third season until they had released the first promo picture

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I like how the credits show a little bit about each character when their name comes up. It's not always known right away what they're referencing to, either. What was the circus cannon all about though?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There was an ep where Angelville's rivals fired a cannon at Angelville

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The credits are really cool. There's an interesting effect to avoiding showing each actor's eyes. Still wonder every time why TC got an opening credit but Jody didn't.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I honestly thought TC might join the gang for a bit and, while his ending was fitting, I wouldn't have minded it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

davidspackage posted:

The credits are really cool. There's an interesting effect to avoiding showing each actor's eyes. Still wonder every time why TC got an opening credit but Jody didn't.

Hoover and Fluffernutter also get in the opening credits, and Hoover over Jody doesn't make much sense either because Jody was in a lot more scenes than Hoover iirc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fluffernutter?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Julie Ann Emory. Whatever her character's name is. Littlebottom? Featherstone.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

davidspackage posted:

Possibly just contract stuff. I think there might be rules about whose names show up in show intros? There's rules about most things. They are extremely stylized but essentially the same as a crawl of names near the bottom of the screen during intro/first moments of a show.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

precision posted:

Julie Ann Emory. Whatever her character's name is. Littlebottom? Featherstone.

I thought it was FarfigNewton.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I am finally done with season 3. Here are my thoughts (please keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about the comic -- also I'm not really sure how much I should spoiler, but I'll do my best):

* Tulip is kind of an arrogant moron these days. I don't remember her being like this in the previous seasons, but I don't like it, especially since the consequences aren't particularly severe. Mouthing off to God just seems really stupid, in an uncool way. That said, Eugene outing her to the devil's assistant was hilarious.

* Jesse having an obvious type is kind of something. I know Tulip is a blond white lady in the comic -- is Madame Boyd also a blond white lady in the comic?

* Teenage Madame Boyd and adult Madame Boyd could not possibly look any more different from each other. Did they even try? Different face shapes, body types, complexions, etc. lovely casting.

* Jody & TC are the best. TC's weird Confederate soldier sex roleplay with Jesse's grandmother was so delightfully gross, I loved it. Also, Jody just being a giant enforcer guy was cool & fun.

* I've already said this, but the religion stuff is all so passé. It feels very teenage militant atheist-y and it bores me. It's the low-light of the show, imho.

* Cassidy being seduced by Eccarius is one of the hottest things I've ever seen in my life, although it kind of bugs me that it's impossible to tell whether he got evil-vampire-mind-controlled or just regular-seduced, and we'll never know now because Eccarius is dead. :shrug: :swoon:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There was no Boyd in the comics.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Davros1 posted:

There was no Boyd in the comics.

Yeah the show and the comic are very divergent. Like there's a lot of the same characters, and the plot is informed by the comics, but they are very separate.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah the show and the comic are very divergent. Like there's a lot of the same characters, and the plot is informed by the comics, but they are very separate.

Comics Jody would've killed the gently caress out of TV Jody, and TV Jody was a badass

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Jesse has fantastic taste imo

But yea teen and madam Boyd looked nothing alike

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Just watched the finale. Glad they kept the bit with Jody getting hit with a plan with nails in it and his response.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Took me a while to finish as I found the first few episodes a bit of a drag but the whole series turned around for me with the introduction of the horrific All Father (almost as impactful as that meat guy in the first series).

I also wish they went into more Cajun /swamp spooky voodoo and maybe a bit more farcical with Hitler but in all I was pleasantly surprised to find the series ended much better than it started

Also the Cassidy subplot was really well done

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wasn't sure about the Cassidy subplot at first because it's so different from the comic version, but by the end I thought they did an incredible job with it.

This season was so much better than the last one. I'm pretty excited for season 4 now (knock on wood).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the Cassidy plot was awesome

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I'm pretty excited for season 4 now (knock on wood).

Not been officially announced, but...

https://twitter.com/bazbam/status/1063213306196955137?s=21

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They're filming in Australia?

Oh my God they're actually gonna do War in the Sun :hellyeah:

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Filming in Melbourne studios, apparently!

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/11/preacher-confirmed-to-film-4th-season-in-victoria.html

quote:

The shoot will also feature a Melbourne-based plotline, showcasing Victoria to a global audience via AMC network in the US.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Joe Gilgun vs Australians. Gonna be amazing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hell yes. I had given up hope on a season 4.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Where was Masada supposed to be in the comics? I can't find mine.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Pretty sure it was in France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Umm, isn't Masada in Israel? Where it's always been?

• Locked thread