Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Problem description: We have a number of laptops at work, all the same model, all using the same build of Windows 7 created using the same one-touch install USB sticks. With a few of these laptops, we are getting boot errors, but ONLY when attempting to boot from our one-touch USB build sticks or a Windows 7 recovery DVD, basically preventing us from wiping the devices for new users. It will boot into the current install of Windows just fine with no boot error.

When booting via the USB sticks, it says "0xc0000001 \boot\bcd "the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors". Attempting to boot into the recovery DVD brings up the message "BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot". But the existing Windows 7 install boots just fine.

Attempted fixes: Tried using /fixmbr and similar from within Windows via diskpart, but it didn't seem to recognise the commands (probably since it was within Windows rather than through a recovery disk). Googling only brings up issues with booting into the existing Windows install and fixing it with a recovery disk, but as I can boot into Windows but not the recovery disk or installer USB, this is the exact opposite of what I need! These are tablets with docks, so attempted using a different dock with different USB ports, but no change.

Recent changes: None, and when comparing with a working laptop nothing is jumping out as being wrong or misconfigured.

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

System specs: Lenovo ThinkPad Helix (model no. 37015D8), i5-3427U, 4GB RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col. Mugsy
Jul 20, 2014

Do all of your Helixes have the same BIOS options regarding things like safe boot and UEFI boot vs. legacy MBR boot? If your image sticks are created for MBR booting but the laptops are set to UEFI boot, or vice versa, you'll get errors like that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

None of the available options changed anything, but that clued me in to check the UEFI version; apparently our sticks can't boot above a certain version, but I can't find a way to downgrade the UEFI on the relevant machines as a temporary fix until we can get the problem looked into properly. At least I've identified the issue now!

• Locked thread