Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Same. Finally got the game running (on my home theater PC which isn't ideal) and I guess I expected that the map would be a recreation of the UO map so now I'm running around "Moonglow" and I don't know what the gently caress. Are there training dummies I can hit with my baby-dexer Cuck Finn? Alternatively are there low intensity crafting skills or fishing or something that I can macro/monitor while I do chores around the house? If I can't really play yet, I'd like to start chipping away at money-making skills that I can use later once my laptop crash issue is sorted.

Check the rules of the shard, of course I haven't played a player-run shard for 3-4 years and the last time was with goons, but a lot of shards have rules against unattended macroing so beware if that's what you're going to do. Old UO had the same rules and I was macroing musicianship for my bard one day at the young age of 14 (33 now) or so and realized I'd been suspended for a week. I got a transcript of what happened and basically a GM had recalled in and tried talking to me, realized I was AFK, then went, "welp" and hit the suspend button. I was so mad my mom came in and said, "Well I was looking for a reason to close your stupid gaming account anyway" and that ended that for a bit until I talked her back into her CC info the next month.

IOW don't macro unattended unless it's allowed and also I was a little poo poo who only cared about UO as a kid and spent far too much time playing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Freakazoid_ posted:

It doesn't look like they're trying to recreate the old school player homes, which is turning into a big turn off for me.

They are when custom assets are available for import. Same as the map.

life is killing me posted:

IOW don't macro unattended unless it's allowed

Macroing is allowed, but not afk resource harvesting

I was a little poo poo who only cared about UO as a kid and spent far too much time playing it

Pfft, who actually 'plays' these games? :v:

Alexander DeLarge posted:

This isn't really a guide but it's a nice walkthrough of the mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flEuupi0fmw

This video is also a bit old, the game has changed quite a bit since

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 23, 2018

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

It doesn't look like they're trying to recreate the old school player homes, which is turning into a big turn off for me.

I'd imagine they will once custom asset import is in. Just low on the priority list?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
So, I do look forward to giving this a try even if I have a few questions:

On old school UO:

Blues: are we talking Great Lords or the notoriety system that replaced it less than a year in?

Taming:
1. Do OG tamed dragons still love randomly setting reds on fire?

2. Have they limited tamers according to animal lore or should I cackle to that video (probably flash) of Witch Azile bitching about tamers with a dozen dragons while System of a Down is playing in the background?

Tailoring:
1. Are maker's marks for Grandmaster-crafted apparel in?
2. Any NPCs running around in cloth made of undyeable colors ("nightmare blue" clothing made from the cloaks that evil mages in T2A wore could fetch a handsome sum, even if the market was niche.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Bell_ posted:

Questions
Blues: are we talking Great Lords or the notoriety system that replaced it less than a year in?

Notoriety. Blue is citizen aka non criminal

Taming:
1. Do OG tamed dragons still love randomly setting reds on fire?

Not sure

2. Have they limited tamers according to animal lore or should I cackle to that video (probably flash) of Witch Azile bitching about tamers with a dozen dragons while System of a Down is playing in the background?

Higher lore means taming more advanced creatures

Tailoring:
1. Are maker's marks for Grandmaster-crafted apparel in?

Yes

2. Any NPCs running around in cloth made of undyeable colors ("nightmare blue" clothing made from the cloaks that evil mages in T2A wore could fetch a handsome sum, even if the market was niche.

Haven't killed any friendly npcs but some equipment cannot be dyed

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Bell_ posted:

please link that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I think UO:R let you macro skills unattended and use Razor, but IDK if Razor is even still a thing. It was pretty good back in the day (between 4-9 years ago). Man, I miss the days of playing with you goons (some of y'all in this thread were probably playing on UO:R and UOF too, sup guys and gals) way back. I remember sitting in my barracks room in Germany on convalescent leave playing the gently caress out of UO and going out to PK and harvest gold in the blood ele room, running around Bucs Den fighting blue pubbies and saving up money to buy a tower. I look back on those days fondly and if I could go back and relive them, outside of having lovely military doctors and company commanders insisting I was malingering and not wanting to grant me doctor-ordered leave, I totally would.

Unfortunately I have no internet and probably won't anytime soon. But if I can find a way to play you're goddamn right I will.

Are the map and mechanics going to be pretty much the same as old UO, like T2A era? From what I understand they aren't right now, but are they essentially intending to recreate UO as you were able to play it on Origin servers during T2A?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
It will take some searching. Much of the sites back then are lost to time. Azile's rant came before the taming rebalance with animal lore, when dragons were less effective but there was no limit on the number you could control at once, so close to twenty years ago (I think it was before UO:R, too but not too long before.

Azile's site has been gone for years, but maybe something is there on Ronald McDonald's page or Joy of Villainy? The game we're looking for is nearly twenty years old imo (QoL changes after T2A, but before Trammel)

Oh! Which reminds me: "did tehy brng back precasting beyotch?"

I tried out the game for a moment and newbieville was an unfun slog, but then UO was too. Should be more fun when I meet Goons.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Precasting is in and also you don't need a newbie Town when Goontown is just a small trek away, complete with a training dummy, crafting tables, free tools and FREE LOOT, wowzers!

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
I think I'm hanging it up until some of these bugs are fixed.

Between the painfully slow gains (I just mined for about 45 minutes to an hour without a single gain), horrible server lag, and just other general "bugginess," this game is almost unplayable IMO.

The community is awesome and I think it will eventually get there. But for now, I feel like a masochist logging in and expecting to accomplish anything.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Bell_ posted:

Azile's site has been gone for years, but maybe something is there on Ronald McDonald's page or Joy of Villainy? The game we're looking for is nearly twenty years old imo (QoL changes after T2A, but before Trammel)

who was that person who would loot you after you died but was a "gentleman" about it. like he would keep the regents and give everything back. he was like fansy but for uo

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

snergle posted:

who was that person who would loot you after you died but was a "gentleman" about it. like he would keep the regents and give everything back. he was like fansy but for uo

drat, take all my poo poo but leave me my regs so I can recall the gently caress out

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

snergle posted:

please link that.

is it this one? Tamer bitching is at the end. Also Korn, not System of a Down.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

sonikburn posted:

Between the painfully slow gains (I just mined for about 45 minutes to an hour without a single gain), horrible server lag, and just other general "bugginess," this game is almost unplayable IMO.

I was wondering about that. Saw a couple twitch streams of people mining and it seemed like more than half their hits were failures.

Also, kinda sucks you can't just mine any exposed piece of rock, it looks like you have to go to a mine specifically and target designated boulders.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

Freakazoid_ posted:

Haha, it was Korn after all!

And it absolutely was that video. Thank you.

Oddly enough, it doesn't feel like it was so long ago.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
You will only get mining gains on rocks with brown/orange streaks on them.

I spent over an hour running around Goontown smashing rocks and got 0.1 skill. Then I went to Moonglow Quarry and gained 3 full skill points in about 15 minutes. Smelting increases mining, too.

Looks like Gorgan is working on the bugs though. He's already added an auto-unstuck feature and the only other bug I have is crashing to desktop when I click the exit game button (which isn't a huge problem when you think about it)

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

Angelwolf posted:

You will only get mining gains on rocks with brown/orange streaks on them.

I spent over an hour running around Goontown smashing rocks and got 0.1 skill. Then I went to Moonglow Quarry and gained 3 full skill points in about 15 minutes. Smelting increases mining, too.

Looks like Gorgan is working on the bugs though. He's already added an auto-unstuck feature and the only other bug I have is crashing to desktop when I click the exit game button (which isn't a huge problem when you think about it)

That's the crazy part, I was only mining the brown/orange rocks. Not only did I gain no skill points, but I was failing about 85% of the time. After an hour, I had successfully mined 18 iron ore.

I mentioned something about it on global and lolo said he wasn't sure if there was an issue, but there were reports of problems. His only advice was to mine outside of guarded areas, which I was already doing.

Like I said, I'm definitely not trying to throw shade at LoU. This seems like an awesome community and I really want to play. I just feel like I'm spending more time dealing with bugs and server lag than enjoying the gameplay right now.

sonikburn fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 25, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

sonikburn posted:

That's the crazy part, I was only mining the brown/orange rocks. Not only did I gain no skill points, but I was failing about 85% of the time. After an hour, I had successfully mined 18 iron ore.

I mentioned something about it on global and lolo said he wasn't sure if there was an issue, but there were reports of problems. His only advice was to mine outside of guarded areas, which I was already doing.

Like I said, I'm definitely not trying to throw shade at LoU. This seems like an awesome community and I really want to play. I just feel like I'm spending more time dealing with bugs and server lag than enjoying the gameplay right now.

Mining is by far the worst skill to grind right now in the game, but to be fair it took literally months to GM mining in UO as well. The other crafting/harvesting skills aren't as bad as mining though, but it's a good idea to roll a dexxer first to get some cash.

Dante fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 25, 2018

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
You could just quit crafting for the time being and kill stuff instead (or gain combat skills). Not sure about the lag issue because that's definitely a thing, but ultimately I guess if you're not doing something you enjoy it's time to do something else. Whether that's joining goons for gank squads and dungeons, or playing something else for a while, it's your choice.

As a note though, you can gain mining skill through smelting. You could dungeon run and spend gold on ores to smelt, or just smelt ores other goons have dug up. One we have a higher level miner, ores should be good and plentiful - I'm planning on stockpiling ingots ore ores for goon use when I get a chance

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

Good call - I think I'm going to take your guys advice and just keep working on my dexxer. I picked up LJ, since I know it's going to have a damage boost soon. LJ gains seem ok so far... slow but steady.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
PROTIP: If you max the size of your U/I to accommodate, say playing on a HTPC, it also increases the size of the login window and may just park the the "Play" button below the event horizon at the bottom of your television.

and yes those settings persist across reinstalls somehow so welp.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Couldn't you just alt + enter to switch it to window mode so it'll shrink for you?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Angelwolf posted:

Couldn't you just alt + enter to switch it to window mode so it'll shrink for you?

Winner!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dante posted:

Mining is by far the worst skill to grind right now in the game, but to be fair it took literally months to GM mining in UO as well. The other crafting/harvesting skills aren't as bad as mining though, but it's a good idea to roll a dexxer first to get some cash.

I'm pretty sure that was blacksmithing. I got GM mining much sooner than I did with blacksmithing.

It's bullshit that you can't even walk away with 50% success though, that really should be fixed. I'd also like to see that vein requirement dropped.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

PROTIP: If you max the size of your U/I to accommodate, say playing on a HTPC, it also increases the size of the login window and may just park the the "Play" button below the event horizon at the bottom of your television.

and yes those settings persist across reinstalls somehow so welp.

On this note I should add the Steam Controller works great. Could use some optimizations (which should come with Steam Early Access launch) for chat and whatnot but it works far better than any other controller ever could with a game like this.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Our HQ also known as the dexxer Cobra Kai training pit. Whack your nude friends with a weapon for a bit and get all those 1337 skillpoints 10 times faster than brit sewers.

Dante fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 26, 2018

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Oh God is this shard using the UO3D abortion?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Oh God is this shard using the UO3D abortion?
No, third dawn was an expansion for Ultima Online. This is a LoA shard, different game.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dante posted:

No, third dawn was an expansion for Ultima Online. This is a LoA shard, different game.

I know that, but that screenshot is clearly telling a different story. And you could, if I remember right, use the 3D client at any time but I could be wrong, it's been so long ago.

So is that just a goon using a 3D client, or what?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I know that, but that screenshot is clearly telling a different story. And you could, if I remember right, use the 3D client at any time but I could be wrong, it's been so long ago.

So is that just a goon using a 3D client, or what?
I don't know what you're asking here. It is true that Ultima Online released a (terrible) an expansion with a 3D client almost everyone ignored and didn't use. This is a screenshot of Legends of Aria, a different game that is not UO, but which has a community mod that's remaking UO. LoA is a 3d isometric game.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dante posted:

I don't know what you're asking here. It is true that Ultima Online released a (terrible) an expansion with a 3D client almost everyone ignored and didn't use. This is a screenshot of Legends of Aria, a different game that is not UO, but which has a community mod that's remaking UO. LoA is a 3d isometric game.

My confusion was coming from the 3D screenshot, making me think LoU was in some way using the terrible 3D client. And when you said LoA, I was thinking it was this same shard for some reason, not a totally different game. Basically, my brain was matrixing that screenshot into the 3D client for UO because I don't have a sharp memory on what 3D even looked like.

Remit
Nov 9, 2007
Probably has something to do with your brain trying to pair that screenshot with a game that is releasing in 2018 or 2019. I think there are mobile games that look better

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Remit posted:

Probably has something to do with your brain trying to pair that screenshot with a game that is releasing in 2018 or 2019. I think there are mobile games that look better

Bad screenshot. They gotta update interiors a bit because the exteriors look really nice now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaMhfWggDUs

Remit
Nov 9, 2007

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Bad screenshot. They gotta update interiors a bit because the exteriors look really nice now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaMhfWggDUs

I own it and have played since the update. SOME things look decent. Other parts, like the odd green grass, look like poo poo. Overall, it still looks bad for 2018. It was terrible before, and noe it's upgraded to bad.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Who cares, the game is fun as gently caress and that's what actually matters. Maybe I'm getting old but some dated graphics don't bother me when I'm having a blast and enjoying myself

Remit
Nov 9, 2007

Angelwolf posted:

Who cares, the game is fun as gently caress and that's what actually matters. Maybe I'm getting old but some dated graphics don't bother me when I'm having a blast and enjoying myself

I'll have to check out this shard, but I honestly cant remember what combat was like in UO so I dont remember if I liked it.

I know I personally hate what they did to melee LoA combat. I don't want twitch or action combat at all, but chunkily running into combat range for 30 seconds, using laggy rear end skills, and then going and sitting by a fire for 2 minutes isnt really what I would call fun.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Freakazoid_ posted:

for some reason vlc is only playing freak on a leash and not the flash part .

snergle posted:

it was belan the noble looter i found an archive of their site http://www.belan.variadic.org/

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Remit posted:

I'll have to check out this shard, but I honestly cant remember what combat was like in UO so I dont remember if I liked it.

I know I personally hate what they did to melee LoA combat. I don't want twitch or action combat at all, but chunkily running into combat range for 30 seconds, using laggy rear end skills, and then going and sitting by a fire for 2 minutes isnt really what I would call fun.

Combat in this LoU isn't twitch or action, and it is different to the base LoA game. I guess you could say it is similar to the Warrior class in World of Warcraft. Weapons have a swing timer. Abilities, if used, activate on next swing. You must be close enough to the target to attempt a swing.

Use bandages to heal in or out of a fight. On activation of a bandage, you will begin to apply it and your health is restored at the end of the cycle. If you are hit during this cycle you may have your 'fingers slip' which will put a penalty on the amount of health received at the end of the cycle.

Mages using spells need to prepare a spell before casting. This takes only a few seconds and the progress is shown on the cursor. When the precast is done, you click to cast the spell. There is a chance to fizzle depending on the difficulty of the spell and your skill level.

To put things in context, LoA uses something called Vanguard Skills and campfires. LoU has removed these Vanguard skills and worked over the bandaging system.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

One of my favorite characters was a healing mage I could passively bandage while in mage combat and also heal with magic so I could heal poison without an extra spell if needed. Hard to kill when playing one correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Already the population on this shard is forming hatred towards Goon Squad. It is a glorious time to be alive.
One guy in particular hates us and, for some reason, believes that Goon Squad is one person that likes to chat with a number of clients in world chat.

e; Also if there are any newbies looking to join in, we now have Dexxer bags at HQ!
These have:
1x Pouch (the stuff that holds your gear which you can now use for additional storage)
1x Weapon (either Mace, fencing or swords)
1x Head armor
1x Chest armor
1x Legs armor
1x Shield
100x Bandages

There is also a Dummy outside for you to whack. This means you can skip combat skills on character creation if desired, and practice on the Dummy until 30 skill. REMEMBER TO TAKE HEALING AND/OR MAGIC RESISTANCE WHEN MAKING A NEW CHARACTER.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 29, 2018