Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorry to hear about all that xo I hope things turn around soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Make ryhno ik until you get back x-o

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Make ryhno ik until you get back x-o

He’s already the idiot king in all our hearts for sure.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The stand-in mod's already been chosen. Let's just say, watch what you say about Jason Todd.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
and thus began the Battle For The Cowl

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'll be the cyborg mod, Rhyno will be the one with the Bret Hart sunglasses.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Can't wait to see Gavok's dope leather jacket.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Can't wait to see Gavok's dope leather jacket.

Everytime I see Gavok, I keep thinking it's me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hope you make a full recovery X-O, feel better soon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

The stand-in mod's already been chosen. Let's just say, watch what you say about Jason Todd.

He can ban me until Red Hood doesn't suck then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you have Comixology Unlimited they currently have collections of Steve Ditko's pre-Code comics available.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Lmao see ya

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Rare to see a request for a permaban.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

He’s already the idiot king in all our hearts for sure.

I KNEW YOU FUCKERS ALL SAW ME AS ROYALTY

For real I really hope things turn out for you dude. Like you're a dude on the internet but you make this corner a lot brighter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

The new mod is Gerry Conway?

Man, I had no idea how close the vote kill Jason was. 72 votes of a bit more than the 11K people who voted was the difference.

If you lost an election by that, you'd be drat sure asking for a recount.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 8, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
RIP Steve Ditko :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
X-O stuff just made me realise that even though I find the internet a terrible place you guys on this stupid dead forum are awesome and you all make my work days a little bit more tolerable. You all stay safe and healthy and stuff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I ain't give a poo poo what you thought of him as a mod, this absolutely owns.

https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/1015358676188553217

Cannot think of a better dude in the US comics/manga industry to handle that series.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

END ME SCOOB posted:

Cannot think of a better dude in the US comics/manga industry to handle that series.

That's awesome, his writing on 4thletter was a big part of what made me start giving manga a second look back in college, and a lot of my thinking about how the logic of the comic book page works goes back to his essays on violence and motion in Bleach and stuff, or some of his older One Piece essays. It sounds dopey but he was one of the first people who demonstrated that you could think seriously about comics but still have fun with them, back when I was an insecure little twerp embarrassed by the fact that I snuck out to the local comic shop every week.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got a big 500 page Mockingbird collection. This is the cover

Did you guys know that Bobbi Morse was originally a minor character in Ka-Zar? So this collection decided to include those issues. I'm a quarter of the way through it, and so far it's been nothing but Ka-Zar comics where Bobbi Morse shows up in a handful of panels. It's a stealth Ka-Zar collection with a cover to trick people. The first two issues have so little to do with Bobbi Morse that the majority of the issues aren't even included, it's just the pages with Bobbi in them and text explaining what happened in the excluded pages

it's not even like there's some subplot about Bobbi going on, in one of the issues she's on one page that explains Ka-Zar is sleeping in her apartment but they aren't loving, and then she shows up again at the end to watch the fight. That's it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What did you expect buying a collection about a minor character who's had maybe 2 solo runs ever that never made it past 10 issues.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Ka-Zar generally but I’m reading those issues right now and I can tell you that you’re not missing much. They are some boring rear end Ka-Zar stories. And Bobbi is useless in them.

Unrelated: yo, Tomb of Dracula is loving awesome. I’m not even at the Wolfman stuff yet, but I still really like this updated approach to horror Marvel is working on. I’ve got Gerber Man Thing coming up soon too. I’m excited for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I like Ka-Zar generally but I’m reading those issues right now and I can tell you that you’re not missing much. They are some boring rear end Ka-Zar stories. And Bobbi is useless in them.

Unrelated: yo, Tomb of Dracula is loving awesome. I’m not even at the Wolfman stuff yet, but I still really like this updated approach to horror Marvel is working on. I’ve got Gerber Man Thing coming up soon too. I’m excited for it.

Tomb of Dracula get a bit silly in the latter half (that's the stuff that got adapted into that ridiculous anime where Dracula famously eats a hamburger), but it is extremely metal throughout. You should supplement your reading of ToD with the various vampire mags Marvel was putting out in the 70s, Drac shows up in a bunch of those.

Gerber's Man-thing is the best comic, so you're in for a treat.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

What did you expect buying a collection about a minor character who's had maybe 2 solo runs ever that never made it past 10 issues.

I know this may be difficult for you to believe, but I do not have extensive knowledge of Mockingbird's publishing history. I simply assumed that a book called Mockingbird Bobbi Morse Agent of Shield that featured four pictures of Mockingbird and no other characters on the cover would primarily be about Mockingbird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

I don't really care about anime but he seems like a really good choice for this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Tomb of Dracula get a bit silly in the latter half (that's the stuff that got adapted into that ridiculous anime where Dracula famously eats a hamburger), but it is extremely metal throughout. You should supplement your reading of ToD with the various vampire mags Marvel was putting out in the 70s, Drac shows up in a bunch of those.

Gerber's Man-thing is the best comic, so you're in for a treat.

The monster mags are definitely part of the reading.

I found some of the actual magazines in a local shop (along with like a hundred issues of Savage Sword that I picked up) but I’ll have to resort to other means to read that stuff. Pretty sure it isn’t on MU.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know this may be difficult for you to believe, but I do not have extensive knowledge of Mockingbird's publishing history. I simply assumed that a book called Mockingbird Bobbi Morse Agent of Shield that featured four pictures of Mockingbird and no other characters on the cover would primarily be about Mockingbird.

I guess it is kind of a mean trick to play.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

I guess it is kind of a mean trick to play.

You know how the head DC guys loves Cyborg and keeps trying to make Cyborg a major character even though nobody cares about Cyborg? Imagine if Marvel had a guy like that for Ka-Zar. reboot the Avengers to make Ka-Zar a founding member

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

I bought a bunch of these trades during the Amazon sale, still need to read them once I'm finished with Wolverine (I've just finished the Albert and Elsie Dee arc, one of the first comics I ever bought back in the day)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I looked up the table of contents for that Mockingbird omnibus and oof, sorry for your loss. I hope it doesn't sour you on the character because the Chelsea Cain run is really really worth reading.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

You know how the head DC guys loves Cyborg and keeps trying to make Cyborg a major character even though nobody cares about Cyborg? Imagine if Marvel had a guy like that for Ka-Zar. reboot the Avengers to make Ka-Zar a founding member

They don't love Cyborg, they're just worried about seeming racist ever since they wiped out all the minority legacy characters and made the Justice League all white guys and one white lady. So their only idea is to keep pushing cyborg even though no one likes him.

I think Marvel's equivalent to cyborg would be one of their horrible 70s characters like Aquarius, or maybe 3D-man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How was the Hawkeye/Mockingbird mini from shortly after Secret Invasion?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

How was the Hawkeye/Mockingbird mini from shortly after Secret Invasion?

The first thing they did was remind us about the time Phantom Rider 2 raped Mockingbird. That's the very first thing that happens.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

They don't love Cyborg, they're just worried about seeming racist ever since they wiped out all the minority legacy characters and made the Justice League all white guys and one white lady. So their only idea is to keep pushing cyborg even though no one likes him.

I think Marvel's equivalent to cyborg would be one of their horrible 70s characters like Aquarius, or maybe 3D-man.

Move back Jon Stewart becoming a lantern to a yearish after Hal and have him be the founding GL and add Black Lightning, vixen, or Firestorm that is Jason/Ronnie instead of either with the professor.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

They still had Vixen and Static. Both way better characters. If they were going for more racial/gender balance, Vixen is the obvious choice, and Static was way more popular than Cyborg, he had his own cartoon!

Nah, Geoff Johns loves Cyborg, and wants us all to love him too

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

They still had Vixen and Static. Both way better characters. If they were going for more racial/gender balance, Vixen is the obvious choice, and Static was way more popular than Cyborg, he had his own cartoon!

Nah, Geoff Johns loves Cyborg, and wants us all to love him too

But don’t you see if you use Cyborg instead of better candidates like Mister Terrific, John Stewart, Vixen, or Black Lightning that means you can undo and rewrite the history of two teams at once to move around one character nobody cares about. It’s a double win.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Beast Boy and Cyborg's friendship is one of the best things I remember from NTT and it made it onto the show as well so it's a good thing DC has done everything they can to smoosh it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cyborg hate is super ridiculous.

His biggest problem is never having anyone give him a compelling solo run.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nobody hates Cyborg. Very few people feel any strong emotions about Cyborg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

His biggest problem is never having anyone give him a compelling solo run.

Hate is the wrong word. It’s just that nobody really cares about him and also there are many characters that could be brought into the Justice League that make much more sense.

• Locked thread