Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

and last is Dancer who only at mod provocation has appeared to catch up lest they run the risk of the lurker gun.

yeah this is kinda dumb dude. even if the only reason Dancer is posting is to keep above the minimum postcount, every alignment wants to stay above the minimum post count. no one serves their agenda by getting lurker-killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

yeah wanna vote AA or Yami today. Nep isn't clear yet but I could buy him maybe telling the truth about just trying to start poo poo, so he's lower priority now

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Bifs gonna have a vote on everybody by the end of day 1 eh?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

This is actually a really good point.

Paired with what I just said...

##vote Dancer

Please re-read my post about "defending Anidav". For ease:

Dancer posted:

An early weak-ish scum read that jumped at me is Yami.

These are 3 almost-consecutive posts, with not that much happening in the middle. Anidav did write some clarifications, but those were things that a reasonable person could've surmised that he meant from his earlier statements. Wouldn't vote Yami over Anidav, but the read is there.

Dancer posted:

Nothing in my following post was in any shape or form pro-Anidav, it was me questioning the behaviour of Yami. And my current vote on AA has nothing to do with his alignment.

Like, I hate to be pedantic, but when we're playing a game that is purely about communication and inter-player interaction, pedantic is kinda the way to go. The post you're referring to:

Those posts of Yami's I pointed out were ones wherein they seemed to very quickly change their mind about Anidav. My sole purpose in bringing up "Anidav wrote some clarifications" is not to say "oh hey Anidav is behaving non-scummily now", it's to point out the fashion in which I believe Yami's behaviour is scummy. Had Anidav's "clarifications" been a bigger deal, then it would've been easier for me to accept Yami as acting in good faith (as in "hey now I get what Anidav meant before so I'm changing my mind"). This is why I say "those were things that a reasonable person could've surmised that he meant from his earlier statements".

Also I explicitly say I still want to vote Anidav over Yami. Saying that this post is spent "defending Anidav" is either a misunderstanding or acting in bad faith.

Do you still think that the thing Jeabus said is "a really good point"?

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

I dont mind dancers claim. Feels pretty pro town.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

give head or get dead posted:

Bifs gonna have a vote on everybody by the end of day 1 eh?

are you just gonna sit there playing commentator for me all game, or are you gonna actually read any of the cases I'm making, chucklehead

Dancer
May 23, 2011

"Don't target me, I don't want you to waste your ability" Sounds like something every player says regardless of alignment, but obviously more so by scum.

I will make the dreaded wifom argument here. Would I, as scum, needlessly attract attention that way? Of course the answer to that question is "Maybe". Now ask how likely the chance is I will do that on D1, with 20+ people in the game. I would argue the chance is significantly lower.

Of course, it's wifom... I don't necessarily expect you to buy this, nor do I necessarily expect that further discussion would help, I'm just asking you to re-consider.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

Dancer posted:

I will make the dreaded wifom argument here. Would I, as scum, needlessly attract attention that way? Of course the answer to that question is "Maybe". Now ask how likely the chance is I will do that on D1, with 20+ people in the game. I would argue the chance is significantly lower.

Of course, it's wifom... I don't necessarily expect you to buy this, nor do I necessarily expect that further discussion would help, I'm just asking you to re-consider.

there's actually no way to defend against a case on D1 without wifom hth

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

really looking forward to Yami explaining for me how Dancer immediately contradicted himself

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lol

Sure, go on defending the guy who literally contradicts himself immediately. S

Sorry, contradiction might have been the wrong word here. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the proper english word atm? (german here). Still had the word in my head from Jeabus' post.

But look at this:

Dancer posted:

Anpu voting for no-lynch I might understand, I can't quite read his behaviour, he always seems weird, but I expect more from B-man. Given the prompt, let's read him.

... Not a lot to read there. In hindsight, I can believe that his vote was a joke; I can assume good faith there. Where it becomes harder to assume good faith is his absence. If you asked me to name one player who lurks a lot more when they're scum than town, Bee would be that player. He also claimed VT, entirely unprompted, unless I'm missing something.

Conclusion: scum read

Here he defends bad behavior as jokes.

Dancer posted:

I'm going to briefly interrupt my reading of the rest of the game to slam down a ##vote AA. Entirely independent of whether you're scum or not, if we as a community develop a meta where that kind of posting gets you insta-lynched, that can only be a good thing.

Here he immediately slams down a vote on bad behavior. This feels like a... what's the word... Double standard? I think that's the one.

Dancer posted:

You're being massively disingenuous. I have not at any point taken issue with AA defending himself. If you look at my specific post, I have specifically cut down AA's post to the following sentence:
"All these people tossing down suspicion on me lol too cute"
and explicitly specified that I take issue with his tone. If you do not see how his tone in that sentence is something someone might take issue with, then I don't know how to explain it to you.

I personally don't see why tone matters. Especally in a situation where you're more likely to be frustrated to begin with (aka being voted). You may have not meant it, but the post earlier comes over pretty absolutist on the matter to me, since it's pretty much the sole factor on the vote.

---

Coming back to Jeabus' thing:

I do not see it as a defense of Anidav. However, the read still seems flimsy to me.. How exactly am I supposed to summise "anidav has mechanical knowledge of a game mechanic" based on a bunch of people talking about it? It feels graspy to me. Same with the B- read.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yami Fenrir posted:

Sorry, contradiction might have been the wrong word here. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the proper english word atm? (german here). Still had the word in my head from Jeabus' post.

what Jeabus post

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

So catching up with this entire cluserfuck I find myself still agreeing with AA and am going to ##vote Anidav because of a lot of the reasons Anidav mentioned.

We have no idea how Exodia works in this game and I don't think it'd make it into a sanity-checked setup (which open arguments as to whether Pod is sane but he did check it or so N20 claims)

In my mind it has to work one of two ways.

1) One specific player has to acquire all five cards, which seems really hard to do for several reasons. Not only is there luck in terms of getting cards, but then there are a number of unmentioned side effects (what happens if a player dies while holding one of the Exodia cards? is the 'Exodia wincon' even possible at that point? How many ways do players, scum or town, have to trade cards? Even if town tries to coordinate card grabs, there doesn't seem to be a mechanic to consolidate cards/give cards to another play)

2) Aligned players have to collect all five Exodia pieces. I don't have to explain how imbalanced this could be, and is overwhelmingly a point in favor for Town, in the sense that even on N1 you could have five random town players each pull one piece of Exodia and then whoops game's over.

In addition to all those factors the talk of a side wincon and how it's been expressed is just muddying the waters in a way I can't really determine well. I really think the only way we're going to find out one way or another is in a post-Anidav game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

But look at this:

Here he defends bad behavior as jokes.

Here he immediately slams down a vote on bad behavior. This feels like a... what's the word... Double standard? I think that's the one.

I personally don't see why tone matters. Especally in a situation where you're more likely to be frustrated to begin with (aka being voted). You may have not meant it, but the post earlier comes over pretty absolutist on the matter to me, since it's pretty much the sole factor on the vote.

---

Coming back to Jeabus' thing:

I do not see it as a defense of Anidav. However, the read still seems flimsy to me.. How exactly am I supposed to summise "anidav has mechanical knowledge of a game mechanic" based on a bunch of people talking about it? It feels graspy to me. Same with the B- read.

What you refer to as "bad behaviour" from bee is "bad mafia play" (voting no-lynch).
What you refer to as "bad behaviour" from AA is "being a dick".

If you still think that's a double-standard, please tell me which of the two you take issue with. Do you disagree with me reading bee's no-lynch vote as a joke? (which is feasible, though I think a lot of people agree with me) Or do you disagree with me taking issue with AA being passive-aggressive and smug (this part is less feasible).

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Monathin posted:

So catching up with this entire cluserfuck I find myself still agreeing with AA and am going to ##vote Anidav because of a lot of the reasons AA mentioned.

Mafia edit.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

are you just gonna sit there playing commentator for me all game, or are you gonna actually read any of the cases I'm making, chucklehead

Yes

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Dancer posted:

Please re-read my post about "defending Anidav". For ease:

Do you still think that the thing Jeabus said is "a really good point"?

No. Sorry. I'll admit it - I got jumpy. I was already suspicious of you, then I saw this post (here you go bif)

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Dancer's next post is spent defending Anidav. They then go on to vote AA, one of Anidav's biggest detractors.

I did not double check this. Rereading it this post is bullshit.

##unvote

I am stressing out over this IRL. I'll step back for a bit and try to be less jumpy, sorry.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Dancer posted:

Or do you disagree with me taking issue with AA being passive-aggressive and smug (this part is less feasible).

I have a question related to this. Why did you take issue with AA's tone attitude but not Bif's?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Dancer posted:

What you refer to as "bad behaviour" from bee is "bad mafia play" (voting no-lynch).
What you refer to as "bad behaviour" from AA is "being a dick".

If you still think that's a double-standard, please tell me which of the two you take issue with. Do you disagree with me reading bee's no-lynch vote as a joke? (which is feasible, though I think a lot of people agree with me) Or do you disagree with me taking issue with AA being passive-aggressive and smug (this part is less feasible).

One last post - I don't disagree with how you read it, but I felt like you should have gone after either both, or none of them. Especially the later is just obnoxious, while the former is activel bad for town.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jeabus didn't even say contradiction, though. So having that specific word in your head just cause of Jeabus sounds like you're scrambling to walk it back. But the details arent right cause this is not a genuine misunderstanding or change in opinion.

##vote Yami

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Dancer posted:

I'm not condemning you there with my comment, it was more to dismantle B- saying that's a pretty town thing to say. It's alignment neutral at best.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

"Don't target me, I don't want you to waste your ability" Sounds like something every player says regardless of alignment, but obviously more so by scum.

Maybe, but to bring it up this early in the game unprovoked seems like something a town player would die. Interestingly, it is the complete opposite of what Anidav said earlier. Dancer doesn't want to be investigated because he claims it will be wasted, Anidav wants to be investigated to clear himself.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

I have a question related to this. Why did you take issue with AA's tone attitude but not Bif's?

short version: phrasing. In my mental image of this thread Bif was saying "I'm a good town player don't vote me", AA was saying "lol cute". Maybe if I go through the thread again and pay attention to details I missed, Bif will also jump out as particularly smug. The AA post happened Then and There, and I had the opportunity to instantly react, so I did.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Monathin posted:

So catching up with this entire cluserfuck I find myself still agreeing with AA and am going to ##vote Anidav because of a lot of the reasons Anidav mentioned.

We have no idea how Exodia works in this game and I don't think it'd make it into a sanity-checked setup (which open arguments as to whether Pod is sane but he did check it or so N20 claims)

In my mind it has to work one of two ways.

1) One specific player has to acquire all five cards, which seems really hard to do for several reasons. Not only is there luck in terms of getting cards, but then there are a number of unmentioned side effects (what happens if a player dies while holding one of the Exodia cards? is the 'Exodia wincon' even possible at that point? How many ways do players, scum or town, have to trade cards? Even if town tries to coordinate card grabs, there doesn't seem to be a mechanic to consolidate cards/give cards to another play)

2) Aligned players have to collect all five Exodia pieces. I don't have to explain how imbalanced this could be, and is overwhelmingly a point in favor for Town, in the sense that even on N1 you could have five random town players each pull one piece of Exodia and then whoops game's over.

In addition to all those factors the talk of a side wincon and how it's been expressed is just muddying the waters in a way I can't really determine well. I really think the only way we're going to find out one way or another is in a post-Anidav game.

oh my god, Most Valuable Post. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is hung up on this being mechanically impossible, or at least HIGHLY improbable, and requires a good bit of survival.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'll save you the time Dancer, I am super smug :sun:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lol

Sure, go on defending the guy who literally contradicts himself immediately.

seems like a pretty knee-jerk off-the-cuff reaction of incredulity for someone not sure of the right word. And it's a strong word to throw around in Mafia.

I wanted to see what Yami thought this contradiction was, cause I didn't think there was one and Yami sounded defensive and full of it.

Bifauxnen posted:

point this out for me please?

Yami Fenrir posted:

ohh wait, no he didn't really mean to say contradiction! It was all Jeabus' influence!

Bifauxnen posted:

what Jeabus post

Yami Fenrir posted:

No. Sorry. I'll admit it - I got jumpy. I was already suspicious of you, then I saw this post (here you go bif)

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Dancer's next post is spent defending Anidav. They then go on to vote AA, one of Anidav's biggest detractors.

except maybe not.

Yami is probably slipping on the details because he is trying to smooth over a scum train of thought.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think Dancer's claim is really weird, and his other behavior does have him on my scumlist, but I'm comfortable with my vote where it is right now.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

I have no idea why people are jumping on dancer for joining the thread late.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Also nobodies mentioned it, but is it even possible to trade cards? 1 person getting each card seems impossible and also setup spec is dumb and i still hate it holy gently caress

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think Dancer's claim is really weird, and his other behavior does have him on my scumlist, but I'm comfortable with my vote where it is right now.

do you think a scum Dancer catching up would pick Yami as a brand spanking new target to case? As opposed to playing it safe by only commenting on the big Anidav debacle, which has plenty to discuss and still look like you're really contributing?

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Like if my wincon was something weird like gather 5 pieces of exodia to win then i would not be a happy bunny

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also nobodies mentioned it, but is it even possible to trade cards? 1 person getting each card seems impossible and also setup spec is dumb and i still hate it holy gently caress

This is the crux of my current argument, yes.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

Jeabus didn't even say contradiction, though. So having that specific word in your head just cause of Jeabus sounds like you're scrambling to walk it back. But the details arent right cause this is not a genuine misunderstanding or change in opinion.

##vote Yami

Okay, no, you're doing this on purpose now.

##vote bifauxnen

How the gently caress is "Taking an anti-anidav stance" and then "defending anidav" (like I thought he did) not a contradiction? You're grasping at straws. The fact that he didn't specifically say contradiction is irrelevant.

Let's also talk about how your votes have been flying goddamn every which way with no weight behind them. You're looking for someone to lynch.

Bifauxnen posted:

really? I thought he was making a very good showing to make up for his earlier absence.

and he had a point about you.

##vote B-

Immediately after votes AA:

Bifauxnen posted:

hmm this smells fishy to me. The game started earlier than expected on a weekend, and once someone knows they're gonna die if they don't potst, what do you expect them to do? Go on not posting?

it's not like Dancer just shitposted his way back to safety, he's dropped actual reads.

I was especially impressed that he bothered to call out Yami. I'd actually been eyeing him up very quietly in the background cause I couldn't really find the right words for it, and I definitely didn't want to vote him just yet when he was contributing so well, but I could see his contributions being from a scum who wants to stay active. It's hard to put my finger on. He's posting a lot but everything still feels like it's not making waves.

If Dancer was a scum trying to catch up, I don't think he'd go out on a limb making an all new case like that on such a tricky target.

Starting to feel the AA vote a lot more.

##vote AA

Bifauxnen posted:

actually the Exodia idea makes perfect sense imo, it's the fact that Anidav makes this very straightforward flavor idea seem so drat confusing that frustrates me. Even if he really is just vanilla town explaining himself badly, he could be drawing lots of innocent townies into needless conflict and accusations with each other when they're just failing to interpret his tea leaves the same way.

This is why even though I think it's quite likely he can just be town Anidaving it up too much, I wouldn't actually mind if the vote went his way.

but of course, what I would prefer is to:

##vote Nep-Nep

buuuut that lurker list is also quite shameful

Bifauxnen posted:

ok off to work, it's lurkin time

please review what I said about Nep-Nep, taking my early D1 standalone emptyvote on Anidav as anything other than a groan of exasperation, and going on about how I'm leading the vote on him sounds soooo much like scum who already knows Anidav is town (or maybe 3p) and trying to get some dirt on me early

also that "I don't even see how this post could be town!!" lol try harder

##vote Nep-Nep again

The only votes in there that have reasoning behind them are the ones that actually target bif. The others are easy tag-along votes.

---

Also, you're wrong about the whole contradiction thing, but I honestly don't blame you on that. I am stressing out hardcore IRL because I'm worried about losing my job, and mafia makes my mental state even worse. I just asked for a replacement.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Also nobodies mentioned it, but is it even possible to trade cards?

>_>

<_<

yes.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yami Fenrir posted:

##vote bifauxnen

How the gently caress is "Taking an anti-anidav stance" and then "defending anidav" (like I thought he did) not a contradiction? You're grasping at straws. The fact that he didn't specifically say contradiction is irrelevant.

wait, now you DO want to point out a contradiction?

I asked you where the contradiction was, and you were all "oh wait maybe contradiction isnt the right word..."

I only care about Jeabus not saying contradiction because you were the one claiming you didn't mean to say it yourself, it was Jeabus who got the wrong word stuck in your head!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Why are people assuming that anidav's flip will mention exodia at all, or confirm what the mechanic is? I've seen plenty of games with weird side things that aren't mentioned in a flip

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Xad posted:

Why are people assuming that anidav's flip will mention exodia at all, or confirm what the mechanic is? I've seen plenty of games with weird side things that aren't mentioned in a flip

Mostly mona and AA I guess

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Yami Fenrir posted:

##vote bifauxnen

Let's also talk about how your votes have been flying goddamn every which way with no weight behind them. You're looking for someone to lynch.

Immediately after votes AA:

The only votes in there that have reasoning behind them are the ones that actually target bif. The others are easy tag-along votes.

---

Also, you're wrong about the whole contradiction thing, but I honestly don't blame you on that. I am stressing out hardcore IRL because I'm worried about losing my job, and mafia makes my mental state even worse. I just asked for a replacement.

That sucks, I hope things work out Yami!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

wait, now you DO want to point out a contradiction?

I asked you where the contradiction was, and you were all "oh wait maybe contradiction isnt the right word..."

I only care about Jeabus not saying contradiction because you were the one claiming you didn't mean to say it yourself, it was Jeabus who got the wrong word stuck in your head!

My point was that it was disingenious to say that Jeabus wasn't implying that Dancer contradicted themselves, because that post very much does.

Anyway, going to stick around for a few more minutes before going to bed since I was asked to play the rest of the day (at least the rest I'm awake for)

If you have any questions you want to direct at me before I'm gone, go ahead.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Xad posted:

I don't assume it will mention exodia.

I assume it will either A. reveal him as town at which point we have to take his claim with a grain of salt or B. He's scum and we still may have to take his claim with a grain of salt, but I think the instawin poo poo is unsubstantiated bullshit and that he's scum so.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yami Fenrir posted:

I am stressing out hardcore IRL because I'm worried about losing my job, and mafia makes my mental state even worse. I just asked for a replacement.

That sucks. Hope things improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Xad posted:

Like if this is what you believe I thought, I get being suspicious, but I don't think it will mention Exodia or his role specifics in the slightest, just whether or not he's town.

I don't think that he is.

If he is, he's an idiot and we look back regardless.

• Locked thread